Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

There are mosquitoes in my house and I have no idea where they’re coming from. Everything is screened or closed, even furnace vents. There are no visible cracks in the house, yet the mosquitoes get in. How can I find out where they’re coming from so I can stop this madness?

Standing water? Unused guest toilet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Standing water? Unused guest toilet?

It’s a small mobile home/trailer with only five drains. I even checked under the water heater, every other drain is used at least several times a week and with hot water and detergents. Not ideal environments for mosquito larvae, so I don’t think so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Looks like those are the standard letterforms for those in Australian Cursive writing, though some of the forms are really off from a typical American cursive hand like this:

I think there's even different variants in Canada and the UK... it's one of the big reasons they don't even bother to teach cursive in most of the US now. Even if you learn one version, it doesn't help all that much for international documents. And older text in cursive even in the same country is often in a different set of letterforms too - I can barely puzzle through some of my great-grandparents' stuff written in cursive because what they learned in school 90 years ago was quite a bit different for a lot of letters, even though you can slowly get through it.

I mean cursive made a lot more sense when you had to deal with poo poo like fountain pens and long stretches writing by hand, it's definitely easier to use a pen like that and avoid smudging and inconsistent strokes when you do a cursive hand than block letters. But with modern writing utensils and all the rest, it doesn't hold up. In my experience, we stopped learning cursive by grade 5 and had absolutely no need of using it from then on, and my youngest brother (7 years younger than me) didn't even need to do cursive for schoolwork throughout his time.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 30, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On the other hand, writing in cursive with a good pen on good paper is heavenly

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It’s also much faster than printing. But also, much slower than typing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

It’s also much faster than printing.

You may save a bit of time writing in cursive, but then you're forcing the reader to take that extra time, or more, to puzzle out what the hell your scrawl says. That's why I've always regarded cursive writing as a little rude. "I don't care enough to write legible words; I'm putting all the burden on you to figure out these cryptic squiggles."

It IS possible to write legible cursive but no one does, except possibly for elementary school teachers. If you print out actual letters instead, it'll still be perfectly readable even if you're a little sloppy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I write my short hand in cursive, and no-one but me can read my notes

Ok, fine, my fiance can read my notes

I can't read my notes

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Was there a time where cursive was so standard that most everyone could read it? Or is it one of those things where a brief push for standardization has led to long-lasting negative consequences for everyone?

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:

LLSix posted:

Is there a thread that discusses dancing/dance instruction? Looking for something more along the lines of swing, salsa, tango, or waltz rather than ballet.

I'll second this question... I've searched in my area, and all I can find are ballet/jazz dance classes for kids. If there isn't a thread, is there anyone in this thread with hot tips on how to actually get started, or is the answer just "move to a bigger city that actually has dance lessons for adults"?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Was there a time where cursive was so standard that most everyone could read it? Or is it one of those things where a brief push for standardization has led to long-lasting negative consequences for everyone?

Cursive was The Thing for almost as long as we've been writing things on paper. The Wikipedia page has some interesting info on its origin and an actual definitition, because what we're really talking about here is a specific style of cursive that was standardized in the late 1800s (I think).

I'd argue that well formed cursive handwriting is no harder to read than well formed printed handwriting, and people's inability to read cursive has little to do with the fact that the letters are joined. Hardly anyone uses cursive anymore so everyone's penmanship is atrocious. I have a few old letters from my grandparents, none of whom were expert calligraphers or anything, and they would be perfectly legible even if you'd never seen cursive before. Since they used it all the time and it was the only way for them to send written correspondence, they gave it great care and attention.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Ancient Egypt had cursive for general-purpose writing from pretty much the moment the civilization started. We're the odd ones for not writing in cursive any more.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Ancient Egypt had cursive for general-purpose writing from pretty much the moment the civilization started. We're the odd ones for not writing in cursive any more.

Well that clinches it

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Hieratic is a good example of the existence of cursive in antiquity but a bad example of widely-understood shorthand, since literacy was not common and required years of special training. Even modern Egyptologists have more difficulty with it than with hieroglyphic script. I suspect that cursive has always been harder to read than printing, absent years of habituation.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Goldfinch posted:

I'll second this question... I've searched in my area, and all I can find are ballet/jazz dance classes for kids. If there isn't a thread, is there anyone in this thread with hot tips on how to actually get started, or is the answer just "move to a bigger city that actually has dance lessons for adults"?

Sometimes you can ask the studios where they give children's lessons and you might be able to see if there's an unlisted adult course? I've known a couple dance instructors and they were able to give a couple one-off lessons in their spare time between school courses, but that might just be them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Van Dis posted:

Hieratic is a good example of the existence of cursive in antiquity but a bad example of widely-understood shorthand, since literacy was not common and required years of special training. Even modern Egyptologists have more difficulty with it than with hieroglyphic script. I suspect that cursive has always been harder to read than printing, absent years of habituation.

Well yeah, but all that matters are those that are literate (the illiterate are, by definition, not trying to understand it), and for pretty much all of history those people have been writing cursive, and so the habituation was inherent.

And no matter what system of writing is used, there are always people that write incredibly legibly, and incredibly illegibly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What the hell is a "tankie"?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Leal posted:

What the hell is a "tankie"?

Origin is in British politics, referring to people who were so hard to the left that they would be apologists for (specifically at the time, the USSR) Communist powers sending in the tanks to suppress dissent. The first time in major print I can find referenced is in The Guardian and referring to Leftists who supported the USSR intervention into Afghanistan.

I always believed it had an earlier history, referring to the USSR sending in the tanks to suppress Czechoslovakia in the late 60s, but seemingly it isn't that old.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jeza posted:

Origin is in British politics, referring to people who were so hard to the left that they would be apologists for (specifically at the time, the USSR) Communist powers sending in the tanks to suppress dissent. The first time in major print I can find referenced is in The Guardian and referring to Leftists who supported the USSR intervention into Afghanistan.

I always believed it had an earlier history, referring to the USSR sending in the tanks to suppress Czechoslovakia in the late 60s, but seemingly it isn't that old.

Thank you.

So of course its been warped on the internet to "Person who disagrees with me"?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Leal posted:

Thank you.

So of course its been warped on the internet to "Person who disagrees with me"?

Pretty much, but if it's used to criticise somebody not on the Left it would be used way too loosely. It's very specifically aimed at Leftists. Even on the Left, to be considered a 'tankie' is basically close to lunatic fringe. It's basically being pro-Left wing powers no matter the human cost, on principle. Modern equivalent might be those who are supportive of the regime in Venezuela.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
How long does Antabuse take to get out of your system?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Robokomodo posted:

How long does Antabuse take to get out of your system?
Most of it's gone after a week.

Are you looking for this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Goldfinch posted:

Don't just limit yourself to looking at studios. If you're anywhere near a college/university, it's probable they have a swing dance club (and possibly ballroom as well). Or your area might have one. These sorts of clubs usually have a weekly lesson + social dance and it's usually less than $15 per person for the evening. The one thing that may be a drawback for you (other than maybe college kids) is they tend to strongly encourage rotating during the lesson, so you dance with several people.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Tiggum posted:

This may be an Australia-specific thing but it's definitely how I was taught (in the early 90s) and they were still teaching it in the primary school I visited recently.

Parts of Australia, maybe, but neither my kids nor I were taught to write like that. New South Wales for reference.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

You may save a bit of time writing in cursive, but then you're forcing the reader to take that extra time, or more, to puzzle out what the hell your scrawl says. That's why I've always regarded cursive writing as a little rude. "I don't care enough to write legible words; I'm putting all the burden on you to figure out these cryptic squiggles."

It IS possible to write legible cursive but no one does, except possibly for elementary school teachers. If you print out actual letters instead, it'll still be perfectly readable even if you're a little sloppy.

Eh, that depends on the person. Once you get accustomed to a certain person's handwriting it becomes much easier to read it. In the past penmanship was A Very Big Deal so you were supposed to make your writing look nice. Granted that was also a time when most people weren't literate so knowing how to read was also A Very Big Deal. Well-written cursive is very readable.

Now, I'm not going to claim that my writing is beautiful. It isn't. My cursive has been described as "a horrible crime against nature" and to be honest I agree. I find printing tedious and cramp-inducing so if I have to send anybody something on paper I probably just type it. Unless it's signing my name on a document or writing some crap on a form. My signature is an incomprehensible scribble at this point but I can make stuff like my rent check at least vaguely legible.

I really do get why cursive isn't being taught anymore, though. Basically everything is typed these days and things are going more electronic than paper. I'd say that's a good thing though it was funny when I went to college and some of the people I was there with were like "whoa dude, you handwriting is like this cool script!" Mind that I started college at almost 30 and had no idea that they weren't teaching kids cursive anymore in a lot of places.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Goldfinch posted:

Often colleges will have some sort of swing, salsa, or tango club. I've had poor luck getting results in google when searching for dance classes, but "social dancing" or a searching for a specific dance + your city name sometimes works. All the teachers I've taken lessons from or worked with also organize weekly dances at local bars or clubs. You might get somewhere by calling the local bars and asking if they have dance nights.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dupersaurus posted:

We're also the odd ones for not having polio. I think we're doing OK on the balance of things.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently got a Weber grill, but the casters are too small to roll across my lawn very easily (I plan to keep it in the shed). I went to Lowe's to look for larger casters to replace the existing ones, but I couldn't find anything that would fit the existing drilled holes, and I'd rather not try to drill new holes if I can avoid it. The wheels of the current casters are more or less what you'd find on an office chair: two plastic circles attached to a central axle. I'd like a single wheel per caster and preferably rubber. Any ideas where I could look to try to find such a thing? I've included a tracing of the plate of the caster if it's any help.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I recently got a Weber grill, but the casters are too small to roll across my lawn very easily (I plan to keep it in the shed). I went to Lowe's to look for larger casters to replace the existing ones, but I couldn't find anything that would fit the existing drilled holes, and I'd rather not try to drill new holes if I can avoid it. The wheels of the current casters are more or less what you'd find on an office chair: two plastic circles attached to a central axle. I'd like a single wheel per caster and preferably rubber. Any ideas where I could look to try to find such a thing? I've included a tracing of the plate of the caster if it's any help.

Try McMaster-Carr or Global Industrial, maybe Grainger.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Playback on VLC media player, just some video files on my hard drive. I've noticed it will fail to refresh fast enough (I don't really know the right term) in some videos, especially if there's a lot of black. I know it's not a problem with the video file or the display because it plays back fine on Windows Media Player. Anyone know what might be causing this problem, or is there a better open source media player out there people recommend?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some recent update to Windows 10 seems to have added limited support for controlling Windows with an XBox controller and it's conflicting with JoyToKey, which I have set up for the same purpose. I'd like to turn off the built-in support and just use JoyToKey but I can't find the settings for it. Does anyone know where they are?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Memento posted:

Playback on VLC media player, just some video files on my hard drive. I've noticed it will fail to refresh fast enough (I don't really know the right term) in some videos, especially if there's a lot of black. I know it's not a problem with the video file or the display because it plays back fine on Windows Media Player. Anyone know what might be causing this problem, or is there a better open source media player out there people recommend?

Media Player Classic is a pretty basic player that will handle most formats.

If it works in WMP, why are you looking for an alternative? Or is this just a perfectly valid "I don't like WMP" thing?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does anyone rent out Xboxes/PS4s? I have a PC but want to play some NHL/MLB games since I played them as a kid, but I don’t own the console. All the google results are from places like Rent a Center, but I’m looking more like how Blockbuster used to rent consoles.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does anyone rent out Xboxes/PS4s? I have a PC but want to play some NHL/MLB games since I played them as a kid, but I don’t own the console. All the google results are from places like Rent a Center, but I’m looking more like how Blockbuster used to rent consoles.

It's a bit of a long shot, but if you have a Family Video chain in your area they rent games and consoles. They appear to be pretty much WI, IL, MI, but have pretty good coverage there. https://www.familyvideo.com/storelocator/

Otherwise maybe search for Video Game Rentals by me

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
With big crush on Chad OMG's regdate, it's unlikely that they are in college, but some libraries, and many colleges (either in their library or some technology office/center) do rent out video game systems.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I don't think you can take them with you, but check your local library/university. The ones in my area have been upgrading and have lots of technology available for rent/booking

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thanks friends.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can rent any game system from Walmart, they charge $0 for a 90-day period.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

uwaeve posted:

You can rent any game system from Walmart, they charge $0 for a 90-day period.

I don't believe you should be telling people to commit retail fraud in this thread.

Edit VV: I figured he was saying to buy it and return within 90 days. That IS retail fraud if you are doing it for the sole purpose of "renting" it.

Edit 2:

Wikipedia Page on retail Fraud posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud
Return abuse is a form of "friendly fraud" where someone purchases products without intending to keep them.[2] Perhaps the most well-known form of this abuse is "wardrobing" or "free renting" – in which the person makes a purchase, uses the product(s), and then returns the merchandise.[3][4]

Trastion fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 1, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Trastion posted:

I don't believe you should be telling people to commit retail fraud in this thread.

I don't believe that's retail fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Costco return policy is like a feature people use of the membership, so I imagine it's not fraud on a level anyone cares about. Yeah, costco that poo poo, take it back because it was an impulse buy but doesn't play 4k and isn't future proof, a legitimate reason, and now you don't see yourself using it enough to justify a purchase of the Pro model. Nobody will ask for a plausible story that I just gave you.

Capitalism frauds every one of us a million times a year in the other direction, using the loopholes corporations create themselves isn't wrong, and the other option is simply screwing yourself over for immaterial theoretical moral high ground in an uncaring world that will gladly let you starve.

Play your hockey games on the cheap my man and feel no remorse.