Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

probably $500 MSRP

sadly true :negative:

eh w/e i'll still keep on rocking the 70-200 f/4 non IS that i use maybe twice a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

InternetJunky posted:

I'd love to see what they can add to the f/2.8 model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSV4OteqBE&t=84s

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BetterLekNextTime posted:

probably $500 MSRP

Oops. Totally misread that. :downs:

Do they still make the first gen?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The chatter I saw said the main motivation is to improve resolution for bodies with 50 MP sensors.

Probably gonna cram another ten pounds of glass in there to pull it off too.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Hopefully prices on the current 2.8s will drop enough that I can finally pick one up.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Wow. Canon came so close to making close to my ideal camera in the 5D Mark IV. My 5D3 died last Friday so I had to rent a body for the next weekend's wedding, and figured I'd try out the 4. The focus system is great, and the live view focusing is unreal. The bump is resolution, the improvements to the senor, and the incremental upgrades to frame rate and autofocus are so welcome, but then they go and cock up the 4K video capture completely with this motion JPG nonsense, and couldn't (or wouldn't) squeeze in 120fps for the 1080p capture. It's still a hell of a camera.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm really glad I don't shoot video cause reading about all these arbitrary limitations they impose on their dslr line seems pretty frustrating.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm really glad I don't shoot video cause reading about all these arbitrary limitations they impose on their dslr line seems pretty frustrating.

Same here. It absolutely sounds frustrating.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
magic lantern?”

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

suck my woke dick posted:

magic lantern?”
Does magic lantern allow the 5d4 to record in a different video format?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

Does magic lantern allow the 5d4 to record in a different video format?

Well it's magic innit

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There only appears to be a ROM dumper for the 5D Mark IV, there's no developer working on a port, only one I see that comes close is a build for the Mark III.

A recent development: ML hackers have managed to overclock the DIGIC 5 in the original EOS M so that it can capture 2.5K video:

https://www.canonwatch.com/the-original-canon-eos-m-can-shoot-2-5k-raw-video-with-magic-lantern-and-its-impressing/

It's 2520 * 1080 video, 24 fps, 12-bit lossless compressed RAW; not bad for a 5 year old camera. Pretty sure it mangles the battery and they warn the experimental build could wreck your EOS M, but it's pretty far out of warranty anyways.

Meanwhile, still poking along with the EOS M50; it's not a bad upgrade if you're an original EOS M owner, the built in flash is handy and a lot better to deal with than the dedicated SpeedLite 90 they used to sell with some Ms.

Here's something I shot in Program Mode:

Trimmed down from the original 4000*6000 resolution; I'll try to post at original res if there's demand.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, just found out Canon dropped the retail price of the EOS M50 by $150, which means you can now get the basic kit (camera body + 15-45mm STM lens) on Amazon for only $699 instead of $899.

Sure wish they'd done that a month ago, but I don't mind, needed it for a twice-in-a-lifetime event anyway.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

A recent development: ML hackers have managed to overclock the DIGIC 5 in the original EOS M so that it can capture 2.5K video:

https://www.canonwatch.com/the-original-canon-eos-m-can-shoot-2-5k-raw-video-with-magic-lantern-and-its-impressing/

It's 2520 * 1080 video, 24 fps, 12-bit lossless compressed RAW; not bad for a 5 year old camera. Pretty sure it mangles the battery and they warn the experimental build could wreck your EOS M, but it's pretty far out of warranty anyways.

poo poo I might just have to try this. I have an original M that I haven't touched for at least a couple of years. I got a scope adapter figuring maybe I'd use it for digiscoping but I never remember to bring it out with me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking of EOS 5Ds, here's what happened to one that got a little too close to a rocket launch...

https://twitter.com/PeterKingCBS/status/999085583271170048

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of EOS 5Ds, here's what happened to one that got a little too close to a rocket launch...

https://twitter.com/PeterKingCBS/status/999085583271170048

not too close to the rocket launch - it was about 1/4 mile away from the launchpad - but too close to the brushfire sparked by the rocket launch.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

The cinema line is just as bad. Still looking for a decent replacement for my C100 (with video features you'd find in a goddamn mirrorless camera) and the C200 just isn't it.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I didn't have my peak design camera clip locked this weekend while shooting a wedding. As a result my grey market Tamron 15-30 took a spill. I understand Tamron USA won't touch grey market lenses, is there a 3rd party that might that anyone could recommend? T
It focuses fine, but the zoom ring is now stuff, and I can't tell if the VC is working.

Thanks in advance

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I dun hosed up and bought my :siren: girlfriend:siren: and myself a t6 (not the t6i) off Woot for ~370 bucks. I'm excited to dip my toes in the world of photography.

I hate pictures of people, so I'm going to be looking for stills or hunting down critters (critter thread, here I come).

Are there any glaring, obvious, and immediate issues/faux pas that I should consider when posting on this forum or in dickin' about and taking pics in general? I'm very new.

Thanks!

Also, any tips/tricks for the t6 from present owners would be lovely. I know it's a intro-level camera so you might have moved beyond it, but I'm excited for my new toy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, just post pictures. If they're bad people will tell you, if they're good they'll probably not say anything. If they're really good you'll hear about it.

The t6 isn't great in terms of what is available now, but it would have been a pretty good body 10 years ago and lots of great pictures were taken back then so don't go into it thinking it'll prevent you from taking good pictures.

Start reading up on lenses as from this point it's by far the best way to improve your creative options. If you want to shoot wildlife you'll want to start figuring out how to get beyond 300mm so you're gonna have to decide how much you want to invest in it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

xzzy posted:

Nah, just post pictures. If they're bad people will tell you, if they're good they'll probably not say anything. If they're really good you'll hear about it.

The t6 isn't great in terms of what is available now, but it would have been a pretty good body 10 years ago and lots of great pictures were taken back then so don't go into it thinking it'll prevent you from taking good pictures.

Start reading up on lenses as from this point it's by far the best way to improve your creative options. If you want to shoot wildlife you'll want to start figuring out how to get beyond 300mm so you're gonna have to decide how much you want to invest in it.

I'm going cheap'n easy for now until I've got some experience. Buying lenses is out of the question, I've seen some prices and I've got a wedding to pay for in 3 weeks.
I will not be taking my own wedding pictures.

I'm not super worried about good/bad pictures. That's all learning curve stuff. Most of my subjects will be inconsequential and I"m not at all interested in trying to side-hustle this.

I appreciate that feedback. Now I've got to go learn a bunch of poo poo before it arrives (6/1). These new acronyms are beating me up already.

Well, looks like the Rebel T6 is also the D3000. The more you know...
Correction: 1300D, not D3000. :downs:

vvvvvThanks!vvvvvv

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 30, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Are there any glaring, obvious, and immediate issues/faux pas that I should consider when posting on this forum or in dickin' about and taking pics in general? I'm very new.

If you hang out in the bird thread people are pretty chill as long as you're humble and not a dick. I'm a noob and I've found the posters there to be welcoming and constructive.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

All the threads here are pretty chill and everyone's open to giving advice. The only one that has specific rules is the photo a day thread, but hardly anyone uses that anymore tbh.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just be open to critique and even if you disagree, try to understand where someone is coming from. Try to avoid getting defensive/taking it personal. The goal is to improve from where you are now and most people are just trying to help.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

All the threads here are pretty chill and everyone's open to giving advice. The only one that has specific rules is the photo a day thread, but hardly anyone uses that anymore tbh.

In general I agree, but I did see some pretty vicious poo poo in the time lapse thread. I'm not a regular there though, so I think there was some history I was missing...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sharks only show up when someone gets uppity and they smell blood. Be chill and everyone else is chill too.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Never look the thread in the eyes. Got it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Never look the thread in the eyes. Got it.

Basically. Critiques are how to get better, not attacks on your work, ability, or personality. Take lots of photos, take lots of bad ones. You learn through mistakes more so than successes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm going cheap'n easy for now until I've got some experience. Buying lenses is out of the question, I've seen some prices and I've got a wedding to pay for in 3 weeks.
I will not be taking my own wedding pictures.

I'm not super worried about good/bad pictures. That's all learning curve stuff. Most of my subjects will be inconsequential and I"m not at all interested in trying to side-hustle this.

I appreciate that feedback. Now I've got to go learn a bunch of poo poo before it arrives (6/1). These new acronyms are beating me up already.

Well, looks like the Rebel T6 is also the D3000. The more you know...
Correction: 1300D, not D3000. :downs:

vvvvvThanks!vvvvvv

Canon is a pretty good system to start out in because you can get some pretty decent used starter lenses for almost nothing. The 55-250mm STM is amazing if you need some range and you can find it for a little over $100.

Enjoy your camera and just shoot, shoot, shoot!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Thanks for the encouragement, team. I appreciate it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Got a used 7D from KEH back in late March. Had around 17,000 shutter actuations. USB port crapped out a few weeks back, so they let me exchange it, no hassle whatsoever. The replacement one only has 6,000 clicks on it to boot! Good experience overall.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thanks for the encouragement, team. I appreciate it.

What lens(es) are coming with your camera? Once you start taking photos, keep a loose mental note on what focal length (level of zoom, you can see the markings on zoom lenses) you use and like using the best. I’m going to guess you have a 18-55 basic “kit” lens, which is fine - but the best way to recommend any lenses to step up too (even cheap ones) will be based on what you use a lot and what you want to photograph.

Also, don’t be afraid to go into the manual modes, especially full :black101: Manual mode. You pick it up quickly, and so much cheaper with digital than film!! :downs:

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Keep checking out Canon's refurbished lens selection:
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

You can snag some pretty good deals when they have sales on, especially around holidays. I got the 40mm f/2.8, the 24mm f/2.8, the 50mm f/1.8, and the 55-250mm STM all from that website at various times for like $100 a piece, and between those and the kit lens, I feel I have most of my learning bases covered for cheap!

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 31, 2018

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Viper915 posted:

Keep checking out Canon's refurbished lens selection:
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

You can snag some pretty good deals when they have sales on, especially around holidays. I got the 40mm f/2.8, the 24mm f/2.8, the 50mm f/1.8, and the 55-250mm STM all from that website at various times for like $100 a piece, and between those and the kit lens, I feel I have most of my learning bases covered for cheap!

Solid advice! Thanks, I'll also send this to my actual photographer friend. I'm sure she'll make use of it.

harperdc posted:

What lens(es) are coming with your camera? Once you start taking photos, keep a loose mental note on what focal length (level of zoom, you can see the markings on zoom lenses) you use and like using the best. I’m going to guess you have a 18-55 basic “kit” lens, which is fine - but the best way to recommend any lenses to step up too (even cheap ones) will be based on what you use a lot and what you want to photograph.

Also, don’t be afraid to go into the manual modes, especially full :black101: Manual mode. You pick it up quickly, and so much cheaper with digital than film!! :downs:

I'm very much interested in figuring out Manual mode. I feel there's nothing I can really gently caress up on it (for the most part). The camera arrives tomorrow and I'm working from home that day, so you can bet your rear end I'll be messing around with it. I did get the 18-55mm kit lens.

Does anyone have a quick breakdown of what these measurements mean?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

18-55mm focal length is a handy general purpose lens. Goes from pretty wide angle to somewhat zoomed in. For reference, zooming to 24mm or so will get you an approximation of your typical human field of view.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

President Beep posted:

18-55mm focal length is a handy general purpose lens. Goes from pretty wide angle to somewhat zoomed in. For reference, zooming to 24mm or so will get you an approximation of your typical human field of view.

It's a FOV measurement? So that's the range of FOV... ok, sure, seems like degrees might make more sense in that regard. Is there something else to it?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

seems like degrees might make more sense in that regard.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. You seem to grock this.

NB: I'm still a neophyte as well, so others here can likely explain things much more intuitively.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 31, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's a FOV measurement? So that's the range of FOV... ok, sure, seems like degrees might make more sense in that regard. Is there something else to it?

The mm rating of a lens isn’t the literal measurement of the FOV like how a degree measurement is in games. A better way to think of the mm rating isn’t in FOV, but rather in how zoomed-in the lens is, with larger numbers being more zoomed. For example, a 30mm lens will be much more zoomed-out compared to a 300mm lens. You could say this also means it has a larger FOV, but it doesn’t come with the same distortion that adjusting an FOV slider in a game does. It DOES cause some distortion, but it’s a bit different compared to games.

Your lens is 18-55mm, which means you can change the focal length from anywhere from 18mm to 55m. So if you want to get a subject to appear larger in frame, you can either zoom in to it by adjusting the mm on the lens to be larger, or you can physically move closer to it. Why move closer instead of just zooming? Because the smaller mm rating will have more of a fisheye effect to it when you’re up close, resulting in a different looking image compared to just enlarging it via a larger focal length. Conversely, zooming in will cause your subjects to appear more flat.

Here’s a good example of how zooming in by adjusting the focal length can change how the same objects appear, while keeping the objects the same size in the frame by physically moving the camera closer / father away:

As for what the actual millimeters mean, they’re a measurement of the distance from the point of convergence in your lens to the sensor (or film) in your camera. So when your lens is set to 18mm, the point of convergence (where the incoming light flips through the lens) is 18mm away from your cameras light sensor. When you then change it to 55mm, you are physically moving the lens farther from your sensor.

Note: I’m pretty new to photography as well, this is just my understanding of everything. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on anything!

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 31, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FOV and focal length have a linear inverse relationship (fov goes down as focal length goes up), so we all talk about focal length to save on words. After a few months thinking about it it'll be second nature.

The "rule" of the focal distance being the distance between your film/sensor and the point the image is in focus is not absolute as the measurement is based on looking through a single lens. A telephoto lens has several lenses inside it allowing it to have a smaller physical length than its advertised focal length, but we still describe it using the "apparent" focal length as it's the only way to reasonably compare the zoom of two lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Focal length determines the geometry and isn't just the FOV. You can see in the picture above that in the smaller focal length things further away appear relatively smaller than closer things.

FOV is also determined by sensor size. A 35mm lens on a smaller crop sensor camera has a comparable FOV to a 50mm on a full frame one, but the geometry is the same as 35mm on a full frame sensor one. The edges are cropped off giving it a more narrow FOV.

Focal length (actual not equivalent) also determines depth of field (along with how close you are focusing). Shooting a fast lens wide open might not be desirable if it means you can't get as much of your subject in focus as you'd like.

Small aperture (big f number), focusing further away, and wide angle lenses give lots of depth of field, which is desirable in many cases.