Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of weird that Kara and Mon El didn't propose any solution to Argo's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everything about the reveal of Argo felt low stakes and weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know this is just a me thing but I can't get over the recasting. So every time Kara's mom talks about doing stuff previously all I can think of is "that wasn't you."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

It feels like it's pretty much a setup for a hook for future seasons incase other writers want to use it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

howe_sam posted:

Braniac's gonna come back from the wormhole and stick it in a jar for Kara's living room.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo that is pro tier trolling from Reign. "Yo, you gonna kill me or what? ... lol made you try to kill me, owned"

Bruceski posted:

Braniac's gonna come back from the wormhole and stick it in a jar for Kara's living room.

Aw that's sweet :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
We've needed a new thread title for a while now. Maybe we could have "Make It Reign" for a week or so :shrug:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I know this is just a me thing but I can't get over the recasting. So every time Kara's mom talks about doing stuff previously all I can think of is "that wasn't you."

In retrospect, Dana Delany was probably the more age appropriate choice if they wanted to stick with former Lois Lanes.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I really can't believe that Argo turned out to actually be a piece of Krypton, and that Kara's mother is actually still alive there. That feels like it should be a huge, huge deal, but everyone was just kind of taking everything in stride, to the point where I was sure it would turn out to be a trick of some kind. But nope, there's just a whole bunch of Kryptonians still alive out there. I wonder if Kara will even think to tell Clark.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Funny how so many "last of their kind" end up being not remotely the last of their kind. It feels like they're pushing it a little too far on Supergirl, but oh well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

In retrospect, Dana Delany was probably the more age appropriate choice if they wanted to stick with former Lois Lanes.

Delany is 62. Durance is 40. Benoist is 30. Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone for "years" so it works that they're closer in age.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Aw that's sweet :3:

Then we get an episode where Ruby forgets to poke holes in the lid.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Delany is 62. Durance is 40. Benoist is 30. Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone for "years" so it works that they're closer in age.

Wouldn't that work opposite? Kara's mom should have aged normally, but Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone for 24 years. So Kara should be closer to 45 - 50 years old making Alura like 70ish without any time shenanigans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
D'oh you're right. Maybe Kryptonians age slower? I dunno.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

Yea, I felt like there was going to be some sinister turn or something, but it was just Councilman Tu-Vok being a conservative jerk. Unless the undecided councilwoman was the priestesss?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

D'oh you're right. Maybe Kryptonians age slower? I dunno.

They bathe in their self-righteousness everyday.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Kryptonians are basically Saiyans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tuvok looking old as poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Unless the undecided councilwoman was the priestesss?

She was, which is why her giving them the rock and Reign saying "just in time" for the clash at the end has forebodings.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 30, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

Tuvok looking old as poo poo.

Neelix gonna show up next season to antagonize him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bruceski posted:

She was, which is why her giving them the rock and Reign saying "just in time" for the clash at the end has forebodings.

Her name was also Selena I guess? You know, the evil witch from the Supergirl movie.

Mortanis posted:

Wouldn't that work opposite? Kara's mom should have aged normally, but Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone for 24 years. So Kara should be closer to 45 - 50 years old making Alura like 70ish without any time shenanigans.

Maybe Argo's been traveling at near light speed?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Her name was also Selena I guess? You know, the evil witch from the Supergirl movie.

Ha, I missed that.

I'm not entirely sold Argos is real and not some kind of trick of Selena. I mean, I don't have anything to back that up and you'd think we would have gotten a tease at episodes end. But the whole thing was just off enough to make me feel unsettled on it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Argo City escaping the destruction of Krypton, and one or more of Kara's parents surviving along with it, is such an established piece of Supergirl lore that I can't imagine it's a fake out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the other side of it. Finding lost Kryptonians is such a staple of Superman/Supergirl lore that its possible it just feels unspectacular because there's a lot of Kryptonians around.

"Mom?"
"Kara?"
"I thought you died!"
"I thought you died!"
"I made it to Earth! I'm there with Kal El!"
"Kal El survived!"
"Your sister crashed on Earth too!"
"She lived!"
"So did her husband. And a bunch of other people."
"Wow."
"They died. But there were three more Kryptonians in pods there too!"
"Oh. Wait, is this guy from Daxam?"
"Yeah, we thought he was a Kryptonian for a minute too. It seemed natural at the time."
"Wow, place sounds busy."
"Yeah, my Martian boss tries to keep a handle on it. He's the last surviving of his kind. Except for his dad who we found a year ago. And there was this other one but she was a White Martian. But a good kind."
"Well... we've built an irrigation system..."

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

As soon as Selena was shown and the situation of Argo City was explained, it seemed like the endgame was to have Reign pacify/sterilize Earth so that Argo City could land there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I could be down with them doing a take on the World of Krypton event. But you have to bring Tiny Superman back for that if they do.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Has Kandor ever shown up on this show?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Klungar posted:

Has Kandor ever shown up on this show?

If by this show you mean "Krypton!"

So no.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I assume her plan is to have the rock power up Reign, have Reign destroy all humans, and then have Earth be New Krypton.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's some set photos showing Kara's mom on earth dressed in a El outfit floating around.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I felt like there was going to be some sinister turn or something, but it was just Councilman Tu-Vok being a conservative jerk. Unless the undecided councilwoman was the priestesss?

I assume you missed the last 15 seconds of the show? They literally show her putting on the robe and invoking Reign. Plus the fact that she has been explicitly shown talking to Reign in the old hideout in hologram form and it's been the same actress the whole time - it's not like they have hidden her face.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1420538/?ref_=tt_cl_t13

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah her initial reveal on the council was presented dramatically because we were supposed to recognize her as the priestess.

Ill admit I didn't catch it at first because the priestess never really made an impression on me. I started to wonder as the episode went on and then the ending confirmed it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mr Beens posted:

I assume you missed the last 15 seconds of the show? They literally show her putting on the robe and invoking Reign. Plus the fact that she has been explicitly shown talking to Reign in the old hideout in hologram form and it's been the same actress the whole time - it's not like they have hidden her face.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1420538/?ref_=tt_cl_t13

It was cool to realize that "oh my god, she was a live person communicating in real-time, not just a smart hologram stored in a Kryptonian crystal".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Welp, show's over :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Welp, show's over :v:

I was all "wait what it was cancelled?" before I realized there's an episode tonight. Silly east-coasters.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ahahahahaha, Supergirl doing gun control :allears:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
They should bring Oliver over from Earth 1. He solved gun control already.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I giggle every time they yell "Miss Tessmacher"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am appreciating their commitment to gimmick cape fighting.

howe_sam posted:

Ahahahahaha, Supergirl doing gun control :allears:

Gun control and palliative care / assisted suicide, oh my!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am appreciating their commitment to gimmick cape fighting.

Yeah, they really leaned into the Cape Fighting when Supergirl learned it this season. She's used it almost every episode since and they did a double whammy in Reign's takedown in the beginning of this episode too.