Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

The banner, music and the way he straps on the pipboy give it a bit of a "let's get down to business" vibe. I'd like to play a good fallout game but I don't really believe that's going to happen.

To be a little fair, Vault 76 IS a Control Vault. If anyone was going to walk out into the Wasteland thinking they've got poo poo under control, it would be someone from a Vault that wasn't part of a deranged social experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hope they scale it back closer to the war, since 200 years in the future is a ridiculous time to not have rebuilt civilization at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hope they scale it back closer to the war, since 200 years in the future is a ridiculous time to not have rebuilt civilization at all.

No point in clearing these skeletons out of our yard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hope they scale it back closer to the war, since 200 years in the future is a ridiculous time to not have cleaned up any garbage at all.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

from a couple pages back re: dude who didnt like yakuza

yeah I was the same with 0, it took me literally like a year to beat it after playing on and off every now and then out of guilt because my girlfriend bought me it, since the main loop is Okay Combat + 25 minute japanese cutscenes.

Then the plot picked up and I became insanely powerful and the stupid side stories really started to charm me and now I've gone through 0, Kiwami and 6 in the past month and my girlfriend sits on the sofa next to me to watch what happens to the volcel kiryu and his wacky boyfriend majima. Its pretty janky and I think not liking it is perfectly reasonable but as a whole its really greater than the sum of its parts or whatever that phrase is

e: having said that the camgirl poo poo in 6 is pretty much the skeeviest thing i've ever played (yeah im sure some goons can outdo me here) and genuinely upset my girlfriend for like the whole night lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually several places are tidied up and have built up some degree of civilization to the point they've regained manufacturing and farming capabilities, the big one being the New California Republic. New Vegas and Fallout 4 just dumped you in the relative rear end-end of nowhere away from those places where it's still scavengers and rogue tribes trying pick over ruins.

Rebuilding civilization takes time, and it's not unrealistic that there's plenty of places where it's still a scavenged wasteland. Especially when there's not that many people left compared to the population pre-bomb-drop.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Basically all the real Fallouts that happen in the American south west (1, 2, New Vegas) have some semblance of civilization

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It's more about the small farme er with piles of trash in their fields and crap all over their house.

1 month that would all be gone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Basically all the real Fallouts that happen in the American south west (1, 2, New Vegas) have some semblance of civilization

Even then, New Vegas only had some degree of civilization because Mr House dragged them all kicking and screaming into a coherent stable society. Albeit one balanced on a knife-edge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout 4 does as well, you just don't see it. The Brotherhood of Steel has founded a nation state since FO3.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 30, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

It's more about the small farme er with piles of trash in their fields and crap all over their house.

1 month that would all be gone.

I see you don't know any farmers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout 4 does as well, you just don't see it. The Brotherhood of Steel has founded a nation state since FO3, sort of like the Knights Teutonic.

The Prydwen itself also says a lot about the level of technology the BoS has now; They built it from scratch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ATN: Very important information

https://twitter.com/Hazukari/status/994726329261215744

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even then, New Vegas only had some degree of civilization because Mr House dragged them all kicking and screaming into a coherent stable society. Albeit one balanced on a knife-edge.

Eh, the NCR was annexing the the Mojave in NV.

Mr House just had a centuries long advantage in fortifying New Vegas proper though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

XCOM 2 and Trials Fusion are the PS+ games for June

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1001840670506549248?s=19

I hope Sumo or whatever is working on this. Sonic All-stars Racing: Transformed was so much better than it had any right to be and was the best kart racer to come out in yeeeeeears

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pablo Nergigante posted:

XCOM 2's an amazing get even if I've already put 200 hours in.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Firstly my favourite video game ending of late was Horizon Zero Dawn. At the end I felt so satisfied and accomplished. It was a truly wonderful feeling.

Secondly I am so so so so so excited for Fallout76. That song choice was brilliant! Fallout4 is my favourite for many reasons so a new game in the best fallout engine is right up my alley! 😁

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Meh. XCOM 2 was in Humble Monthly roughly a year ago (and I hated it). Hope next month is better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I got XCOM 2 on PC but I couldn’t really sink a lot of time into it because it’s an old as gently caress mac and it played terribly. How is it on PS4? I’m guessing it has no mod support?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

beep by grandpa posted:

So come to think of it, what are some of y'alls favorite endings that were super, super strong for you?

This generation nothing is really jumping out at me atm but in the past, FF8 (seriously, what an ending), ME2, ZOE2, Brave Fencer Musashi, Bayonetta, MGR:REVENGEANCE ...

And perhaps the greatest, hypest final level, final boss, and ending of all time... The Wonderful 101 on Wii U. Holy poo poo. 13/10.

I'm usually not affected that much by the endings themselves, but the last sections were you actually play tend to stick with me.

1. The final 'bossfight' against the credits in Nier: A is amazing and really made that game for me.
2. Final boss battle in Metal Gear Rising. The music, difficulty, and intensity is out of this world.
3. Assaulting the mansion in Max Payne 2. So good.
4. Riding up the rocket in Bayonetta is fantastic. I would put the final boss higher but I tend to die like five times to the final QTE when you're supposed to steer the boss towards the sun, which takes me out of the moment.
5. The final battle of Crisis Core made me emotional in a way I didn't think possible in a portable FF game.
6. The last area of Journey is wonderful and made me smile the whole way through.

But to answer your question I'd probably go with the endings of MGS3 and FFXV. They're both fantastic melodramas. The ending of the Last of Us stuck with me for a long time. It took me a while to actually warm up to it, but now it's probably my favorite ending.

I have to mentioned the wonderfully cheesy FF8 and FF9 endings too. They're unironically great.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 30, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The loving boat scene in Yak0 :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My favourite ending is, unbelievably, from Mario Odyssey. I had a stupid poo poo-eating grin on my face the entire time the music played.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1001840670506549248?s=19

I hope Sumo or whatever is working on this. Sonic All-stars Racing: Transformed was so much better than it had any right to be and was the best kart racer to come out in yeeeeeears

Yep they are

https://twitter.com/SumoDigitalLtd/status/1001841267041603584

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The bad (canon?) ending of the first Shadow Hearts is pretty heartbreaking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

beep by grandpa posted:

So come to think of it, what are some of y'alls favorite endings that were super, super strong for you?

This generation nothing is really jumping out at me atm but in the past, FF8 (seriously, what an ending), ME2, ZOE2, Brave Fencer Musashi, Bayonetta, MGR:REVENGEANCE ...

And perhaps the greatest, hypest final level, final boss, and ending of all time... The Wonderful 101 on Wii U. Holy poo poo. 13/10.

Halo Reach's ending where you fight until you die surrounded by the corpses of a bunch of other Spartans as your helmet slowly cracks apart and the hud flickers off was pretty well done. It doesn't end or pull any tricks to make it end. It just goes until you finally slip up and lose, then enters the cutscene. The checkpoint is called, instead of Rally Point Alpha or Beta like in the entire rest of the series that follows the scheme, Rally Point Omega as well, which is a nice little touch.

Bioshock 2's is pretty good too for having a surprising amount of variations for how it can play out.

No one else liked it but I thought Deus Ex Human Revolution's endings were well done from the last level to the end. The whole point of the endings besides "scuttle the facility" is that it doesn't matter - if you select them you're giving control to someone, to the world's detriment. It's a lose-lose with the only real option being to do so or to reject the choice outright. I thought it was really clever as well how the whole game is asking the question of whether or not you're losing or giving up your humanity for power or wealth or anything then at the very end, forcing Jensen to fight or flee his way through innocent people, while given the most powerful weapons in the game at the same time. At the end of the game there's nothing else to use your plasma rifle on. It's asking you to give your real answer instead of what you had Jensen say to manipulate people. That's also why it's a threshold of amount of people killed between the "I tried to be a good person" and "I used my power how I wanted" dialogues. It recognizes to an extent if you tried to minimize loss of life or not.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renoistic posted:

The bad (canon?) ending of the first Shadow Hearts is pretty heartbreaking.

I need to get back to my playthrough, that game is pretty cool

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Crap I forgot about Hellblade. The final battle and ending are beautiful. I hope Ninja Theory release a sequel before GoW does and implement all their ideas before they do, AGAIN. I got some major deja vu as I was playing GoW.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exploded mummy posted:

Eh, the NCR was annexing the the Mojave in NV.

Mr House just had a centuries long advantage in fortifying New Vegas proper though.

The NCR had only just reached the Mojave, after a very long time of progressing across the US. The Mojave is the very fringe of their reach, and they're stretched pretty thin as-is outside Vault City.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hellblade was good even if the combat was kind of rear end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In the camera closeups on Senua's face, her eyes have the most convincing "spark of life" I've seen in a game so far.

Thanks for whoever recommended it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Any good recent digital-only titles besides Bloodstained I can use this coupon on? I already played Celeste

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hellblade has the best load points, where she gets up close to a reflective surface and all you can see is her face, then takes a step back and she's suddenly somewhere else. Beating GoW to the one-take trick without any fade to white cop-out.

Speaking of, God of War 3 deservedly gets a ton of poo poo for its gratuitous violence but I did like that its final QTE, where you mash every button at once to punch Zeus's face in, will stay active for as long as you care to keep doing it. You can pour out as much aggression as you want until the scene is nothing but red and the sound of punches landing but you only finish the game by choosing to calm down.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steve Yun posted:

In the camera closeups on Senua's face, her eyes have the most convincing "spark of life" I've seen in a game so far.

Thanks for whoever recommended it

It's really cool that motion & facial capture has reached a point where a performance can go beyond "good for a video game" into just "freakin' good."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Like, I actually got uncomfortable for a second when her eyes made contact with me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After finishing God of War, it was a pretty good Knack-like but it's time to move onto the real thing, Knack 2 here I come

beep by grandpa posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's final boss and ending is a perfect mix of metal gear insanity, dbz powering up, and WWF pro wrestling promo monologueing that it hits every part of my latent 14 year old brain. Probably my fav final boss besides MGS3/TW101.

The music is a brilliant one-two punch, if you had told me Kojima wrote the lyrics I would believe you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYnDsr8z4iU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxq_B2KPQDY

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

beep by grandpa posted:

Terraenigma and Breath of Fire IV always made an impression on me because of how bittersweet they were. Final Fantasy Tactics too, but at the time I couldn't follow most of the story. Not the end of the actual game, but the last bits of the Oersted chapter from Live a Live are a big "Oh poo poo :stare:"

It's such a stupid thing but I remember getting choked up at FF8.

The bonus episode from Phoenix Wright 1 because of just how much things are escalating by the time you're reaching the end. I feel like none of the other DS games reached this much tension.

beating Jumpin' Jack Flash at Diva Difficulty in Elite Beat Agents stuck with me because it hosed up my tendons and I had to get PT and buy an exercise ball.

Kingdom Hearts 2 fell like an accomplished ending. After everything that happened, they were finally home and could be happy together. It was over. And then it wasn't and it still is getting dragged on today, but at the time it really felt like a worthy conclusion.

MGS3 was great but it also pissed me off because I wouldn't get a Ps3 any time soon and wouldn't get to play 4. And I never did :v:

Asscreed 2 because the last boss is a goddamn fistfight with the Pope.

Ori & The Blind Forest but also everything else about it.

Recently, and actually relevant to this thread, Automata Ending E for the emotional impact, Yak0 and YaKiwamamountor the number of asses being kicked and [b]Uncharted 4 for a good closure.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 30, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

The bonus episode from Phoenix Wright 1 because of just how much things are escalating by the time you're reaching the end. I feel like none of the other DS games reached this much tension.

I love this one because It's quite possible to fall into the Chief's final trap if you play straight. You gotta fumble it and let him lead out the evidence.

Samuringa posted:

Terraenigma and Breath of Fire IV always made an impression on me because of how bittersweet they were. Final Fantasy Tactics too, but at the time I couldn't follow most of the story. Not the end of the actual game, but the last bits of the Oersted chapter from Live a Live are a big "Oh poo poo :stare:"

Breath of Fire IV's is particularly bittersweet because the real villain gets away scot-free with it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Holy poo poo the transvestite ninjas in Chapter 12 of Yak0 :allears:

I really shoulda been advancing the story instead of just doing side stories