Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The gas door/flap dohickey on my 17 GTI has started to stick as of late. It seems the little plunger inside isn't disengaging when pressed. It seems pretty common as best I can tell, has anyone here dealt with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Try cleaning it out with cintact cleaner if not under warranty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Satchmo posted:

I've had my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 for 6 years and I'm ready for something new. The NVH of this car has left me wanting something more refined. I'm seriously considering getting a C30 over a GTI or A3 - would that be stupid? I still need to test drive all 3 so I'll have to see if the C30 feels too boring.

my dad had a c30 with an automatic and it's an OK car but not exciting in the slightest. i doubt a manual transmission would make it much better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You’d also only be swapping up 3 years, doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Christobevii3 posted:

Try cleaning it out with cintact cleaner if not under warranty.

Very much under warranty, call the dealership and bitch at them then?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Warbird posted:

Very much under warranty, call the dealership and bitch at them then?

Yeah let the dealer fix it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The last time I took my car to the dealer they took a chunk out of the front bumper and refused to pay for it until I had my insurance company go after them. I’d see if I could fix it first.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Very similar experience here, the dealership I bought from gives free oil changes for life so I figured why the hell not give them a try. They somehow managed to unlatch one of the shift cables inside the console, I'm guessing from letting it down off the lift too fast or god knows how. They didn't even put a mile on the odometer and I watched them pull it in so no one took it out racing or anything at least.

Then they spent 30 minutes trying to convince me that's how every focus st shifter feels even though it was drat near impossible to get into reverse and 1st/3rd/5th had no feeling whatsoever. Then they bring out the head technician or whatever, he sits in and feels it and immediately went 'yeah that's hosed, feels like the shift cable popped off' and went and fixed it in 5 minutes.

gently caress taking it to the dealership for simple stuff/issues, you're better off googling it and using whatever solution people post up on the forums for your specific car. Or watch a YouTube video on it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, pretty much my thought. Ive been putting of a trunk hatch recall because theyll probably reflash over my tuned computef and give me poo poo over mods when i dont care. Fix the latch and noisy blower fan.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fun fact: The GTI locks the gas hatch if the car isn’t unlocked. :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Considering premium's over $1.40/L right now, I think that's a good feature.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Man, you guys have horrible dealer luck. We've used probably...5 different ones with the wife's escape and never had an issue.

Also, anyone else read the comparison article from MT? Tldr was Civic Type R was best, followed by the RS, GTI R and STI Type RA.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Out of curiosity, are VW dealers open to test drives on the R these days?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Man, you guys have horrible dealer luck. We've used probably...5 different ones with the wife's escape and never had an issue.

Also, anyone else read the comparison article from MT? Tldr was Civic Type R was best, followed by the RS, GTI R and STI Type RA.

They tested the RS with the Supersports, not the Cup 2s. Not fair. :colbert:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

It will depend on the dealer. I haven't been anywhere where they think it's some ultimate halo car like you'll see with the RS and Type R, but I'm sure those places exist.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iwentdoodie posted:

🤔

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

When i bought my RS in Feb 2017, I test drove an R, RS, and STi. The worst they did was try to "upsell" me to an SUV at the VW dealer.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Really depends on the dealer, i had zero issues testing a golf R at the first place I went to (spoiler alert: its really boring). I had a hell of a time trying to drive a focus RS, but eventually found a place that let me, and it owns a lot.

I still haven't been able to drive a type R, they are all in showrooms and everyone guffawed at me thinking i could test drive one. Well sorry folks im not buying a car i cant drive i just don't get it.

Is a loving Civic not a koniggsegg.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Go to an Audi dealer and ask to drive an S3. Same car, except at Audi it's the lower end of the range instead of the upper.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The dealer I bought my Golf R from had no problems letting me test drive one.

I don't know how it could be said to be "really boring," but hey, to each their own :shrug:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

PT6A posted:

The dealer I bought my Golf R from had no problems letting me test drive one.

I don't know how it could be said to be "really boring," but hey, to each their own :shrug:

I know, I drive it around town and a lot of times it feels like it wants to be going twice the speed I'll let it drive. It's almost too much car for me.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Maybe not reallllly boring, but it just felt way way too similar to my '16 Jetta, maybe that car has just ruined me.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I’d love to see them redo that hot hatch shootout with an ‘18 RS with the forged wheel/Cup 2’s on it. I have a feeling the results would be quite different.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If we're comparing "fastest versions" then shouldn't the R be tested with the DSG?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Huge_Midget posted:

I’d love to see them redo that hot hatch shootout with an ‘18 RS with the forged wheel/Cup 2’s on it. I have a feeling the results would be quite different.

What is the point of comparing cars without running comparable tires?

e: To be fair, tests like this should be done like Grassroots Motorsports and all use the same tire.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 30, 2018

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

It’s about what it comes with from the factory. The ‘18 RS has a front limited slip diff, and the 19” forged wheels/Cup 2’s are a factory option, the stock wheels are 18” heavier wheels with Pilot Super Sports. The Cup 2’s would help negate the larger contact patch advantage that the Type R’s 20” wheels would give it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wat? If you compare actual tread width the 235/35R19 MPSS has a 9" tread width and the 245/30R20 Conti has a 8.1" tread width.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2018

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

wat? If you compare actual tread width the 235/35R19 MPSS has a 9" tread width and the 245/30R20 Conti has a 8.1" tread width.

Lol I did not realize they were running such a narrow tire on 20 inch wheels. Holy hell those things have even smaller sidewalls than my Cup 2’s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most people tracking them have stepped down to 18's, haha.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Most people tracking them have stepped down to 18's, haha.

The dubs are ridiculous on the Type R.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And are disgustingly ugly

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I know, I drive it around town and a lot of times it feels like it wants to be going twice the speed I'll let it drive. It's almost too much car for me.

The first reason I'm considering getting another GTI/R to replace the Cayman. The second is because me+her+dog won't fit inside at the same time.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

The first reason I'm considering getting another GTI/R to replace the Cayman. The second is because me+her+dog won't fit inside at the same time.

The Forester XT works well for me, her, Tetrapyloctomy Jr, and the dog. The CVT is the primary downside but it honestly isn't awful (and the adaptive cruise control is pretty nice).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The Forester XT works well for me, her, Tetrapyloctomy Jr, and the dog. The CVT is the primary downside but it honestly isn't awful (and the adaptive cruise control is pretty nice).

She drives a Macan, so hopefully one car with room for a dog should be enough. I'm trying to hold on to the Cayman if I can get away with it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
2020 Golf R will have 400hp

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Man that is some extreme styling on those exclusive pictures.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Will weigh 3600lb

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Will weigh 3600lb

The Golf R becomes a GT

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
*hybrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Most VW dealers (from what I've read/seen) will not let you drive an R. They seem to be piling up at dealers though, so you might get lucky. My local dealer has 9 and they are all $2500 off. Your best bet would be to drive a used one. I drove 2 Rs (used ones) at dealers last year. It is a good car, but I am really glad I got the GTI instead. The rumor I like on the vw boards is the R getting RS3 engine. That would be a car I would buy immediately.