Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Also factor in that even if you close with your local CU they're going to sell that loan ASAP. You're basically taking out an equity based bond on a combination of your credit and the asset being acquired, and that bond will be treated as a security by other financial institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also factor in that even if you close with your local CU they're going to sell that loan ASAP. You're basically taking out an equity based bond on a combination of your credit and the asset being acquired, and that bond will be treated as a security by other financial institutions.

This isn't strictly true. While the majority of mortgages are securitized, some institutions still hold loans on their books. A larger share also securitize the loan but retain servicing, so you can get a Fannie or Freddy backed loan and still make payments to the bank where you took it out. I have worked at two different institutions that retain servicing and got my mortgage from one of them.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My boss refinanced his mortgage specifically to stop having Wells Fargo as his servicer and made this explicitly clear to his lender. A month later he gets a letter. Wells Fargo is the new servicer...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol that’s actually pretty funny.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yup, that happened to a lot of borrowers I dealt with when I worked with a servicer. They would refi and come straight back to us.

If you don't want to get called by your servicer, just make your payments on time when you said you would. :shrug:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

My boss refinanced his mortgage specifically to stop having Wells Fargo as his servicer and made this explicitly clear to his lender. A month later he gets a letter. Wells Fargo is the new servicer...

:rolleyes: "Uh huh, no problem mr boss." *Enters loan into computer alongside the 20 other loans they're processing for sale this month*

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
My aimloan was sold to wells fargo seemingly before I even closed. 2.75% for a 7/1 ARM so I guess I'm not complaining. It took my 16 months to learn my online login.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

part of wells fargo's pitch to me was that they wouldn't ever sell my loan, which is funny on a couple levels

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I wouldn't pay extra for it, but I really like being able to deal with my mortgage through my regular bank's online banking. In my case it was cheaper than what a broker could give me because I'm an employee of the bank.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The difference isn't enormous, but it doesn't sound like it's worth much of a premium at all anyway to get it through the CU. I am assuming they'll just sell it on immediately, hopefully whoever gets it won't be a tremendous pain (they will).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ashcans posted:

The difference isn't enormous, but it doesn't sound like it's worth much of a premium at all anyway to get it through the CU. I am assuming they'll just sell it on immediately, hopefully whoever gets it won't be a tremendous pain (they will).

I think most CUs are driving the practice of servicing mortgages sold off to other companies. Their "we're better than banks because we like customer service!" attitude kind of requires being that front-end for loans.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

My CU services the mortgage but sold the actual mortgage to Fannie Mae pretty much as soon as the ink dried on the paperwork. As a practical matter I deal with the CU for the loan, but as my interaction since the closing is to log into a website and watch them auto-debit my checking account once a month and also get a now-pointless 1098 form once a year, it doesn't really matter.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think most CUs are driving the practice of servicing mortgages sold off to other companies. Their "we're better than banks because we like customer service!" attitude kind of requires being that front-end for loans.

AFAICT, penfed both owns and services my mortgage, but that might be because they have some weird non-standard ARM that no one wants to buy (5/5).

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Update: Just completed my first year of home ownership, spent way too much on smart home upgrades. The good news is my monthly payment went down and I got a $1500 escrow refund this month.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wife works at a CU and they have an awesome employee mortgage program. They hold the loan but unfortunately outsource the servicing to a 3rd party. I don’t think it matters as it’ll be set on autopay so I don’t think we’ll deal with them often.

I’m about 3 weeks from being able to lock a 30day rate and stupid rates keep going up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe I’m a bad homeowner but I don’t think about my mortgage payment ever. Like maybe if I lost my job I’d pay more attention? It just auto deducts monthly and I don’t ever bother to verify.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I don't really give a crap who services my loan.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Holy poo poo small town hardware stores are expensive

And I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame

Why did I buy a house

(because fixing my own poo poo rules)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy poo poo small town hardware stores are expensive

And I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame

Why did I buy a house

(because fixing my own poo poo rules)

cue catastrophic flooding

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hauki posted:

cue catastrophic flooding

caulk your house and float it

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I'm in the process of picking a mortgage right now and will probably end up going with someone else rather than the guy who did all my pre-auths. My loan officer was helpful and responsive, and I feel a little bit bad for him. Not nearly bad enough to go with a higher rate, but bad enough to throw him $50 or $100 somehow if possible. I'm guessing that it probably isn't though huh.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

potatoducks posted:

I'm in the process of picking a mortgage right now and will probably end up going with someone else rather than the guy who did all my pre-auths. My loan officer was helpful and responsive, and I feel a little bit bad for him. Not nearly bad enough to go with a higher rate, but bad enough to throw him $50 or $100 somehow if possible. I'm guessing that it probably isn't though huh.

Write a nice email to his boss or a yelp review and call it a day.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
See if you still feel the same about them when you start getting calls/texts multiple times a day trying to get you to come back to them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Send him a decent ($20) bottle of wine. It's just business but if you appreciated the service why not?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
It'd be easier if he turned into a huge rear end in a top hat.

I wrote him a nice e-mail that he forwarded to his boss, tossed him a 5 star on yelp, and we said happy trails.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone bought or owned a rowhome before? Any additional concerns over a detached home besides the obvious stuff like your neighbor setting their house on fire putting yours at risk?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone bought or owned a rowhome before? Any additional concerns over a detached home besides the obvious stuff like your neighbor setting their house on fire putting yours at risk?

I've lived in one - noise from your neighbors is a huge concern, even when the walls are that nasty old Philly plaster or whatever.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Grew up in a philly row home with a drunk father, always felt bad for our neighbors. They'd constantly would bang on the party wall, they could hear everything.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

You're talking like a side-by-side duplex/quadplex kinda deals? Anecdotally, my last apartment was one of those. My wife and I lived on the end unit. Our next door neighbors were assholes with a child that had some sort of mental issues, and communicated solely via screaming. You could literally hear the kid no matter where you and he were in our respective units. Then one day the family went shopping and left their old WWII era air conditioner running on high. It had no built in GFCI, and the old breaker in the wall fused closed and their apartment lit on fire. Had we been 10 minutes later in getting home, we would've lost our dog to the smoke and probably fire crossing the fire barrier. As it was, after the fire was out, we discovered that they were also hoarders who had filled their place with garbage, and we spent the next month feverishly battling the roaches that were looking for a new home after theirs went Pompeii. Thankfully, we moved out of that hellscape.

Completely unrelated, I assure you, but my wife and I are in the beginning stages of getting a house for ourselves, because gently caress renting anymore. Would anyone be so kind as to fill me in a bit on dealing with a mortgage broker? I'm reading a few different things that conflict around the internet. For example, do we have to get a pre-approval before going to one? And I'm assuming it's wise to shop around when looking for one, but what sort of things am I looking for that separate an OK broker from a great one?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

Completely unrelated, I assure you, but my wife and I are in the beginning stages of getting a house for ourselves, because gently caress renting anymore. Would anyone be so kind as to fill me in a bit on dealing with a mortgage broker? I'm reading a few different things that conflict around the internet. For example, do we have to get a pre-approval before going to one? And I'm assuming it's wise to shop around when looking for one, but what sort of things am I looking for that separate an OK broker from a great one?

First step is to go to whatever bank you're with now and get preapproved. This is a mostly worthless step but you need to attach your preapproval letter to any offers you make. It basically says that a bank thinks they'll probably be able to loan you money and it'll usually show the max that they think you could actually be approved for. Protip: this amount is usually hilariously high and is not what you should be actually spending. You should already know exactly how much you can actually afford to borrow. There's no credit check for a preapproval usually. You're not locked in to any one lender when you get preapproved so just go where you already have your money.

Next you go house shopping. Find a house, make your offer and attach your preapproval letter. There's some strategy around the amount you're preapproved for and the amount on the letter you submit so consider your market. For us, we were preapproved for something like $450,000 and were looking at spending $250,000 so we changed the letter we submitted with our offer to say that we were approved for $250,000. My thought being that it would strengthen our negotiating position later when asking for repairs/credits.

Once you have an accepted offer, you start shopping for a mortgage. This is where you go to a broker, do a real mortgage app with your bank if you want or hit up Zillow mortgages. You need an accepted offer to begin a full blown mortgage application.

I didn't use a broker. A lot of people here like them because they shop your mortgage application around to multiple lenders and can get you the best loan. I feel that brokers are like realtors- they have their own best interests at heart and will get you the loan that gets them paid the most the fastest, not necessarily what is best for you. I shopped myself for a mortgage and went with a local credit union. When I refinanced I used Zillow and got a great rate that way.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nitrousoxide posted:

I hope you're comfortable with either setting your thermoset lower than your neighbors or paying to heat their houses.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
I am looking at a home in a very new development, a couple phases are not yet complete, that will also be my first experience with an HOA. I asked for the CC&Rs while we were going through the model and she handed me a thumb drive with a bunch of PDFs. Unfortunately the budget and minutes from the last meeting were corrupted or something so I will have to go back but I wanted to ask about what I had. I thought most of the CC&Rs were generic, like restrictions on dog breed/size but my wife was concerned about a few. The majority of units have two car garages and it says garages must be maintained so that two cars can park inside, no workshops etc. Driving through the development it is clear people are parking in their driveways and along the street so I am thinking this is just to prevent a maniac from really going ham with a lift and everything? Is something like that usually enforced? Or does it just depend entirely on the individual HOA? There is also something about getting prior approval for fish tanks. I assumed this was for a Troy McClure situation, and we don't have fish anyway, but my wife thought it was ridiculous. This is just generic language right?

The fees are a reasonable $98 or $120 depending on which host mentioned them the separate days we were there and the first phase was completed in 2016. There hasn't been a major issue yet that would drain the HOA but I don't know how exactly "healthy" it is. There are about 125 homes in the development and it is in Southern California. Is the answer to everything here - it depends and nobody can know anything until we can see the docs? I have only ever heard the downsides of the HOA.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Felter Chesthard posted:

I am looking at a home in a very new development, a couple phases are not yet complete, that will also be my first experience with an HOA. I asked for the CC&Rs while we were going through the model and she handed me a thumb drive with a bunch of PDFs. Unfortunately the budget and minutes from the last meeting were corrupted or something so I will have to go back but I wanted to ask about what I had. I thought most of the CC&Rs were generic, like restrictions on dog breed/size but my wife was concerned about a few. The majority of units have two car garages and it says garages must be maintained so that two cars can park inside, no workshops etc. Driving through the development it is clear people are parking in their driveways and along the street so I am thinking this is just to prevent a maniac from really going ham with a lift and everything? Is something like that usually enforced? Or does it just depend entirely on the individual HOA? There is also something about getting prior approval for fish tanks. I assumed this was for a Troy McClure situation, and we don't have fish anyway, but my wife thought it was ridiculous. This is just generic language right?

The fees are a reasonable $98 or $120 depending on which host mentioned them the separate days we were there and the first phase was completed in 2016. There hasn't been a major issue yet that would drain the HOA but I don't know how exactly "healthy" it is. There are about 125 homes in the development and it is in Southern California. Is the answer to everything here - it depends and nobody can know anything until we can see the docs? I have only ever heard the downsides of the HOA.

The thing about HOA's are even if the rules aren't enforced now on anyone, they could suddenly be enforced only on you for any reason. You don't get to argue it and there is no trial. "Oh, Jerry has a workshop in his garage too? Well I haven't seen in it and that's not the issue here. Your sedan was in the driveway last night because you have too many boxes in your garage. That will be a $500 fine, and you better fix it immediately. No, this has nothing to do with the fact that your kids team beat mine in the little league game last weekend and I'm extremely petty."

Maybe I'm paranoid but I've met several people who moved into their current house to get away from crazy HOA's. Anything beyond common ground maintenance is too much imo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Felter Chesthard posted:

The fees are a reasonable $98 or $120

Don't assume anything. Have an attorney read it. This is literally a covenant on your homes title that allows them to foreclose on you to pay fines and assessments.

Reasonableness cannot be known until you see their books. You don't know if they have mandatory amounts in their bank accounts, service contracts, insurance, etc. We also don't know what that provides for you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

H110Hawk posted:

Don't assume anything. Have an attorney read it. This is literally a covenant on your homes title that allows them to foreclose on you to pay fines and assessments.

Reasonableness cannot be known until you see their books. You don't know if they have mandatory amounts in their bank accounts, service contracts, insurance, etc. We also don't know what that provides for you.

I worked for a mortgage company and we saw a woman lose her million dollar home because of a $400 HOA fine. If she had told us about it we would have paid it for her, but we only found out after the fact. poo poo is bonkers.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
Great!!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SpartanIvy posted:

The thing about HOA's are even if the rules aren't enforced now on anyone, they could suddenly be enforced only on you for any reason. You don't get to argue it and there is no trial. "Oh, Jerry has a workshop in his garage too? Well I haven't seen in it and that's not the issue here. Your sedan was in the driveway last night because you have too many boxes in your garage. That will be a $500 fine, and you better fix it immediately. No, this has nothing to do with the fact that your kids team beat mine in the little league game last weekend and I'm extremely petty."

Maybe I'm paranoid but I've met several people who moved into their current house to get away from crazy HOA's. Anything beyond common ground maintenance is too much imo.

OMG this. So I bought my first house new construction about 8 years ago. I'm buying another new construction house right now, and I've been through the CCR's with a fine tooth comb. Go through everything. Architecture Controls, Design Standards, everything.

My Experience with the first HOA was while the builder was in control (which is common until the development is done in my area), no one really gave much of a crap. The HOA manager rolled through the first Monday of the month and only sent out violations for super obvious majorly against the rules stuff. If someone complained they would follow up, but generally they left people alone (both good and bad).

About 3 years ago HOA control was passed to the homeowners, people cared for about 6 months and now no one gives a poo poo again. It was a big starter home community (880 homes) with no amenities and a low HOA fee. Not the "my property values" kind of people really. My old HOA basically exists for common area landscaping and to make the hoa management company money.

I'm generally a live and let live kind of guy, but these are some things against the CC&R's in my old subdivision that weren't enforced but could be at any time if someone gave a poo poo

- Garage's cannot be converted to living areas - several people either converted the garage to living area or had those garage screens installed. One dude had a bigscreen and a hot tub in his.
- Trash cans out of sight except between certain hours on trash pickup days - most people left them in front of their house
- Very specific approved colors for paint and fence stain
- Improvements made without ACA approval
- Very specific yard restrictions on material, decoration, plants, etc.

Now my new development has a fancy pool amenity center which could cost a bunch of money in the future, but that just comes with the 'hood I'm moving into and it's a risk I'm accepting. It's also more likely some pain in the rear end people will join the HOA board in a few years when the builder hands over control and make life difficult for people. The biggest thing in the CCR's in my new subdivision is limiting the number of pets to 3, a limit on storage shed size, and the placement of portable/in ground basketball goals.

Long story short, if a garage workshop is important to you, buy somewhere else.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Felter Chesthard posted:

These rules were likely put in place because there was a problem with a previous homeowner running a motorcycle repair shop or to prevent families from living in the garage and then using guest parking. I don't know how the fish would cause problems with neighbors or how that could be enforced. That is not a common rule. The wording of the rules is important too. Maintaining your garage does not mean you can't park in the driveway. I would reccomend looking at another home if the rules are something that affects your use of the property. A common one t o look out for is rental restrictions. It just has to fit with your needs. I don't see either of those rules as problems for most people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I worked for a mortgage company and we saw a woman lose her million dollar home because of a $400 HOA fine. If she had told us about it we would have paid it for her, but we only found out after the fact. poo poo is bonkers.

But I don't feel bad about wealthy people stealing homes from each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You do not meaningfully 'own' your home if you are subject to a HOA

It's most of the drawbacks of renting without the benefits