Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Big Centipede posted:

Everybody I've known that had frillies had a lot of issues with them.

Blue tongues are cool as hell.

I guess, I guess I have been talking to to many breeders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Blue tongue are awesome. I still kinda regret selling mine, but she went to a gent with lots of other ones, and she was just chilling in a 40 breeder or outside and didn't get a lot of one on one care. That said, most reptiles don't seem to care too much!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Crested geckos are adorable and easy as heck to take care of. I think they're a perfect starter species for anyone able to maintain an enclosure under 82°F.

I feed mine little smoothies made from powdered Pangea as their main diet, and give them crickets or waxworms as treats.

After owning leopard geckos and beardies in the past, cresties are so much easier. It's nice not worrying about heat/UV sources, or having a large, steady supply of feeder insects.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Samila posted:

Crested geckos are adorable and easy as heck to take care of. I think they're a perfect starter species for anyone able to maintain an enclosure under 82°F.

I feed mine little smoothies made from powdered Pangea as their main diet, and give them crickets or waxworms as treats.

After owning leopard geckos and beardies in the past, cresties are so much easier. It's nice not worrying about heat/UV sources, or having a large, steady supply of feeder insects.

cresties are great and i may get one one day but i kinda want something handleble and sturdy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cresties are handleable if you do it daily or regularly, I don't handle mine so they freak out on Cleaning Day. Today was cleaning day.

Gargoyles are a bit more chill, it seems to me, and also just as handleable. That's Rhacodactylus auriculatus.

Both species can drop their tails. Cresties don't grow them back, while I've heard gargoyles can. Almost all adult cresties in the wild are tailless, though, so that's not something to freak out about too much - of my four cresties, three are now tailless. But if they're accustomed to being handled regularly and you treat them gently, they'll typically retain their tails, and they can be kind of fun to handle as they walk or jump from one of your hands to the other hand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Cresties are handleable if you do it daily or regularly, I don't handle mine so they freak out on Cleaning Day. Today was cleaning day.

Gargoyles are a bit more chill, it seems to me, and also just as handleable. That's Rhacodactylus auriculatus.

Both species can drop their tails. Cresties don't grow them back, while I've heard gargoyles can. Almost all adult cresties in the wild are tailless, though, so that's not something to freak out about too much - of my four cresties, three are now tailless. But if they're accustomed to being handled regularly and you treat them gently, they'll typically retain their tails, and they can be kind of fun to handle as they walk or jump from one of your hands to the other hand.

thanks. so far i have decided(for now, i won't be getting anything until august at the earliest) on a blue tongue and a ackie. both seem good and i am used to the feeding insects because of the frogs.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh, come on. Like you've never hung upside-down to eat breakfast. :rolleyes:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's a good dino friend

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey y'all I know this isn't really the ~right~ thread but I'm new to these subforum parts... there's a turtle outside my house in the driveway, it's very hot out (90+ with the heat index, it's humid) and I don't know anything about turtles. Here's a picture, in case what kind of turtle matters:

My main question is: Is this turtle okay and just hanging out in my yard, or do I need to get him some shade/water/another turtle to eat (I think that's how turtles work?)/perhaps turtles eat cats?

I just want Mr.Turtle to have a good day and not die. All help appreciated!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Where do you live?

That is a box turtle. I don't know them well enough to identify the subspecies. They are omniverous, you could offer some salad or fruit type stuff, and given the heat it might want shade and or water. But I would guess it's probably fine.

e. gulf coast or eastern box turtle, not sure which. You can google for care sheets. In some states it is illegal to take them from the wild. They are commonly kept as pets, so if you are in the wrong area for it to be a native turtle, it could be an escaped pet.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 23, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

North Carolina - it's about to start pouring rain here so I'm sure he'll be happier about the temperature shortly, if he's still around when I get home I'll offer him fruit and veggies and otherwise will assume he's just enjoying my driveway.

Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Learning/documents/Profiles/Eastern_Box_Turtle.pdf

Ok it's this guy then. Cool turtle! Your official state reptile.

e. ooh, you can participate in citizen science:

http://naturalsciences.org/research-collections/citizen-science/neighborhood-box-turtle-watch

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 23, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Oooooo I've always wanted to be a scientist! That's super neato thanks for the link, makes sense he's our state turtle since I see box turtles with those markings pretty often; it's torrential here now so I think he's turtled off to wherever he was heading in the first place and is enjoying the water, but if I see him again I'll definitely perform a science!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Where do you live?

That is a box turtle. I don't know them well enough to identify the subspecies. They are omniverous, you could offer some salad or fruit type stuff, and given the heat it might want shade and or water. But I would guess it's probably fine.

e. gulf coast or eastern box turtle, not sure which. You can google for care sheets. In some states it is illegal to take them from the wild. They are commonly kept as pets, so if you are in the wrong area for it to be a native turtle, it could be an escaped pet.

It's probably not an escaped pet with that bright of orange spots. Captive E. box turtles tend to pretty dull-colored.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I thought maybe pet only if he was outside his natural range, but he's not, so it's unlikely anyway.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We got a ball python yesterday. We were deciding on a snake or a veiled chameleon, and snake won out because of ease of care. The wife and I had herps as pets when we were kids (anoles, corn snake, frogs, toads) and currently have a crested gecko.

7ish month old male super pastel sugar, my daughter named him Montgomery Montgomery (Monty for short). He has a pretty peach coloring with the yellow that didn't come out well in the pictures, and he is reputedly very passive.

We're going to add another hide or two to the tank, and we're getting the adjustments right for temp/humidity. Not gonna touch him for a few days, then try to feed on Monday. We're excited!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Go ahead and cover most of that mesh top with an impermeable material like aluminum foil or you'll never maintain the humidity. Under tank heaters are also far better for warmth than just a single ceramic heat emitter; they need to be thermostat regulated, though.

Ball pythons are nice snakes, but most of us don't live in the semi tropical climates that they are adapted for.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

All good tips, thank you. Our heatpad and thermostat arrived in the mail today. We're going to use a thick clear vinyl for the top. We're in eastern VA, so right now we have the window open to the snake room and it's holding at about 60%. We gave him a rat pup yesterday and he ate it immediately, so we're all happy! We're going to actually take him out tomorrow night, once we hit 48 hours after the feeding.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Best feeling in the world: Trust.

Sat down with Elmore last night and he fell asleep on my arm, so of course I had to get some pics for this thread before I put him in his habitat for the night.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Goodness, I want a cuddly dinosaur baby!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Aaawwwh!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
About time to upgrade my axies again. I had four babies in a 10 gallon and removed one, because he wasn't eating. He's been in a floater tote ever since and been doing so much better. The other three moved to a 20 gallon and switched onto pellets easily. Now it's finally time for that 55.

And time to teach them to tong-feed. They already swim over to me when they see me coming!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
My hoggie hasn't been eating :saddowns: She's eaten for me one time since I've had her (small pinkies) and it's been nearly a month since then. I got a shipment of Reptilinks (frog) yesterday that I was sure she'd go for, but no luck. I'm anxious, but I've also read that some snakes won't eat for months and be fine so I don't know if I should be worried or not. She's dropped from 22g to 20g since her last feeding. She's just a baby still so shouldn't they be eating more frequently?

A usual feeding attempt is putting her in a plastic tub outside of her tank (don't want her associating her living space with feeding) and holding a pinky in her face with a hemostat (that's how her first feeding went), but she seems either uninterested or scared of it lately (hissing/striking). No interest in the frog sausage when I tried to feed her yesterday, although she didn't hiss at it. I even tried giving it to her with my fingers, but nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? Any tips on getting a hognose to eat?

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
Honestly I've had more luck feeding snakes in their tanks than out of them, the moving back and forth stressed mine out and I ended up with some regurgs and refusals until I just fed them in their own tanks. Snakes aren't the smartest things in the world but can tell the different between feeding day and you just handling them especially if they're handled regularly. You can even get them to associate certain things (like knocking on their hides with the forceps) with food day. If you do feed them in their tanks, make sure they're not on sand, as that can cause impacting.

I've not heard of those reptilinks before but you could also try reptoboost if their weight keeps dropping - I used that on a rescue snake that hadn't eaten since it was born and it came around after a few weeks.

I think there's other people on this thread that have more experience with hognose specifically though, I only interacted with a handful of those and they didn't refuse food. They were just really sassy and weird about it sometimes. If it gets more severe, especially the weight loss, no harm in taking them to a vet - but it's pretty normal for snakes to just straight up not eat for a while, unfortunately.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I used to feed all my snakes in the bathtub or in large plastic totes, but then some of the balls started eating easier when left in the tank, off bedding.

My hoggies always wanted live mice but I never had them on frogs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I used to feed all my snakes in the bathtub or in large plastic totes, but then some of the balls started eating easier when left in the tank, off bedding.

My hoggies always wanted live mice but I never had them on frogs.

what you do is. get a pet frog(dumpy or something, they are easy/nice pets) and then rub the dead mice on the frog, then wave it infront of the hoggies. they will smell it as a "frog". its what my gf does if hers doesnt eat.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Came back from vacay to find a giant hissing roach under the top screen of the enclosure. Guess not only did I miss one of the uneaten roaches, but it also wasn't a dubia.

I couldn't help but laugh, guess I'll go talk to the local guy I get my roaches from and share the story

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so i am probably getting an ackie. I will have enough room for it and found a great breeder for one. I found a good 50 gallon tank for it. and i have done a bunch of research but any other advice?

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 16, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i am probably getting an ackie. I will have enough room for it and found a great breeder for one. I found a good 50 gallon tank for it. and i have done a bunch of research but any other advice?

Once that ackie’s in puberty you’re gonna want something better than a 50 gal tank for it. Otherwise I’m super jealous. I’d love an ackie monitor one day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Once that ackie’s in puberty you’re gonna want something better than a 50 gal tank for it. Otherwise I’m super jealous. I’d love an ackie monitor one day.

the issue is finding a good tank. i have the room(new house, going in the game room or my bedroom) if anyone knows where to find good big terrariums. the breeder told me as long as i am only getting one that a 50/40 would be alright.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 16, 2018

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I recommend game room, I have a hard time sleeping when the animals decide to make a racket

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mocking Bird posted:

I recommend game room, I have a hard time sleeping when the animals decide to make a racket

yeah, thats the plan so far. so where can i find a biggish cage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats the plan so far. so where can i find a biggish cage.

Coming from a rabbit, aquatic turtle, and tortoise perspective, your best bet is to build one yourself or find somebody good to build one for you. Your nearest reptile show should have people showing off/selling their wares, but going on forums or just googling should land you some companies/craftspeople. There’s some really gorgeous stuff out there, depending on your taste and budget.

In my experience, fish tanks can be difficult to keep adequate airflow and dryness unless you’re going for full-desert environment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Coming from a rabbit, aquatic turtle, and tortoise perspective, your best bet is to build one yourself or find somebody good to build one for you. Your nearest reptile show should have people showing off/selling their wares, but going on forums or just googling should land you some companies/craftspeople. There’s some really gorgeous stuff out there, depending on your taste and budget.

In my experience, fish tanks can be difficult to keep adequate airflow and dryness unless you’re going for full-desert environment.

well i plant to get a front opening terrirum. i found some decent ones at local pet stores.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Could go with something like http://pvccages.com

Kinda pricey,but being pvc makes it a lot lighter than anything you could build yourself.

I use one for my BTS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
AFAIK the rule with monitors is ‘the more room the better.’ They’re active and smart, so the more enrichment and environment you can give them the more of their behavior you get to enjoy. I know it’s not at all comparable but it’s definitely the case with rabbits.

If you’ve got the budget for a monitor you could always go HAM and get something fancy built into a furniture piece.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

AFAIK the rule with monitors is ‘the more room the better.’ They’re active and smart, so the more enrichment and environment you can give them the more of their behavior you get to enjoy. I know it’s not at all comparable but it’s definitely the case with rabbits.

If you’ve got the budget for a monitor you could always go HAM and get something fancy built into a furniture piece.

its a graduation gift. i have no idea if my parents will spring for giant cage. its also room thats an issue. i can fit at least a 4 foot long by 3 feet cage.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
PVC enclosures are awesome. They're relatively lightweight and easy to clean. They're a bit pricy but totally worth it. Check out AP, Reptile Basics, or Dragons4You.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I hadn't ever heard of an ackie monitor but goodness, aren't they cute as poo poo! Please post lots of photos so I can live vicariously through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

I hadn't ever heard of an ackie monitor but goodness, aren't they cute as poo poo! Please post lots of photos so I can live vicariously through you.

i will if i get one. id get a skink but they need a much bigger cage and a varied diet(which is easier on some levels but hard on other) ackies just need crickets/feeder insects and some meet. I guess i am just worried that it won't "like" me. like i have read about how to tame them and most animals seem to like me but i am worried it will just hate my guts and it will be scared/miserable.