Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ErIog posted:

I think how you view the current moment comes down to how long your memory is or how informed you are about prior administrations. The president demonizing the press got into full swing with Nixon, but had been going for a while among the Buckleyites. The president demonizing government itself got into full swing under Reagan, but also had been going for a while in the RWM sphere long before then.

...Bush...Carter.

I'm 51 and remember Nixon, Carter and Reagan quite well. I've NEVER seen anything remotely close to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

The one thing that is kind of new and frightening is how uninterested a lot of Democratic leadership is in trying to regain the low/middle class labor voters they've completely given up on or have ceded to the Republicans. The fact that they have to be dragged kicking and screaming toward sane policy like $15 min. wage or medicare for all means that if you're a voter who has a hankering for populist messaging then you've really only one choice.

It's really really cute how people keep pushing "white working class innocence" narratives here. Most "low class" labor already votes Democrat when they aren't being kept from voting by widespread voter intimidation tactics from voter id to simply lovely poll hours.

The way you talk, you'd think Mondale and Dukakis didn't push labor and general economic left positions, and lose handily against grossly anti-labor politicians like Reagan and Bush I. Or you know, that the Clintons didn't push hard for universal health care back in the 90s and get crucified over it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean I assume Fishmech has Peterson handled and I really don’t want to be around to see whatever he does, like some kind of Hellraiser or Event Horizon poo poo

to clarify, in my hell analogy fishmech's job responsibilities are "torment the other inhabitants in the most poetically fitting manner possible"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

People in The 80s saw Wallstreet as aspirational and Reagan as their favorite grandpa. Those same people see Trump as their peer today.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

RuanGacho posted:

People in The 80s saw Wallstreet as aspirational and Reagan as their favorite grandpa. Those same people see Trump as their peer today.

Replace Wall St. with Silicon Valley and everything old is new again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rex-Goliath posted:

Replace Wall St. with Silicon Valley and everything old is new again

I will unironically assert that Silicon Valley is a moral improvement from Wall Street.

:toot:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I will unironically assert that Silicon Valley is a moral improvement from Wall Street.

True as that is that isn't exactly a high bar. That's like saying getting stabbed is an improvement over getting shot. Like sure that's true but they both still suck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Silicon Valley is a mixed bag, and the closer a company is to the advertising industry, the worse it gets.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fishmech posted:

The way you talk, you'd think Mondale and Dukakis didn't push labor and general economic left positions, and lose handily against grossly anti-labor politicians like Reagan and Bush I. Or you know, that the Clintons didn't push hard for universal health care back in the 90s and get crucified over it.

Do you have evidence to the support the fact that the reason they lost was because they pushed those positions, and not due to other factors of their candidacy?

It's seems silly to defend not taking very popular left wing positions because other candidates in the past also took some left wing positions in the past but still lost. By this standard shouldn't we also say that running centrist positions is bad because Hillary lost?

My main point is that you see some of these left wing positions polling very well, but the Democrats treating those positions like kryptonite. That doesn't bode well.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 29, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

No, it's almost entirely from the right. These people do not believe in science or that gay people are human beings with rights.

Most, maybe, but I've had way too many people insist to me that if we just made Fox illegal all of democracy's problems would be solved forever to believe that it's just coming from the right anymore. I think people just want to believe that it's as simple as that: arrest the people who don't believe the right things and it's a fast track to utopia. The innocent have nothing to fear, etc.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Eh... Where are we categorizing Uber?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

Do you have evidence to the support the fact that the reason they lost was because they pushed those positions, and not due to other factors of their candidacy?

It's seems silly to defend not taking very popular left wing positions because other candidates in the past also took some left wing positions in the past but still lost. By this standard shouldn't we also say that running centrist positions is bad because Hillary lost?

My main point is that you see some of these left wing positions polling very well, but the Democrats treating those positions like kryptonite. That doesn't bode well.

You're the one alleging those positions are so important that "betraying" them is why elections are being lost. Maybe you should ponder about what that means for your claims?

Hillary's positions weren't centrist in the first place, at least if you're also going to claim Bernie wasn't centrist dude. And since you seem to be painting warmed over Clinton healthcare proposals from the early 90s as leftist, well...

ErIog posted:

Democrats don't treat "those positions" like kryptonite in meaningful way.

Also again a lot of things that poll well in isolation don't vote well when bundled up, eg theres a lot of people who will rush to vote "gently caress the blacks" way before they vote "give me a raise at my minimum wage job".

RuanGacho posted:

This is the kind of thing certain people don't want to believe, because they desperately want to believe in some sort of betrayal narrative where the populace secretly wanted to not vote against labor protections, against the welfare state, etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what about the dems steadily losing power after young dems in the 70s moved the party rightward on economics.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

what about the dems steadily losing power after young dems in the 70s moved the party rightward on economics.

The democrats have moved on a leftward trend on economics over time. It did take quite a while for the "blue dog" style to switch from most of the bulk before the last realignment to nearly all of those being flushed out and switching over to the Republicans though (and vice versa eg many of the former big Northeast and West Coast Republican-but-progressive types taking their sweetass time to become Democrats).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i am somehow unsurprised you don’t know what im talking about.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fishmech posted:

And since you seem to be painting warmed over Clinton healthcare proposals from the early 90s as leftist, well...

I really don't understand what you're talking about here. My whole point is that Dems have moved away from the left over time, and that it has cut into their ability to message to voters what they will get by voting for Dems to the point that voters don't really seem Dems offering very much of anything whereas the GOP offers the sun and the moon.

The Clinton healthcare plan wasn't anything like Medicare for All, by the way. I'm not sure what you're smoking.

god drat wikipedia posted:

To achieve this, the Clinton health plan required each US citizen and permanent resident alien to become enrolled in a qualified health plan on his or her own or through programs mandated to be offered by businesses with more than 5,000 full-time employees. Subsidies were to be provided to those too poor to afford coverage, including complete subsidies for those below a set income level. Users would choose plans offered by regional health alliances to be established by each state. These alliances would purchase insurance coverage for the state's residents and could set fees for doctors who charge per procedure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

My whole point is that Dems have moved away from the left over time

Stop right here. This means your point is wrong. You are talking about something that isn't true.

ErIog posted:

The Clinton healthcare plan wasn't anything like Medicare for All, by the way. I'm not sure what you're smoking.

So first off, it's clear you don't know what Medicare actually is. And second. really, do you not know how countries like Germany implement universal health care and keep medical costs down? The final Clinton healthcare proposals of the 90s follow the German pattern which has proved very good at providing medical care, indeed Germany's one of the best places in the world for health care.

Of course Germany does have their own problems with it, there are edge cases that aren't covered. But it's a perfectly fine solution, and no solution is perfect.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm 51 and remember Nixon, Carter and Reagan quite well. I've NEVER seen anything remotely close to this.
I didn't recognize you without your AV for a moment.
Reach out to me if you'd like me to restore your AV. I can't afford much but I can do that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I didn't recognize you without your AV for a moment.
Reach out to me if you'd like me to restore your AV. I can't afford much but I can do that.

Thanks. I got banned by a de-commissioned mod and another mod (I forget who) promised me a new one but hasn't responded.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BiggerBoat posted:

Biased is one thing and "Fake" is another.

I feel like "fake" is easier to refute. "Biased" was far more insidious, in that it led to legitimate news outlets presenting outrageous opinions for the sake of appearing balanced.

One example was NPR interviewing white separatists as if they held it a normal and acceptable position.

Or all those damnable fluff pieces about how neo-nazis are regular Joe Americans like you and me.

Trump got something like $9B in free campaigning, and I'm sure most of that was media over-reaction to "liberal MSM won't talk about Trump!" Nobody wanted to seem biased so we saw dead air of Trump's empty podium rather than risk an accusation of liberal bias.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

While I think that's part of it, another factor is that the media in general loves Trump because he gets them eyes watching their coverage and reading their newspapers. People like Haberman aren't going to be negatively affected by anything Trump is doing so she is free to not take his threats seriously and occasionally polish his rough edges, while claiming to be holding him accountable. Additionally the types of people in the D.C and New York press desperately want to live in a reality where rules and protocol matter. When Trump openly poo poo all over that they were pressed very hard to try and pretend that wasn't happening hence them constantly wailing for the pivot or idiotic "Trump has finally become President" op-eds.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, I guess RWM has a new martyr. Rosanne got cancelled for being a racist rear end in a top hat

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/roseanne-twitter-chelsea-clinton/index.html

I guess she can get a job at FOX News now or something.

Edit: worth noting too that 15 or 20 years ago, these same chuds cast her as a villain for butchering the sacred U.S. national anthem

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Radish posted:

While I think that's part of it, another factor is that the media in general loves Trump because he gets them eyes watching their coverage and reading their newspapers.

Not sure that this will be true in a 2020 campaign. I don't think there has been anyone in human history who has been as overexposed and oversaturated in media coverage as Trump these last few years. I suspect most people are loving sick of seeing his mug and hearing his voice.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Guys, someone needs to check on Matt Walsh

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1001523000766795777

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1001525544914124801

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

...Did the Good Matt Walsh from Veep hijack Bad Matt Walsh’s twitter for a minute? :confused:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
His reaction probably has more to do that she's a long time lefty who fell prey to the feigned populism and conspiracy theories of Trumpism. If she'd been an actual conservative all along I doubt he'd bother with those kinds of takes.

e: My wording somewhat implies that Roseanne is a victim and I don't really mean that, she's vile.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

horse shoe theory is real.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Roseanne was basically a trap for the right. They had spent years trashing her for being a crazy lefty. Then she went crazy right and like... you could see the other ball ready to drop. Most of them fell for it because they're shameless and/or stupid but you gotta assume some of them didn't take the bait.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Maybe he's making a LittleGreenFootballs pivot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Roseanne was basically a trap for the right. They had spent years trashing her for being a crazy lefty. Then she went crazy right and like... you could see the other ball ready to drop. Most of them fell for it because they're shameless and/or stupid but you gotta assume some of them didn't take the bait.
I think it's less they didn't take the bait and more they were never going to say anything good about a woman with an opinion.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

STAC Goat posted:

You nailed it

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1001566696589717505

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Well Matt, It's because they're stupid. The same reason you have an audience at all.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Tweet deleted, for some reason

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Bill, it's because for over 300 years, people of African origin have been compared to apes to justify their treatment as less than human. Bill, come on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jordan peterson is so loving stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tlIGAg1aiU

edit: hahaha all the reuploads and clips saying peterson DESTROYED dyson. what loving delusion.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 30, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The right-wing Twitterati is coming after noted liberal champion Bill Maher now that they're out for blood following Roseanne's cancellation.

Naturally, the left is shaking in its proverbial boots.

https://twitter.com/Manglewood/status/1001568792412131328
https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/1001553595635044352
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1001554455773446144

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ZDar Fan posted:

Tweet deleted, for some reason

This one is still up though. https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1001527719681757185

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The funny part about them going after Maher is that Maher is very adamantly against running people off the air for political reasons and is friends with Roseanne, so I won't be at all surprised if he invites her on to dump on ABC together.

On the other hand though, he also really wants to grill her for turning into a Trumper.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks. I got banned by a de-commissioned mod and another mod (I forget who) promised me a new one but hasn't responded.
Do you still have my contact info from last time? I kinda need the picture and text again because I don't think I hung on to it.

I'm happy to help SA and Lowtax with some money towards his health problems, and get you your AV back.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do you still have my contact info from last time? I kinda need the picture and text again because I don't think I hung on to it.

I'm happy to help SA and Lowtax with some money towards his health problems, and get you your AV back.

http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/?goon=Biggerboat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

True as that is that isn't exactly a high bar. That's like saying getting stabbed is an improvement over getting shot. Like sure that's true but they both still suck.

:thejoke:

I thought the toot would do it for sure