Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m into tone relicing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

I’m into tone relicing

https://store.gibson.com/products/historic-spec-bumble-bee-capacitors-2-pack/

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That price is astronomical.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Do “vintage” pickups count as tone relicing?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Kilometers Davis. I am your uncle.

Thanks for the axe Uncle Faustus

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Holy poo poo, as much as I like their guitars, which is pretty much a prerequisite if you like jazz guitar since most players played Gibsons for a long time, I hate them so much for poo poo like this.

quote:

Famous for their tone (and their stripes!)

Sure, stripes are worth that astronomical markup.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.tedss.com/2020046388

Oh Gibson you big silly, selling a $2 cap for $65 :allears:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

monolithburger posted:

https://www.tedss.com/2020046388

Oh Gibson you big silly, selling a $2 cap for $65 :allears:

Is that even legal? I mean it is totally hosed up but isn’t there some law about misrepresenting things that you’re selling?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's also super lame to demand people earn an old guitar. I'm not better than you because i've had this strat for 15 years. You're not better than me for having that LP for 20 years. Nobody worth listening to gives a poo poo about that.

nobody worth listening to gives a poo poo about relicing either, though.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

rio posted:

Is that even legal? I mean it is totally hosed up but isn’t there some law about misrepresenting things that you’re selling?

Can't misrepresent a concept that is already audiophile grade nonsense :thumbsup:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

rio posted:

I don't know about the US but in Australia, there's serious criminal charges for that.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

technically someone could file a complaint with the ftc or the tennessee attorney general's office, but it probably won't go anywhere

e: to their credit gibson was pretty smart with their ad copy avoiding saying that it was exactly the same type of capacitor, just that it looks, sounds, and performs like the original which is vague enough nobody would bother going after them about it

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 30, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah they don't say much beyond it was specially made for them. I totally believe no one else is ordering caps with that particular decorative cladding.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

sudo rm -rf posted:

nobody worth listening to gives a poo poo about relicing either, though.

I don't listen to John Mayer at all, so maybe he is a bad example, but...

http://www.fenderrocks.com/historic-fenders-john-mayers-black1/

He seems to love at least two custom shop Fender relic guitars. He could literally buy any and all guitar he wants, including a 1954 original if he wanted a real historic (I'm sure he owns plenty of those as well to be fair), and instead had the custom shop make one for him. Rustic, worn, distressed, relic, whatever is just an ascetic. Same as neon/sparkly paint jobs, hello kitty guitar, acrylic guitars, pointy metal guitars, adding LEDs, or a guitar that is actually a surf board. Getting worked up about it beyond "I don't want one" seems silly. It is also very fair to say with any of those styles that it can be both tastefully done and tacky. Or you just find all of that style tacky. Cool.

Then again, in that video, Mayer says he threw his ~$5,000-$10,000 custom shop guitar in the freezer for like 3 days when he first got it because it didn't sound "right". Turns out it was a bad solder joint. So he is kind of an idiot.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Getting worked up about getting worked up is silly too. No one should care too much. In this case.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I kind of want to leave my LP in my car when it dips below freezing this winter for authentic Ford lacquer checking

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

Getting worked up about getting worked up is silly too. No one should care too much. In this case.

It shows some of the reason that my Agile LP clone with aftermarket pickups/electronics and a few hours of fretwork matches the quality of a $3000 les paul.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My controversial relic opinion is that beat up Strats and Teles look great no matter if it's real or fake, but beat up LPs look like garbage. I don't sweat the dings and bumps on my Fender-style guitars, but I try to keep my LP pristine. Which is funny because it's the only one I've actually gigged with and dropped.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I purchased some slightly heavier than usual gauge strings to convert one of my LP clones into a permanent C-Standard machine. Going to check the neck relief and intonation after that, and tweak as needed. Anything else to be aware of set-up wise? I figure tension will be a little less that it was before, but not much different so should be pretty minimal effort in that department. However, I am unsure how to re-relic for this new tuning; please advise.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Depending on how large the new gauge is, and how your nut is cut, you may need to lightly expand/file down the slots on the nut. You likely shouldn't need to worry about it but you may have a tiny issue with the strings being slightly too high on the nut end. Keep it in mind if there's any goofy issues that pop up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lumpy posted:

So I purchased some slightly heavier than usual gauge strings to convert one of my LP clones into a permanent C-Standard machine. Going to check the neck relief and intonation after that, and tweak as needed. Anything else to be aware of set-up wise? I figure tension will be a little less that it was before, but not much different so should be pretty minimal effort in that department. However, I am unsure how to re-relic for this new tuning; please advise.

Three witches you shall meet
On your way to tune to C

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/guitars-arent-dying-theyre-as-popular-as-ever-w520494

Juszkiewicz points out there is also a lot of money in the opposite endeavor: catering to lingering nostalgia. Gibson offers several lines of guitars resembling those famously wielded by Jimi Hendrix, Slash and Jimmy Page. It has developed a manufacturing process that speeds up the aging of wood, giving guitars – and their sound – an immediate, mature feel. Some of its new instruments are selling for as much as $500,000.

“Gibson guitars are one of the few instruments that has vintage value,” Juszkiewicz says, adding that the company has a solid base of older customers who, now that they’re richer, are buying the top-of-the-line Les Pauls that they admired and longed for in their youth.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

quote:

"From our perspective, the industry has actually never been in better shape," Fender CEO Andy Mooney says

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You have the right to do what you want to your guitar and I have the right to call you a goober.

Also, the best and most authentic relicing process is being owned by a high school dipshit. I should show off some of the tone divots my old Peavey managed to acquire -- some of them go all the way to bare wood. No idea how they happened.

BDA fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 30, 2018

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I think this is more just an "am I crazy/doing something wrong" post, but I figure there are a lot of people here with a ton more playing experience than me who've probably experienced this.

I've got a Baja Telecaster that sounds incredible, but I just can't seem to get it comfortable for my right arm. It's either digging in to my forearm or I have my elbow jutted way out to keep it away from the body and picking just feels awkward. I usually have the strap pretty high, but I've tried bringing it even higher or way down low to no real difference. My Jazzmaster on the other hand feels great, and it seems crazy that that tiny bit of forearm curve would make that much of a difference. The consensus online seems to be "you just get used to it", but it's not really working for me. Am I just destined to not get along with Teles? Was that weird Offset Telecaster actually a good thing? Are there any good alternatives for Tele sound, but a slightly more ergonomic body?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Leck posted:

Are there any good alternatives for Tele sound, but a slightly more ergonomic body?
Ibanez Talman. It's got Tele electronics but it's contoured like a Strat (and weighs about as much too.)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Anime Reference posted:

Ibanez Talman. It's got Tele electronics but it's contoured like a Strat (and weighs about as much too.)

Alternately, your Baja Tele and an angle grinder.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wood rasp would be the slightly easier way to go about it

plus you get to learn all about finish work as a bonus

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Muppets On PCP posted:

wood rasp would be the slightly easier way to go about it

plus you get to learn all about finish work as a bonus

If they go with the angle grinder, there is a good chance they will learn a lot more about finish work....

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Grind your guitar to match your arm and be comfortable playing a single guitar. Grind your arm to match the guitar.... Just saying.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Put a tele bridge and pickups on a strat body.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Does anybody else's guitar resonate with certain notes? I feel a vibration in the bridge whenever I play a F# on the bottom 4 or so strings. I came across it when doing linear exercises and one fret gave off louder notes than usual. It's not a big deal and doesn't affect play, but does this just happen with guitars?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

Does anybody else's guitar resonate with certain notes? I feel a vibration in the bridge whenever I play a F# on the bottom 4 or so strings. I came across it when doing linear exercises and one fret gave off louder notes than usual. It's not a big deal and doesn't affect play, but does this just happen with guitars?

That’s fairly common and F# is a consistent note that does it. It’s called a wolf tone. Here’s the wiki!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

skooma512 posted:

Yup, and for me it’s a little different with each guitar. That’s neat about F# though, I never noticed that.

My entire office hums for about five seconds if I sneeze loud enough, it’s great.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Play a banjo :shrug:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

skooma512 posted:

Congratulations, you found the mechanical resonance frequency of your guitar. Or something really close to it. Most of mine are F# or G, and more noticeable on the lowest versions.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
PICKUP WIRING QUESTION!

Trying to upgrade the pups in my Squier Ashittiny Strat, (HSS). I've replaced the neck pup, that sounds better and good.

I've replaced the crappy humbucker with an old Seymour Duncan I've got, (PJP is stamped on the bottom of it). Wiring shows how to run the four wires (red, white, green, black) out to the strat, (combine red and white, tape off, black goes to switch, green goes to ground).

BUT My replacement humbucker has 5 wires - the last one is a wire wrap around the black wire. Based on the instructions, I was guessing that it's a ground, so it should be paired with the green one, (ground) and attach it to the ground on the guitar, (grounded to whichever pot the previous humbucker's ground ran to. I don't have the guitar in front of me so I can't say for certain, but I think it's the tone pot)

UNFORTUNATELY, here's what I get now.

1. Neck
2. Out of phase neck and (middle maybe?)
3. Out of phase middle and bridge maybe?
4. Exact same as #3
5: bridge, but it sounds like an AM radio - quiet and no bottom end at all, like, just totally dropped.

I've tried a couple of variations - running the exposed wires with the black instead of the green, reversing the black and the green with green and wire combined.

They all sound the same.

SO maybe the pickup is a dud? I don't think that's the problem - only because the middle and bridge-middle selections sound identical. When I put the selector in those positions and tap the bridge pickup, it clicks, so I know it's kind of playing nice... but I'm stumped.

The pre-existing humbucker has only two wires. I'm sure the SD pickup is probably able to do split coil tapping or whatever, but I just want the humbucker to play.

Any ideas?

edit: re: relicing
My Gibson ES-135 (1994 maybe?) has a TON of real wear - previous owner played blues gigs all over Atlanta for years, and sweat a poo poo-ton. So I'm guessing the finish (sunburst) might be resistant to scratches alone, but if you add sweat, maybe that will get you your hard-earned worn-down guitar.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 31, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's the model name of the Seymour Duncan?

This diagram right? https://docs.google.com/gview?embedded=true&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seymourduncan.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F05%2F2S_1H_5W_1V_2T.pdf

Did you solder the two wires together?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yep - well - they were already soldered together and taped.

It's a JBJ era of a JB pickup.

I found this info:
https://www.seymourduncan.com/faqs/what-are-your-humbucker-wiring-color-codes

quote:

All Seymour Duncan humbuckers with four-conductor hookup wires incorporate a standard wire color code.

GREEN = start of adjustable/south coil
RED = finish of adjustable/south coil
BLACK = start of stud/north coil
WHITE = finish of stud/north coil

For standard series humbucking operation on a 4-Conductor wired humbucker the White & Red wires are soldered together and taped; Green is ground and Black is Hot Output. The bare wire is always grounded.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 31, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Before you do anything, make sure the impedance reading from black to green reads at least some value. If it's 0 then something shorted, if there's no connection at all then one of the connections on the spool got hosed. (there's a little tiny connection on the bobbin that can get broken)

So long as the pickup isn't so old that it uses a different color scheme:

Green is ground, so is the bare wire. Black is hot. Black goes to the switch. To verify that the pickup is fine you should just disconnect literally everything (except the soldered/taped wires) and just run the black wire to the hot connection of the output jack and the green+bare wires to the sleeve (ground) If there's another ground that goes to the trem claw then make sure that's connected to the grounds.

It seems like your switch or the wiring on the switch is messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yeah, bare wire is a ground. Are your grounds all connected at the same joint?