Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's also possible that the author of the piece got that idea from from US right wing media or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I briefly considered writing an email to the author of the piece saying either "please provide your sources" or "welp you've convinced me that my being here is bad for the country so I'm taking my bat and ball and money and skills-learnt-here and one of your fertile citizens and going home" but :effort:

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Osaka District Public Prosecutors Office just announced that it's not indicting former National Tax Agency chief Sagawa. This is interesting because when he was summoned before the Diet, Sagawa refused to answer pretty much any question based on the possibility of criminal prosecution (except to state that Abe was 100% definitely not involved, a somewhat odd pattern that Yanase, a former secetary of Abe's repeated more recently). Also LDP MPs like Shoji Nishikawa kept arguing that there was no need for the Diet to investigate the issue because the Osaka District Public Prosecutors Office would make the facts clear.

I wonder if the opposition parties are going to demand that Sagawa be summoned as a sworn witness again? I guess now he would have to switching to "I don't remember" as the answer to all the questions. Also, I now fully expect the LDP to turn around and use the fact that the public prosecutors office didn't indict him as a reason why there's no need to question him.

Incidentally, it sounds like the reason that Sagawa wasn't indicted was that, as some people suspected, the way the relevant law is current phrased it basically doesn't prevent simply deleting entire sections.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 18, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol, more Kake Gakuen stuff:

- Ehime Prefecture submitted a document stating that Abe met with Kake Gakuen in April 2015, contradicting Abe's story.

- Abe denied this saying that there was no meeting and that they checked the visitor logs for the prime minister's residence and "were not able to confirm" any such meeting. However, until now the government has been saying that these visitor logs were being destroyed after a short period so it wasn't possible to check them.

- Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga then had to make a statement saying that there was no meeting but that they couldn't check the logs because they had been destroyed, contradicting Abe's statement (but I guess they can try to argue that what Abe meant was "they checked the [extant] logs [and they didn't have any logs from that date so] they were not able to confirm [whether or not there was] any such meeting [based on the extant logs]" or something).

- An NHK reporter was apparently effective demoted by being transferred to an unimportant position after reporting on the Kake Gakuen issue.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 22, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

The latest amusing Moritomo development:

The government recently released several hundred pages of minutes from meetings with Moritomo with people's names redacted. However, it turned out that they screwed up when redacting the files: they just inserted black rectangles above the images in the PDF files without actually removing the text below the rectangles (a surprisingly common mistake).

Now, several news outlets are reporting that one of the names that was redacted was that of the husband of former defense minister Tomomi Inada.

This is interesting because Tomomi Inada's husband is a lawyer whose firm represented Moritomo, but she previously told the Diet that although her husband's firm had represented Moritomo, her husband was not involved with this in any way. It is now clear that this was false.

Everyone already hates Tomomi Inada and she's no longer a minister anyway, so this won't really affect the Abe administration, though.

(Incidentally, Yasunori Kagoike, the former president of Moritomo, and his wife were also recently released on bail after being arrested a while ago for fraud (allegedly lying about the price they paid for the land for the school to the Osaka government to receive more subsidy money), but this hasn't led to anything particularly interesting so far.)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

The government recently released several hundred pages of minutes from meetings with Moritomo with people's names redacted. However, it turned out that they screwed up when redacting the files: they just inserted black rectangles above the images in the PDF files without actually removing the text below the rectangles (a surprisingly common mistake).

You see this is what happens when you don't use the correct software.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
What I'm saying is they should have used Excel

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

You mean they didn't manually black out documents on paper and fax them?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
been looking for an Adam Curtis style Political Documentary on Japan,

this is the closest ive been able to find

https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/1001880573714010112

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Here's a documentary about a railroad strike in 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_v6She6J78

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bit of an update on that land deal thing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44355770 the finance minister is giving up some of his salary.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Abe must have photos of Aso with Chinese hookers to be able to extract that kind of "repentant" act from him. No way in hell Aso would have willingly agreed to cough up money for something he "wasn't responsible" for.

vvvvv yes it is, and my point stands

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 14, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It’s a paltry sum for him anyway.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've seen this story pop up dozens of times in the past couple of days.

“Have you ever wanted to kill your boss?”
A whopping 27 percent of those surveyed answered “yes“, meaning over one in four respondents have felt the stirrings of homicidal urges – most likely brought on by unfair business practices. Even factoring in the likelihood that participants were joking, that’s a scary amount.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/one-in-four-surveyed-japanese-workers-admits-to-wanting-to-kill-boss-osaka-quake-helps-show-why

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mystes
May 31, 2006

Caption: Shinzo Abe and Shigeru Ishiba.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Went to see a family with a newborn girl the other day, she was cute and fell asleep in my arms immediately when I held her. Then the mother said "we're considering teaching her English from a young age, if she had been a boy we certainly would". Ugh.

I know that sort of attitude is nothing unusual here but it always bums me out hearing it from the mouth of a friend or someone whom I know is otherwise normal. If I could change anything here it'd be this retarded male chauvinism that seeps into everything.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/miosugita/status/1021213480571973633

Good, run her out of town.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I can't read that, please help.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

She's a politician who wrote an article for a magazine saying LGBT are unproductive and so shouldn't get tax benefits along with other bigoted garbage. Also said the LDP backed her up on it. Now she claims she got death threats from a gay person and so deleted all her tweets about the issue.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Some background Mio Sugita, that tweeting politician:
She's a comfort women denier;
she was already in hot water for being a rape apologist;
and here's some English coverage of what she's getting death threats for now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kishida is out so it's just Abe or Ishiba for PM, but I have a feeling that it's going to be Abe again.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

RIP Takeshi Onaga.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

RIP Takeshi Onaga.

WaPo obit. Pancreatic cancer is a mean motherfucker.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Some background Mio Sugita, that tweeting politician:
She's a comfort women denier;
she was already in hot water for being a rape apologist;
and here's some English coverage of what she's getting death threats for now.

I feel a lot less bad about responding to her most recent tweet with "うるせーんだよ、差別主義者のくせに"

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I feel a lot less bad about responding to her most recent tweet with "うるせーんだよ、差別主義者のくせに"

Oh man you sure showed her

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If it leads to her getting shook and quitting politics forever, it's good.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
As I recall she already tweeted out that she deleted a bunch of poo poo she said because of threats.

Which is good. Get hosed I say. There’s much more history of uyoku actually following through and killing progressives or giving more serious threats like mailing live ammo, yet she gave at the very first opportunity. If you’re gonna say vile poo poo with your head held high and interspersed with mocking chuckles you better at least have the loving guts to stick to your guns.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How good is Japan's climate resilience at the moment?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Could solve the aging population problem.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys I’m just watching some news in China right now. So Japan recently released a 30 page plus paper about “日本防衛” or defending japan? Something to do with the unnamed country rising military activity and that japan needs a response?

Of course the news here is reporting about its baseless claims and a dream come true of militarization for the right wingers and AMERICAN ASSISTANCE.

So what is the paper actually about? Thanks goons

mystes
May 31, 2006

caberham posted:

Hey guys I’m just watching some news in China right now. So Japan recently released a 30 page plus paper about “日本防衛” or defending japan? Something to do with the unnamed country rising military activity and that japan needs a response?

Of course the news here is reporting about its baseless claims and a dream come true of militarization for the right wingers and AMERICAN ASSISTANCE.

The Ministry of Defense releases a white paper on defense every year. There's probably nothing new in it and it isn't in itself newsworthy in Japan but I guess it provides Korea and China another opportunity to repeat their usual criticisms of the Japanese government's existing positions on various issues.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Where’s the 30+ pages from? Sounds like they yearly Japan defense white paper (防衛白書) which just got released. But it’s more like 580 pages. Maybe they mean 30 pages are dedicated to China? Here’s the paper itself. I’m interested in hearing if they call out specific claims as being BS.

http://www.mod.go.jp/j/publication/wp/wp2018/pdf/H30_MDF_whitepaper.pdf

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s the usual, interference in south china seas, occupying the islands and accusing China of militarization when they get US BACKING.

Claims of military activity by the chinese is a lie because China is a peaceful country and they are all domestic affairs.

On a tangent I met a didi driver who worked in a submarine when he was in the navy. He is firmly on the PRC and bragged about following different US ships and everyone informally plays tag and ping each other through radar/morse or whatever.

That China is ready to defend its claim anytime but there’s money and economic stability to be made so he got disillusioned and became an Uber driver :laffo:

Submariners in the PLAN still do alternate shifts and share the same bunk :smith:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Submariners in the PLAN still do alternate shifts and share the same bunk :smith:

US submariners hot bunk too. :shrug: I'm sure the US submarines are roomier, I've been on a Los Angeles class submarine and it's not bad, but hot bunking is just a fact of life in every navy.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

LimburgLimbo posted:

Where’s the 30+ pages from? Sounds like they yearly Japan defense white paper (防衛白書) which just got released. But it’s more like 580 pages. Maybe they mean 30 pages are dedicated to China? Here’s the paper itself. I’m interested in hearing if they call out specific claims as being BS.

http://www.mod.go.jp/j/publication/wp/wp2018/pdf/H30_MDF_whitepaper.pdf

30 pages is the English digest version, 580 is the full white paper.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
kinda interesting: https://www.wsj.com/articles/japan-russia-see-way-out-of-70-year-squabble-1536752725

quote:

Japanese and Russian leaders agreed to study joint rule of a group of contested islands, offering a road map to re-establishing full diplomatic relations after more than seven decades.

Economic and political ties between the two countries have been limited by Russia’s occupation of the islands, which lie to the northeast of Japan’s main islands, in the closing days of World War II. Both sides have claimed them, deadlocking negotiations.

“We have to change our approach to reach a peace agreement…we owe this to our future generations,” Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told Russian President Vladimir Putin in an unusually fervent address at a conference in Russia’s eastern city of Vladivostok on Wednesday. “A joint administration [of the islands] is a way of doing this.”

Mr. Putin agreed to study the proposal, saying the islands are too insignificant to continue blocking relations.

. . .

Mr. Putin went further, offering to sign a peace treaty without any conditions by the end of the year, and then work on the status of the islands, known as the South Kuril Islands in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

They can't do that - what will the uyoku scream about on their days off then?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

‘Peace treaty without conditions’ has been the Russian position literally since the 1960s/70s. It’s Japan that won’t sign a treaty without getting their islands back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Face culture is terrible

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/04/654474739/osaka-ends-ties-with-san-francisco-in-protest-of-comfort-women-statue