Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

What. You buy a pin kit online, and a new random key (x10) at the locksmith. I did the last rental I rented for about $25, which was 8 cylinders. lovely landlord wouldn't do it.

Don't judge me. Or let me rekey your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why would you gut a working security loop? Just disable it. If you sell it’s an added price bonus.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Don't judge me. Or let me rekey your house.

I replaced my locks with rabid raccoons. Judging right now.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

MrYenko posted:

I’m gutting the entire battery-backed-up active-monitored multi-zone all-opening security system in my house, because gently caress that noise.

Kept the sign. :v:

(Previous owners were a special flavor of paranoid.)

Everything went smoothly at our closing except previous owners: "Oh by the way we are on contract for a security system for another 7 months. Can we jus switch that over to you guys?"

Us: "Um no"

Kept the sign, installed a ring doorbell.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our previous owners had 3 years left (out of 5) and the security company actually would not let them switch the contract over to us; they had to either pay the remainder or get a new 5-year contract on their new house. Those kinds of things really rub me the wrong way

Since a new contract comes with new equipment anyway, they left behind all of the old equipment, even easy to remove stuff like freestanding cameras.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

QuarkJets posted:

I kind of looked into this awhile ago and it seemed like the only advice was "everyone MUST have a security system" and can you guess who was providing that advice?

What I wound up figuring out was:

A) A security system won't prevent your house from getting burgled. It may encourage a burglar to leave sooner, but they already sort of have that incentive. In fact, security alarms caused by burglaries tend to have pretty slow response times (because 80% of alarms are actually false alarms).

B) It won't help you with a home invasion any more than a phone would. If you're worried about ninjas swinging into your bedroom through the window and incapacitating you before you can make a phone call then get a security system, I guess

C) You can get insurance coverage against break-ins (both for damage to your home and the value of property lost), and that's a shitload less expensive than active monitoring. A security system will decrease your insurance rate a tiny bit, but it's negligible compared to the cost of active monitoring.

That said, active monitoring comes with a bunch of other services, like they'll call the fire department if a fire is detected and they might be a core part of a smart-home system anyway, if that's something that you want. Knowing that there's a company watching over your house is valuable to some people even if it doesn't make sense financially.

This seems a bit over the top in the other direction.

A) This really depends on the type of burglar and is going to be area specific. If its a druggie or kids just doing a smash and grab? Maybe they'd of been just as quick regardless or maybe it scares them off as soon as they set foot in the door before they take anything at all. At the very least it may mean one room gets tossed vs your entire house and you don't necessarily need active monitoring for this. As far as response times go that going to depend on a lot of factors but anecdotally the one time my system malfunctioned and went off resulting in a call out the response was under 5 minutes.

B) Honestly this the second biggest pro in my mind, you joke about ninjas but if someone does bust in at night it's totally possible I'd sleep through it, but not with an alarm blaring. This again doesn't really require paying someone to actively monitor your system.

C) I'd have to agree here, anecdotally again but my insurance rates barely budged due to our security system, don't do it for that reason.

The biggest reason my wife and I prefer to have a system, and a monitored one at that, is the connected fire alarms. If our house burns down while we're gone and all our stuff is lost, that's terrible and all, but it's just stuff, we don't feel the same way about our pets and if the FD can show up in enough time just to get the doors open so they can escape its worth it. Though I'll admit, none of this is very likely and depending on how you look at it a security system is just an overly expensive insurance policy.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 28, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I guess if you sleep like the dead and are worried about a home invasion then an alarm system is something you could do. But I think a dog might be a better choice for that

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Active monitoring borders on scam behavior, and their sales pitch is entirely fear-based. So go ahead and give them a lot of money, and get the service agreement along with it.

While you're at it, sign up for bottled water delivery, a 3-year carpet cleaning contract, and a car wash subscription. That contractor who stopped by because he was in the area and noticed your roof needs some work? Totally legit. Good news, Account Services is calling and you're eligible to refinance your credit card debt!

Sorry, this sort of thing bothers me.

If you're in a position where an alarm monitoring fee is a noticable amount of money, you probably won't benefit from it. Put those dollars in your emergency fund instead.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I did the junior level DIY security work. Steel plate on the inside of the doorframes and the 3M film on windows to make breaking in annoying. Also timed lights at night. I just keep most valuables in a bank deposit box. :shrug:

Although it would be fun to get discrete cameras in case someone breaks in to steal my 7 year old computer.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zauper posted:

Not really, it comes down to how you feel about it. I live in a metro with a fair amount of break-ins, so I get home security. Frankly, the largest deterrent is the sign that says you have a security system, which makes break ins less likely. To the other points, it's not likely to make a big difference otherwise.

However, for me, we use an alarm.com system which integrates a lot of smart home stuff -- so my locks, most of my lights, and doorbell are all integrated so I can talk to and see someone at the front door if they ring the door bell; I can unlock the door for them, etc. It also controls my thermostat and I have water sensors, so when the GFI on my sump pump popped and it overflowed last week, the alarm went off before there was any damage and I was able to fix it.

To me, the whole home stuff is a lot more interesting than the pure security stuff you'll get from ADT (don't use ADT).

You won't net save money with active monitoring.

I think the previous owners had the same idea with the signs. The security system didn't look like it had been touched since the 80s and was unplugged but there were new ADT stickers and signs everywhere.

What smart home central hub are you using? I've been interested in doing that but not sure what to go with. I have a smart lock, thermostat, and water heater so just need to tie it all together and work on converting lights.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm going to give the the decades-long volunteer firefighter, many years pro paramedic and pro-ff/fire marshal take on this alarm thing:

If you want it for security whatever. The blue canaries police will show up when they show up for that kind of thing.

But while we get an INCREDIBLE volume of false alarms for fires that aren't fires (smells and bells)........the amount of full on structure fires we deal with since (did someone call it "active"?) central station monitoring became drat near the norm in our district has dropped off by drat near 80%. Most times the worst we deal with is a room & contents because SOMETHING alerts us when people aren't home or asleep, or trying to deal with it themselves "leading off with the half inch" (garden hose) before we get automatically called. We get there before it's a "save the basement" situation. Because something automated let us know.

Do we know most of these are gonna be bullshit? Yes. Do we roll an actual fire truck on them? No. But an officer shows up to qualify the call while we have people at the station on a truck ready to roll or roll the truck at non-emegerncy speed.

Take that for what you will and whatever value you feel it's worth.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 29, 2018

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So my current dishwasher is currently hardwired (I think) in, if I were to replace it with a new dishwasher, do I need to buy anything for it power wise?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Probably not, all I’ve ever needed was maybe some replacement wire connector caps and electrical tape.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Probably not, all I’ve ever needed was maybe some replacement wire connector caps and electrical tape.
Electrical tape..for what?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Unnecessary, but I sometimes put a bit below the connection to hold the wires together as I twist on the cap.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Unnecessary, but I sometimes put a bit below the connection to hold the wires together as I twist on the cap.
Yeah, don't do that. Pre-twist with Linesmen pliers if you're not comfortable with just twisting on. I always mechanically presecure, it's how I was taught, even though I know it's no longer necessary with modern caps.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

My House® has a speaker/sound system installed (speakers in the ceiling in pretty much every room, plus a few outside) - how do I access it? Tried contacting the sellers via their agent, but they're not terribly forthcoming. I'm sure I need a receiver, but I don't see a control panel or an obvious connection point anywhere.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

IT BURNS posted:

My House® has a speaker/sound system installed (speakers in the ceiling in pretty much every room, plus a few outside) - how do I access it? Tried contacting the sellers via their agent, but they're not terribly forthcoming. I'm sure I need a receiver, but I don't see a control panel or an obvious connection point anywhere.

You need to find the hidden room in your house.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Does anyone know of a good website that will help calculate the true financial cost of a house, what I can afford with my salary and down-payment? I've been docking) socking money into my 401k and Roth ira, but am starting to get pressure to stop "wasting money on rent" and would appreciate having some actual numbers vs gut feelings.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html

This is pretty consistently recommended as far as the comparison goes. Plug in some numbers (ALL of which should be easy to find).

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

Does anyone know of a good website that will help calculate the true financial cost of a house, what I can afford with my salary and down-payment? I've been docking) socking money into my 401k and Roth ira, but am starting to get pressure to stop "wasting money on rent" and would appreciate having some actual numbers vs gut feelings.

Maybe you already know this but it's worth repeating that renting is not "wasting money" and in fact, might be a better financial decision depending on your geographic location, family situation, and how long you plan to stay where you are. Also, ignore the pressure from outside sources because it usually comes from people who grew up in a much different economic environment than we live in today. You should be the one to decide whether renting or buying is right for you and everyone else can gently caress off unless they are willing to pay your mortgage/rent on your behalf.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

WarMECH posted:

Maybe you already know this but it's worth repeating that renting is not "wasting money" and in fact, might be a better financial decision depending on your geographic location, family situation, and how long you plan to stay where you are. Also, ignore the pressure from outside sources because it usually comes from people who grew up in a much different economic environment than we live in today. You should be the one to decide whether renting or buying is right for you and everyone else can gently caress off unless they are willing to pay your mortgage/rent on your behalf.
Yes.

The better way to think of it is that you are "wasting" money whether regardless of whether you rent or buy (rent vs. tax/maintenance/transactional fees/etc.), so whether buying or renting makes sense in your case depends on your local market, length of expected stay, etc.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yeah I know buying is often a trap and renting has a lot of advantages. Such as when I just found termites in my closet and get to text the pictures to my land lady today. But I wanted to at least get a handle with real numbers on what I can realistically afford. Especially living in San Diego

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I like this one.

https://usmortgagecalculator.org/

You'll need to know what to plug in though. I've found trulia to be fairly close on the basic monthly costs including taxes, insurance, and PMI. Find out how the agents work in your area for closing costs to figure out a proper percent.

Good luck in San Diego. I'd probably wait another 5 years to see what happens with the market if it was me. poo poo is starting to buckle it seems. I found renting in San Diego to make waaay more sense right now, and the complete opposite in the Idaho market where I'm currently moving to (from San Diego).

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 31, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought a house and it has a cool and old and weird garage door system which I cannot find a single example of on Google. Has anyone seen one of these before and know what they're called?

I will put a garage door opener on it somehow :getin:

It's actually really easy to lift. Way easier than my parents modern sectioned garage door. It's just weird that it's all one piece that just swings up and down.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No idea but that looks dope

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That looks homebrew as gently caress, like someone had some wood and pieces of metal laying around but the metal was too long so they bent it up to get the door fitting just right

Those huge springs are what make it easy to lift, your parents' garage door probably doesn't have those

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
We had a somewhat similar - but definitely also somewhat different - setup on a mid-1900s garage my friend and I rented a few years ago. I am not a fan of the big rear end springs, but as long as the attachment stuff is in sound condition, its fine. They (3 of them) were manual opening, I never looked into converting them to power. I'm sure someone has posted pictures of doing it.

Btw, basically all doors have springs, you should try lifting a door without them. It's a LOT more work, a motor would never be able to handle it. Sure, some aren't balanced or sized right, but they have springs.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I wonder if you could rig up some sort of gate opener to work.

Edit: This would seem to suggest it's possible, but I don't know enough about these things to compare that door's workings to yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEUO04djJYY

guaranteed fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 31, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

guaranteed posted:

I wonder if you could rig up some sort of gate opener to work.

Edit: This would seem to suggest it's possible, but I don't know enough about these things to compare that door's workings to yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEUO04djJYY

I don't think this will work because of the additional amount of travel my door has compared to that railed system. The best solution I've thought of so far is to have a winch mounted to the wall and have the cable go up to a rafter, around a pulley, and then back to the top of the garage door so that it pulls it up and back. The tricky part is I'd probably have to rig up some Arduino stuff to make sure the winch stops when it needs to and doesn't pull the door back and tear the garage apart.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

A tilt up garage door? Those are pretty old school but definitely still a thing that you can easily buy hardware for (if you want it to be automatic open then you'll need the new hardware, or just easier manual open). My parents have them on their garage. The garage is not old (90s) but my dad insisted on them when rebuilding said garage, and his friend said that he'd cave and get the sectioned sliding ones like everyone else, so they bet on it. My dad won, obviously.

The doors look fantastic (way better than sectioned ones) and work fine 20 years later, but you have to be careful about placing garbage cans and stuff in front of it (can't tell you how many times I've knocked the garbage cans over trying to open the garage).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spikes32 posted:

The fun part of owning a house is that your expenses for the year only have a minimum amount. Your roof goes in a non-covered manner at the same time your sewer backs up? Your house now costs another $30k this year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

IT BURNS posted:

Trace the wires back to the mothership. The mothership has probably been removed. Replace mothership and enjoy low quality audio.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I have what I think is a river birch tree in my front yard. Basically every day, especially after winds or storms, it drops small to medium twigs in the yard. Some of them I just leave and mow over, but I obviously don’t mow multiple times a week. I think I’ll have to pick up sticks constantly, which I guess is fine, but is there anything I can do with them? Unfortunately the city doesn’t provide yard waste removal. Should I get a small chipper/shredder and mulch them back into the flower beds or something?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Does anyone know what asbestos looks like? Is this asbestos?

https://imgur.com/O37mKHJ

E: I didn't touch the pipes or insulation. They were like that when I removed the sheetrock.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 1, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SpartanIvy posted:

Does anyone know what asbestos looks like? Is this asbestos?

https://imgur.com/O37mKHJ

E: I didn't touch the pipes or insulation. They were like that when I removed the sheetrock.

You have cancer now. Sorry.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I have asbestos pipes in the basement with the intact diamond-shaped Keasbey & Mattison stickers advertising the asbestos pipe insulation patented in 1891. The town where that poo poo was made is a Superfund site now.

I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd post a pic, but the insulation is cased in what looks like white-painted canvas or some sort of material. It's contained and in good condition, so no risk of it being disturbed. I have no idea what it'd look like inside of that casing.

What year was the house built? Are the pipes for the radiant heat? (In our building, only the radiator pipes have the asbestos insulation.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Queen Victorian posted:

I have asbestos pipes in the basement with the intact diamond-shaped Keasbey & Mattison stickers advertising the asbestos pipe insulation patented in 1891. The town where that poo poo was made is a Superfund site now.

I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd post a pic, but the insulation is cased in what looks like white-painted canvas or some sort of material. It's contained and in good condition, so no risk of it being disturbed. I have no idea what it'd look like inside of that casing.

What year was the house built? Are the pipes for the radiant heat? (In our building, only the radiator pipes have the asbestos insulation.)

House was built in 1950. Pipes are on an outside wall, but I don't think either of those is the hot water pipe. One is the cold for the faucet, and the other is for an outside faucet if it's where I think it is. The hot water pipe for the kitchen faucet is behind another piece of sheetrock I need to cut out.

I'm doing all this because there is no inline water cutoff under the sink, and I want to add one and a secondary water line for the refrigerators ice maker. This project is quickly growing in scope :retrogames:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

SpartanIvy posted:

This project is quickly growing in scope :retrogames:

Welcome to a house!

I'm not even going to speculate on whether that is or isn't asbestos. You should get someone out who would know or be able to test. In an ideal world the person checking would not be connected to a company that removes asbestos, but that's tougher to find.

It's a scary word, but realistically you're safe as long as you don't disturb it and potentially get fibers in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Tricky Ed posted:

It's a scary word, but realistically you're safe as long as you don't disturb it and potentially get fibers in the air.
It's too late, I or a loved one already feel entitled to financial compensation.