Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

How would autopilot deal with construction zones and such? The "lane assist" in my car was freaking out yesterday because of a construction diversion that took us across painted lines (apparently just piling into a bunch of orange cones would be better!) so the thought of trusting autopilot would definitely freak me out.

The bilnd-spot monitoring system also tried to force the wheel against an exit I was trying to make because, on a double exit, it thought the person in the outside lane was "in my blind spot." These systems really loving suck so far, I keep turning them off as I find them.

The current version definitely has a habit of barreling right into construction zone markers. Who can say what a working version would do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

suck my woke dick posted:

hot take: tesla autopilot is pointless because there’s no functional difference between driving and having your hands on the wheel ready to drive

it does a useful task of selling cars to early adopter idiots and then killing/maiming them so it's not entirely pointless

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm loathe to post this because derails of people defending this dumb company will be pages long, but it is, unfortunately, very thread relevant (unless self driving cars spun off into its own garbage fire thread):

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1001570159285465092

That what you get when you tell the car to play some vintage NWA.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

hot take: tesla autopilot is pointless because there’s no functional difference between driving and having your hands on the wheel ready to drive

In my mind, its likely to be actively harmful. Peoples' attention may wander because they are not dealing with the minutiae of driving, meaning accidents are more likely. Its the number one reason I don't want to be an early adopter of this.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm loathe to post this because derails of people defending this dumb company will be pages long, but it is, unfortunately, very thread relevant (unless self driving cars spun off into its own garbage fire thread):

I'm not sure how one can defend this, but I'm sure people will try. Avoiding large stationary objects seems like it'd be the "Hello World" of automated driving.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Can't even get mad at this. I mean, this is the thing that was meant to save online reporting from the ad crash, right? Having it forced by regulators just saves publishers a nasty transition period I really wanted them to endure, but so be it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

How would autopilot deal with construction zones and such?

Something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ml6sjk_8c

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ryde posted:

In my mind, its likely to be actively harmful. Peoples' attention may wander because they are not dealing with the minutiae of driving, meaning accidents are more likely. Its the number one reason I don't want to be an early adopter of this.

:agreed:

The moment I turn on self driving mode I will immediately stop paying attention to anything besides my book, phone, or laptop, or I might just go straight to sleep. The self driving mode needs to be designed with a human reaction time measured in minutes (ie the driver waking up or finishing a wank) in mind.

e: if the Tesla autopilot wants me to pay attention while it's on it better pay me six figures for the effort like an airline pilot.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 30, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

:agreed:

The moment I turn on self driving mode I will immediately stop paying attention to anything besides my book, phone, or laptop, or just go straight to sleep. The self driving mode needs to be designed with a human reaction time measured in minutes (ie the driver waking up or finishing a wank) in mind.

It's funny because wanking/road-head would absolutely be the number one use of autonomous mode.

Dropping to spot two after autonomous mode is good enough to take drunks home.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

It's funny because wanking/road-head would absolutely be the number one use of autonomous mode.

Dropping to spot two after autonomous mode is good enough to take drunks home.

this is also going to be an issue if you rely on automated mode to get yourself home from a bar. instant dui

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

boner confessor posted:

this is also going to be an issue if you rely on automated mode to get yourself home from a bar. instant dui

When full-autonomous mode with no driver supervision is possible and legal, DUI laws will probably be updated to account for it. It seems like an absolutely huge use-case with a big safety benefit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

boner confessor posted:

When self driving tech gets good it should be legally equivalent to taking an uber taxi. At most attach that legal status to having a built-in breathalyser that prevents manual control when you’re smashed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

When full-autonomous mode with no driver supervision is possible and legal,

if

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

True. I don't have high hopes that it will be in my lifetime, frankly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fully autonomous cars are decades away if we ever have them.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Unless life and/or the concept of a car ends before then it’s a when. Might not be as soon as the futurists want but it will happen

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Moatman posted:

Unless life and/or the concept of a car ends before then it’s a when. Might not be as soon as the futurists want but it will happen

eh, i can see car manufacturers in the 2060s giving up on getting that last 5% of self driving capability when 95% covers pretty much all of the market. like, do we really need to ensure total automated control during a blizzard in north dakota when there's a full moon?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

boner confessor posted:

eh, i can see car manufacturers in the 2060s giving up on getting that last 5% of self driving capability when 95% covers pretty much all of the market. like, do we really need to ensure total automated control during a blizzard in north dakota when there's a full moon?

No but "adverse conditions detected, automatic mode not available, please take inbuilt breathalyser test to drive manually" is a perfectly sufficient solution to that problem as far as self-driving goes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

No but "adverse conditions detected, automatic mode not available, please take inbuilt breathalyser test to drive manually" is a perfectly sufficient solution to that problem as far as self-driving goes.

i dont want to straddle two arguments here where i was previously talking about how the manufacturers might declare "good enough" before reaching 100% perfect automation in every circumstance

but that's different imo from the feasibility of putting interlocks in every vehicle. not every american drinks - only like 10% of americans consume 80% of the booze or something like that. so you'd be pissing off customers by breath testing them every time you have to flip to manual mode. manufacturers would resist that hard on the basis of false positives alone

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr. Nice! posted:

which is a drat shame because it's literally all the consumer wants and it's frankly what they're advertising? no one wants what they're selling - either your car drives itself and you can look at your phone or you can't and who the gently caress cares. an autopilot that delivers 99.9% safe driving is probably less safe then something like cruise control - (a feature that won't get you anywhere in the same hemisphere as 99.9% safe if you remove the driver) because there's no temptation to chance it so you can look at your phone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

boner confessor posted:

i dont want to straddle two arguments here where i was previously talking about how the manufacturers might declare "good enough" before reaching 100% perfect automation in every circumstance

but that's different imo from the feasibility of putting interlocks in every vehicle. not every american drinks - only like 10% of americans consume 80% of the booze or something like that. so you'd be pissing off customers by breath testing them every time you have to flip to manual mode. manufacturers would resist that hard on the basis of false positives alone

Just because hard-core alcoholics drink most of the booze doesn't mean there aren't a significant number of people who get above the legal limit, or choose not to drive after drinking any amount, on an occasional basis.

Another significant problem with allowing for the possibility of a switchover to manual mode if necessary is: oh, great, you've had a sensor failure or encountered adverse weather conditions the system can't handle in the middle of the night halfway home in the middle lane of a highway. What now? If the driver is unable to drive for one reason or another, you are fully hosed. Any system that cannot handle itself 100% of the time must have a licensed driver who's able to drive if necessary to take control.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Just because hard-core alcoholics drink most of the booze doesn't mean there aren't a significant number of people who get above the legal limit, or choose not to drive after drinking any amount, on an occasional basis.

ok but even if we include all the people who might have a literal glass of wine with dinner you're still making grandma blow her lungs out into an interlock even when she hasn't had a drop of alcohol since 1987 and there isn't a single car manufacturer who would be happy with making this a mandatory requirement

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

boner confessor posted:

Ok maybe the popup should read "adverse conditions detected, press butan to drive manually1 1: manual driving mode use will be logged and may expose driver to additional civil and/or criminal liability".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ok maybe the popup should read "adverse conditions detected, press butan to drive manually1 1: manual driving mode use will be logged and may expose driver to additional civil and/or criminal liability".

sure but then we're back to the instant DUI scenario and if that's the case people are just going to drive in manual mode anyway (until we get cars where your insurance company logs everything naturally)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

oh what a coincidence, that barrier is yellow.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

boner confessor posted:

(until we get cars where your insurance company logs everything naturally)

Uhhh tracking user inputs and whether self driving mode is on is a way easier problem to solve than reliable self driving, and I'd 100% buy a car that does this so I can get it to drive me home legally while smashed (if a sudden snowstorm is too much for the self driving mode to handle I'll just press butan to have the thing putter to the roadside and park itself at 4km/h before automatically calling for a tow).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uhhh tracking user inputs and whether self driving mode is on is a way easier problem to solve than reliable self driving,

i think the conversation is getting muddled

i'm saying that drunks would chance it in manual mode if there was a likelihood that switching from auto->manual would increase the amount of scrutiny on their drunk driving

i'm also separately saying that it's likely that cars in the future will automatically log driving habits and behavior on behalf of your insurer, which is also going to mess with drunks

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

boner confessor posted:

i think the conversation is getting muddled

i'm saying that drunks would chance it in manual mode if there was a likelihood that switching from auto->manual would increase the amount of scrutiny on their drunk driving

i'm also separately saying that it's likely that cars in the future will automatically log driving habits and behavior on behalf of your insurer, which is also going to mess with drunks

Ok.

Drunk driver gets in self driving car, presses "go home" butan.

A sudden snowstorm appears.

a) Drunk driver presses butan to putter to roadside and call for a tow/driver service. Insurance remains happy, no DUI has occured, sky does not fall.
b) Drunk driver presses other butan to drive manual. Cops pull obviously drunk driver over, drunk driver loses licence over DUI, nothing has changed from pre-self driving driving.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

oh what a coincidence, that barrier is yellow.

Actually :smug:, you will see that Teslas are perfectly able to handle the presence of yellow objects, as evidenced by these five gifs of Teslas having yellow turn signal lights.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fully autonomous cars will most likely be available for public taxi use in multiple US metros within 5 years. Who knows if they'll be a fad that dies out or if they'll ever be sold to individuals, which is a huge distinction. There's a massive gap between "can call an auto-cab in Phoenix in 2020" and "auto-car where I can sleep as I drive to Burning Man."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Possibly, but on the other hand have you considered the multiple instances of these test cars driving themselves into easily-avoided obstacles? I think 2020, even on a limited basis, is a forecast so optimistic it borders on outright fantasy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah but 2030? I'd have to think it would be possible.

Assuming we're alive still, of course.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We're not 5 years away from fully autonomous cars because we have nothing even close to approaching human cognition and problem solving from an AI standpoint. Any "self-driving" test car has been running extremely pre-defined routes with fully downloaded and integrated maps and even still the only way they can stop it from braking every 5 seconds is to hardcode out most obstacle detections. Self driving cars are a pipedream.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Possibly, but on the other hand have you considered the multiple instances of these test cars driving themselves into easily-avoided obstacles? I think 2020, even on a limited basis, is a forecast so optimistic it borders on outright fantasy.

Uber and Tesla aren't really in the same playing field as Waymo, Cruise, Daimler, Ford or VW. Uber and Tesla are pretty perfect examples of "how to gently caress this up" so they certainly run the risk of regulatory pressure (gently caress it up for everyone)...but I doubt it in this political environment.

I certainly think companies will miss their goals, which is why I hedge at 5 years. But the companies are planning more aggressively than that: Waymo is 2018, Cruise is 2019, Daimler is 2020, Ford is 2021.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

VW hasn't figured out how to make a blind-spot detection system that can handle a dual-lane exit, I think it's pretty safe to say full autonomy is more than 5 years out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

We're not 5 years away from fully autonomous cars because we have nothing even close to approaching human cognition and problem solving from an AI standpoint. Any "self-driving" test car has been running extremely pre-defined routes with fully downloaded and integrated maps and even still the only way they can stop it from braking every 5 seconds is to hardcode out most obstacle detections. Self driving cars are a pipedream.

You're behind the times, many of the companies have moved passed purely pre-defined routes, and I don't think Waymo or Cruise hardcodes any of their obstacles. Certainly they'll be limited to mapped roads, but mapping major metros could quickly cover a large chunk of existing taxi traffic.

I think the closed course testing is a huge advantage to actually developing effective self-driving car, since they can actually throw dummies in front of the cars until the cars hit the dummies and then develop better responses. It seems like such a basic step, it amazes me that so few companies actually do it.

PT6A posted:

VW hasn't figured out how to make a blind-spot detection system that can handle a dual-lane exit, I think it's pretty safe to say full autonomy is more than 5 years out.

That's really an unrelated point, since no one except the idiots at Tesla are talking about doing autonomous with existing vehicle sensor hardware.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Like for example, Waymo announced they're launching a pay-for service in the Phoenix metro later this year: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/waymo-self-driving-car-service-launch-this-year-phoenix/

Now sure, they'll probably slip to 2019, but it seems less likely they'll slip to 2030 after getting this far.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really the question in my mind is which point comes first in time: a credible manufacturer releases an autonomous driving system that works more often than it fails, or a critical mass of the consuming public is turned off from the technology because of too many visible failures from noncredible manufacturers and system developers that poison the well

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
oh i remembered that i intended to post this article itt

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/5/11/17343934/amazon-homebuilder-introduce-an-entire-alexa-driven-community-north-of-atlanta

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol those are going to be like those houses with old rear end broken intercoms that never worked except maybe to shriek loudly into all rooms if someone pressed a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

lol those are going to be like those houses with old rear end broken intercoms that never worked except maybe to shriek loudly into all rooms if someone pressed a button.

i lived in a two bedroom apartment that had one of those. a heavy duty rear end 70's wall mounted intercom with toggles and everything. in an apartment so small we didn't even have a baby monitor. i dont even know where it would have communicated to