Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brucio posted:

Has Eric Grenier ever had an accurate seat projection without giving himself tons of wiggle room? He's giving the OPC 45-80 seats lol

One time the election result fell outside his terrible projection even with the enormous wiggle room and he responded by saying "see this proves how right my projection was" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

brucio posted:

Has Eric Grenier ever had an accurate seat projection without giving himself tons of wiggle room? He's giving the OPC 45-80 seats lol

No, because his whole shtick is digital haruspicy. He hasn't got the data to predict whether the sun will rise tomorrow.

vyelkin posted:

One time the election result fell outside his terrible projection even with the enormous wiggle room and he responded by saying "see this proves how right my projection was" lol

90% accuracy in the last election, where he predicted anything from a Conservative majority to a Liberal minority.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Is Eric Grenier like our version of Nate Silver but with even less confidence in himself?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Grenier tries to apply the same analysis to our system that Silver does in the States but it doesn't work in a system with small ridings that flip around between Libs and Cons constantly.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I think a bigger factor is the fact that there are 3+ viable parties and it's much harder to predict where votes are going to go

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Le Saboteur posted:

Is Eric Grenier like our version of Nate Silver but with even less confidence in himself?

Unfortunately, no. Grenier has even more confidence in himself.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brucio posted:

I think a bigger factor is the fact that there are 3+ viable parties and it's much harder to predict where votes are going to go

A bigger factor is that the US has an enormous number of regular state-level polls and Nate Silver uses state-level polls to predict Senate and presidential races because they're decided by individual states, whereas in Canada all we get are nation-wide or province-wide polls where the sample sizes are too small to make any granular predictions at low levels, so when you try to extrapolate a province-wide result to an individual riding result your margin of error is like +/- 40%.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I read a Grenier article recently and it was the most facile kind of statistical analysis imaginable. He compared the federal Liberals polling dip to the historical performance of parties at a similar point in their mandate, and concluded that five of the last seven governments were more popular at this juncture than the Libs. Then he quickly added that most of those governments became less popular later, and that unpopular governments usually bounce back somewhat.

It was literally just "here are some vague patterns with absolutely no analysis of the underlying cause and zero predictive power, carefully phrased so that I seem to predict nothing and everything at the same time".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

vyelkin posted:

A bigger factor is that the US has an enormous number of regular state-level polls and Nate Silver uses state-level polls to predict Senate and presidential races because they're decided by individual states, whereas in Canada all we get are nation-wide or province-wide polls where the sample sizes are too small to make any granular predictions at low levels, so when you try to extrapolate a province-wide result to an individual riding result your margin of error is like +/- 40%.

Same reason why Silver doesn't do congressional races.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

I read a Grenier article recently and it was the most facile kind of statistical analysis imaginable. He compared the federal Liberals polling dip to the historical performance of parties at a similar point in their mandate, and concluded that five of the last seven governments were more popular at this juncture than the Libs. Then he quickly added that most of those governments became less popular later, and that unpopular governments usually bounce back somewhat.

It was literally just "here are some vague patterns with absolutely no analysis of the underlying cause and zero predictive power, carefully phrased so that I seem to predict nothing and everything at the same time".

How triggered do you get when you hear the phrase "If an election were held today..."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
PCPO has moved on to the "literally just making things up about our opponents" stage

https://twitter.com/OntarioPCParty/status/1001576646502121478

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
lmao

https://twitter.com/TGranicAllen/status/1001839166122901504

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

infernal machines posted:

PCPO has moved on to the "literally just making things up about our opponents" stage

https://twitter.com/OntarioPCParty/status/1001576646502121478

I think one of the funniest things about the Ontario PC party twitter is that their tweets regularly get ratioed.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
The next time I hear the phrase “in the national interest” i’m fit to fly into a rage. Is there anything more patronizing to voters and ultimately hypocritical than this bullshit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:psyduck:
https://twitter.com/Mrmikeus/status/1001842017448570880

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Le Saboteur posted:

Grenier is shittier Nate Silver, both in his capabilities and also because there aren't enough polls to make a reliable model

simple analysis is that the election is swingy: NDP theoritically has a popular vote margin of victory but much shittier voter distribution so PC government is very likely (reminds you of something eh)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
also apparently the NDP candidate in my riding is crazy alternative medicine magnets will cure your cancer person welp

the NDP srsly did not vet their candidates well enough probably because they figured they had no chance in the 905 before a month ago

Typo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 30, 2018

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Typo posted:

Grenier is shittier Nate Silver, both in his capabilities and also because there aren't enough polls to make a reliable model

simple analysis is that the election is swingy: NDP theoritically has a popular vote margin of victory but much shittier voter distribution so PC government is very likely (reminds you of something eh)

For example Grenier just updated his Tracker with 3 positive polls for the NDP and their chances of winning a majority went down 2-3 points due to bad regional breakdowns in the southwest and Toronto.

With our polling generally being pretty weak and sample sizes so small I just don't know how you can trust regional breakdowns that much.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is best if you picture kathleen wynne hitting the drum

https://twitter.com/OntLiberal/status/1001205049249419264

make sense to me imo, Wynne is just trying to hold on to the centrist liberal base at this point, she's accepted that she's completely lost the left and now the NDP is the anti-FORD party you can't get them back

xtal posted:

Has the Liberal campaign been this explicitly anti-labour before? Appalling

it's the optimal strategy for the liberals: also wynne will not be the party leader after this election so nobody is gonna remember this whenever FORD fucks up enough to be ousted from power

Typo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 30, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

brucio posted:

That took no cojones. They will still vote PC. He says he's going to scrap sex ed and that's what they want.

I'd say he hired her just to fire her and appease both the socons and the pc voters who find them repugnant but that's be giving him way too much credit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He fired her because he doesn't give a flying gently caress about the Socons now that he's won the party leadership, because they're fringe even within the PCPO. And as you say, what are they going to do, except vote Alliance/Trillium/whatever in the few ridings where someone is running?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And as you say, what are they going to do, except vote Alliance/Trillium/whatever in the few ridings where someone is running?

Stay home, I hope. Or inject more crazy into the OPC conversation space. :getin:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cast my vote for the NDP in Etobicoke Centre.
Fords mistress will probably win here but if by any chance my candidate does win I will be disappointed if she doesn’t introduce a private members bill to drone strike rebellious gun nuts.

Also what’s the deal with these weird scanner/shredder ballot box machines?

How does that work? Is ford going to get 110 percent of the popular vote or something?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Cast my vote for the NDP in Etobicoke Centre.
Fords mistress will probably win here but if by any chance my candidate does win I will be disappointed if she doesn’t introduce a private members bill to drone strike rebellious gun nuts.

Also what’s the deal with these weird scanner/shredder ballot box machines?

How does that work? Is ford going to get 110 percent of the popular vote or something?

I swear they had those machines in the last election I voted in as well.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
Where are you getting information on PC internal polling? Or is it just surmising based on the material they're putting out?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"anyone who isn't conservative is ~Radical~"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Silver Spooner posted:

Where are you getting information on PC internal polling? Or is it just surmising based on the material they're putting out?

When I posted about PC internal polling it was just me making a couple connections between the PCs suddenly fear mongering about polls and the fact that Patrick Brown decided to twist the knife all of a sudden in a highly published interview all occurring within days of each other.

It looks suspiciously like something might be there but who knows.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Silver Spooner posted:

They're acting the way parties act when they have bad internal polling but nobody actually knows anything.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/charlesadler/status/1001607727817224193

EXTREMISM

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Re: BC voting reform

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1001864252162850816?s=21
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1001865462433513472
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1001866054757306373
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1001869278797119488

lmao
https://twitter.com/markymark7717/status/1001877075836497920

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's a sort of irony to the fact that "radical" LGBT people basically created the society that someone like this can exist in.

Like it's kind of rad that being gay is something that few people need to hide now, but it sort of sucks that because we've earned that, there's people who will try to speak on behalf with no perspective or empathy for those who still do need to hide, or don't have equal standing/treatment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

There's a sort of irony to the fact that "radical" LGBT people basically created the society that someone like this can exist in.

Like it's kind of rad that being gay is something that few people need to hide now, but it sort of sucks that because we've earned that, there's people who will try to speak on behalf with no perspective or empathy for those who still do need to hide, or don't have equal standing/treatment.

Well that and Allen's whole "gay people getting married sickens me" thing, seems like that might be a bit of a problem, but whatever.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Oxyclean posted:

being a gay conservative is like black republicans post-1960s or so: it's something the right trots out every cycle as their heros so they can say I have gay/black friend

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Oxyclean posted:

Also, we need more radical LGBT people to help push the boundaries even further. It's not like we can go overboard on this -- taking the radical LGBT agenda to its conclusion would result in a world where people can be open about their gender and sexuality without fear of being judged. That sounds pretty loving good to me, who are the people who have a problem with this agenda?

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
https://www.ontariopc.ca/plan_for_the_people

OPCP platform is up. Oh boy.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Was it really that hard to have that done a month ago at least? I'm glad they didn't but still it's impressive how arrogant and/or stupid they are.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I wonder if they thought they could try for a late boost in the polls by releasing their platform closer to the election date.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The green butt plug bullet points are a nice touch.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That is a terrifying background to put on your platform. Lets just get really fuckin close in there so we can see the lines and pores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well that and Allen's whole "gay people getting married sickens me" thing, seems like that might be a bit of a problem, but whatever.
Okay, I missed that. I had no idea what was actually being referred to in the tweet. gently caress that dude twice then. Makes me think of all the people who swear up and down they're okay with gay people, they just don't want them to have any rights or protections.

PT6A posted:

Also, we need more radical LGBT people to help push the boundaries even further. It's not like we can go overboard on this -- taking the radical LGBT agenda to its conclusion would result in a world where people can be open about their gender and sexuality without fear of being judged. That sounds pretty loving good to me, who are the people who have a problem with this agenda?
Yep. I don't know why some people can accept sexuality can exist on a spectrum or with variance, but gender as a spectrum or with variance is just too wild of a concept.

The people who seem to have a problem with it mostly just seem like (lovely) people who either don't believe in this sort of thing or think it's PC histarics, and LGBT folk are already totally treated fine and equal.