Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was obliged to buy a 5k iMac for home use for one of the Golden Children at my current employer. Already poured over $10k into his work setup. Now he's quitting and I'm waiting to see how much of this the CEO decides to give to him as a going away present.

Would love to make that iMac my work box with Win 10 on it but I'll settle for one of his four TB displays. I don't want his garbage can Mac Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

LionArcher posted:

Hell no. My iMac 5k is the best computer I’ve ever owned. Take a freaking chill pill

That should last you a decade if not more. Why worry.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Phil Schiller said that if they spun off the Mac portion of the company, that portion would still qualify as a Fortune 500 company. Somehow I don't think that's the case any more, but it's probably more accurate to say it sure isn't managed like one.

This is absolutely still true. Mac did $25.8 Billion in revenue in 2017. That would put them somewhere in the 115-120 range on the Fortune 500 list.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They buy macbooks and imacs by the truckload where I'm at. The systems are immensely popular as workstations in certain sectors.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
'Workstation' haha. Apple doesn't want you to do work on their products. Work is boring. Just because you can doesn't mean its their vision.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat you really owned Tim Cook with that zinger.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm going to be that guy for years to come telling everybody who will half-listen how great the Cheesegrater Mac Pro is and how it's a totally a breeze, don't even sweat it, guuuuuy to hack the loving firmware to pieces to install the latest MacOS release and somehow trick janky rear end nVidia drivers to work, all the while trying to remember which sketchy kexts you need to replace on each minor update.

And you know what? Even if it does get that bad, there's part of me that finds that somehow preferable to the total shitshow that is relying on your £5,000 iMac Pro not making GBS threads the bed in even the most trivial goddamn way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mahoning posted:

This is absolutely still true. Mac did $25.8 Billion in revenue in 2017. That would put them somewhere in the 115-120 range on the Fortune 500 list.

At $2k each that he only like 10 million macs for the whole world :(

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

At $2k each that he only like 10 million macs for the whole world :(

Macs were never going to be anything more than an also ran in the global PC market. The difference is that they used to do it for the love of the game. Now it feels like they can't justify killing of $25b of revenue to shareholders.

Which is a crying rear end shame for the fraction of the fraction of us who have genuine power user needs and wants that are not being catered to right now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just for a bit of context on how gigantic Apple is, each of their 5 segments (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Services, and Other) would be in the top 250 on the Fortune 500. iPhone alone would rank at #13.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Power users don't help the brand image. They want the casual Mac expert who's willing to drop the desktop Mac at a moments notice. Not some sweaty Apple nerd clinging onto the past.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone forget how overpriced macs were in the early PowerPC days? poo poo probably the whole time up until then.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone forget how overpriced macs were in the early PowerPC days? poo poo probably the whole time up until then.

Man I was there to parrot the company line about Altivec and RISC.

Good lord speaking of price points remember the 20th Anniversary Mac. 20th anniversary, and we've now passed its 20th anniversary

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

Power users don't help the brand image. They want the casual Mac expert who's willing to drop the desktop Mac at a moments notice. Not some sweaty Apple nerd clinging onto the past.

They're the people developing the apps for the App Stores. The people driving high end hardware requirements that make publishers like Valve or Feral put in the effort to port relatively modern titles. The people who make it worthwhile to continue making Adobe CS slightly less garbage than it would otherwise be (and drive like likes of Afinity to make decent competing apps).

Basically the people who make their wider ecosystem of apps and functionality as good as it is for the people who drop as little as possible on their MacBook. The glimmer of hope was that desperate "oh wait - modular Mac Pro" shitdown with journos, but they're taking their sweet time.

Mock the sweat patches if you like, but not all heroes wear capes.

E: to be clear, power users don't want a woke as gently caress ad campaign along the lines of 'what is a power user?', they just want decent hardware and clarity that their platform isn't going to be snatched from under them. They're already operating on the margins by committing to MacOS, so when they start getting hosed by the likes of SIP and no communication as to how to comply with it or adapt their software for it, it's not exactly a glowing reassurance that the platform is worth continuing to support. It's symbiotic.

E2: yes, I am a moany bastard!

Theophany fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 29, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Man I was there to parrot the company line about Altivec and RISC.

Good lord speaking of price points remember the 20th Anniversary Mac. 20th anniversary, and we've now passed its 20th anniversary

The first Mac I got my hands on was... a Lisa... :corsair:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dick Trauma posted:

The first Mac I got my hands on was... a Lisa... :corsair:

Oh I’m not saying that was my first apple battle ...

:negative:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody have any experience with the warranty on apple adapters? I bought an Apple USB-C multiport adapter from Amazon last August, and the cable is coming apart and intermittently failing. I don't have the box anymore, but of course I can get a copy of the receipt.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple has replaced Apple-branded cables and adapters that are fraying and failing for me, with no receipt and no warranty (with an 'oh, gosh, that shouldn't be happening' look). But I've been told this is not 100% everyone's experience.

Amazon's got good customer service too. It's been a while, so ask them.

Also you probably bought it with a credit card, a lot of credit cards have warranty extension as a perk, so worst-case you can claim it against that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

As long as your dog didn’t chew it the Apple store will generally replace it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Oh I’m not saying that was my first apple battle ...

:negative:

I bet this was your first Apple battle...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh for the halcyon days of 7 colors and 280 X 192 resolution and your only graphics commands were in an AppleSoft or Integer Basic ROM..

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If you need more than 3k :getout:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Used Macs live in a forever repair cycle like cars do in Cuba. Unofficial MacOS updates. Leaked macOS source code. Unofficial EFI. Unofficial hardware upgrades. Alternate OSs but none of them will take over for decades. Hackintoshes. Think what happened to PPC Macs only with way more people interested in them.

This is my fan fiction.

Can't wait for my corner TV repair place to sell me a ATX Hackintosh mobo reclaimed from desoldered iMac chips and hacked SMC.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

Power Macs were actually cheaper than they are now.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Anyone know if the SSD in a 2013 rMBP 15" is compatible with the 2015 rMBP? I'm tempted to snag a 2015 rMBP this weekend as an insurance policy against them discontinuing it without a suitable replacement for my needs. I have a 1TB SSD in my 2013 and I'd like to avoid the $600 BTO option. Might make it easier to return within 14 days in case they keep it around for another year.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

apple has the ability to make great computers, they just don't care enough to.

at apple i do earnestly believed the leaders are more like amplifiers, so all of their tastes trickle down because all known history of that company's internal politics are project leaders wanting it to be to their tastes. it's easy to tell now that jobs did earnestly love computers, and maybe if he were still alive, he'd be board chairman and would let someone else let the iphone continue to be a money factory but he'd be in the offices going "no, jony, you fool" for macs.

jobs used mac pros, cook uses ipads, and that's the best analogy you can create for modern apple i believe

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xarph posted:

Anyone know if the SSD in a 2013 rMBP 15" is compatible with the 2015 rMBP? I'm tempted to snag a 2015 rMBP this weekend as an insurance policy against them discontinuing it without a suitable replacement for my needs. I have a 1TB SSD in my 2013 and I'd like to avoid the $600 BTO option. Might make it easier to return within 14 days in case they keep it around for another year.

If you have a late 2013 it will swap just fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

xarph posted:

Yes, it is, although if the machine's been upgraded to High Sierra there is an even lower cost option for an internal SSD..

This adapter plus a $400 off the shelf 1 TB M.2 960/970 EVO will also get you the storage you're looking for if you don't want to throw big bucks at used Apple parts.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

~Coxy posted:

I was gonna say that the Mac Pro (and iMac Pro) use Xeon whereas the rest of the lineup uses Core i5/i7, but then I remembered the last PowerBook and Power Mac used the G4 while the iBook had a G3. Now the Macbook uses a low-power Core m3 and the Macbook Pro uses Core i5/i7, while the desktops use Xeon and Radeon Pro parts (and are fantastically expensive).

Anyway, no point just rambling :words:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mark Larson posted:

I was gonna say that the Mac Pro (and iMac Pro) use Xeon whereas the rest of the lineup uses Core i5/i7, but then I remembered the last PowerBook and Power Mac used the G4 while the iBook had a G3. Now the Macbook uses a low-power Core m3 and the Macbook Pro uses Core i5/i7, while the desktops use Xeon and Radeon Pro parts (and are fantastically expensive).

Anyway, no point just rambling :words:

You forget the thermal equivalent of a dying sun that was the G5, goonsir.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Yes, it is, although if the machine's been upgraded to High Sierra there is an even lower cost option for an internal SSD..

This adapter plus a $400 off the shelf 1 TB M.2 960/970 EVO will also get you the storage you're looking for if you don't want to throw big bucks at used Apple parts.

Does TRIM need to be manually enabled using this adapter and a 3rd party ssd?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Is that adjusted for inflation? Those $2k PowerMacs would be something close to $4k now.

My mom dumped $3k on an IBM PS/2 model 30 back in 1990 and I think that was with her employee discount. I can't even imagine spending $5k on a computer now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is that adjusted for inflation? Those $2k PowerMacs would be something close to $4k now.

My mom dumped $3k on an IBM PS/2 model 30 back in 1990 and I think that was with her employee discount. I can't even imagine spending $5k on a computer now.

That's $17,600 today.

At that time this computer was the "best of the best" targeted at pro users.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Does TRIM need to be manually enabled using this adapter and a 3rd party ssd?

Funny thing, in my experience if it's a Samsung 9x0, it's auto-recognized and enabled.

If you use something like a Kingston or a MyDigital ($290 for 1 TB! But it's only PCIe 2X which is good enough for 2013 models) you may have to enable it.

2015's have PCIe 4x for the SSD slot so their throughput is faster.

One of the only caveats is that you have to shut off hibernation for 2013-14 machines, 2015's can deal with NVMe a lot better, although work is progressing on adding APFM to 2013-2014 rMBPs so that they don't drain your batteries any faster than a platter drive.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 30, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Theophany posted:

You forget the thermal equivalent of a dying sun that was the G5, goonsir.

Yeah, the dual processor G5 with liquid cooling was the disastrous nightmare you imagine, especially since it was the first ever liquid cooling Apple ever used, they wound up replacing angry customers's G5s leaking greenish goo with 1st gen Mac Pro cheese graters.

Get above working with more than 3 layers in PhotoSlop and those guys would sound like fighter jets about to take off.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, the dual processor G5 with liquid cooling was the disastrous nightmare you imagine, especially since it was the first ever liquid cooling Apple ever used, they wound up replacing angry customers's G5s leaking greenish goo with 1st gen Mac Pro cheese graters.

Get above working with more than 3 layers in PhotoSlop and those guys would sound like fighter jets about to take off.

The MDD G4 was pretty loud too. I took mine out to wipe the drive before getting rid of it and good lord it's loud all the time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

That's $17,600 today.

At that time this computer was the "best of the best" targeted at pro users.

I do like how for $17k they can't even throw in the mouse gratis. Or even max out the RAM.

Computer prices were a shitshow until about 1999.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have one of every cool PPC Mac.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Krispy Wafer posted:

I do like how for $17k they can't even throw in the mouse gratis. Or even max out the RAM.

Computer prices were a shitshow until about 1999.

Mice were like $129.

Super luxury item in the days before GUIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I guess I'm younger than you guys, my first PERSONAL PC was an IBM Aptiva. 1998, don't know what they had, probably a Pentium II. Def not the AMD. I remember we had that for a while, 56k dialup that only connected at around 35-40k, and my uncle in New York City wanted to use Netmeeting to voice chat with us. Because long distance in North America was still a thing. He was working for some software company in the World Trade Centre (which went under before 9/11, lucky him) and he was wealthy (as software consultants in the late 90s tended to be!) so he bought a PC-DVD for me for my birthday, the Creative Labs one, with the passthrough decoder card. And The Matrix. And man seeing The Matrix on that Sony Trinitron was the greatest thing ever. My first Mac was an iBook G4, old enough but still too modern to circlejerk about ancient Macs. My dad used to work for IBM though, and had a work laptop they sent him home with ... a Thinkpad, obviously, back when IBM still owned the brand... and OS/2 install disks. Dangerous combination, because one day he was at work and he left his laptop at home, and I formatted the drat thing and installed OS/2 Warp. He wasn't angry, he was just amused. Ah. Memories.