Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Shneak posted:

do you know what a Stakataka is?

I don't believe any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

those new pokemons look ok but no way I'm paying 60bux for Pokemon Go Deluxe Edition, kind of way too much

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no way the LGP/E games end up playing much like the original games, right? Battling wild pokemon is like 80% of the game at least.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bango skank posted:

There's no way the LGP/E games end up playing much like the original games, right? Battling wild pokemon is like 80% of the game at least.

no, which is why they immediately reassured us a core game is coming next year

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bango skank posted:

You don't battle with wild pokemon. You walk into them and throw a pokeball ala Pokemon Go. Battles are versus trainer only. Next gen Pokemon game is next year.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

no, which is why they immediately reassured us a core game is coming next year

"immediately" = "prefaced the Let's Go announcement with a reassurance that that's the case because they knew the rabid fans who care enough to watch live were going to rage"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Hyrule Warriors question: If there's an A rank for a specific character and I can choose two for the map, can I just clear the map with an easier/stronger character and still get the A rank for the other?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

^^^ yes

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"immediately" = "prefaced the Let's Go announcement with a reassurance that that's the case because they knew the rabid fans who care enough to watch live were going to rage"

sorry for having the timeline of a few hours ago slightly wrong

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dizz posted:

Hyrule Warriors question: If there's an A rank for a specific character and I can choose two for the map, can I just clear the map with an easier/stronger character and still get the A rank for the other?

Yes and it's very abusable in co-op.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's disappointing but eh, I guess they release tonnes of lovely pokemon spin-offs I don't even notice.
I just was kinda hoping this one would be good, I'd even take a low effort yellow remake but it's just gonna be another bad spin-off but with the switch tax attached.

I think they're misunderstanding that pokemon go was so popular cause it's free and on your phone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

The announced a new mainline game on switch in the later half of 2019. Let's Go is a spinoff.

Waffles Inc. posted:

this tweet, mostly

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because they wouldn't announce this if it was just Let's Go Pikachu 2

Ah, okay, I missed all of that apparently! That's good, then. I'm happier with Let's Go if it's just a fun spin-off. I like the idea of a Pokemon game with couch co-op even if it's not a full-fledged Pokemon, and I like it a lot more if I know there's something bigger coming later.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

^^^ yes

sorry for having the timeline of a few hours ago slightly wrong

HOW DARE YOU

no idc i just thought the timing on the official pokemon twitter was funny as hell because of it, like "okay all you people f5ing calm down this isn't for you anyways"

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Here's a decent write-up of what Lets Go! is going to be.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...pokemon-go.aspx

Seems more to bring younger kids and Go players into the console games.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Pokemon Quest is pretty boring. :/ Something to note though, if you go to the quests menu and then to the challenges sub-menu, there are challenges for running teams all of one type, including types that aren't in the gen 1 games like steel, but more notably fairy. I'm pretty sure Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, and uh...Kirby are all retroactively fairy type but I'm not sure how theyre represented here

edit: Of Clefairy and Clefable, those are the other ones

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I should probably stop playing the octopath demo and buy the game on release. I put 2 hours already playing as the dancer and still have the warrior to try.

I rarely play JRPG games but this one is easy, fun, and charming enough for me to sink time in. I guess cause it reminds me of the only other JRPG I have enjoyed; Chrono Trigger.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the idea of younger kids needing an intro game to get into mainline pokemon games sounds weird to me when pokemon red/blue was one of the first video games i ever owned

but the pokemon company usually seems to know what they're doing so they're probably right and i'm probably wrong

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brother Entropy posted:

the idea of younger kids needing an intro game to get into mainline pokemon games sounds weird to me when pokemon red/blue was one of the first video games i ever owned

but the pokemon company usually seems to know what they're doing so they're probably right and i'm probably wrong

the newer Pokemon games have a billion loving systems, they're way more needlessly complex now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pokémon Quest is a completely nothing game. It makes the Rumble games look like they have a ton of depth. It’s cute but shouldn’t be on Switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

From what I've seen and read, I think it's highly likely that Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee isn't the game that they teased last E3. Really it seems like an adaptation of Pokemon Go into a console format, which I'm honestly kind of down for. There's apparently a new accessory launching with it, which I'm guessing is an updated Pokewaker, perhaps allowing you to find/catch Pokemon when you're away from your Switch.

Well I was pretty loving close with my predictions for once!

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Brother Entropy posted:

Red and Blue don't appeal to kids anymore. Even Fire Red and Leaf Green are outdated.

Red and Blue are still my favs, though.
Still got my OG blue with Mew on it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

the newer Pokemon games have a billion loving systems, they're way more needlessly complex now

But also braindead easy. Both X&Y and Sun & Moon despite having all that extra stuff are by far the easiest games in the core series

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

Probably a non-insignificant number of really little kids were introduced to Pokemon by playing Go on their parents' phones, which is part of the reason I bet the game has co-op.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah but most of those systems are optional and the modern games tutorialize like crazy

kids who played pokemon go as their intro to pokemon is a good point i hadn't considered tho

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hopeandjoy posted:

Probably a non-insignificant number of really little kids were introduced to Pokemon by playing Go on their parents' phones, which is part of the reason I bet the game has co-op.

Also it’ll be cool for families with multiple kids. They won’t need separate consoles and games to play.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I dunno, Go Eevee might be pretty neat. Honestly my sister still plays go and has a Switch so it'll be right up her alley. Depending on how it plays it may be up mine too

edit: I wiped literally once playing through X&Y, and it was because I got cocky and was intentionally making bad picks fighting the league champ. It's a seriously easy game

edit: Here's a thought- they might literally put Fire Emblem Heroes on the Switch if they officially announce a new Fire Emblem at e3

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 30, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Pokemon designer: federation force

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

The most complex thing you maybe have to care about is which atk/def stat moves work off of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I expected nothing from this announcement and thats what i got. A+ presentation

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really don’t get why the internet is flipping over tables about LGP/E, has everyone forgotten that Gamefreak does simpler, kid-friendly spinoff games? Was everyone getting this pissed off about frigging Pokémon Rumble?

If they hadn’t already mentioned that a main series game was coming last E3 (and reconfirmed said game today) then, yeah, I could see people getting concerned.

But this is pretty obviously an attempt to translate Pokémon Go’s success into Switch sales, introduce the series to a younger audience, and of course sell games to Pokémon fans who don’t mind a slightly different experience. poo poo, it’s not even like it’s delaying the next main line game, there’s always 2-3 years between gens.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apropos of nothing I just wanna remind people that there was a Pokemon game about watching TV. like literally shopping network and quiz show stuff

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

IVs and EVs were always there, just completely obfuscated and mostly invisible until Gen 7 and 6 respectively

What else got added, held items and abilities? The real bugbear is the 802+ list of things needed to actually catch 'em all, imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Motto posted:

Apropos of nothing I just wanna remind people that there was a Pokemon game about watching TV. like literally shopping network and quiz show stuff

Hey you, Pikachu is a game I still dont understand but its existence probably led to Detective Pikachu

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

lelandjs posted:

I really don’t get why the internet is flipping over tables about LGP/E, has everyone forgotten that Gamefreak does simpler, kid-friendly spinoff games? Was everyone getting this pissed off about frigging Pokémon Rumble?

If they hadn’t already mentioned that a main series game was coming last E3 (and reconfirmed said game today) then, yeah, I could see people getting concerned.

But this is pretty obviously an attempt to translate Pokémon Go’s success into Switch sales, introduce the series to a younger audience, and of course sell games to Pokémon fans who don’t mind a slightly different experience. poo poo, it’s not even like it’s delaying the next main line game, there’s always 2-3 years between gens.

I think the leaks and talk of "remakes" had people expecting a surprise early drop on the core game is all. If the leaks were "spinoff go for the switch" this would have been completely ignored

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
They just want the next gen game now and were kinda expecting LGP/E to be a more mainline experience.

I wonder how leveling works. I know you don't battle wild pokemon, so do you grind it out at the gym instead? I can totally understand wanting to reduce the grind but... that's kind of a big part of what pokemon is soooo

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE loving MOON posted:

They just want the next gen game now and were kinda expecting LGP/E to be a more mainline experience.

I wonder how leveling works. I know you don't battle wild pokemon, so do you grind it out at the gym instead? I can totally understand wanting to reduce the grind but... that's kind of a big part of what pokemon is soooo

You level by capturing wild pokemon and rendering them down into a slurry to produce candy to feed to the ones you want to keep.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

bango skank posted:

You level by capturing wild pokemon and rendering them down into a slurry to produce candy to feed to the ones you want to keep.

Well that's how it works in Go, yeah. I hope that doesn't carry over to the new games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

THE loving MOON posted:

Well that's how it works in Go, yeah. I hope that doesn't carry over to the new games.

It's most likely going to be a thing in LG:P/LG:E I bet. Everything about it seems like it's a fancy Pokemon Go on the outset.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah considering you can transfer mons to and from GO I imagine they're going to have the same lovely levelling system

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zore posted:

Yeah considering you can transfer mons to and from GO I imagine they're going to have the same lovely levelling system

It seems like you have to recatch them after bringing them into Lets Go so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
looks bad

• Locked thread