Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Iron Crowned posted:

I was amazed to find out that show had 5 seasons. For the longest time, I thought it was one of those shows that had two season and quietly disappeared like Titus.

Titus has three seasons, actually.

Sorry, Ive never actually seen someone bring up that show besides me. Im gonna go rewatch my DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've been watching Dark Shadows in SD, the first show in a while I've done that for. It's fine. It'd be gorgeous in HD but I forgot how acceptable a decent SD transfer was.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SanofiUS/status/1001824999496404992

Ambien would like to be excluded from this narrative thanks

👏 LESS 👏RACIST 👏PHARMA 👏 COMPANIES 👏

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Roseanne is terrible but I'd trust her over any pharma company. I'm sure she didn't murder anyone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

Sorry, Ive never actually seen someone bring up that show besides me. Im gonna go rewatch my DVDs.

I watched Titus when it was on the air, but the one day it was gone, and Cynthia Watros became the very unbelievable love interest on the Drew Carey Show.

feedmyleg posted:

I've been watching Dark Shadows in SD, the first show in a while I've done that for. It's fine. It'd be gorgeous in HD but I forgot how acceptable a decent SD transfer was.

There are good SD transfers, but a lot of the syndicated shows, especially from the 80's, seem to have transfers that come from a 4th generation VHS, that was recorded off the air during a thunderstorm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Many shows in the 80s and 90s were edited on NTSC video. So, any HD remasters involve re-editing the episodes after the original film elements are scanned. That's why the remasters of Friends, Seinfeld, Star Trek:TNG, and X-Files were such a big deal.

Something as old as Dark Shadows should have been edited on film so an easy HD remaster should be possible assuming they could find the master of each episode (which may be more challenging at this point.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I was amazed to find out that show had 5 seasons. For the longest time, I thought it was one of those shows that had two season and quietly disappeared like Titus.

Titus was seriously underrated. I think it was one of the first shows I rued about after their cancellation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1001838076166066176

lol

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1001838408061341696

Yes, it worked out so well in the end

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

For a lot of small business owners and entrepreneurs it's not about massive profit, it's about being the boss and having to answer to no one, good or bad, smart decision or not. It's about control. Bob has built his business from the ground up with little/no help from anyone else. An outside investor coming in and saying 'hey, I'm going to change everything about this place, you have no say in what I decide to do from now on' is a lot to ask of anyone, especially someone who has so much invested financially and emotionally in the business.

This is one of those things they never really highlight on "Gordon Ramsay Gentrifies Your Business".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Many shows in the 80s and 90s were edited on NTSC video. So, any HD remasters involve re-editing the episodes after the original film elements are scanned. That's why the remasters of Friends, Seinfeld, Star Trek:TNG, and X-Files were such a big deal.

Something as old as Dark Shadows should have been edited on film so an easy HD remaster should be possible assuming they could find the master of each episode (which may be more challenging at this point.)

Yeah, unless scanning becomes incredibly cheap and simple, I'm not expecting something like Dark Shadows to get a new transfer. It's just too niche. Especially seeing as how it's one of those series that they only have it 100% complete due to reconstructions based on fan-recorded audio.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, unless scanning becomes incredibly cheap and simple, I'm not expecting something like Dark Shadows to get a new transfer. It's just too niche. Especially seeing as how it's one of those series that they only have it 100% complete due to reconstructions based on fan-recorded audio.

Also, it's over 1200 episodes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Awww man, Alan Sepinwall is moving to the Rolling Stone which is good for him but it also means that the TV Avalanche podcast is ending :smith:.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Great now even more people can read his whining about the end of episodic television

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/1001538522631749632

Bryan still hasn't slaked his thirst for disappointing fans by quitting highly anticipated shows in the middle of pre-production

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 30, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is terrible graphic design.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

zoux posted:

Great now even more people can read his whining about the end of episodic television

Is that what Sepinwall writes about these days? I only ever read an occasional review and his The Revolution Was Televised book, which if anything highlights how these great TV shows broke out of the mold that was episodic tv. Has he changed his tune or is his problem now that every mainstream show has to be both episodic and serial which works better for the latter than the former?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've only read a couple of his things but they were marked by complaining about the pacing of Netflix shows

You were waiting for it, and here it is:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001848460881035265

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

I've only read a couple of his things but they were marked by complaining about the pacing of Netflix shows

You were waiting for it, and here it is:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001848460881035265

Haha, the leader of the free world everyone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's the boring one, I want the unhinged one that he tweets at 3am on the toilet while loopy from straining to pass one of those cheeseburger turds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The real victim, as always, is the president.

This isn't the first time he's weighed in on programming decisions at ABC

Hope he doesn't find out about BET

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

STAC Goat posted:

I loved Titus, just another Fox show shitcanned for low ratings they would kill for now.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/1001538522631749632

Bryan still hasn't slaked his thirst for disappointing fans by quitting highly anticipated shows in the middle of pre-production

I can just see the headline now...

Bryan Fuller Out As Showrunner on 'Pushing Daisies'

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sepinwall is good, and when he complains about the pacing of a Netflix show it’s usually because it actually does have bad pacing.

In other news I decided to rewatch Kimmy Schmidt s3 before checking out the new episodes and god dammit that’s the second time I’ve been lukewarm on a season initially only to like it a hell of a lot more upon rewatch. Tina Fey’s contempt for any other kind of feminism but hers is still weird though

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

zoux posted:

The real victim, as always, is the president.

This isn't the first time he's weighed in on programming decisions at ABC

Hope he doesn't find out about BET
I'd love a comedy called Whiteish about people of color trying to blend in and doing all kinds of white poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Sepinwall is good, and when he complains about the pacing of a Netflix show it’s usually because it actually does have bad pacing.

In other news I decided to rewatch Kimmy Schmidt s3 before checking out the new episodes and god dammit that’s the second time I’ve been lukewarm on a season initially only to like it a hell of a lot more upon rewatch. Tina Fey’s contempt for any other kind of feminism but hers is still weird though
I think some of that can be attributed to the writers as well. It's clearly a very different writing team than, say, Great News, which Fey is also involved with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I'd love a comedy called Whiteish about people of color trying to blend in and doing all kinds of white poo poo

That is what Black-ish is about. It's about a guy from the hood who becomes successful and tries to deal with the way he was brought up while living in a "white" world. And the tension between his old life and new life, the fact that his kids are growing up with white peers and doing and liking white things. That's why it's called Black-ish, the idea that the success and living in (relative) privilege diminishes his blackness.

It's also excellent and hilarious and often poignant. Also Jennifer Lewis is absolutely murdering it as Dre's mom

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 30, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Blackish is pretty good. As is Fresh off the Boat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they’re both really solid shows, although FotB feels far less “essential”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FotB is dealing more with immigration culture differences and doesn't always make issues of race and culture front and center. While I don't want to downplay the racism and prejudice that Asian-Americans and immigrants face today and in the past, no one group has been more oppressed for longer and more brutally by our society than African Americans (well, maybe Native Americans), and so issues of race and culture are going to naturally be more in the forefront in a show about the tension between whiteness and blackness. Also, anti-Black racism seems to be more prevalent in the media and in news coverage than other types, so maybe the creators feel more of a duty to address these issues. They did a bottle episode about a police shooting of an unarmed black man that took place entirely in the family's living room, as they watched the news and discussed police/black dynamics with more frankness and honesty than I think I've ever seen on a TV show.

Both shows however prove that diverse or even minority-focused programming can be funny, successful and important all at the same time.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 30, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It’s going to be really funny because the talented liberal writers won’t do that, some of the cast may not do it (esp at smaller salaries), and it won’t have the same budget for below the line. It’ll be a huge loving disaster.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Good luck trying to get other people to sign on for Roseanne on your right-wing content channel.

Trump complains about Black-ish because he imagines it how he would want White-ish show to be, and how that would be judged.

Our president is a very dumb person.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He complains about it because he is an old rear end man who if he wasn't a lifelong real estate grifter, would meet with 6 other octogenarians for 5:30AM breakfast every morning at the local diner where they bitch about minorities and say what the real problems we need to fix are for three hours and then not tip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm personally having fun watching all the people that stood by the NFL's decision for silent protests being actionable by an employer calling on free speech rights to protect Rosanne from being fired.

The timing is just too delicious.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

He complains about it because he is an old rear end man who if he wasn't a lifelong real estate grifter, would meet with 6 other octogenarians for 5:30AM breakfast every morning at the local diner where they bitch about minorities and say what the real problems we need to fix are for three hours and then not tip.

They would also leer at the waitress and any female staff/customers and make inappropriate comments to them under the guise of just being a harmless old man.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Andrew Lincoln (Rick) is leaving The Walking Dead after the next season and Norman Reedus is negotiating a $20 million deal to become the new lead. This shitfest is going to be airing forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They would also leer at the waitress and any female staff/customers and make inappropriate comments to them under the guise of just being a harmless old man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4neMWKBwMfg&t=95s

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

Norman Reedus is negotiating a $20 million deal to become the new lead.

And he's also expecting a child with Diane Kruger... Talk about a winning streak.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Norman Reedus is negotiating a $20 million deal to become the new lead.

That's like a million dollars for each word spoken in the last two seasons.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

And he's also expecting a child with Diane Kruger... Talk about a winning streak.

Don't forget Death Stranding!

...what?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

ABC is considering doing some kind of show with some of the cast of Roseanne.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/30/roseanne-barr-abc-new-show-conners/

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

clown shoes posted:

ABC is considering doing some kind of show with some of the cast of Roseanne.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/30/roseanne-barr-abc-new-show-conners/

I mean they rebuilt the sets and stuff, might as well try it. Nobody but John Goodman and Johnny Galeki command much money, and the latter just won't show up again probably.