Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Taintrunner posted:

See I would love that. Some sort of hardcore over the top Ball only fight club

I can't say as I really care about that, but I would love to see random matches like that in these Gunpla shows. Tournaments having matches where the participants are given a random unit that they either can't modify at all or are only given a few minutes total to maybe give it a new paint job or affect simple customization of that level on. Everyone in random units, or all the same basic unit beyond aesthetics would be fun for a match here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to Ball Only Fight Club, GBN's best ERP guild, 18+ only

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When I played the first Planetside with goons we did a biker gang gimmick where we all made characters with "Snake" in their names, armed ourselves with shotguns, rolled around with ATVs, and settled any disputes with knife fights.

If Gundam Build Divers were a thing someone would totally do some gimmick like that with Balls only. Presumably something more funny than clueless Federation child soldiers though.

edit: better than roleplaying Gihren Youth in Oggos though

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 24, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BattleMaster posted:

When I played the first Planetside with goons we did a biker gang gimmick where we all made characters with "Snake" in their names, armed ourselves with shotguns, rolled around with ATVs, and settled any disputes with knife fights.

If Gundam Build Divers were a thing someone would totally do some gimmick like that with Balls only. Presumably something more funny than clueless Federation child soldiers though.

edit: better than roleplaying Gihren Youth in Oggos though

The Oggo is a precious cinnamon roll who is too pure for this world, I will not have you insulting it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

The Oggo is a precious cinnamon roll who is too pure for this world, I will not have you insulting it

Thematically I love the Oggo, it's just that they get a little uncomfortable with the Nazi Germany analogies in the episodes it shows up in.

edit: What about a Zudah squad that is really hyped about dying as their shoddy propaganda MS disintegrates around them from its own acceleration?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 24, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Guncannon team that's just a bunch of juvenile delinquents, loitering around and smoking.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

A Guncannon team that's just a bunch of juvenile delinquents, loitering around and smoking.

Only acceptable if at least one of them has modified their Guncannon to have it's cannon be a massive pompadour coming out of the unit's head and uses a beam bat.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Only acceptable if at least one of them has modified their Guncannon to have it's cannon be a massive pompadour coming out of the unit's head and uses a beam bat.

Of course.

They'd also have a modified Io Frame with the IBO bat and the Flauros's backpack. A Shiden Kai, if you will.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not really a Guncannon at that point, though if it somehow transformed in to a motorbike instead of a stabilizing mode for the extra long/hard shots I doubt anyone would care. The gang leader should look extra tough anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you thought the Seravee Scherazade was lacking for firepower compared to its original version with that underslung arm cannon, the HG kit reveals that the mini-Ptolemaios is its version of the GN Bazooka. It just assembles and hovers in front of the Scherezade, with fold-out handles on the sides of the engine pods :allears:.

Also the mode where it mounts two of the pods to its arms and climbs on the engines as stilts is called Efreet Mode.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I saw Aggu in this episode.

Series is instantly saved.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'd say that was a fairly middling episode. The crux of it leaned heavily on the Riku vs Blue kid and Riku vs Ogre rematches, but they kinda robbed us of the blue kid fight by having it happen off screen. What we saw of the Riku vs Ogre fight was pretty good, but it was interupted predictably by more break decal nonsense, so we end up with basically zero resolution except that blue kid's teammates love him anyway despite being a garbage character.

The rest of the team may as well have not even been there. Apart from that one bit for Ayame's story, nobody really even got a chance to do anything.

Overall though I think the series is suffering from a lack of direction, or at least very confused direction. The series made us sit through a lot of garbage on the premise that it was all about Riku's rise to the top of the Diver leagues, but then that disappeared abruptly and it was all about the fellowship of Riku making a name for themselves in the tournaments. Now in the next episode preview all the cool dudes are making a federation to go against the forces of darkness. :psyduck: Seriously guys, calm down, all we need is a well planned tournament storyline with the occasional wacky side quest. I don't think there's much to be gained by making an epic storyline.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So after this episode I think I've reached the point where my response to a break decal showing up is similar to that of team rocket showing up in an episode of pokemon. Except team rocket was supposed to be funny, not the grave threat facing the world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

So after this episode I think I've reached the point where my response to a break decal showing up is similar to that of team rocket showing up in an episode of pokemon. Except team rocket was supposed to be funny, not the grave threat facing the world.

Have you considered what's probably happening in the dozens of situations where there aren't pro-tier players able to stop them on-hand? Like, oh, the bit at the end of the episode?

RillAkBea posted:

I'd say that was a fairly middling episode. The crux of it leaned heavily on the Riku vs Blue kid and Riku vs Ogre rematches, but they kinda robbed us of the blue kid fight by having it happen off screen. What we saw of the Riku vs Ogre fight was pretty good, but it was interrupted predictably by more break decal nonsense, so we end up with basically zero resolution except that blue kid's teammates love him anyway despite being a garbage character.

The rest of the team may as well have not even been there. Apart from that one bit for Ayame's story, nobody really even got a chance to do anything.

Overall though I think the series is suffering from a lack of direction, or at least very confused direction. The series made us sit through a lot of garbage on the premise that it was all about Riku's rise to the top of the Diver leagues, but then that disappeared abruptly and it was all about the fellowship of Riku making a name for themselves in the tournaments. Now in the next episode preview all the cool dudes are making a federation to go against the forces of darkness. :psyduck: Seriously guys, calm down, all we need is a well planned tournament storyline with the occasional wacky side quest. I don't think there's much to be gained by making an epic storyline.

The only premise it's ever fed the audience is "GBN is pretty cool you guys, hey check out this aspect of it in this/next week's episode!". Also the fight against Do-ji was never meant to be a rematch; It was a humiliatingly-quick beatdown, which was the whole point of it. I think you're over-valuing a lot of stuff in the show, because it's pretty clear that GBN's got the same attitude to it that Gunpla Battle had in Build Fighters; It's just a fun game played with friends, nothing more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Team Rocket is a group of fun characters with personality, a thing this show doesn't even have for its main cast let alone villains

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
It's baffling to me. Like how could you listen to your brother and teammates jabber on all day about "worthy meals" and fighting with honour. Then decide to use nothing but cheap tactics like beating up noobs and lovely decals that you saw first hand how ineffective they were against skilled play. gently caress this stupid storyline

Got to see Momo rolling around in the snow like a scared yoga ball. So at least this 25min show has a good 4 seconds of gold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

It's baffling to me. Like how could you listen to your brother and teammates jabber on all day about "worthy meals" and fighting with honour. Then decide to use nothing but cheap tactics like beating up noobs and lovely decals that you saw first hand how ineffective they were against skilled play. gently caress this stupid storyline

...Because he thinks he's weak compared to his teammates, especially when they're going on about 'worthy meals' and fighting with honour, and saw Break Decals as a way to get strong? :shrug: It's not exactly subtle writing, and it's pretty clearly shown as a poorly-thought-out decision by someone who was desperate to earn their brother's approval.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you considered what's probably happening in the dozens of situations where there aren't pro-tier players able to stop them on-hand? Like, oh, the bit at the end of the episode?

Something way more interesting than the main story?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A huge problem with the plot is that all the established high level players are honorable good guys, and all the Break Decal users are low-level nobodies who want to crack into the higher rankings. And our main characters, despite being newbies who don't know how the game works, are immediately lumped in with the high-level good guys.

That is the opposite of a good story.

The guys who have been at the top for a long time should be the bad guys using Break Decals to maintain their position, and the good guys should be the plucky underdogs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

A huge problem with the plot is that all the established high level players are honorable good guys, and all the Break Decal users are low-level nobodies who want to crack into the higher rankings. And our main characters, despite being newbies who don't know how the game works, are immediately lumped in with the high-level good guys.

That is the opposite of a good story.

The guys who have been at the top for a long time should be the bad guys using Break Decals to maintain their position, and the good guys should be the plucky underdogs.

A good story is a toxic playerbase that just discourages people from playing because the top players openly hack the game into oblivion without penalty?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A good story is a toxic playerbase that just discourages people from playing because the top players openly hack the game into oblivion without penalty?

That's a setting, not a story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a setting, not a story.

Not the point. Online games are full of players that take their lead from what the pro players do. They run break decals, every wannabe will run break decals. So now there's nobody playing because the game's lousy with hackers trashing everything with break decal side-effects, zero moderation from the admins, aaand why would any new players like the protagonists want to try it? Or why would it even still be popular among normal players?

It's not exactly a great story, but it's not hard to follow "we want this bullshit to stop before it wrecks the game for everyone and they all stop playing".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not the point. Online games are full of players that take their lead from what the pro players do. They run break decals, every wannabe will run break decals. So now there's nobody playing because the game's lousy with hackers trashing everything with break decal side-effects, zero moderation from the admins, aaand why would any new players like the protagonists want to try it? Or why would it even still be popular among normal players?

It's not exactly a great story, but it's not hard to follow "we want this bullshit to stop before it wrecks the game for everyone and they all stop playing".

The Break Decals could be new, or something that's only used rarely to shut down the most talented new-comers. And maybe they are having a negative effect on the player base at large, and the protagonists fighting against the entrenched players are also fighting to bring the game back to it's old glory

I'm not writing a loving treatment here, I'm just saying that the current dynamics in Build Divers is hosed up and boring. The problem the protagonists have to overcome is some no-names newbies are trying to take a shortcut to the top, instead of just being immediately being welcomed to the top for nebulous reasons by the close clique of high-level players like they were.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Break Decals could be new, or something that's only used rarely to shut down the most talented new-comers. And maybe they are having a negative effect on the player base at large, and the protagonists fighting against the entrenched players are also fighting to bring the game back to it's old glory

I'm not writing a loving treatment here, I'm just saying that the current dynamics in Build Divers is hosed up and boring. The problem the protagonists have to overcome is some no-names newbies are trying to take a shortcut to the top, instead of just being immediately being welcomed to the top for nebulous reasons by the close clique of high-level players like they were.

As long as we are rewriting Divers why not remove decal break and just do a tournament or MMO setting with the main groups rise to the top. Or if you must keep the break decals, have it be a sailor Moon/ power rangers thing where me. Salty infects people or their gunpla and they go berserk with all the negatives on the game too. It removes the constant "this will make me stronger". Anything but the current toothless stuff. Since next few episodes will either solve it or just fizzle into another super gunpla breaking a few things and Riku stopping it immediately.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Break Ghiraga was a really cool design and it did a better job of selling Break Decals as making you a lot stronger(giant super laser beams and horrible monster screeching from your mobile suit which has sprouted a dozen blade-tentacles and heals wounds) instead of previous examples which have boiled down to "you glow purple". I didn't mind it not doing a lot.

I'm hoping the next episode involving a grand alliance of dudes and presumably the big reveal of hooded guy means that the Mass Diver stuff is just the first half of the series and we'll wrap it up by the end of the first cour so the second cour can focus on tournament stuff.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 29, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I fell asleep and didn’t finish this episode, break decals plot is bad

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I haven't watched for three episodes. Until we get a tournament or something - anything - with forward momentum I can't care about Riku and his cardboard cutout team. Thought about watching the most recent because it seemed like a potential rival combing back but the threads' reception is more than enough to keep me away

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This ep wasn't really about a rival coming back; the rival coming back is actually almost completely interrupted by MASS DIVER! so the rematch is postponed.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
It felt to me as if the message was a repeat of last week. "You don't have to be good. You just need to have fun."

Except that last week's version worked better with me. While we only saw the two girls instead of the whole group, at least they were shown to enjoy hanging out with each other before the whole 'I don't want to hold you back!' incident. And the response was more worry for the girl who felt like the third wheel than plain rage of disappointment.
By contrast we see all of hornboy's group but apart from them saying his company is appreciated at the very end, the rest of the episode interactions are more like; "We are all really strong, that's why we got in here. Except for you, you're a wimp. Why are you even here, hurr-hurr." And; "Are you shaming me? You'd better not be shaming me. Oh, you are shaming me! RAGE!"

That said, all-the-tails Ghirarga is awesome and so much better than the regular model. I don't know who designed that, but drat you rock. If I had the money, I'd buy a whole pack of the things just so I can try (and fail) making one. Writers, are you listening? Take pity on hornboy and have him mod his gunpla so it has all the tails all the time!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Report Ayame afk

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Zodack posted:

I haven't watched for three episodes. Until we get a tournament or something - anything - with forward momentum I can't care about Riku and his cardboard cutout team. Thought about watching the most recent because it seemed like a potential rival combing back but the threads' reception is more than enough to keep me away

Did see the fight between main group and Rommel's newbies? Because that's been the only episode worth watching so far. Even with it's own problems, episode manages to deliver fun if you can believe it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sazabi posted:

Did see the fight between main group and Rommel's newbies? Because that's been the only episode worth watching so far. Even with it's own problems, episode manages to deliver fun if you can believe it.
I liked the bearguy episode. :3:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sazabi posted:

It's weird. It was the only episode I liked, but it wasn't enough to even get me to try the next episode.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sazabi posted:

Yeah, that's the last I saw and I really enjoyed it. But afterwards it seemed to go back to business as normal and no amount of bear bear charm could make me waste half an hour.

I don't wanna be jaded or come down on the show but I loved BF and Tru really was a letdown in a lot do ways, so I thought surely this time they could get it right again.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm starting to feel like the reason the original Build FIghters was such a lightning in the bottle show was because there was no expectation of success. It almost seems like the writers and animators were simply given the directive "gunpla but you can fight with it irl" and carte blanche to run with that premise however they wanted; but after its success, any sequel would be under much tighter scrutiny by the studio and that's where you start getting characters and plots that are clearly written by committee.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah, bandai syndrome

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

3 posted:

I'm starting to feel like the reason the original Build FIghters was such a lightning in the bottle show was because there was no expectation of success. It almost seems like the writers and animators were simply given the directive "gunpla but you can fight with it irl" and carte blanche to run with that premise however they wanted; but after its success, any sequel would be under much tighter scrutiny by the studio and that's where you start getting characters and plots that are clearly written by committee.
Build Fighters also had the benefit of the previous entries wearing down a lot of people, especially AGE. All previous entries (SEED Destiny, 00, and AGE) ultimately ended with the same message ("let's all understand each other and put aside our differences") and suffered from behind-the-scenes drama/meddling from Sunrise hurting the end product. AGE in particular was such a disappointment that a bunch of Gunpla from Kio's arc were either cancelled or shelved and never released, something I do not believe any previous Gundam show had happen to it. So, put yourself in the situation Sunrise was in before Build Fighters was greenlit; you are coming off a major letdown performance from your company's cash cow, and people are growing tired of the same poo poo, different verse. You could either charge ahead with the same old formula, or you could gamble on something fresh and new. Sunrise choose the latter and ended up with a wonderful love letter to the franchise that was a surprise hit because like you said, there were very low expectations thanks to AGE bombing hard. The stars lined up perfectly for Build Fighters' success, and thankfully Sunrise didn't miss the opportunity to jump onboard.

Of course, what hurt Try was...Sunrise defaulting to the same old formula that hurt them before: executives meddling with the product to look like something the executives thought would be good, not what the creators wanted. Like, the director (or writer, I forget who it was) of Try went on record saying that the 3v3 format for Try was something Sunrise pushed onto them, and the staff responded by creating opponents that were either three underdeveloped characters with one or two describing features, or one big shot character with two disposable flunkies to be knocked out quickly (see: Gyanko, Junya, and Simon) to have the 1v1 fights the staff liked working with. Build Divers, on the other hand, seems to be suffering from the problem of "we have a new setting (the GBN) to introduce, but we want to try and flesh things out a lot longer than we did before". Divers wants to do a slow burn approach, but the problem is that the show comes off more like it is dragging its heels instead of slowly fleshing out the GBN. Like, it feels like the team have something planned with the Break Decal plot thread, but they are waiting way too long to pull the trigger and really get that plot thread (presumably, the main plot of the show) going at full speed. I don't know if it's the staff or Sunrise themselves holding things up, but I do feel that Divers needs to stop spinning its wheels and get going already. We know the Break Decals are bad and gently caress up the GBN, some *thing* is off about Sarah, and possibly one of Koichi's old buddies may be behind the Break Decals (assuming cloaked dude is one of those people). Now, in the words of Monty Python, "Get on with it".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zodack posted:

Yeah, that's the last I saw and I really enjoyed it. But afterwards it seemed to go back to business as normal and no amount of bear bear charm could make me waste half an hour.

I don't wanna be jaded or come down on the show but I loved BF and Tru really was a letdown in a lot do ways, so I thought surely this time they could get it right again.

I think part of it was that, while the episode was fun, it didn't do anything to address the show's main problems. The main cast still was empty of personality, the plot isn't going anywhere, there's no real stakes...

It was a decent fight, with some nice jokes, but it didn't build (heh) on anything, or leave a foundation for later episodes. Just more objects in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the fight against Do-ji was never meant to be a rematch; It was a humiliatingly-quick beatdown, which was the whole point of it.

I get the point of it, it's just annoying that they lazily finished it off screen. It was a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the difference between Do-ji, the experienced but untalented player, and Riku, the plucky new talent. They could then take a few of Rikus moves from the Do-ji fight an have him play them against Ogre who, being both experienced and talented, would play off of them with relative ease. So overall we get a more concrete idea of where Riku stands in his progression and also reinforces the idea that while he was able to mostly keep up with Ogre even in Transam, he would have ultimately lost the fight if it hadn't been interrupted. Then we could actually have Riku show some god drat emotion over the whole thing.

Predictions for next episode: Rikus gonna get given a hilariously important position in the federation of cool dudes.

• Locked thread