Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Infinitum posted:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Marshmallow looked like a very cute kitty, and she had a very cool name.

Please accept these 2 images of my little dumbass Glitch to cheer you up. She has finally learnt that laps are 100% a good thing

She is currently moving her water bowl slowly to the other side of the room, because I'm an idiot that taught her water is fun to play with while training her to take baths :cripes:

In about 5min time I'm going to have her jump up on my lap with 2 very wet paws.

EDIT: My lap is now wet

At least she likes water. Domino dumps cups just to watch whatever was in them flow around but if he gets his dainty little paws wet it is the end of the world. There's flailing and scampering and laps that get run. He is not a smart cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Synthbuttrange posted:

How old is the cat? Young cats have baby teeth like humans

Fiaca is about 2 years old.

Update: finally took her to the vet, looks like It was a loose tooth, and It was going to fall anyway, the rest if her mouth is ok. Thanks for the support and advice!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dek posted:

Fiaca is about 2 years old.

Update: finally took her to the vet, looks like It was a loose tooth, and It was going to fall anyway, the rest if her mouth is ok. Thanks for the support and advice!!

Glad to hear she's fine! :D

Also Glitch is an excellent name for an excellent kitte.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Synthbuttrange posted:

How old is the cat? Young cats have baby teeth like humans

Huh, that might explain some of Cayenne's weird behavior last year re:treats for a bit.

wonder where the increasingly large pile of surplus kitty teeth is

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Don't forget to vote in the GBS Best Cat contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857561

Moo Moo sends all your kitties her love!

Moo Moo kitten GIFs: http://moomoo.glitch.me/

Moo Moo adult GIFs: https://bigmoomoo.glitch.me/

Third one coming very soon

https://www.instagram.com/moo_squared/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Len posted:

At least she likes water. Domino dumps cups just to watch whatever was in them flow around but if he gets his dainty little paws wet it is the end of the world. There's flailing and scampering and laps that get run. He is not a smart cat.

My older cat checks the water level in his water bowl pretty regularly with his paw because ???

My young cat has learned this behavior.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I bought a water fountain for my cats to use and after about one day the older male was in love with it. He can easily drink out of the top and seemingly takes much less time drinking now, too.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Hi, I came to ask a quick question.

Our female cat, Abby, who is almost 5 years old, who we’ve had since she was about 6 months old, and was spayed by the shelter where we also got her brother and somewhat rude companion.

We feed them Nutro Max Cat Adult variety, they haven’t been to the vet in over a year because the last visit was a caterwaul nightmare for both of them, they’re both indoor cats, so the vet told us some of the vaccines weren’t so important. Vet sent us a reminder for the male, Gibbs, a few months ago.

The two of them are our only pets, and they share three litter boxes.

Anyway, getting to the actual problem. Abby today was spotted dragging her rear end along the carpet, from about 6 feet into my parents’ room, all the way to about 4 feet into the hallway, and she expressed her anal glands most of the way. Shortly after, she took a poo poo in one of the boxes. Any idea what could be wrong?

And this would be a perfect day for needing vet attention, as it would mean a trip all the way to the emergency vet.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

kuroshi posted:

Anyway, getting to the actual problem. Abby today was spotted dragging her rear end along the carpet, from about 6 feet into my parents’ room, all the way to about 4 feet into the hallway, and she expressed her anal glands most of the way. Shortly after, she took a poo poo in one of the boxes. Any idea what could be wrong?

And this would be a perfect day for needing vet attention, as it would mean a trip all the way to the emergency vet.

I believe most scooting is anal-gland-related, although it could also be worms. I'd get her checked out by a vet, but it's not likely to be an emergency unless she's not eating/using the litterbox or otherwise expressing pain.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Random cat question:

So, cats apparently don't have the ability to taste sweet things. But my idiot cat Mulder absolutely loves sweet foods. He likes the usual dairy stuff cats go after like yoghurt and whipped cream, but he will regularly fight me for popsicles, fruit juice, fruit, and fruity candy. Idiot headbutts my face when I eat suckers or hard candy. He tried to steal dried kiwis from me yesterday.

I mean, he does also enjoy eating fabric and my hair, so he may just be a bit touched.... Just wondered if anybody's cat also defies convention.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I’ve done a thing. Got two new kittens.

My current cat I got from a house that he apparently wasn’t getting along with dogs and other cats. So for a few years now it’s just been me and Frenzy. He’s always been...his own person. Doesn’t want to be picked up much, and if anyone else came over he’d hide and hiss and be unfriendly.
Eventually he could warm up to people, but never encountered other pets
I’m pretty sure he’s the leader of the house and I’m his pet.

The kittens were rescued from behind an apartment complex where people regularly leave their pets and contribute to the wild cat population.

They are definitely smaller than I thought I would be getting, and they do not like me picking them up and messing with them.

I have kittens separated in a bathroom, gave them a bath, got a litter box and food and water, and their carrier set up for sleeping

Frenzy has been loving pissed off since I brought them home, even smelling me and hissing and not getting close.

And now the best part, pictures.

The kittens are hard to get a pic but rest assured I’ll get some soon.

Sandwich Fight fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 29, 2018

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Huh, that might explain some of Cayenne's weird behavior last year re:treats for a bit.

wonder where the increasingly large pile of surplus kitty teeth is

Last time I took Creampuff to the vet she mentioned that CP was missing one or two of her teeth. I told her I hadn't noticed any laying around and she told me thats normal; a lot of times when young kitties start losing their baby teeth they swallow them.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Random cat question:

So, cats apparently don't have the ability to taste sweet things. But my idiot cat Mulder absolutely loves sweet foods. He likes the usual dairy stuff cats go after like yoghurt and whipped cream, but he will regularly fight me for popsicles, fruit juice, fruit, and fruity candy. Idiot headbutts my face when I eat suckers or hard candy. He tried to steal dried kiwis from me yesterday.

I mean, he does also enjoy eating fabric and my hair, so he may just be a bit touched.... Just wondered if anybody's cat also defies convention.

I had one that liked cantaloupe. Didn't eat much of it, but sometimes wanted a piece. I got him when I lived in a rural area and he just showed up and told me he was my cat now. He smelled a bit like cantaloupe at first, so I'm guessing maybe he encountered it when he lived outside.

Now I have one that really likes pastry, especially pastry with fruit. Usually wants a bite of Fig Newton, raspberry coffee cake, etc. Vet says he's not overweight, and I just give him a couple oversize crumbs at a time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackchamber posted:

Last time I took Creampuff to the vet she mentioned that CP was missing one or two of her teeth. I told her I hadn't noticed any laying around and she told me thats normal; a lot of times when young kitties start losing their baby teeth they swallow them.

Makes me worry they’d puncture their insides doing that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Eh, kitten teeth are tiny, I wouldn't worry about that -- and they're not all that sharp either. They probably pass through just fine. I found two laying around (not passed through obviously) and they don't look much worse than what cats would eat in the wild.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I keep reading about how cats don't like walking on aluminum foil and I think Domino is broken. I put some on top of my desktop tower to maybe stop him from using it as a springboard, and it doesn't. He just loses his footing a little before laying down.

Yesterday he lost his footing, fell off the tower, got snagged in the wires from the modem and router, and then tangled behind the TV when he pulled everything down. So after I saved him from that you would think he would go "oh man that was scary" and avoid the area right? Nope. Dumbass was right back on top of the computer.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
We're finally getting 100 degree temps, so I put the central air on finally. Claudius has basically been living on the dinner table to take advantage of the airflow in the apartment and cool off on the hard surface and when she realized what was happening, vaulted into my lap and gave what was unmistakably a hug with her forepaws. She's been highly aggressively snuggly about it in the days since.

I think also she was getting a heat rash too. Nothing a little hydro-cortisone and peroxide couldn't handle, but a little scabby bit probably doesn't feel great on your forehead at 90+ degrees and you're covered with two coats of fluff.

Len posted:

So I keep reading about how cats don't like walking on aluminum foil and I think Domino is broken. I put some on top of my desktop tower to maybe stop him from using it as a springboard, and it doesn't. He just loses his footing a little before laying down.

Yesterday he lost his footing, fell off the tower, got snagged in the wires from the modem and router, and then tangled behind the TV when he pulled everything down. So after I saved him from that you would think he would go "oh man that was scary" and avoid the area right? Nope. Dumbass was right back on top of the computer.

49% of cats are the exception to every cat rule you've ever heard.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I just weighed the babies and they are both 1.4 lb each. So small!

I gave them a bath last night with just warm water and a little dawn soap. I saw a few fleas and a whole lot of dirt come off them, but the cream colored one I can see the fleas moving still.

I bought a flea brush and did a dry comb through and got a few more off, but still I see more.
Is it okay to give them another bath tonight and really try to get everything?
The gray stripe kitten is a little more docile, but very hard to see any fleas
Cream baby is feisty and constantly wiggling.

Also yeah is getting them used to me just a matter of picking them up and petting and bothering them a lot?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Yep! Forced socialization for street kittens just means give them lots of cuddles. Try to touch their toes once in a while so they get used to it and their claws can get trimmed easier as they grow. This also means flip them onto their back like you would to examine their bellies or toes. They'll squirm but if you do it a little longer every day or two, they'll get used to it. Your older cat will also get used to it the more they're around. He may never love them but in general shouldn't be aggressive towards them.

Also, try to weigh the kittens every couple of days to make sure they're growing well and don't need supplemental feeding.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You could probably do some flea shampoo or get advantage to deal with the rest. Feliway helps with introductions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah, don't overdo it to the point they get really stressed, but basically bother them, pick them up, handle them, proddle at them, they're young enough that they should get used to it pretty quickly. If you can dump 'em in your lap for a little while and give them pet, so much the better!

As for the fleas, bathing and combing is the best option until you can see a vet; the reason I recommend a vet for these fleas is that very young/small kittens often need specific flea medications because the regular stuff has the potential to be harmful (I tend to see them saying 8 weeks and/or 2lbs minimum), so you'll want to make sure they'll be okay. Don't leave it though, fleas can be surprisingly dangerous for kittens. If you can get a look at their mouths check the gums; if they're pink there's no emergency, but if they're more white then the vet needs to be a top priority.

(You want to get them to the vet anyway because who knows what a couple of alley cats have, they'll need vaccines, chipping, checked for general health issues, etc.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If you've got a baby pen or other largish inescapable (for smol kittens) container, you can make a kitten panopticon to put out in whatever room you spend the most time in when you're home too. Some time in there will also help them get used to your presence and noise so they can start thinking of people stuff as business as usual.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I posted back in February about some cat issues and have mostly bad updates.

Guy on the left is Kimchi, guy on the right is Mufasa. Originally Mufasa was having poop issues in that his stools became very small and he was leaving them anywhere a litter box was not, but always in the vicinity of a box. In the last three weeks he took an absolute rocket dive to the bottom: Lost a poo poo load of weight and strength, lost all temperament and became a weird cat zombie, and tried one day to hop onto a preferred perch but failed and ended up hurting himself. This was the downward spiral as he spent the next few days hiding in strange places and only venturing out to drink water from time to time. He had interest in food but would only eat a little and wander off to go hide again. In the last week he has started to urinate anywhere, and as far as I can tell he has stopped pooping completely. Even walking a few feet to get to a food bowl he'd stumble. Got him to the vet today as little more than a bag of fur, skin, and bones and after a quick look the doctor was stunned at the weight loss from January to now, felt some serious abnormalities in Mufasa's abdomen, and given his general lethargy feels that we are justified in ending it all. The euthanasia is scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Still working on the daughter about what's going to happen and let her decide if she wants to be there for it. This poo poo sucks because between the two cats he is the better family oriented one.

Kimchi, on the other hand, is an rear end in a top hat and has declared an all out poo poo jihad on the family. I mean literally: He poops everywhere. We've been slowly closing off rooms of the house from him lest they get poop bombed. The first was the guest bathroom and in the two times we've accidentally left that door loose or open he gets in there and immediately drops a hell muffin. Other than that he'll toss turds all over the house, but he tends to prefer carpeted areas because of course he does. More recently he upped the ante by dropping a loaf right on my bed while no one was home. Then he did it again. For the trifecta though he really did something magical: With myself and the fiance on the bed, along with the aforementioned Mufasa before he went deader, all sitting and chilling on the bed Kimchi walked into the room and executed an amazing jump on to the bed in ready-to-poo poo-stance, landed, and proceeded to poo poo in front of all three parties right on the bed. Seriously, I was about to start laughing at how he landed on the bed with all legs spread like the landing legs on a drone but then I realized what was going on. I picked him up and ran to the nearest litter box but he just left a trail of brown gold on the way there. This cat previously had a much more pronounced vomiting issue that seems to have been traded for a poo poo everywhere problem.

He's currently eating Iams for adult cats as dry food for grazing and Natural Balance for wet food which is served on a demand basis. This combo has greatly cut down on painting the earth with vomit, but now he's painting it in poop.

Kimchi and Mufasa never really got along although from watching them during the early days some attempts were made by both parties at playing but were never reciprocated by the other party at the given moment. It's like their timing was all off.

So I got a cat on death row and another who shits everywhere. Yay.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Heavy Petting > The Cat FAQ/Megathread: An all out poo poo jihad

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

speaking of poo poo...

kitten question: Is a little bit of diarrhea normal while weaning? Every online resource I see says "OMG GO TO THE VET RIGHT NOW" but most of the scary causes are things I can rule out. The kittens have been with me since the day they were born, and have no fleas or other parasites. There have been no changes in diet other than weaning onto quality wet and dry kitten food. The two kittens with the runs are still gaining weight and just as energetic as their siblings. It's been going on for about 3 days and seems to be getting slowly better.

another kitten question: What can be done to encourage weaning? One of the kittens (not one with diarrhea) has been slow to wean and is only interested in wet food, not dry. Momcat is getting to the point where she's just over it and isn't nursing much, but Stevie's weight gain is starting to lag. Mom needs to get spayed and returned to her original owner- no huge rush but she's still showing some signs of anxiety and I think she'll be happier when she's home. Kittens are 7 weeks today.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I couldn't bring myself to type it out last week but I had to have the vet out to put Oliver to sleep. He'd been rather clingy for the last couple of months, then got confused/lost and I found him hunched over in the field opposite my house getting rained on.
After that I locked the catflap and he spent as much time as I could give him in my arms - I'm pretty sure he knew he didn't have long left. I woke up 4 day later to him crying downstairs. His front legs were locked out under him and he'd pushed himself across the floor and gotten wedged in behind a box. He'd pee'd himself and he was gasping so got him comfy and rang the vets. They were out within half an hour which I appreciate. She reckoned he'd most likely (given his medical history) had a stroke with a blood clot blocking the blood vessel to his back legs. There wasn't much point in taking him for tests, the impression she gave me was 'this cat is hosed, be a decent citizen and call it'.
She injected something into his stomach - she said it'd hurt with his legs locked up so a larger amount into his stomach would be easier on him. I held him while he died. 18 years we lived together. I'm fortunate to still have Buffy but there's a huge hole in my life. My mother was kind enough to come up the day after and help me bury him up on the banking he loved with his best buddy Frankies ashes. I couldn't face another one alone.

Farewell old man, no regets, we had a good time.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

He looks and sounds like such a good cat. I'm glad he was loved and treated well. You gave him an excellent life.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Rip, Oliver, a good and cute catte.

I only hope I'm with mine for another nine years.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

speaking of poo poo...

kitten question: Is a little bit of diarrhea normal while weaning? Every online resource I see says "OMG GO TO THE VET RIGHT NOW" but most of the scary causes are things I can rule out. The kittens have been with me since the day they were born, and have no fleas or other parasites. There have been no changes in diet other than weaning onto quality wet and dry kitten food. The two kittens with the runs are still gaining weight and just as energetic as their siblings. It's been going on for about 3 days and seems to be getting slowly better.

another kitten question: What can be done to encourage weaning? One of the kittens (not one with diarrhea) has been slow to wean and is only interested in wet food, not dry. Momcat is getting to the point where she's just over it and isn't nursing much, but Stevie's weight gain is starting to lag. Mom needs to get spayed and returned to her original owner- no huge rush but she's still showing some signs of anxiety and I think she'll be happier when she's home. Kittens are 7 weeks today.

I'm no expert on the very young, but you sound like you're thinning about it the right way. The obvious answer is too call a vet for their suggestion, which very well might be some blood/stool tests, but if you're seeing marked improvement you might be fine. I wouldn't worry about the cat preferring wet food unless it's really not eating enough calories...that's the best case scenario, I'd think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fabulousity posted:

So I got a cat on death row and another who shits everywhere. Yay.

I'm sorry for your cat troubles :( Mufasa will soon be at peace and in no pain, and I hope Kimchi learns some poop propriety. Could be he's stressed because of Mufasa's issues

Ratzap posted:

I couldn't bring myself to type it out last week but I had to have the vet out to put Oliver to sleep. He'd been rather clingy for the last couple of months, then got confused/lost and I found him hunched over in the field opposite my house getting rained on.
After that I locked the catflap and he spent as much time as I could give him in my arms - I'm pretty sure he knew he didn't have long left. I woke up 4 day later to him crying downstairs. His front legs were locked out under him and he'd pushed himself across the floor and gotten wedged in behind a box. He'd pee'd himself and he was gasping so got him comfy and rang the vets. They were out within half an hour which I appreciate. She reckoned he'd most likely (given his medical history) had a stroke with a blood clot blocking the blood vessel to his back legs. There wasn't much point in taking him for tests, the impression she gave me was 'this cat is hosed, be a decent citizen and call it'.
She injected something into his stomach - she said it'd hurt with his legs locked up so a larger amount into his stomach would be easier on him. I held him while he died. 18 years we lived together. I'm fortunate to still have Buffy but there's a huge hole in my life. My mother was kind enough to come up the day after and help me bury him up on the banking he loved with his best buddy Frankies ashes. I couldn't face another one alone.

Farewell old man, no regets, we had a good time.

Rest in peace Oliver, you were perfect :unsmith: I'm sorry for your loss Ratzap.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ms Adequate already posted what I would. Rest In Peace, good cats.

Fabulousity, has Kimchi seen the vet? If so,I missed that part. Hopefully his poop war is easily resolved with some meds.

I bring cat pics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, fellow cat-havers. My girlfriend and I are on the verge of adopting a second cat. Some friends have an extremely friendly and sweet stray who is currently living on their porch and they can't take him in because one of them is "will need an EpiPen" levels of allergic to cat dander. They've taken him to the vet for a check-up and he's a little under a year old, just got shots, was treated for fleas and worms, all of that.

We currently have a very friendly and not-at-all-shy 6-year-old female cat. But I have no idea if there's any signs one way or the other that a cat might be good around other cats. When we adopted her she was sharing a cage with another cat and seemed fine, and she's not the kind of cat who hides and runs away from visitors (quite the opposite--she demands attention from people). She didn't even run and hide for very long when a friend brought his very playful dog over, though I expect another cat is a different matter. She's also never really shown aggression--even when she plays, she's never really scratched or bitten me except accidentally, like if she runs over my foot while chasing something.

All of that, combined with the new, younger cat's apparently extremely sweet and docile personality, suggests this should go well, but if anyone's aware of any warning signs to look out for I'd love to know.

Also: any tips for introducing them if we go through with it? I've posted on here before that I previously had a horrible experience with it when my parents got a second cat when I was a kid--the two hated each other for life--but that multi-week, extremely gradual process most websites recommend seems... impractical, especially given our apartment layout. What experiences have you all had introducing a second cat? Should I just buckle down and do the whole process as well as I can?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty much. Do you have a bathroom or other area you can close off and use as the new cat's room for awhile?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sandwich Fight posted:

I just weighed the babies and they are both 1.4 lb each. So small!

I gave them a bath last night with just warm water and a little dawn soap. I saw a few fleas and a whole lot of dirt come off them, but the cream colored one I can see the fleas moving still.

I bought a flea brush and did a dry comb through and got a few more off, but still I see more.
Is it okay to give them another bath tonight and really try to get everything?
The gray stripe kitten is a little more docile, but very hard to see any fleas
Cream baby is feisty and constantly wiggling.

Also yeah is getting them used to me just a matter of picking them up and petting and bothering them a lot?

Cream baby looks to have some Siamese traits so that sounds 100% right.

I'm sorry for all the cat losses, everyone. Lots of good kitties in this thread who made it to one last spring/summer (fall/winter) before needing to say goodbye.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm not an expert, but I can give you my experience of the last week in a similar situation.

The existing cat is an 11-year-old who had lived his whole life up to that point with our other slightly older cat. The slightly older cat passed away about a month ago. The existing cat has always been active and almost aggressively playful, but is hesitant around new people and scared of strange animals, sounds, etc. He's never hostile and won't scratch or attack anyone, only run away.

We got a kitten from the humane society. The kitten is bouncy, active, and friendly. The kitten assumes the older cat is of course his friend and wants to play. Constantly.

We took a long weekend (to be around as much as possible) and started the kitten in our bathroom. We live in a small apartment and the bathroom is the only room with a door (the bedroom is more of a loft, no door). After a couple days, where the existing cat would hiss and run away when he saw the kitten, we slowly let the kitten out in supervised adventures.

Six days later and it has been slow but steady progress. The older cat will hang around the kitten, but still acts afraid and runs away (despite weighing 6x more) when the kitten gets especially playful. There is occasional hissing, but no claws or actual fighting.

My amateur advice: look up a handful of websites and youtube videos on integration of cats. Take it as gradual as your schedule allows, starting with smells, then glimpses, then maybe food in each other's presence. Reward all good interactions with treats. Keep the kitten sequestered when you're not around (or at night) until you're certain that your current cat won't hurt it.

Good luck!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It's worth at least trying. I got a 7 month old kitten last November. One of my pre-existing feline conditions hated her, I think because she smelled weird. (She really did, some kind of medicine I think.) He even hissed at me, which was very odd.

I kept them apart for a week, kitten in the bedroom, though they accidentally all met as I was bringing her in. There was a lot of fussing and hissing at doors and things, but by the end of the week, they seemed ok. By day 12, the cat that hated her was sharing a chair with her. Now everybody loves her and there is much grooming. The shelter had asked that I give it two weeks, but it was pretty clear that they were ok with each other earlier, so I exercised judgement.

Might be it'll take less than a week for you if yours isn't a self-appointed guardian of the house, but I think a little separation is good just to prevent lovely instant reactions that poison the relationship for the future. Last batch of cats I had, I just let them work it out for themselves with no separation, and none of them really ever liked each other. I saw no grooming, ever.

A little patience might go a long way here. Cuddly cat-piles are worth it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the advice! The new cat seems like such a sweet little boy. He has my friends so charmed that they're willing to drive him to Wisconsin from Ohio so he can have a safe home. I'm leaning yes on adopting him, myself, and I think my girlfriend is, too.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pretty much. Do you have a bathroom or other area you can close off and use as the new cat's room for awhile?

Yeah, and there's a side room I can close off, too. I'd feel bad about that because that side room lacks windows, but I do plan to let the new cat have that as his safe spot for a bit.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, and there's a side room I can close off, too. I'd feel bad about that because that side room lacks windows, but I do plan to let the new cat have that as his safe spot for a bit.

That's probably a good plan. And remember that it's not just a safe spot for the new cat. It's also a way for your existing cat to smell and hear the intruder for a while (a couple days, in our case) and get used to the idea before an actual confrontation.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

For those of you who follows the yospos cat thread, this is old news:

I'm on week 3 of introducing a new shy cat to my extremely cuddly and friendly current cat who wants nothing more than to murder this new intruder. New cat has her own private room where she's doing great, and they both can do ok playing several feet away from each other, but old cat still once in a while starts to move agressively towards newcat so I have to hold her back and we go back to playing until the next time. A couple days ago they were ok playing on opposite sides of a baby gate and I thought I had enough time to go downstairs to get the treat bag. I was pretty wrong and Milly chased, cornered and attacked Butters in her house. It was noisy and looked scary but Butters is no worse for wear and was back to playing happily once I booted Milly out.

I'm patient and am doing the right things, its just going to take a heck of a long time. Milly is the cuddliest drat thing ever as long as she's can't see Butters.

Jerkass

Lil Butters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

incogneato posted:

That's probably a good plan. And remember that it's not just a safe spot for the new cat. It's also a way for your existing cat to smell and hear the intruder for a while (a couple days, in our case) and get used to the idea before an actual confrontation.

Yeah, for sure. If we do take him in, I plan to keep Jasmine (the current cat) in the bedroom while we bring the new cat into the home and get him situated, just to prevent any potential run-ins before they're ready.

The new cat seems very relaxed and friendly, and Jasmine is extremely gregarious (and vocal), so my hope is that it's a good sign and she'll be that way around another cat, too.