Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A render is also those things, but in terms of housing is a material (classically a cement mix) which you put on the outside of your house either for aesthetic, insulation, or structural reasons. I’m doing it because the bricks are old and blowing out, and for the aesthetics too.

These days most renders are silicone based and have their colour all the way through. They’re more expensive but less maintenance because you don’t have to paint them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s probably not super common in American homes because as I understand it most of your houses are wooden or at least clad all round, whereas as we build and face with brick mostly.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

It sounds like a parge coat or Stucco around here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’ve just googled both, a parge coat seems to be another name for a cement scratch coat, ie a prep surface for render to go over the top.

Looks like stucco changes meaning in different places (seems to refer to plaster internally) but yeah that seems to be about right for what you’d call stucco on an outside wall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ruh roh

So are you guys housemates now? Like a hero/villain HQ?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We do apparently have similar tastes, though right now I can’t remember which bits were my idea and which were the architect’s

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’ve just googled both, a parge coat seems to be another name for a cement scratch coat, ie a prep surface for render to go over the top.

Looks like stucco changes meaning in different places (seems to refer to plaster internally) but yeah that seems to be about right for what you’d call stucco on an outside wall.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Like I said, great thread. I think I almost enjoy deciphering what you're referring to as much as the build. Not sure whether to laugh, or get angry when you say "sparkies" though. They're electricians, dude. :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sparkies, chippies, spreads, brickies, they’re all quite comfortable with the terms.

I’d show myself up if I didn’t use them.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Its the one thread that I don't have to translate as I read. Mudding. Dywall. GFCI. :argh:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

schwaa posted:

Yeah, pretty much this.

Like I said, great thread. I think I almost enjoy deciphering what you're referring to as much as the build. Not sure whether to laugh, or get angry when you say "sparkies" though. They're electricians, dude. :colbert:
Can confirm they are occasionally called sparkies on American job sites too though.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Far more than occasionally, at least on the job sites I've worked on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh, and I wouldn’t go with a small company for a big project again because their warranty is only as good as the solvency of the company. If he folds (which is looking very possible) then it’s worthless.

That's actually a strategy here. Roofers and tract housing buildiers especially seem to fold and reincorporate under a different name every five years or so like clockwork, just about when you could reasonably expect warrantied problems to tick up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ordered a couple thou 316 grade stainless steel nails for the cladding, and some end grain wax, board oil, and UV treatment too, holy poo poo are those oils expensive.

Cost £230.48.
Total so far, £148,555.82

I'm staring down the barrel of 150k on this 90k project, with plenty more to come :(

Liquid Communism posted:

That's actually a strategy here. Roofers and tract housing buildiers especially seem to fold and reincorporate under a different name every five years or so like clockwork, just about when you could reasonably expect warrantied problems to tick up.

Oh nice, what cunts.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’ve told the architect what’s been going on with his #1 recommended builder. I’ll never find out if he stops recommending him or not, but I expect there’s kickbacks involved if he does.

I’ve also given the builder a required 30 day notice to remove the last of his poo poo or I’m keeping and/or binning it.

That’s the last of the ties cut.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh nice, what cunts.

Yeah, unless something gets started up like the housing bond scheme those guarantees are pretty useless in an unforeseeable number of cases.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’ve told the architect what’s been going on with his #1 recommended builder. I’ll never find out if he stops recommending him or not, but I expect there’s kickbacks involved if he does.

I’ve also given the builder a required 30 day notice to remove the last of his poo poo or I’m keeping and/or binning it.

That’s the last of the ties cut.

I think you said that you found him on checkatrade? If he is still on there then leave him a poo poo review and see if you can save some more people in the future.

I hope that they are clever enough to do limited company director checks to avoid re-incorporations getting reregistered on there.

I've had success finding people using checkatrade and trustatrader. I left a bad review for someone from checkatrade a couple of months ago and got a reply from a human confirming my complaint.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think I was mistaken about checkatrade, the rec came from the architect.

He may have been on there at one point maybe, he certainly isn’t now (which is what happens if you don’t pay them a grand a year).

You can put in reviews in case they ever do register but I’m thinking it’s not likely at this point.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sparkies, chippies, spreads, brickies, they’re all quite comfortable with the terms.

I’d show myself up if I didn’t use them.

What's the plumber referred to as, though? Drippies? Leakies?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Veth posted:

What's the plumber referred to as, though? Drippies? Leakies?

Plumbers. What else would you call them? Weird.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Call them heroes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo flingers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah they’re just plumbers. Maybe their job is already lovely enough without a nickname.

Isn’t it weird that plumber pretty much translates to “leadworker”? I mean it makes sense historically but one of those strange things where we’ve kept something historical like lead pipes and turned it into a common term.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Speaking of which, I got a letter from the water company saying they did some work on my meter and somehow identified some evidence that there might be lead pipes leading to my house and I should get right on that.

They didn’t provide any more information, though given the work that’s been done the only place it could be is under my tarmac drive.

So I guess I’ll call them up and see what they saw, and maybe get that sorted when I get the drive redone.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
We sometimes call them crackers due to the whole "plumbers crack" thing, but mostly we just call them pipe-fitters.

My trade generally goes by tinners, even though we don't actually do anything with tin.

Fire suppression guys generally go by "hey gently caress face" because they always put their sprinkler pipes in the way of everything.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just had my second quote in for finishing the plastering. Because it's very fiddly work both quotes were approx 1300 quid.

I'll probably go with the fastidious guy, and not with the guy who opened the front door and walked in without knocking (which is a thing some trades do by habit).

I've got a big tax bill to pay in July so I think things are about to grind to a halt for a while.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is the house pretty much livable in the mean time?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, the lack of finished flooring is annoying because I can't put in furniture and can't walk around barefoot because it's so impregnated with dust, but I have a temporary kitchen and power and lights and a bathroom and some kitchen plumbing. It'll do.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have a recurring problem which is i know OF something, but i don't know it's name so i can't figure out how/where to buy it.

The latest thing is that i know there is a expanding mass used for filling small/medium cracks or holes primarily in walls (and then you use something else to make the hole look nice), it comes in a can and you just spray it into the hole and then use a knife to cut off the excess when it solidifies, which it does almost straight away.

Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yah it’s called expanding foam.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sounds like expanding foam. You probably want the general diy questions thread.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah okay, we have a lot weirder names for things in my language and we don't do logical things like name stuff what they actually are. I still found it tho, thanks!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I managed to find a level of minimalism that's too much for me; it's that bathroom. Joking aside, it's looking nice and I hope the rest finishes closer to on time and budget than everything so far has.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well the hits don't stop coming. When I spoke to the render supplier last week they said they had 280 bags of white K Rend FT in stock with a 1-2 day delivery.

Today I call up to get the order in (delayed so as not to have 3 pallets of stuff sat outside the house too long) and it turns out no, they have 280 bags of *polar white* which is an off white that I don't want. 8-10 days for delivery.

I tell the renderer this as an FYI while I start looking for another supplier but worded it ambiguously, so he interpreted it to mean I'd booked the order and that 8-10 days was gospel. Within the 30 minutes it took me to find and order from another supplier he'd already moved my booking and put someone else in my place.

He's trying to wind that back now but may or may not happen.

A week's delay would not be the worst thing in the world as it'll give a bit of wiggle room for the delivery and other prep work, but the scaffolding is booked for this Friday for a 4 week stretch, and any delays on the render eats into my "bad weather" buffer, something of a necessity in an English summer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh also, I emailed a supplier asking for a specific box of nails to be added to my order and gave their own item code, yet when they did it they doubled up a different type of nail instead, which I only caught at payment because they're a few pence different. Double check everything, people!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
This is how I imagine Jaded Burnout is when he's ordering his building supplies,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNTM9iM1eVw

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I just want some fork handles :(

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Great thread JB

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thank you.

Oh, and if y’all haven’t seen The Money Pit yet I highly recommended it.

The scenes where they burst with joy when they start getting basic amenities back is extremely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

100m of construction timber.