Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hooah posted:

I have an Android Auto head unit and a 1st-gen Pixel. Most of the time, I'm listening to a podcast with PocketCasts. If I get a notification, particularly an email, it'll just stop the playback without resuming. I've tested with just PocketCasts and with stand-alone Android Auto and it doesn't happen in either of those two cases. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening? Or is this just another case of "lol Google"?

It's defined in the code of the player, so if you don't have a setting for it, you can't change it. I have a music player called Rocket Player, the dev is one of those "everything must be optional"-guys. You can choose, among other things, if the audio should duck or pause on temporarily lost audio focus. So another podcast app might be worth trying.

A thing that might work though, put the phone on silent. It should suppress notifications, it'll be less annoying and a safer drive.

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I miss replaceable batteries. Acubattery tells me my phone is down 26% capacity after 18 months, and replacing the battery is a Bitch. It basically forces you to buy a new phone even if you don't need too.

I also miss a sliding keyboard and gestures... OK my dream phone is just a big Palm Pre with the Android store. A man can dream. Also I wouldn't buy a phone without a headphone jack either. Well, good day.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Except I want it to pause, otherwise I'll lose some of the podcast. It's just that it should be resuming after the notification sound plays. But it doesn't.

I've had that problem before and it always seemed to be an issue with the music app itself. I find when both a notification and the music/podcast play at the same time at the same volume that I don't really miss anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

am i the only one who doesnt care about a notch?

Give it to me or not, it's like way down on the list of things I will care about whether a phone has or not.

Like others said, it's dumb. I'm sure in practice it will be fine or whatever but it's an unnecessary fad to follow and it's irritating that minor compromises have to be made in the pursuit. There's something to be said for good design and compromises for the sake of fad chasing is not the way to get there.

syscall girl posted:

I keep asking this and getting increasingly stupid answers so I stopped.

Would someone please build a phone with RCA outputs though, my television is quite old and I don't think chromecast works all that well besides

I LOL'd.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

I miss replaceable batteries. Acubattery tells me my phone is down 26% capacity after 18 months, and replacing the battery is a Bitch. It basically forces you to buy a new phone even if you don't need too.

I also miss a sliding keyboard and gestures... OK my dream phone is just a big Palm Pre with the Android store. A man can dream. Also I wouldn't buy a phone without a headphone jack either. Well, good day.

Nah I'm with you. I would love a phone like that. But since I know there will never be another non-Blackberry Android phone with a keyboard, I try to keep my dreams a little more realistic. My (reasonable) dream phone would be 4.3" with a good battery, decent storage, and decent specs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

What phone do you have where it's down 26% in a year and a half? I used Accubattery on my Pixel 1 and it was at 96% after a year

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nah I'm with you. I would love a phone like that. But since I know there will never be another non-Blackberry Android phone with a keyboard, I try to keep my dreams a little more realistic. My (reasonable) dream phone would be 4.3" with a good battery, decent storage, and decent specs.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keyboard-mod-a-physical-keyboard-for-the-moto-z#/comments

Currently shipping to backers, apparently Lenovo/Moto had a big shakeup in the mods division which slowed things down but it should eventually get into the store along with the rest of the Moto Mods.

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

OK my dream phone is just a big Palm Pre with the Android store

And here I thought I was the only one :shobon:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The happiest notch.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

If it's possible it'll be something like

mount –t smbfs 192.168.0.1:/share1 /mnt -o username=surendra,workgroup=test

just change /mnt to whatever directory you want to access it from, share1 will be whatever the path on the smb server is. IP username and workgroup need to be changed to your information

OK just a small update but this didn't work, no matter what combination of my settings I tried. It seems to be a common error because cifs support has to be enabled or something? Is there any way to do that?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

do u know jenny posted:

OK just a small update but this didn't work, no matter what combination of my settings I tried. It seems to be a common error because cifs support has to be enabled or something? Is there any way to do that?

This post and the linked post within talk about using debuggered and busybox to get cifs working but I have no idea if it will still work, as you mentioned since 4.4.2 cifs is no supported and this post is attempting to get around it but also years old

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=50440554&postcount=9

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

What phone do you have where it's down 26% in a year and a half? I used Accubattery on my Pixel 1 and it was at 96% after a year

"OP5, so what?"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alan_Shore posted:

A friendly reminder that the Axon 7 owns and is incredible value.

Except the battery it seems

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, here's an interesting wrinkle. Moto might be developing more Android One handsets. This one may be more of a mid to upper ranger.

https://9to5google.com/2018/05/29/motorola-one-power-leak/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

"OP5, so what?"

lol one plus five still equals a deuce

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Well, here's an interesting wrinkle. Moto might be developing more Android One handsets. This one may be more of a mid to upper ranger.

https://9to5google.com/2018/05/29/motorola-one-power-leak/

Assuming that "Motorola One" isn't honesty about the number of updates it will get, it'll be worth a look, certainly.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
My Moto Z2 Force will do this annoying thing where Spotify will pop up for no reason. Had it do it during mobile games, reading Twitter. Can't tell what is triggering it. Spotify isn't running anywhere else.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I got my sister who's on AT&T a T-Mobile version of the Z2 Force because her Droid Turbo 2 stopped charging. I was told I could get an unlock code. We called customer service and got one however it still has not shown up in her inbox two days later.

What should I do?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

So I got my sister who's on AT&T a T-Mobile version of the Z2 Force because her Droid Turbo 2 stopped charging. I was told I could get an unlock code. We called customer service and got one however it still has not shown up in her inbox two days later.

What should I do?

Call them again

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wasabi the J posted:

What should I do?

Return it and get a pixel 3

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Except the battery it seems

Haha basically. I mean $300 is drat good value, so it doesn't sting so bad. I live in a hot country, maybe that borked the battery, or maybe I got unlucky. I heard iPhone lose quite a bit of capacity a year too. I just miss the old Samsung days when you could buy a new battery and slap it in (or buy a ridiculously huge zerolemon battery that lasted 3 days)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also sorry not posting this on the right thread, totally spaced.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

What should I do?

T-Mobile has a database backend, once it's marked as paid off in their system you just run the unlock app on the device

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
On my fourth headphone dongle for the Pixel 2XL. I am seriously considering going back to Samsung after denouncing them when I switched from a Galaxy 6 to Pixel 1.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

usb c is a shitshow and reviews talking about microusb being outdated deprecated legacy etc are crazy. p much every device I have that isn't a phone has microusb (my phone has it too :smug:)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

usb c is a shitshow and reviews talking about microusb being outdated deprecated legacy etc are crazy. p much every device I have that isn't a phone has microusb (my phone has it too :smug:)

MicroUSB is trash and thank god it's gone.

Also USBC is trash and I can't wait for it to die too.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

make everything rj11 imo and use the extra space for fatty battery capacity

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

And before you say oh it won't charge let me just say 6p4c

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What's wrong with USB C? I'm still on my first four cables (C-C on night stand and in car, A-C at home and work desks) without any glitches. Even when I sprang for nicer micro USB cables, they had to be replaced more frequently than once a year.

Also, I never have to try a second or third time to plug it in. I wish all my devices were type C.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seriously though, microUSB is just horrible and I'm so glad I'm down to one device which uses it and never needs the cable removed for any reason.

That said, USB-C hasn't been the panacea it could be though for sure. On my MacBook Pro both ports are so loose the cable just falls out yet the same cable is tight as can be in my Pixel or my Switch Pro Controller. That's good because they're completely unreplaceable and if they break that means the computer is also worthless. (And let's be real, who can reasonably expect a port on a computer to last more than six months if you're only paying $1500?)

At least I can rest assured that maybe the chargers won't burn down my house. Maybe.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

And let's be real, who can reasonably expect a port on a computer to last more than six months if you're only paying $1500?

Teehee

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

LastInLine posted:

Seriously though, microUSB is just horrible and I'm so glad I'm down to one device which uses it and never needs the cable removed for any reason.

That said, USB-C hasn't been the panacea it could be though for sure. On my MacBook Pro both ports are so loose the cable just falls out yet the same cable is tight as can be in my Pixel or my Switch Pro Controller. That's good because they're completely unreplaceable and if they break that means the computer is also worthless. (And let's be real, who can reasonably expect a port on a computer to last more than six months if you're only paying $1500?)

At least I can rest assured that maybe the chargers won't burn down my house. Maybe.

What you do is buy some 3" F-M type C dongles and make them fit in the laptop with some glue probably. Then when the port wears out it's just a dongle and some glue you need to replace on your $1500 laptop.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Christ you people act like your mother beat you every time you tried to plug in a micro-USB cable upside down.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Christ you people act like your mother beat you every time you tried to plug in a micro-USB cable upside down.

:ohdear:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

grack posted:

For me it's the combination of plugging it in the wrong way plus broken plugs. It's a double whammy of suck.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Buy a china magsafe adapter and enjoy the freedom of plugging it in either way

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm pretty sure the macbook usb-c Port is supposed to be loose as a lovely replacement for magsafe

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rastor posted:

T-Mobile has a database backend, once it's marked as paid off in their system you just run the unlock app on the device

I cannot find the app anywhere aside from a shady rear end app site.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

logikv9 posted:

I'm pretty sure the macbook usb-c Port is supposed to be loose as a lovely replacement for magsafe

It's gotten way looser since purchase. I'm not exaggerating when I say the weight of the cable is more than enough to pull it out on it's own just sitting on a table. I'd write Apple a complaint but it's a MacBook Pro so the keyboard isn't reliable enough to register keypresses.

It's pretty amazing how much worse it is in every way from the 2011 MacBook Air it replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I finally installed Oreo 8.0 on my phone and after I installed the update it cleared up about 8 GB of space on my phone. What happened?