Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Magnus 2 with a galleon is a loving douchebag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Magnus 2 with a ton of nomads with whatever else sprinkled in is loving amazing

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've been having a ton of fun with;

https://conflictchamber.com/#c6201b_-0J5p5X5X5Z5Z9r9r9vdH7y9ufjiFiF

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] The Irregulars

(Magnus 2) Magnus the Warlord [+28]
- Mangler [15]
- Mangler [15]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
- Rover [15]
- Rover [15]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [0(4)]
Gobber Tinker [2]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [0(5)]
Ragman [0(4)]
Savio Montero Acosta [0(6)]
Thorn Gun Mages [9]
Thorn Gun Mages [9]

The 2 Nomads get the advance move and set up to take or charge first, the Manglers follow them up. The Rovers move up with Magnus for that sweet shield guard and large base hiding zone.

The Gun Mages head for a zone with Savio and generally wreck most things and can deal with armor but just shooting thunderbolts at it till the end of the game (Seriously, I had some poor Khador Heavy stuck in the upper left corner of the board for half a game thanks to 12 thunderbolt shots). They are also cute cause they can shoot into Melee to free up the jacks.

Ragman helps the Merc jacks crack into armor. Orin's improved Anti-spell ability is great as is having a chain lightning in your back pocket. Sylys is also just fantastic with Magnus for spellsplinging and general focus improvement.

Feat aggressively and slam 6 heavy jacks into your opponent's army. Tear poo poo up.

I also love the variety instead of all nomads. The Rover's shield guard is a godsend since I play Mag's pretty aggressively and their 3 base attacks go a long way. Their Shield and Unyielding make them great for sticking around into the late game. The Mangler's also help with the focus and every once in a while you get to live the dream and thresher like 8 infantry models or something.

Super fun list and can easily be taken to a tournament. I went 2-2 at a Weekend Qualifier with it and was super pleased. I'm thinking of swapping a Thorn Unit out and Savio for Gibbs to support a single Thorn with 2 units of Kayazy Eliminators but we shall see.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've been having a ton of fun with;

https://conflictchamber.com/#c6201b_-0J5p5X5X5Z5Z9r9r9vdH7y9ufjiFiF

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] The Irregulars

(Magnus 2) Magnus the Warlord [+28]
- Mangler [15]
- Mangler [15]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
- Rover [15]
- Rover [15]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [0(4)]
Gobber Tinker [2]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [0(5)]
Ragman [0(4)]
Savio Montero Acosta [0(6)]
Thorn Gun Mages [9]
Thorn Gun Mages [9]

The 2 Nomads get the advance move and set up to take or charge first, the Manglers follow them up. The Rovers move up with Magnus for that sweet shield guard and large base hiding zone.

The Gun Mages head for a zone with Savio and generally wreck most things and can deal with armor but just shooting thunderbolts at it till the end of the game (Seriously, I had some poor Khador Heavy stuck in the upper left corner of the board for half a game thanks to 12 thunderbolt shots). They are also cute cause they can shoot into Melee to free up the jacks.

Ragman helps the Merc jacks crack into armor. Orin's improved Anti-spell ability is great as is having a chain lightning in your back pocket. Sylys is also just fantastic with Magnus for spellsplinging and general focus improvement.

Feat aggressively and slam 6 heavy jacks into your opponent's army. Tear poo poo up.

I also love the variety instead of all nomads. The Rover's shield guard is a godsend since I play Mag's pretty aggressively and their 3 base attacks go a long way. Their Shield and Unyielding make them great for sticking around into the late game. The Mangler's also help with the focus and every once in a while you get to live the dream and thresher like 8 infantry models or something.

Super fun list and can easily be taken to a tournament. I went 2-2 at a Weekend Qualifier with it and was super pleased. I'm thinking of swapping a Thorn Unit out and Savio for Gibbs to support a single Thorn with 2 units of Kayazy Eliminators but we shall see.

The idea that I can actually run a bunch of jacks with Magnus is novel. Are the Renegades not worth using anymore? Also, I love that there's no animosity between the Thorn Gun Mages and Magnus. I always used to wish I could run Gun Mages and Magnus together.

Also, what the gently caress is going on with the Trencher Long Gunners? Did they just willfully invalidate the original Long Gunners? Those fuckers are literally in every way better than regular Long Gunners.

Acceptableloss fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 19, 2018

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Acceptableloss posted:

The idea that I can actually run a bunch of jacks with Magnus is novel. Are the Renegades not worth using anymore? Also, I love that there's no animosity between the Thorn Gun Mages and Magnus. I always used to wish I could run Gun Mages and Magnus together.

Renegades are good warjacks. They got an arc-node, they have some reasonable stats, and can fight "ok" in a pinch. As time has gone on, I find myself using them less with E-Magnus in favor of just overwhelming assault. The entire idea of the list is to just deliver as many heavy warjacks into my opponent's face as possible. I've played the list with a Renegade and found myself wanting it to be a Nomad or etc each time. That said, this is because I take Sylys and play pretty aggressive so the arc node benefit is moot and then the Renegade just becomes a Light Jack that wishes it wasn't.

Hell, in Mark 2 I always used 2 Renegades with Magnus. At the start of Mk3, I used 1 Renegade. Now, I just use my Nomads/Rovers/Manglers. One of the really fun things about Magnus, both Prime and Epic, is that you can really build around what you want to do with the caster. He can use Renegades to good effect. He can also run 6 Nomads to good effect. I've played E-Magnus as a Steelhead Caster. I've run the same list with pMagnus too good effect because his buffs are insanely good. He is a pretty adaptable caster. It is why he is so much fun to play.

Thorn Gun Mages are incredible and I wish I bought them earlier. They have survivability issues since they are 1 wound models, but they hang back far enough that this only comes up on turns 3 and 4 generally. They bring a lot of utility to the Merc armies for a reasonable cost. Just having 1 unit with Sgt. Gibbs as a "count-as" attachment is worth it. Really great unit to have at your disposal.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Acceptableloss posted:

Also, what the gently caress is going on with the Trencher Long Gunners? Did they just willfully invalidate the original Long Gunners? Those fuckers are literally in every way better than regular Long Gunners.

They cost a whole two extra points :v:. Also worth mentioning, they go in a superior theme force (the trencher one) which has support for them, as opposed to regular long gunners which go in heavy metal (the warjack spam one) with no support for them.

...yeah they basically obsolete the old ones.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I mean, the old ones were garbage anyways, but yeah.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
On the upside, you could convert your old LG to TLG with minimal efforts, I guess?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Finished up the Boil Master and Spirit Cauldron. I hadn't noticed the little details on his belt when I got the model: hands, grapes, salt & pepper, lizards. Normal soup ingredients.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Nighttheii posted:

Finished up the Boil Master and Spirit Cauldron. I hadn't noticed the little details on his belt when I got the model: hands, grapes, salt & pepper, lizards. Normal soup ingredients.

Grapes in soup? Gross.

Lovely job on the models.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2018

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Can the painting requirements for champions be pulled yet?

*looks at 16 models still to be painted in 3 days*

Please?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Can the painting requirements for champions be pulled yet?

*looks at 16 models still to be painted in 3 days*

Please?

Ouch.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Kolgrimma vs Zerkova1 is a horrible slog of LoS-blocking clouds while my cool ranged jacks take pot-shots at infantry.

Malakov2 vs same isn't much different.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
At least zerko cant be spell assassinated by kolg...

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

At least zerko cant be spell assassinated by kolg...

Sure she can. You don't have to target her with the spray.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
She’s also immune to cold so she’s totally safe.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Tried Caster Draft with some friends. With Engine of Destruction my caster had SPD 9 with a pow 20 weapon master Lola with 2" reach; and Marketh to cast Ghostly on him.

It probably would have been awesome except that I got killed by a 14” threat Synergy-Mauler who by-the-by, was at arm 26.

So basically it's the best way to play Warmachine.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Whoever designed the celestial fulcrum is either a sadist, or a complete loving moron, and should be beaten without mercy.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

Jimmy Hats posted:

Whoever designed the celestial fulcrum is either a sadist, or a complete loving moron, and should be beaten without mercy.

You could always leave the whole rocky crater off, and have the druids pushing the main orb through the dirt like Sisyphus?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I thought about just painting the little orbs like beach balls and putting all the druids in the pool. The guy with the bent elbows would get a pool noodle

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I played my first game with Kraye last night and holy poo poo he's fun as hell. Not only was it a fun game (that I won) but probably the single best game I've ever played; it was so easy to actually formulate, and then execute, a plan of action. Now I just need to actually build and paint the model but fuuuck I'm not looking forward to all the gap filling needed. Plus, the horse cock, what the poo poo PP?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rantmo posted:

I played my first game with Kraye last night and holy poo poo he's fun as hell. Not only was it a fun game (that I won) but probably the single best game I've ever played; it was so easy to actually formulate, and then execute, a plan of action. Now I just need to actually build and paint the model but fuuuck I'm not looking forward to all the gap filling needed. Plus, the horse cock, what the poo poo PP?

Kraye is both cool and good and gets a ton of mileage even out of 'jacks you might not normally use. Plus, lots of jacks is cooler than lots of not-jacks. Being able to crank speed up everything up takes a lot of pressure off, imo.

Someone sell me all the CoC medium based infantry for hella cheap so I can run the lucant list I want to run plz k thanks

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

rantmo posted:

At least the horse isnt in heels...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Jimmy Hats posted:

At least the horse isnt in heels...

The coldest comfort.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

12 more to go! :fuckoff:

Thankfully now 10 of them are in the ‘mostly painted’ stare and it’s just a matter of doing the little bags and belts and such.

Then the basing....

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Got my hands on a mark 1 rulebook. Privateer Press had a, uh, interesting take on how to market the game at first.

:yikes:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Maneck posted:

Got my hands on a mark 1 rulebook. Privateer Press had a, uh, interesting take on how to market the game at first.

:yikes:

Ive never seen one. What did they do?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Nix that "at first" qualifier. The above is actually from a redone version of the first rule book. Circa 2006.

The conversation about "marketing an aggressive game" versus "insulting more than half of your potential customers for no reason" must have come some time between then and the second edition.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
After you graduate from college and realize that gay people and woman folk also have money:

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Maneck posted:

Nix that "at first" qualifier. The above is actually from a redone version of the first rule book. Circa 2006.

The conversation about "marketing an aggressive game" versus "insulting more than half of your potential customers for no reason" must have come some time between then and the second edition.

Page 5 was kind of a meme in Mark 1; every anthology book had one. I think the Pirates book didn't get it... and maybe Legends?

It was a big enough deal there were threads complaining about it's absence during Mark II's launch.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Honestly surprised they didn’t slap a pair of truck nuts on the Juggernaut.

“Baaaaaaaallllssss and dicks and more baaaallllssss”

Lol how did this game ever get off the ground?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, at least they moved from that. Hell, mk2's page 5, flawed as it was, had a provision that said: "the goal of this page isn't to assuage your vertically challenged ego". Baby steps. And then it was gone in mk3.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Honestly surprised they didn’t slap a pair of truck nuts on the Juggernaut.

“Baaaaaaaallllssss and dicks and more baaaallllssss”

Lol how did this game ever get off the ground?

Social media was in its infancy? They had time to fix themselves before suffering a righteous (and just) smiting.

Zalabar posted:

Page 5 was kind of a meme in Mark 1; every anthology book had one. I think the Pirates book didn't get it... and maybe Legends?

It was a big enough deal there were threads complaining about it's absence during Mark II's launch.

Those people are still shrieking threats about leaving the hobby. GW announced a launch of kids books. As illustrated, the characters were ethnically diverse. Which, according to idiots, is unrealistic in a game universe with 1,000,000 plus human worlds. :jerkbag:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iceclaw posted:

Well, at least they moved from that. Hell, mk2's page 5, flawed as it was, had a provision that said: "the goal of this page isn't to assuage your vertically challenged ego". Baby steps. And then it was gone in mk3.

AH, that must be why everyone says WMH is dead now :ms:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh I need that drat Circle CID to start. I cannot wait to have my troops to be envious of every single infantry choice my opponents play.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fool_of_sound posted:

Ugh I need that drat Circle CID to start. I cannot wait to have my troops to be envious of every single infantry choice my opponents play.

We still have to wait for the ever expanding ret cid to go through. Ill eat my hat if they manage to keep it to only 1 week.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Speaking of circle, the other day my Morv2 Wild Hunt won against anamag in primal terrors. Wild Hunt rules

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
They did reveal some of the legacy models getting reworks;

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Hopefully by the time CID starts some of those legacy models have point adjustments. But, its nice to see Brennos on there. I have never liked Brennos' rules. The animus is easier to get from the wyrd and the bond is just really strange in a faction with a decent amount of healing abilities, on a ranged/support heavy that probably won't be making many attacks in a turn.

Also, I'd pay for a recast of the Brennos kit that takes the digital model, and just scales it down like 25%. I know that's never going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'd probably run Brennos in some lists if he got Battle Wizard. His bond is mediocre though.