Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

You have absolutely no idea how long I have been looking for this game, half convincing myself it was a fever dream due to the odd visuals.

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A game I got on a shareware CD in the 90s, it was a side scrolling shooter, the main character was a Squirrel in a plane, and you were fighting Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army. I remember the game started explaining that Saddam wanted to take over the world because he found an old map of the Babylonian Empire that had conquered the world. I also remember there being another game with the same squirrel set in space where the squirrel thought aliens in a sort of lunar rover type vehicle. I also remember that the space game would crash my pc when I died if that helps at all.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

A game I got on a shareware CD in the 90s, it was a side scrolling shooter, the main character was a Squirrel in a plane, and you were fighting Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army. I remember the game started explaining that Saddam wanted to take over the world because he found an old map of the Babylonian Empire that had conquered the world. I also remember there being another game with the same squirrel set in space where the squirrel thought aliens in a sort of lunar rover type vehicle. I also remember that the space game would crash my pc when I died if that helps at all.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/skunnys-desert-raid
http://www.mobygames.com/game/skunny-lost-in-space

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yep that's it, thanks!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Here's one: It's a fairly old game, probably from the 90's? It was an adventure game about an investigator staying at a southern mansion, in a swampy area. A bunch of people were meeting there because a rich guy was going thru his will. The people there were the usual suspects: old rich lady, the general, etc. People start dying and a mystery is afoot. It's basically clue, but in point and click format.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gimbal lock posted:

Here's one: It's a fairly old game, probably from the 90's? It was an adventure game about an investigator staying at a southern mansion, in a swampy area. A bunch of people were meeting there because a rich guy was going thru his will. The people there were the usual suspects: old rich lady, the general, etc. People start dying and a mystery is afoot. It's basically clue, but in point and click format.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/colonels-bequest

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Immediately knocked out of the park. Gracias

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Oh my god, I had totally forgotten about Skunny. :allears:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Help me identify the source of the sound effect that’s been stuck in my head for decades:

It was an arcade machine from the late 80s / early nineties. The gameplay was shmup-ish, though the perspective was from behind your character and action proceeded “into” the screen. The setting was military (Vietnam?). There were at least two characters, one of which was a stereotyped Native American. When he picked up a certain power-up, he let out a really over-the-top war whoop.

What game was this?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lazyhound posted:

Help me identify the source of the sound effect that’s been stuck in my head for decades:

It was an arcade machine from the late 80s / early nineties. The gameplay was shmup-ish, though the perspective was from behind your character and action proceeded “into” the screen. The setting was military (Vietnam?). There were at least two characters, one of which was a stereotyped Native American. When he picked up a certain power-up, he let out a really over-the-top war whoop.

What game was this?

Sounds like Blood Bros. Do you remember if the main characters do a little jig through the destruction they just wrought at the end of each stage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jimckTm3mo

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The perspective looks about right, but it wasn’t that game for sure. I’m almost certain it was a modern setting, and the Native guy was in fatigues. I think the game scrolled rather than jumping between static levels, too.

I’ve been going through related videos and I don’t think it’s Cabal or Ikari Warriors either.

The sound effect was an enthusiastic A-WHOOPITA-WHOOP-WHOOP-WOOOOOOOOOOO.

e: the sneaker power-up sound effect from Total Carnage sounds suspiciously similar to what I remember, but it would be weird if I confabulated another game out of whole cloth because I played TC all the time.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 21, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

The perspective looks about right, but it wasn’t that game for sure. I’m almost certain it was a modern setting, and the Native guy was in fatigues. I think the game scrolled rather than jumping between static levels, too.

I’ve been going through related videos and I don’t think it’s Cabal or Ikari Warriors either.

The sound effect was an enthusiastic A-WHOOPITA-WHOOP-WHOOP-WOOOOOOOOOOO.

e: the sneaker power-up sound effect from Total Carnage sounds suspiciously similar to what I remember, but it would be weird if I confabulated another game out of whole cloth because I played TC all the time.

Hmm. Maybe Shock Troopers. There's a Native American type character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYHBAqANDc

There's multiple characters but he isn't shown here but maybe the visuals will jostle a memory loose.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I saw this game on Steam but forgot to wishlist it. Came out earlier this year, or at least I first saw it come across my recommends earlier this year. It was a top down, kind of isometric shooter not dissimilar to Ruiner but instead of an 80s aesthetic it was more dark and industrial cyberpunk. I believe the main character was a cybernetic or fully armored woman shooting what looked like heavily armored SWAT guys. The names, setting, and visual style makes me believe it's an Eastern European game and setting. Very bloody and violent. Has a weird name that I would never be able to search like "Gorky" or something (no, it's not the actual game Gorky, it's just a name you would never think to search of)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Ubermosh maybe? Never played it, but sounds vaguely similar to screens I saw.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Maybe Jydge?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neither of those. The major things I remember from the trailer is that it's definitely 3D, dark graphics, some kind of dystopian/industrial setting, aesthetically very similar to Hatred in appearance and gameplay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

Neither of those. The major things I remember from the trailer is that it's definitely 3D, dark graphics, some kind of dystopian/industrial setting, aesthetically very similar to Hatred in appearance and gameplay.

EDIT: Whoops, misread your post:
Neon Chrome?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 27, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Synthetik would also be a not-quite-perfect fit game.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

nex machina?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

None of those. Hopefully it shows up in my recs again.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

None of those. Hopefully it shows up in my recs again.

Your description sounds like Bombshell but the enemies are more alien than heavily armed SWAT guys.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353190/Bombshell/

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

also sounds a bit like Dex or RONIN but they're sidescrollers

Trabandiumium fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 28, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Out of curiosity, I ran through Steam's list of isometric shooters and nothing really matching his description popped up on the list (at least regarding games that have come out in the last 12-18 months). I'm genuinely curious about what game this is, at this point.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Hmm. Maybe Shock Troopers. There's a Native American type character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYHBAqANDc

There's multiple characters but he isn't shown here but maybe the visuals will jostle a memory loose.

It isn’t this one either, unfortunately.

A somewhat easier one: A 16- or 32-bit JRPG where a routine burglary of a mayor’s house goes sideways when he turns out to be a demon.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I’m pretty sure that happens in Final Fantasy VIII. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were plenty of other JRPG demon mayors, though, that definitely seems like it could be A Thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The more I think about it the less I believe it's an isometric shooter. Looking at All Walls Must Fall triggered some extant memories and I remember Steam saying "Because you liked Frozen Synapse" so maybe it was a real-time/turn-based tactical game? It definitely 100% was top down, with riot gear enemies in an darkish vaguely Eastern European urban setting and the juxtaposition of blue and gray textures with dark red blood stood out.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

I’m pretty sure that happens in Final Fantasy VIII. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were plenty of other JRPG demon mayors, though, that definitely seems like it could be A Thing.

It was sprite-based for sure. I think it was also a really unexpected event, like it kicks off or is a big twist in the main plot?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Lazyhound posted:

A somewhat easier one: A 16- or 32-bit JRPG where a routine burglary of a mayor’s house goes sideways when he turns out to be a demon.

Breath of Fire 2 has you burgle into the richest man in the starter town, who turns out to be a weird demon with a creepy dungeon.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

Breath of Fire 2 has you burgle into the richest man in the starter town, who turns out to be a weird demon with a creepy dungeon.

The graphics don’t match up with my memory, but i’ve definitely played BoFII so that’s probably where I got it from, thanks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lazyhound posted:

It isn’t this one either, unfortunately.

Breath of Fire 3 :unsmigghh:

No, seriously! The game starts off where you're bandits and you steal from the mayor, and when you go into his house it's full of the ghosts of his ancestors. After you escape with the things you stole, some black marketeers burn down your house and try to kidnap you.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

al-azad posted:

The more I think about it the less I believe it's an isometric shooter. Looking at All Walls Must Fall triggered some extant memories and I remember Steam saying "Because you liked Frozen Synapse" so maybe it was a real-time/turn-based tactical game? It definitely 100% was top down, with riot gear enemies in an darkish vaguely Eastern European urban setting and the juxtaposition of blue and gray textures with dark red blood stood out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/546900/Fear_Effect_Sedna/ barely kind of fits

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

1) A game which I always thought was Wasteland 1 - EGA or early VGA, top down graphics, I think some kind of post apocalyptic mainly action/some rpg with guns and mutants.

2) Not a specific game but wondering if there are any arcadey driving games that a toddler could use an old usb steering wheel for - simple enough that turning all the way left will just end up on the left side of the road sort of thing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

1) A game which I always thought was Wasteland 1 - EGA or early VGA, top down graphics, I think some kind of post apocalyptic mainly action/some rpg with guns and mutants.

There was a mediocre and poorly-marketed spiritual successor to Wasteland called Fountain of Dreams. If there were a bunch of clown enemies, that might be it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

2) Not a specific game but wondering if there are any arcadey driving games that a toddler could use an old usb steering wheel for - simple enough that turning all the way left will just end up on the left side of the road sort of thing.

Nothing comes immediately to mind, but you might have better luck in the game recommendations thread.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And if you're going to have a toddler using a driving wheel, remember to turn off force feedback. The force on those wheels isn't much to a full size person, but it'll probably gently caress up a toddler's joints right quick.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

For the first I don't think it was Fountain of Dreams, but thanks.

And I'll check out the recommendations thread for drivey games (with any force feedback off) so thanks also.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chubby Henparty posted:

How about Bad Blood? Fits all your criteria

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think that must be it, thanks! Wow its a Chris Roberts game, nice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think that must be it, thanks! Wow its a Chris Roberts game, nice.

Yeah it was apparently the game he did just before Wing Commander. Looks kinda cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking for an 80's DOS program that was either a lovely game or some sort of demo or screensaver. It's just a fish tank with saltwater or tropical fish in it. I recall being able to choose the number of fish or something but nothing else. I suspect it may have just been an early screensaver.