Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

By "hire someone," do you have kids in your neighborhood? Kids who'd like to make 50¢ per taproot?

I think my daughter is the oldest on the street at 10, and I have tried all manner of bribery and cajoling. There are likely 100 dandelions in my yard, it’s grim.

I’ll just eat the cost of a gardening service, if I can figure out how to keep them from coming back.

Related: does a clover lawn spread beyond where it’s seeded?

E: to keep the dandelions from coming back. The gardening service can return if needed.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

VERTiG0 posted:

I can confirm this. When you nail a huge dandelion and it all comes up in one big shot, taproot and all, you'll be pumping your fist in the air.

I like how dandelions look and don’t get why everyone hates them so much. I do mow them over when I mow but I don’t spray them or pull them out. I’ve also let clovers take over a shady part of my lawn and some vines take over my chain link fence so I may not be the best yard person. I just let whatever grows grow and once a week remind them that I’m bigger and chop them down to a couple inches.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I’ll just eat the cost of a gardening service, if I can figure out how to keep them from coming back.

The gardening service can return if needed.

$65/month keeps us maintained, though we are likely to upgrade soon because they gently caress up in annoying ways. But the lawn is cut, the weeds pulled, and everything else trimmed/edged. They come twice a month, 7500 Sq ft lot w/ house and garage on it so maybe 1/2 is landscaped?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Subjunctive posted:

Related: does a clover lawn spread beyond where it’s seeded?

I didn't seed the clover all around my house, but it's certainly spreading naturally at a high rate. This was from new construction with no sod and no topsoil put back on after the lot was scraped clean, the clover came out of nowhere to make a pretty thick ground cover and now as long as I mow it every week it looks OK.

Maybe after a couple years of clover the soil will be recovered enough to try grass. All of the neighbors on my street who seeded grass had it fail on the scraped-clean lots, but the ones who did sod had it work fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

I didn't seed the clover all around my house, but it's certainly spreading naturally at a high rate. This was from new construction with no sod and no topsoil put back on after the lot was scraped clean, the clover came out of nowhere to make a pretty thick ground cover and now as long as I mow it every week it looks OK.

Hmm. My back yard adjoins the neighbours’ without an intervening fence, so I’m worried about it spreading out of my space. Maybe this isn’t for me!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm. My back yard adjoins the neighbours’ without an intervening fence, so I’m worried about it spreading out of my space. Maybe this isn’t for me!

If they fertilize, water, and mow their lawns then the grass will outcompete the clover and the clover won't take over their areas.

If everyone is neglecting their lawns, then clover looks a hell of a lot better than patchy unhealthy grass with intermittent taller weeds. I'm a big fan of my clover lawn here.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
So I need to replace the decking in my garden as the stuff that was there when we moved in last year rapidly started to fall apart. It's a small garden and the decking fills most of it (the deck is roughly 10 square meters) so I would like to go for something nice, but am planning on moving some time in the next five years or so and so don't want to shell out too much.

I've been looking around at what's available (in the UK) and larch (eg. this or this) decking seems pretty good, a nice compromise between cheaper pine and more expensive hardwoods. But I honestly don't know if it's worth getting or if I should just go for cheaper treated pine decking.

Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with putting up a deck and any advice or suggestions?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I haven't put up a deck but I am currently working on cladding which I believe has similar considerations.

The main consideration when choosing a wood IMO is how long you want it to last. A harder and denser wood will resist rot and decay for longer and give you a better look for longer (I say harder wood rather than hardwood because some softwoods can be harder than hardwoods). This is why e.g. Siberian larch or Canadian cedar is preferred over the English variants (including English oak) because the slow growth in the cold climate means the yearly growth rings are smaller and tighter, hence less dense. But they cost more because they grow more slowly and have to be transported to the UK.

I've opted for Siberian larch because I'd like it to last as long as possible in as nice a condition as possible. I'm not sure what the price difference between Siberian and English larch is as I never checked, but you've also got English oaks available depending on where in the country you are.

Bear in mind larch will naturally silver as it ages and UV protection oils are pricey as gently caress, I spent over 200 quid just on oils and nails.

My instinct (bearing in mind I never looked at pine) would be the cheaper wood option with some good preservatives and maintenance, you can always change it out later if you end up staying longer. I'm not sure I'd ever opt for the cheapest pine unless I was there for like a year since it's so soft you're going to be leaving dents in it with your furniture.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Enos Cabell posted:

You want the Fiskars Deluxe Stand-Up Weeder

Using this is easy and surprisingly therapeutic.

I was looking at one of these yesterday and Amazon has a flash deal on them today--score!

It's gotta be better than crouching down with one of those old-school dandelion diggers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Everyone's got a cupboard like this right?

It's not just me being a crazy hoarder right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh look who’s all fancy with an organizer bin. La-di-da.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not only that, the light is on a sensor :smug:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's the half-assed flexitube for?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

I haven't put up a deck but I am currently working on cladding which I believe has similar considerations.

The main consideration when choosing a wood IMO is how long you want it to last. A harder and denser wood will resist rot and decay for longer and give you a better look for longer (I say harder wood rather than hardwood because some softwoods can be harder than hardwoods). This is why e.g. Siberian larch or Canadian cedar is preferred over the English variants (including English oak) because the slow growth in the cold climate means the yearly growth rings are smaller and tighter, hence less dense. But they cost more because they grow more slowly and have to be transported to the UK.

I've opted for Siberian larch because I'd like it to last as long as possible in as nice a condition as possible. I'm not sure what the price difference between Siberian and English larch is as I never checked, but you've also got English oaks available depending on where in the country you are.

Bear in mind larch will naturally silver as it ages and UV protection oils are pricey as gently caress, I spent over 200 quid just on oils and nails.

My instinct (bearing in mind I never looked at pine) would be the cheaper wood option with some good preservatives and maintenance, you can always change it out later if you end up staying longer. I'm not sure I'd ever opt for the cheapest pine unless I was there for like a year since it's so soft you're going to be leaving dents in it with your furniture.

I think my problem is I always want to do things properly and to a high quality (unlike the previous owners!). So I keep looking at things like the siberian larch because it will last a long time, when realistically I will not be staying in this house that long and so spending out extra for it would be wasted money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

What's the half-assed flexitube for?

Best solution for draining the dishwasher that didn't involve removing three cupboards. We had to talk the builder into making space for one because he didn't think modern families would consider them important. This was a single man who lived in a caravan for three years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Get some pipe clamps.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will do jeez man get off my case it's only been three years

:v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ebola Dog posted:

I think my problem is I always want to do things properly and to a high quality (unlike the previous owners!). So I keep looking at things like the siberian larch because it will last a long time, when realistically I will not be staying in this house that long and so spending out extra for it would be wasted money.

:same:

I just spent 250 quid on a new mitre saw despite the fact that the one I borrowed is entirely capable of cutting wood but it's not going to cut it as well as I want as thus, expenditure.

I'm currently undecided as to how long I'm going to stay in this house but after pouring so much money and attention into it it feels like a waste not to hang around for a fair while.

Maybe you could justify it as a selling point for the new owners?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not only that, the light is on a sensor :smug:

That is straight pimpin'. Ours are (neatly) stacked in a deep slow-close drawer, but now I want a sensor light even though it wouldn't do a drat thing. Maybe under the sink after the countertops go in...

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Everyone's got a cupboard like this right?

It's not just me being a crazy hoarder right?

I've found that storing containers with their lids on makes the tupperware cabinet infinitely more organized, easier to use and less likely to accumulate orphan tops/bottoms. I've organized a lot of my friends' kitchens and they've all sworn there's not enough space to do that, but once ive got everything sorted and stacked by size it's always a wash.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whalesteak posted:

I've found that storing containers with their lids on makes the tupperware cabinet infinitely more organized, easier to use and less likely to accumulate orphan tops/bottoms. I've organized a lot of my friends' kitchens and they've all sworn there's not enough space to do that, but once ive got everything sorted and stacked by size it's always a wash.

Yeah, that’s what I do now. I also want some organizer boxes in there, because things don’t all stack well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We used to stack with lids on but it took up an entire cabinet. It was nice to just grab and go, but it would stack up and inevitably collapse on somebody like a 70s disaster movie.

Now we stack in the drawer, like with like with the lids on top, and it's much tighter. We have a big, round orphan in the middle that we rarely use (sitting on top of its lid) where we put all the little condiment-sized containers and lids.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

We used to stack with lids on but it took up an entire cabinet. It was nice to just grab and go, but it would stack up and inevitably collapse on somebody like a 70s disaster movie.

Now we stack in the drawer, like with like with the lids on top, and it's much tighter. We have a big, round orphan in the middle that we rarely use (sitting on top of its lid) where we put all the little condiment-sized containers and lids.

Now imagine 4 different people donated their version of this and none of its compatible and it all gets thrown into the same blind corner cabinet.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I've got several healthy, mature deciduous trees in my yard.

Pros:
- Birds to hang out with
- Shade to keep both yard and house cooler in the depths of increasingly warm summers
- Smug sense of superiority over neighboring McMansions covered with sod and struggling transplants

Cons:
- I've spent the last two days elbow deep in mosquito-infested stagnant water and "compost" as I clear out the gutters of my one story rambler

[TELL] Me About Gutter Guards and/or Cleaning Pro Tips/Tricks.

This was particularly bad this year because my toddler just teamed up with a newborn to keep me awake all night and occupy basically all my free time, but I am resolved to stay on top of it once I've got a clean base. Aside from that, does anyone have any advice/recommendations re: gutter debris protection? I'm a bit concerned that the ones I have seen so far would end up just restricting water flow from the roof into the gutter (and possibly redirecting it back towards the roofline in places where the gutter slope might not be perfect). Really I'd mostly just need to keep the large-ish maple leaves and sticks from falling in and creating a blockage, so I don't need that bullet-proof of a cover.

Related: how hard is adjusting the "grade" on a gutter? I've noticed some low spots where water may tend to pool rather than flowing down to the spout, and I'd like to nip that in the bud as the mosquitos are bad enough around here already. Also, I have a hip roof (sloped to all four sides) and so have gutters all around the house. The downspouts are all just inside the long edges of the rectangle, though, rather than exactly in the corners and I've noticed a tendancy for water (and debris, which begets more problems) to pool coming around those corners. Does anyone have any advice on possibly tweaking the gutters to help with this?

Now imagine 4 different people donated their version of this and none of its compatible and it all gets thrown into the same blind corner cabinet.

It's like the kitchen version of that drawer/box full of random AV/computer cables you've been collecting your entire life even though the associated devices are long since gone and standards obsolete.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I had some company come put those gutter guard thingies on. It wasn't super cheap, but if they ever clog up again the company comes to clean them out and refunds the whole purchase.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think you're probably misunderstanding the recommendation, stack the containers inside each other and then stack the lids together and put the lids on top of the stack of containers. That way it takes up way less space.

edit: I might also be suggesting a third option, but I think that's what was the suggestion

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Option 4, throw them all away and buy a few boxes of ziplocs

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is what we do. We're down to basically 2 things: A set of the red-top rubbermaid ones, and the screw top ziplocs. (Which FYI the target knockoffs are awful.) Every 3 months or so my wife will clean out the fridge, then the next day after the dishwasher has run recycle anything without a match. We also throw away things that we think will make us throw up if we open them, which leads to us buying around 1 package of stuff a year, give or take. The ziploc stuff tends to die sooner because we freeze stuff in them which sometimes causes them to buckle from being overfull.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WEKLLM/

The lids all snap together, and if you take 15 seconds to sort things as you put them away it actually works great.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

I think you're probably misunderstanding the recommendation, stack the containers inside each other and then stack the lids together and put the lids on top of the stack of containers. That way it takes up way less space.

edit: I might also be suggesting a third option, but I think that's what was the suggestion

If I'm reading it right, I think he was putting lids on everything and then stacking (which we used to do). We're now doing the stack-inside-each-other with lids on top, like you mentioned.

I dunno. I just need to find somewhere to put a sweet sensor light.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

You may jest but bags definitely work better for freezing anything, and you can make them into sensible shapes for storage prior to freezing.

you surely only need enough spare storage containers to deal with short term fridge or cupboard leftovers?

By all means have more that are constantly in use, but if there are a lot sitting around empty then you don't need them

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't jest at all. I have two lunch-size lock & lock containers and a bulk carton of quart-sized ziploc bags. I use them for everything from freezing batch meal portions to bagging up and labelling things going into storage. My main storage is a couple dozen Really Useful Boxes filled with labelled ziploc bags.

I go that route because something I learned in scouts stuck with me, that when camping you should pack your rucksack with things grouped in bags, because it makes it much easier to unpack and repack when you need to find something.

These days it helps me find the right charger and eradicates the Big Box of Cables, but it's the same principle.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't jest at all. I have two lunch-size lock & lock containers and a bulk carton of quart-sized ziploc bags. I use them for everything from freezing batch meal portions to bagging up and labelling things going into storage. My main storage is a couple dozen Really Useful Boxes filled with labelled ziploc bags.

I go that route because something I learned in scouts stuck with me, that when camping you should pack your rucksack with things grouped in bags, because it makes it much easier to unpack and repack when you need to find something.

These days it helps me find the right charger and eradicates the Big Box of Cables, but it's the same principle.

As another ex-scout i'm with you.

I recently discovered cotton drawstring bags for packing and separating my poo poo in my rucksack. They are so much better than plastic bags and also much more sociable if you are sharing a tent/room with other people and need to dig through a bag while they are sleeping.
I've got a load of these because Cisco Meraki used them for packing network kit for a while. I need to buy some bigger ones and some other colours.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tomarse posted:

You may jest but bags definitely work better for freezing anything, and you can make them into sensible shapes for storage prior to freezing.

you surely only need enough spare storage containers to deal with short term fridge or cupboard leftovers?

By all means have more that are constantly in use, but if there are a lot sitting around empty then you don't need them

I have a food saver vacuum packer that I use for packing food for freezing, it does away with the freezer burn issue nicely. I use some tupperware, but mostly for day-to-day leftover storage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tomarse posted:

The container that holds my lunch is different from the container that holds soup or a cut-up pineapple or a pulled pork shoulder or three dozen cookies. They aren't all in use simultaneously, but they still all have jobs.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

They aren't all in use simultaneously, but they still all have jobs.
I feel like this is how PennDOT staffs roadwork.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Hubis posted:

I've got several healthy, mature deciduous trees in my yard.

Pros:
- Birds to hang out with
- Shade to keep both yard and house cooler in the depths of increasingly warm summers
- Smug sense of superiority over neighboring McMansions covered with sod and struggling transplants

Cons:
- I've spent the last two days elbow deep in mosquito-infested stagnant water and "compost" as I clear out the gutters of my one story rambler

[TELL] Me About Gutter Guards and/or Cleaning Pro Tips/Tricks.

This was particularly bad this year because my toddler just teamed up with a newborn to keep me awake all night and occupy basically all my free time, but I am resolved to stay on top of it once I've got a clean base. Aside from that, does anyone have any advice/recommendations re: gutter debris protection? I'm a bit concerned that the ones I have seen so far would end up just restricting water flow from the roof into the gutter (and possibly redirecting it back towards the roofline in places where the gutter slope might not be perfect). Really I'd mostly just need to keep the large-ish maple leaves and sticks from falling in and creating a blockage, so I don't need that bullet-proof of a cover.

You could try gutter hedgehogs (UK website but I'm sure you can source them where you are). They are easy to install and would definitely keep the large leaves and sticks out of your gutters.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I recently bought a house and i'm consistently amazed at all the dumb poo poo the past owners did

The house was added onto at some point. What was the rear of the house with a window on the first and second floor had a full bathroom added onto the first floor and a small room (accessed through a small bedroom) with no outlets added onto the second floor.

Problem is, the second floor bathroom used to be the rear of the house. There's a window in the bathroom that partially looks into the shower. Except now this window is inside the house, from the bathroom to this small room. I legitimately don't know what to do with it other than put a curtain for now. The first floor had this same issue but they took the window out and made it into a weird large cabinet with 4 small doors

Also in the first floor bathroom they inserted two big windows directly in the shower in an urban area

Just. What

Also the entire upstairs is on two pronged knob and tube outlets but they had TVs in every single room along with air conditioners, computers, game systems and god knows what else. i'm still pulling coaxial cable out because it's run into every room

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I occasionally flash back to all the pipework and power cabling that was run on the outside of the walls rather than in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

jerry seinfel posted:

Problem is, the second floor bathroom used to be the rear of the house. There's a window in the bathroom that partially looks into the shower. Except now this window is inside the house, from the bathroom to this small room. I legitimately don't know what to do with it other than put a curtain for now. The first floor had this same issue but they took the window out and made it into a weird large cabinet with 4 small doors

I have seen this and bricking up the window with glass block seems to work okay.