Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly I thought the amount of friendliness was kind of refreshing. I had a neighbor empire that was pathetic to me that was constantly claiming my worlds and threatening to wipe me off the map, that made WAY less sense than an inferior second place empire that was controlling the northwest quadrant trying to stay on my good side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bloodly posted:

There's nothing wrong with an AI player actually being nice for once. Makes a change from the standard KILL KILL KILL you usually get out of these things.

I actually liked that xenophile or friendly empires would help you out a bit, while other nations that either feared you or wanted to bribe their way into a NAP when they had bigger problems elsewhere would be proactive in their diplomacy. It's also nice that they're a lot less deceitful.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wiz posted:

The L-Gate chain is being completed a lot quicker than intended. We're going to make some tweaks.

Cool, thanks for answering. It's a really fun event now that I'm tackling it with two 30k stacks.

Loving the distant stars content, I'd honestly pay £5 for smaller anomaly/event packs in future in the same way you sell portrait packs packs for the other games. It's great to genuinely find new things when you're exploring the galaxy!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
'Mutual threat' opinion modifier is weird. I'm playing pacifist materialists this go around and I've got all these Fanatic Spiritualists around me that love me because something's giving them a +170 mutual threat modifier. I agree that fighting wars while an endgame crisis is going on is stupid but there's nothing really going on other than a Fanatic Purifier getting kinda ruined by a neighbor.

Edit: I guess it could be the nanites. I kinda forgot about them because after opening the L-gates the nanites came through but never left the systems the gates are in.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 29, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly I thought the amount of friendliness was kind of refreshing. I had a neighbor empire that was pathetic to me that was constantly claiming my worlds and threatening to wipe me off the map, that made WAY less sense than an inferior second place empire that was controlling the northwest quadrant trying to stay on my good side.

Yeah I liked it a lot more than some pathetic dinguses trying to claim all of the AE worlds I took over in the war in heaven.

Hey idiots! Maybe if you spent that influence on edicts you would suck less!!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I too appreciate the option for AIs to not hate the player, even though they tend to get into federations with the AIs that DO hate the player and then hamstring them from actually declaring war. Also I kind of wish that the two AIs that spent the last century claiming my territory instead of trying to bribe me, while sitting on "Superior" and higher relative power ratings based entirely on a huge naval capacity they weren't using, had bothered to actually conduct a military buildup to pursue those goals - well really they would probably STILL have gotten wrecked by my technologically superior fleets that went on to singlehandedly murder two endgame crises, but it's the thought that counts right? Maybe naval cap factors too much into "relative power" but I get that the sleeping giant strategy is a thing that needs to be accounted for in these calculations.

Do we know if the way the Unbidden crisis works since 2.0 is intended? Has anyone seen them actually build anchors now that military stations aren't built separately? I notice that their system-claiming starbases are "Dimensional Anchor-class", but they don't seem to have the effect that pre-2.0 anchors did, and I can still headshot the portal even if it's the first system of theirs I kill (yes, this doesn't end the crisis anymore like it did before the Unbidden rework, but being able to cut off reinforcements so quickly does really speed up fighting them compared to the Prethoryn or the Contingency.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 29, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm doing a game where I want to go down the synth path. Problem is, I haven't drawn Synths to research. I've had a spare Ascension slot since my third choice, and I'm now with only two slots left, and I still haven't drawn Synths. I've got Titans and I'm about to finish Mega-Engineering. I have the pre-requisites for the tech, too. It has just never given me the chance.

Perhaps The Flesh Is Weak should give you a higher chance of drawing Synths?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've found the Synth research to at least be much more common than that goddamn Synthetic Personality Matrix tech. That one's a real pain in the rear end. But yeah both of them could stand to be more common.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone done a break down of what civics and traits are good, bad, and traps? Some of them are obvious (more Unity, more minerals) but sometimes even those can be less than ideal when combined with other traits. If you take Syncretic or that slave one, for example, you probably don't need +minerals on your main species.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Milky Moor posted:

I'm doing a game where I want to go down the synth path. Problem is, I haven't drawn Synths to research. I've had a spare Ascension slot since my third choice, and I'm now with only two slots left, and I still haven't drawn Synths. I've got Titans and I'm about to finish Mega-Engineering. I have the pre-requisites for the tech, too. It has just never given me the chance.

Perhaps The Flesh Is Weak should give you a higher chance of drawing Synths?

The flesh is weak gives you a 4x modifier to your draw weight. Most likely your problem is your leader not having one of the following as their specialty, which gives a 0.2x modifier to draw weight: Industry, Curator, Maniacal, Spark of Genius. If you're spiritualist you get another 0.5x, but if you're materialist its a 2x bonus, and if you have the mechanist civic another 2x.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has anyone done a break down of what civics and traits are good, bad, and traps? Some of them are obvious (more Unity, more minerals) but sometimes even those can be less than ideal when combined with other traits. If you take Syncretic or that slave one, for example, you probably don't need +minerals on your main species.

The Wiki is pretty good, but doesn't really go into pluses/minuses. Will write something on it later. On that subject, Wiz, if you're still reading, you probably shouldn't be able to pick Mining Guilds and Slaving Guilds. That plus Fanatic Authoritarian and Caste System is obscene.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I can't believe I didn't realise I could spend all my energy on art monuments from the artisan troupe. I thought it was a one off (although there does seem to be some limit)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
2.1.1 Beta is out.

code:
#################################################################
######################### VERSION 2.1.1 ###########################

###################
# Free Features
###################

* Hyperlane density can now be changed to "full", which guarantees every possible hyperlane will exist
* You can now choose to start in a trinary or binary star system when creating your empire
* Experimental ETA feature put in for starship movement orders, telling you the approximate date of arrival
* Now possible to achieve partial victory in subjugation and liberation wars with occupied systems splitting off as a new subject or ally in the event of a status quo peace

###################
# Balance
###################

* Increased power usage of torpedoes
* Reduced frequency of gaining L-Gate Insights from unrelated anomalies by 70%
* A technology must now be researched after gathering all L-Gate insights before you can start the project to open the gates
* Reduced HP of missiles across the board, making point defense more potent
* The Prosperity faction will now be happier if you have war policy set to Defensive Wars Only
* The Imperialist faction is now also OK with ideological wars, and will only be angry if policy is set to Defensive Wars Only

###################
# UI
###################

* New icon for the L-cluster

###################
# Performance
###################

* Cached tile resource production for faster performance
* More border calculations optimization
* Borders are now only updated if they need to be, reducing unnecessary operations

###################
# Modding
###################

* Moved scripted variables for buildings into the scripted variables file
* Saved Event Targets should now always persist through Special Projects
* Added is_event_design setting for event ship designs that should be blocked by fleet manager
* Improved performance of Global SavedEventTargets

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

* Fixed a bug where guaranteed nearby colonizable worlds sometimes did not appear
* Fixed pop_modifier out of sync in MP
* Fixed several other OOS causes with convoluted causes
* Fixed several crashes with similarly arcane origin stories
* Added Distant Stars ownership icon for MP setup
* Fixed an OOS related to ship armor stats
* Fixed missing ambient sounds for certain star classes
* Fixed missing brain slug traits for scientists and admirals
* Fixed getting brain slugs and other non-robotic traits for event-spawned robotic leaders
* Fixed "Asteroid Collision" anomaly awarding the wrong deposit type
* Fixed "...and Hope?" achievement for opening the L-Cluster not being awarded
* Fixed missing text description for the L-Gate insight technology
* Missing word added in Phase Disruptor tech description
* Fixed other typos rendering the game literally unplayable
* Fixed some Horizon Signal-related building tooltips
* Improved janky Tiyanki death animations, giving rise to a desire for a new 1930's dance craze
* Fixed cases where you would sometimes not identify Leviathans after meeting them, this should also fix Curators not having anything to say about them
* Fixed The Gray Tempest event having 2 choices with identical outcomes, because it was painfully close to much of real life
* Gestalt consciousness can no longer pick liberation wars policy as it did nothing for them anyway
* Phaseshifting planet now has edge case handling if a nation completes the project before researching the anomaly
* Pacification of Space Amoebas or Crystals now turns them neutral instead of friendly because come on guy, you don't know me like that
* Fixed Fanatic Purifier, Devouring Swarm, and Determined Exterminator Empires suddenly becoming socially presentable when talking to the Curators about L-Gates
* Fixed instances where Empires created after initial L-Gate activation would be unable to use the L-Gates
* Fixed a text overflow issue in the Anomaly tracker
* Fixed "Bunker-Bot" anomaly not generating an L-Gate Insight
* Fixed a crash when the gateway type doesn't exist (affected certain mods)
* Fixed an OOS due to Experimental Subspace Navigation
* Added missing modifier string for all languages
* Marauder neighbor events can no longer trigger for empires that have no communications with them
* Properly calculate cached values when ships are created, meaning fleet power is now displayed correctly
* Fixed a bug where freshly created ships would not benefit immediately from bonus hull point effects
* Addressed a couple of edge cases that might cause improper Strategic Resource tech weights
* Added Go To buttons to a couple of Anomalies
* Fixed a cause of ship stats OOS. Some code was executed in unsafe order somehow when recalculating for hot join
* Scriptable localization error logging fix
* Asteroids can now glow
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-1-1-beta-patch-available-checksum-9b49.1101941/

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Most civics have a place where they're at least good, even if some are always great. The ones that are bad tend to involve unimportant systems.

My list of "Bad, never take":

Normal Civics:
Corvee System (-50% resettlement cost)
Efficient Bureaucracy (+2 core systems)
Exalted Priesthood (+20% governing ethics attraction)
Police State (-25% unrest, -25% pirate chance)
Warrior Culture (+20% army dmg, -20% army upkeep)

My list of "Situational, don't take without a good plan or swap to it later":
Aristocratic Elite (+2 governor level cap, +2 leader capacity)
Barbaric Despoilers (raiding stuff, no experience with it personally)
Distinguished Admiralty (+2 admiral level cap, +2 leader capacity)
Efficient Bureaucracy (-15% consumer goods)
Feudal Society (-50% subject power penalty, vassals can build starbases)
Free Haven (+50% alien migration)
Functional Architecture (-15% building cost)
Idealistic Foundation (+5% happiness)
Meritocracy (+1 leader levels, +1 leader capacity)
Philosopher King (+2 empire leader levels)
Shadow Council (-75% cost to influence elections)
Technocracy (+1 research alternatives)

"Good, take if it fits with your plan":
Agrarian Idyll (+1 unity/farm)
Inward Perfection (bunch of poo poo)
Nationalistic Zeal (-10% claim cost, -10% war exhaustion)
Slaver Guilds (+10% slave food/mineral production)
Fanatic Purifiers (bunch of poo poo)
Mechanist (-5% robot upkeep, 2 robot pops, the early tech that gives you +5% minerals)
Syncreatic Evolution (4 pops of second race, strong mineral/food/troops)
Life-Seeded/Post-Apoc (special homeworld start)

"Not sure, these are good defaults":
Beacon of Liberty (+15% unity)
Citizen Service (+1 unity from fortress, +15% naval cap)
Corporate Dominion (+1 energy per starbase trading hub, start with the tech for trading company, can build colony ships with energy)
Cutthroat Politics (-20% edict cost)
Imperial Cult (+25% edict length)
Mining Guilds (+10% minerals)
Parliamentary System (+25% faction influence gain)

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Wiz posted:

There's a bit of AI weirdness in 2.1 with it being too friendly in general. Should be sorted in 2.1.1.

Slider? ;)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ulmont posted:

2.1.1 Beta is out.

Neat. Hope the bug fixes/chanhes to galaxy generation and performance help tidy things up a bit. Guess I'll be starting yet another new game to try them out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I think it depends on what he means by friendly.

If he's saying the AI is giving too many gifts, then sure that's something that should probably be tweaked.

But boy howdy I just did my first game and it felt very sensible. Other Egalitarian empires and I got along very well. Empires that practiced Xenophile diplomacy and I could generally agree on a few things, and had some good trade deals going. I had ok friendships with a few Materialists/Militarists who also leaned Egalitarian/Xenophile which eventually lead to a pretty solid Grand Alliance of sorts ( that theoretically would have ended with a Victory/Crisis beat had it not bugged out and my endgame just completely broke. ). Meanwhile I still struggled with a few Spiritualist Empires even though I was Spiritualist, and I still had issues with Slavers/Empires.

I think the only bit of weirdness I had in the game was our Materialist/Egalitarian Fed buddy managed to invite both the Spiritualist Empire that really hated me and the Inward Perfection Empire that liked nobody into Federation Associate status, which eventually brought both up to pretty friendly levels with the rest of us. That probably shouldn't have happened.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oh, I think I saw the Leviathan bug, and was wondering what the question marks we're about. Maybe they'll fix the observation station ownership one next :p

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ZypherIM posted:

The flesh is weak gives you a 4x modifier to your draw weight. Most likely your problem is your leader not having one of the following as their specialty, which gives a 0.2x modifier to draw weight: Industry, Curator, Maniacal, Spark of Genius. If you're spiritualist you get another 0.5x, but if you're materialist its a 2x bonus, and if you have the mechanist civic another 2x.

I've had Spark of Genius for the entire run on my Engineering lead but nothing else of those (I've managed to get a whole bunch of life extension perks + the option from the RGB event, so this guy is extremely old at this point -- my first head of state is still alive!) Not Spiritualist or Materialist but I'm working on embracing the latter faction just to increase my chances.

My luck must be abysmal.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rookersh posted:

I think it depends on what he means by friendly.

If he's saying the AI is giving too many gifts, then sure that's something that should probably be tweaked.

But boy howdy I just did my first game and it felt very sensible. Other Egalitarian empires and I got along very well. Empires that practiced Xenophile diplomacy and I could generally agree on a few things, and had some good trade deals going. I had ok friendships with a few Materialists/Militarists who also leaned Egalitarian/Xenophile which eventually lead to a pretty solid Grand Alliance of sorts ( that theoretically would have ended with a Victory/Crisis beat had it not bugged out and my endgame just completely broke. ). Meanwhile I still struggled with a few Spiritualist Empires even though I was Spiritualist, and I still had issues with Slavers/Empires.

I think the only bit of weirdness I had in the game was our Materialist/Egalitarian Fed buddy managed to invite both the Spiritualist Empire that really hated me and the Inward Perfection Empire that liked nobody into Federation Associate status, which eventually brought both up to pretty friendly levels with the rest of us. That probably shouldn't have happened.

I agree - if it's just too high in general, then by all means it should be fixed.

I just think a galaxy-wide friendliness slider would be an interesting option to have. Obviously, ideological differences should still matter, and it definitely isn't applicable to genocidal empires or crisis things.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The 'looking ahead for Stellaris' presentation has made a comeback so those of us who missed it can watch it again in its entirety.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1001380171537113088?s=20

Some if the changes sound like they're way off into the future but every aspect of the game is being looked at to some degree.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ulmont posted:

2.1.1 Beta is out.

[code]#################################################################
######################### VERSION 2.1.1 ###########################

###################
# Free Features
###################
* Now possible to achieve partial victory in subjugation and liberation wars with occupied systems splitting off as a new subject or ally in the event of a status quo peace

Loving this OP

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

When is embracing / supressing factions worth it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VikingofRock posted:

If you like the results?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I have a destroyed ringworld in a black hole system called Hells Maw. I colonized a tomb world there and the ring world notice went away but there's still clearly a destroyed ring around the system. Can you not have a ring world and a planet in the same system? What would I need to rebuild the ring world?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Embracing a faction will change your governing ethics, so if you want to do that you embrace them. Suppressing them is good if you don't want too many people joining one that's going to just be unhappy about everything, and can spare the influence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gay Horney posted:

I have a destroyed ringworld in a black hole system called Hells Maw. I colonized a tomb world there and the ring world notice went away but there's still clearly a destroyed ring around the system. Can you not have a ring world and a planet in the same system? What would I need to rebuild the ring world?

You just need mega-engineering, once you've got that the ringworld should work. Ive never seen a planet in the same system though, that's neat.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can't wait to crack open the 2.1.1 beta, had two games this weekend where performance during mid game turned to dog poo poo, locking up every 30/40 seconds.

Also wiz your game owns hard.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Lots of good stuff in the new beta. :sigh: Of course this means now I'll have to restart again

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Looks like a nerf to torp corvette fleets.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Gay Horney posted:

Can’t build a ring world in an inhabited system. Dump the colony and you’ll be able to repair the ring.

VikingofRock posted:

When you want to add/rank up the ethos of the faction in your empires ethics, and don’t mind losing whatever ethos has the lowest representation in your empire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have far too strong a sense of fairness and kindness to handle this new gift system. I totally abandoned a juicy war target because they gave me like 9,000 energy, which was pretty impressive for a country of just a few systems. I felt like after taking the gift there was no possible way I could go to war with them. Ended up giving them 10,000 minerals as thanks.

They eventually asked me for a protectorate, so it all worked out!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Turns out Fallen Empires have access to the Apocalypse DLC even if I don't have it. Wonder if I can get the Colossus achievements by annexing them?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baronjutter posted:

I have far too strong a sense of fairness and kindness to handle this new gift system. I totally abandoned a juicy war target because they gave me like 9,000 energy, which was pretty impressive for a country of just a few systems. I felt like after taking the gift there was no possible way I could go to war with them. Ended up giving them 10,000 minerals as thanks.

They eventually asked me for a protectorate, so it all worked out!

Yeah I have had two countries decide they wanted to be protectorates of me this latest run, I liked it.

One of them was all victims of claims from the advanced start machine consciousness I had had good relationships with the whole time (I managed to get a RA with them for a good while :getin: )

They're still friendly but they want those systems and they can't have em, they're mine now I already absorbed those dorks into the Mind

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is this beta save compatible? I know usually the answer is yes but I see a lot of people saying they need to restart now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have a save that crashes every time i try to do stuff involving merging troop transports and also at random hopefully this will fix it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Dove back in for Distant Stars, my first empire got a solid start and one by one literally every strategic resource except habitability and food production fit into my initial expansion before any wars were declared and I got a pretty early start to my psionic ascension.

Loving this update, best the game has ever been imo

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've started this game multiple times but have yet to live through any kinds of wars or crises, I always end up getting ground to paste. Is there a (good) quick start guide or anything online?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I've started this game multiple times but have yet to live through any kinds of wars or crises, I always end up getting ground to paste. Is there a (good) quick start guide or anything online?

The entire objective of the early game is to make the red gem number go up basically. If you have resources you can afford things like fleets and stations to not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wiz posted:

There is in fact special gift dialogue (I just tested it and it works fine). Are you sure that they used the standard dialog when gifting?
Oh. Maybe I misread it. I'm like 60% sure it was normal "do you want this deal" dialog because I thought it was funny at the time, but I may have read the flavor text wrong, because there was still a big old "they give: 3000 credits, you give: [blank]" box underneath the dialogue. I'll screenshot it it if happens again.

Eltoasto posted:

Looks like a nerf to torp corvette fleets.
I was actually playing with a massive torpedo corvette fleet before this patch and it was utterly destroyed by a fleet with half its fleet power. Naturally I don't know why. They had some point defense but it didn't seem like they had overwhelming point defense. They were all in on carriers though. Do fighters help act as point defense? If so then it seems like the AI can already figure out and counter torpedo corvette spam.

My biggest issue with the system as it is now is that... war specialization isn't really my thing. It's not super compelling to me. Battleships and space carriers are cool, but the overall systems are not what I'm into. It's fine that they're there and that they're important, the game shouldn't cater to my own particular preferences, but all this means I basically just go by fleet power when designing my fleet, assuming bigger numbers are better.

If I make a fleet full of torpedo corvettes its number is twice as big as a balanced fleet or one organized around capital ships. Just aesthetically, I think it'd be fun to make a capital ship focused fleet, but the game makes fun of me by giving me a small fleet power number when I do that. I'm beginning to see that maybe torpedo corvettes have inflated numbers, but I'm kind of at a loss for how I should be judging my fleets.