Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Milky Moor posted:

It's hard to tell, IMO. L3 falling to pieces and ending up as a head stuttering about how she's dying could go either way. It's probably one of the more ghoulish deaths for a character in Star Wars: shot in the back and torn apart in the rescue attempt. It does look goofy but I don't think the scene would've been comedic, especially given how L3 talks about how Lando has a big crush on her or whatever. At the same time, it's weird that after how distraught Lando is, he just kind of plugs her brain into the Falcon and renders her into a subservient component -- forever.

Kind of feels like there might've been a really nice film in here. As it is, the whole thing is just a mess. The stuff SMG said about the weirdness with the fence cutting scene is spot on.

yeah that but is brutal but because there's no mouth you could easily imagine the audio being different, instead of the horrified robot asking what's happening, continuing to quip about the revolution or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Fandango offered me a FREE Solo poster. For $8 shipping.

Movie was good. Better that R1 & TLJ, but not life-changing. The retard a few pages back that said it was one of the worst movies ever made (or whatever his BS hyperventilation was) needs to move on with his life or just change his forums name to “Cinema Discusso.”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This film also has the problem of having the most underwhelming and boring antagonist.

Like all the other films had to me at least a good to great villian.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thing I like about L3
I like that the brain of a manumission abolitionist and true rebel has apparently been in the Falcon this entire time. I know there's no on screen reference to this or anything in any other film, but I'm honestly a person who doesn't care about the millennium falcon and roll my eyes whenever it appears with musical fanfare. Knowing L3's brain is in there makes me actually like the ship and feel like it has meaning. And the crazy thing is I didn't even find L3 that interesting or care about the character until she died. It got to live in at least some sense and be responsible for the liberation of billions of slaves...

if not for the last Jedi showing us the new republic apparently did Jack poo poo about slavery, anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hollismason posted:

This film also has the problem of having the most underwhelming and boring antagonist.

The villain in Solo is the System.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The system is not particularly charismatic

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I liked when Han and Qi'ra were talking about having kids and Han said he needed a kid like he needed a laser sword in his gut

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The system is not particularly charismatic

Drayden Voss was pretty cool I thought.

Like with Heath Ledger's Joker, I kept wondering how he got those scarrrrrssss.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He couldn't stop scratching his acne because he's very compulsive

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Merc work loving sucks in this Galaxy by the way. Take a job and if you fail it they will probably kill you? It's not like you took their money yet! These are dangerous, risky jobs where a million things could go wrong you don't even have any control over!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Lincoln posted:

Fandango offered me a FREE Solo poster. For $8 shipping.

Movie was good. Better that R1 & TLJ, but not life-changing. The retard a few pages back that said it was one of the worst movies ever made (or whatever his BS hyperventilation was) needs to move on with his life or just change his forums name to “Cinema Discusso.”

Yeah I got the one from them for TLJ it's like the size of a fold out magazine poster, not worth the shipping at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lincoln posted:

The :siren: retard :siren: a few pages back that said it was one of the worst movies ever made

There is an extended sequence in the film, with elaborate puppets, where Han loses all his money gambling with assets he doesn’t have and goes into massive debt to Lando.

The film immediately cuts to the characters standing in a repurposed hallway set. Han says like “I don’t have the stuff right now”, and the massive debt plot point is never brought up again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There is an extended sequence in the film, with elaborate puppets, where Han loses all his money gambling with assets he doesn’t have and goes into massive debt to Lando.

The film immediately cuts to the characters standing in a repurposed hallway set. Han says like “I don’t have the stuff right now”. The massive debt plot point is never brought up again.

The non-ship he won is unresolved but I think Lando lets it slide for his increased cut of the job, and because he knows he cheated anyway, and when they meet again he knows that Han knows he cheated, so it wouldn't do much good trying to get that non existent ship from him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Look, it would have at least made SMG happy to not spend a minute with his eyes rolled up into his skull the whole movie.

Which makes me think he spent most of the time just listening to it, rather than watching it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The non-ship he won is unresolved but I think Lando lets it slide for his increased cut of the job, and because he knows he cheated anyway, and when they meet again he knows that Han knows he cheated, so it wouldn't do much good trying to get that non existent ship from him.

So Lando is desperate for cash but then ‘lets it slide’ when the people don’t give him things he’s owed? And then he doesn’t ask any questions when the scammers say they need his ship, after they just bragged about having a much better ship?

Moreover: you have the big scene where Han and Lando meet for the first time, and the characters both instantly forget about it, so it has no impact on their characters?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So Lando is desperate for cash but then ‘lets it slide’ when the people don’t give him things he’s owed? And then he doesn’t ask any questions when the scammers say they need his ship, after they just bragged about having a much better ship?

Moreover: you have the big scene where Han and Lando meet for the first time, and the characters both instantly forget about it, so it has no impact on their characters?

I don't particularly think Lando is desperate for cash like some others do. As I said before I think he's desperate for purpose.

I don't think they instantly forget about it either, I think Lando moves past it when he realizes what they really want because he wants in on it, I think the second he talks to Woody he realizes that other ship doesn't exist, and doesn't feel the need to comment on it, apart from it probably going in his memoirs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I don't particularly think Lando is desperate for cash like some others do. As I said before I think he's desperate for purpose.

I don't think they instantly forget about it either, I think Lando moves past it when he realizes what they really want because he wants in on it, I think the second he talks to Woody he realizes that other ship doesn't exist, and doesn't feel the need to comment on it, apart from it probably going in his memoirs.

If Lando inexplicably doesn’t care about being scammed and willingly gives up his ship just from talking to Kira and Harrelson for a minute, why is the attempted-scam poker scene even in the movie?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lando cheats to get Hans non-existent ship. Lando confronts him on it and Han counter offers with the Kessel Run.

Qi'Ra shows up and honeypots Lando. Beckett shows up an lends credit to Hans offer. Lando asks for an increased cut, and initially gets it.

It's not like Lando doesn't realize that it was all an effort to involve him because he knows he has the fastest ship and that they need him for it. Lando just appreciates the effort since it's a sweet deal, he wants the cash and because it feeds his ego. It's another awesome tale he can add to the Calrissian Chronicles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AndyElusive posted:

Lando cheats to get Hans non-existent ship. Lando confronts him on it and Han counter offers with the Kessel Run.

Qi'Ra shows up and honeypots Lando. Beckett shows up an lends credit to Hans offer. Lando asks for an increased cut, and initially gets it.

It's not like Lando doesn't realize that it was all an effort to involve him because he knows he has the fastest ship and that they need him for it. Lando just appreciates the effort since it's a sweet deal, he wants the cash and because it feeds his ego. It's another awesome tale he can add to the Calrissian Chronicles.

This, and my impression from Glover's performance was that he was scamming for fun and amusement rather than out of necessity. He seems very hedonistic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It’s possible to reverse-engineer things somewhat from this film.

For example, there is a massive Chekov’s Gun situation where it’s repeatedly emphasized that the fuel is a bomb.

Yeah, Han's bluff with the "thermal detonator" at the beginning of the movie was just begging to be paid off when he has an actual huge bomb at his disposal.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

It's hard to tell, IMO. L3 falling to pieces and ending up as a head stuttering about how she's dying could go either way. It's probably one of the more ghoulish deaths for a character in Star Wars: shot in the back and torn apart in the rescue attempt. It does look goofy but I don't think the scene would've been comedic, especially given how L3 talks about how Lando has a big crush on her or whatever. At the same time, it's weird that after how distraught Lando is, he just kind of plugs her brain into the Falcon and renders her into a subservient component -- forever.

Kind of feels like there might've been a really nice film in here. As it is, the whole thing is just a mess. The stuff SMG said about the weirdness with the fence cutting scene is spot on.

That characters entire purpose was just to explain a comment C3PO makes in Empire Strikes Back

“I need you to talk to the Falcon find out what’s wrong with her” - Han

“I’m trying to sir but your ship has the most peculiar dialect” -C3PO

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

He should've gone all Gangster No. 1 at least once.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

It's another awesome tale he can add to the Calrissian Chronicles.

This, and my impression from Glover's performance was that he was scamming for fun and amusement rather than out of necessity. He seems very hedonistic.

Before the coda, the film ends with Lando’s life in ruins and he’s extremely unhappy. He’s not doing things for sheer adventure. He despises Han for taking him on the adventure.

But we’re moving away from the actual issue, which is the “Poochie died on the way back to his home planet” editing that plagues the film. I’m not talking about ‘plot holes’, but the abrupt cut from a scene of escalating tension to expository dialogue in a hallway.

You can rationalize it by saying ‘Poochie obviously died, it says right there!’, but that’s not the point.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 29, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

See for me the cut wasn't that jarring because the tension rose and then was resolved with the winning hand. That leaves the plot thread dangling but the tension had lowered before you are in the hallway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

See for me the cut wasn't that jarring because the tension rose and then was resolved with the winning hand. That leaves the plot thread dangling but the tension had lowered before you are in the hallway.

Can you explain how Lando winning the hand, putting him in a position to call Han's bluff (that he owned a fast ship) resolves the tension? Han told a lie, and suddenly the conditions are set for the lie to be revealed. That should resolve the tension like lighting the fuse on a bomb resolves tension.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The tension of the scene is not over the outcome of the game, but over whether Han will get the ship they need to do the heist and save everyone’s lives.

The joke is that they’re building up to a big win for Han (and Star Wars fans are certainly expecting Han to win), but then the whole plan fizzles. There is no payoff; Han bungled it and they’re in an even worse position than before - they’re all going to die.

Then in the next scene, an obvious reshoot, Kira and Lando are old friends and they offer him some cash. The whole issue of being totally hosed just vanishes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Before the coda, the film ends with Lando’s life in ruins and he’s extremely unhappy. He’s not doing things for sheer adventure. He despises Han for taking him on the adventure.

But we’re moving away from the actual issue, which is the “Poochie died on the way back to his home planet” editing that plagues the film. I’m not talking about ‘plot holes’, but the abrupt cut from a scene of escalating tension to expository dialogue in a hallway.

You can rationalize it by saying ‘Poochie obviously died, it says right there!’, but that’s not the point.

I suppose I just can't engage with you on this simply due to the fact that this jarring Poochie like cut wasn't as mind bogglingly jarring to me as it was for you. I was following along just fine and I'm sure that singles me out as some kind of pea brain meme lord for being able to do that, but here we are, man. I explained how I saw the scene and how I read it and we're at an impasse.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The tension of the scene is not over the outcome of the game, but over whether Han will get the ship they need to do the heist and save everyone’s lives.

The joke is that they’re building up to a big win for Han (and Star Wars fans are certainly expecting Han to win), but then the whole plan fizzles. There is no payoff; Han bungled it and they’re in an even worse position than before - they’re all going to die.

Then in the next scene, an obvious reshoot, Kira and Lando are old friends and they offer him some cash. The whole issue of being totally hosed just vanishes.

There is a sense in which it works, wherein the actual tension of the scene is that Han might win the Falcon outright and then there's no reason for Donald Glover to be in the movie anymore.

It makes me wonder if he originally had a much smaller role, considering he's largely irrelevant to the plot afterwards. The most relevant thing after letting the Falcon be used—and Han could have just won the hand—is the ship being unavailable in the final confrontation, which could easily be explained by its poor condition after crashing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

I suppose I just can't engage with you on this simply due to the fact that this jarring Poochie like cut wasn't as mind bogglingly jarring to me as it was for you. I was following along just fine

Well I mean your point here is not that the editing is good but that you don’t care if it’s terrible.

That’s not uncommon; lots of Star Wars fans don’t care about the movies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well I mean your point here is not that the editing is good but that you don’t care if it’s terrible.

That’s not uncommon; lots of Star Wars fans don’t care about the movies.

"That edit is terrible! I'm so jarred by its badness!"

"Seemed fine to me!"

"You don't care about Star Wars! Simpsons reference! Terrible movie!"

"Ok!"

Aaaaaaaaand scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For me the tension of the gambling scene is contained within the outcome of the game itself, not its part in the larger plot of them needing to pull this job. Whether Han wins or not I still think they're going to try and get that ship for the job. Now that he owes Lando a ship that doesn't exist, I don't view that as a life or death situation, I view it as a comedic situation because I don't view Lando as a killer. I less think "han's hosed" and more think he has got himself in a new situation to try and weasel his way out of. So for me it's a reset.

It's one of at least three times in the film I can think of that he makes a boast he can't back up that results in more comeuppance than an intrinsic threat to his life.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 29, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

For me the tension of the gambling scene is contained within the outcome of the game itself, not its part in the larger plot of them needing to pull this job. Whether Han wins or not I still think they're going to try and get that ship for the job. Now that he owes Lando a ship that doesn't exist, I don't view that as a life or death situation, I view it as a comedic situation because I don't view Lando as a killer. I less think "han's hosed" and more think he has got himself in a new situation to try and weasel his way out of. So for me it's a reset.

It's one of at least three times in the film I can think of that he makes a boast he can't back up that results in more comeuppance than an intrinsic threat to his life.

It is true that a movie could puncture the tension humorously rather than milk it for drama. But Solo didn't actually do that. There's no scene of Han weaseling his way out of trouble, or where Lando reveals that all their worrying was way over the top, or whatever. The question asked at the end of the card game—what happens when Lando comes to collect—simply never gets answered. Han doesn't need to get vaporized, but something should come of it, either exciting or funny or anything but just dropping it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It was cool seeing Clint Howard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's true.

I'm fine with Lando dropping it by the end because he cheated, after all, but he could have at least used the fact he was owed a ship to get that %40 he wanted up from %25. And I think his negotiation for a piece of the job was supposed to be his replacement for the ship, but they did a poor job showing if he was getting more than he normally would, and if that amount would be equal to or better than a ship.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

"That edit is terrible! I'm so jarred by its badness!"

"Seemed fine to me!"

"You don't care about Star Wars! Simpsons reference! Terrible movie!"

"Ok!"

Aaaaaaaaand scene.

You are operating under a backwards logic where your response to the film determines its technical quality. The film is good as long as you don’t notice anything wrong.

The problem with that logic is that, under it, you can increase the quality of any film’s editing by simply not paying attention. The quality of any film increases in direct relation to your indifference to it.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 29, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is true that a movie could puncture the tension humorously rather than milk it for drama. But Solo didn't actually do that. There's no scene of Han weaseling his way out of trouble, or where Lando reveals that all their worrying was way over the top, or whatever. The question asked at the end of the card game—what happens when Lando comes to collect—simply never gets answered. Han doesn't need to get vaporized, but something should come of it, either exciting or funny or anything but just dropping it.
The woman solved it and Han looked humiliated. A repeating motif. He bluffs and loses, and people roll their eyes at him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That's true.

I'm fine with Lando dropping it by the end because he cheated, after all, but he could have at least used the fact he was owed a ship to get that %40 he wanted up from %25. And I think his negotiation for a piece of the job was supposed to be his replacement for the ship, but they did a poor job showing if he was getting more than he normally would, and if that amount would be equal to or better than a ship.

Right, the issue isn't Lando dropping it, it's the film dropping it. Lando being casually all, "Oh, hey, no worries about that ship, I was cheating," once he's switched from trying to con a rube to getting in on a job / in with Qi'ra could be funny. The plot can go the same way. But they should draw attention to that happening instead of, as you say, doing such a poor job showing whatever it is the actual plot resolution amounts to. If the answer to what happens when Lando finds out about Han's lie is so immaterial that you don't need to bother answering it, then don't ask the question.

LividLiquid posted:

The woman solved it and Han looked humiliated. A repeating motif. He bluffs and loses, and people roll their eyes at him.

Qi'ra solved the problem of getting the Falcon, which is fine, and fits the pattern. Han's bluff is never presented as being a problem for her or anyone else.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

It was cool seeing Clint Howard.

It reminded me that we could’ve seen Channing Tatum in a Star War if L&M we’re fired for being awesome and not hacks

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

You are operating under a backwards logic where your response to the film determines its technical quality. The film is good as long as you don’t notice anything wrong.

The problem with that logic is that, under it, you can increase the quality of any film’s editing by simply not paying attention. The quality of any film increases in direct relation to your indifference to it.

"If you actually cared, you would hate it like I do."

Have you tried not caring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

"If you actually cared, you would hate it like I do."

Have you tried not caring?

When I see Solo is your take that I should...turn my brain off?