Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just got a free copy each of Istanbul and Commissioned. What's thread thoughts? Worth keeping either, or trade/sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rated 7.31, 118th best game on BGG according to goons :v:

but yeah, it's generally well regarded and I can't think of any newer games that are similar, so it's uniqueness might be worth diving into.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yamatai Yokohama was meant to be similar to Istanbul right?

Either way Istanbul is absolutely worth checking out.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Chill la Chill posted:

So is antiquity not up there because you guys don't like it or that it's so old since the original print run that you haven't played it enough to give it a rating yet?

nvm I was looking at the wrong thing. It should be higher :mad:

Antiquity is a good game but my least favorite splotter, fight me :)

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol I wish. I have to run a query on my personal account then update the items one at a time by typing in the score on the goon account. I’ll do it every so often but there’s no real time way to do it without creating our own database and code like /r/boardgames has.

This is not surprising since Reddit is the worst, but 3 of the SA Top 5 do not appear in the Reddit Top 100.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rydiafan posted:

I just got a free copy each of Istanbul and Commissioned. What's thread thoughts? Worth keeping either, or trade/sell?

Commissioned is actually kinda neat! I've played it a few times, and it's challenging. I can describe it best as "Pandemic where you are the disease."

It has a light deckbuilder aspect, it's co-op, and there's lots of opportunity to make Rod and Todd jokes (I'm clothing the leper!). It also has anti-quarterbacking rules. It has a good niche as a 6-player coop. Offhand the only other that comes to mind is Flash Point, but they're not even comparable games.

I would play it again, but I recognize that it's not for everyone. It is much better of a game than you'd guess by reading the description on the box, though. It's probably not going to be fun if the theme doesn't interest your group on some level, whether historical, religious, or cartoonishly ironic.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yamatai Yokohama was meant to be similar to Istanbul right?

Either way Istanbul is absolutely worth checking out.

Yah, Istanbul + M&B is way better though in our opinion. Better variety, the race and movement puzzle are more interesting, less point salady. Yokohama is good but feels to me more like a generic contract fulfillment euro with a spatial element.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok I figured out a way to make all this data searchable for everyone else. I took the top 150 games (I'll add more later) with > 8 ratings (5% of the sample size) from my geek buddylist ratings and made a new BGG account with those games and their accompanying ratings. You can then go to advanced search on BGG and plugin the account name (SAGoons) and then sort by whatever metric you want (mechanics, designer, player count, etc). I listed base games by their highest position via expansions or deluxe boxes and removed the rest (so Dominion is ranked by the highest and the rest are omitted for brevity). It's not perfect but it's the best I can do without getting into github jankery.

The practical use of this is to give better recommendations when people ask for specific games or general questions or just wonder about the threads' thoughts on a specific game. And as we already saw with the earlier results, we're pretty much all in agreement that this is a better sampling of quality games than BGG at large.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/SAGoons

Top 150 by Goon rank

https://boardgamegeek.com/collectio...btype=boardgame

Graphic of the top 50

Advanced search for weight, player count, age, mechanics, etc:

Hope this is interesting or helpful, because I'm not going back on BGG for a long time :v:

for better or worse I already own most of these games :cripes:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pandemic Iberia isn’t very good, right? it’s only $16 at MM, and we don’t have any version of Pandemic in the House, but would I be better off just picking up vanilla?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Boxman posted:

Pandemic Iberia isn’t very good, right? it’s only $16 at MM, and we don’t have any version of Pandemic in the House, but would I be better off just picking up vanilla?

It's not fantastic, no, but I personally prefer it to vanilla. I don't like Pandemic in general though, as I kind of hate cooperative games that lend themselves to a group dictating your turn to you or one player quarterbacking the rest, so it's entirely possible that the new map and couple of new mechanics were enough of a change that it made it bearable for me. I suspect with my group I'd probably hate it by game four or five anyway.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't like Pandemic in general though, as I kind of hate cooperative games that lend themselves to a group dictating your turn to you or one player quarterbacking the rest,
You must assert dominance. Be the alpha gamer.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

You must assert dominance. Be the alpha gamer.

To be honest if I ever feel there's a cooperative board game that actively benefits from having one person taking it over and telling the other players what to do for an optimal win, I usually just play it solo. Or don't play it at all, usually, since to me that kind of screams lovely game design. I can give Pandemic a pass because it was the first co-op game of that style to make it big, plus that kind of quarterbacking only tends to come about after someone has multiple plays under their belt, and there's enough unpredictability to make it hard for one person to run the game without disagreement. But just about any game that's followed and still can be taken over by one player is a bad game in my book.

I totally acknowledge that's a matter of opinion, though. I really don't like heavily deterministic games, and actively dislike any game that gives the players freedom to take twenty minutes on their turn to figure out what the absolute most optimal play would be. Chess is my personal hellscape as a result.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I totally acknowledge that's a matter of opinion, though. I really don't like heavily deterministic games, and actively dislike any game that gives the players freedom to take twenty minutes on their turn to figure out what the absolute most optimal play would be. Chess is my personal hellscape as a result.

Five Tribes is similarly diabolical.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
There's a reason chess clocks are a thing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

There's a reason chess clocks are a thing.

We own a few games that I only ever play if people agree to using a turn timer. I just don't enjoy games that are explicitly meant to be puzzled out to find the best possible move at any moment, that doesn't feel engaging to me. Hell, it doesn't feel like a game to me, more often than not, just an overly-elaborate logic puzzle. I get that it's 100% preference, and that a lot of my lack of enjoyment comes from my lack of patience to puzzle that poo poo out myself.

I will say playing some highly deterministic games with a turn timer can be a lot of fun, though some people go into absolute fits if you take away their freedom to mentally work through every possible permutation until they find the best one, and force them to just go on their snap judgement of what's probably the best move.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ricochet Robots when played rules as written works that way and it's pretty good for what it is.

Galaxy Trucker is good when people actually flip the timer, even better when one person is like "Wait. Wait. No. You actually flip the timer? No! I'm not done!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm quite bad at board games because I tend to use snap judgements when I feel like my thinking is taking up too much of other people's time - I'd rather have it that way than what happens when I game with certain people and am basically holding my head in their hands as they talk out every single possible choice they could make.

silvergoose posted:

Galaxy Trucker is good when people actually flip the timer, even better when one person is like "Wait. Wait. No. You actually flip the timer? No! I'm not done!"

gently caress yeah, flip that timer erryday. I'll have half a ship and I'll still flip the timer if it means making someone else sweat.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Ricochet Robots when played rules as written works that way and it's pretty good for what it is.

That's me, I'm the timer troll, I play Galaxy Trucker exclusively to make people hate me. Thankfully my group really enjoys the game and embraces it as a "watch you ship disintegrate and laugh" simulator, rather than any real strategic endeavor, so it works out. I also like Ricochet Robots, though I'm comically terrible at it (not surprising given, as I said, I despise deterministic games)

Morpheus posted:

I'm quite bad at board games because I tend to use snap judgements when I feel like my thinking is taking up too much of other people's time - I'd rather have it that way than what happens when I game with certain people and am basically holding my head in their hands as they talk out every single possible choice they could make.

That's also me to a T. I really hate games taking up more time than they need to-- taking your time and enjoying the experience is great, but beating every single turn into submission through the power of logic gets extremely tiresome for me. It's partially that I don't like taking up other people's time to do my own mental acrobatics, and partially that I may just genuinely be terrible at board games.

I get a lot of fun out of dexterity games, so I'm guessing it's mostly the latter.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You can also ask Lorini for her thoughts

(paraphrasing, AP is a sin, just play)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

silvergoose posted:

You can also ask Lorini for her thoughts

(paraphrasing, AP is a sin, just play)

I think I'm kind of lucky that my regular group doesn't fall into that trap in most games, and the games where they do, they just play without me, hah.

This does make me think of the worst gaming experience I've ever had, though. It was around Halloween last year, and I did a number of things wrong:
-Played The Resistance for the first time ever
-with a group of very experienced Resistance players
-most of whom I did not know well at all
-including my friend's (now) ex-girlfriend who was generally a pain to play games with because she was convinced she was the best at all of them

Well, I was one of the bad guys, whatever they're called, and we ended up winning the game. But the game took an hour and a half, which seems like it's way longer than The Resistance should take, because the aforementioned ex-girlfriend insisted on verbally going through the train of logic that determined who was on which team, after every single move anyone made, just to satisfy herself that she had it right.

When she lost, she got up from the table, walked out on to the balcony, and started swearing at the top of her lungs. It apparently never occurred to her that her flawless analysis could be shattered by the fact that myself and the other bad guy were lying or that we were playing like lovely newbies because A) we were and nobody really bothered to explain the gameplay loop to us before starting and B) because we quickly figured out the game and realized if we kept making objectively dumb moves everybody would just chalk it up to us being new to the game, not us being the bad guys. She never once questioned that we might be deceiving her. In a social deduction game. It was a horrible but fascinating experience.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Alright folks. I haven't done a lot of kickstarter, but I just got my shipping survey for Container. What does this mean for expected delivery date?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

OmegaGoo posted:

Alright folks. I haven't done a lot of kickstarter, but I just got my shipping survey for Container. What does this mean for expected delivery date?

Whoa, I haven't got anything yet unless this I already filled this out a while ago and forgot about it?

Should mean its delivery is imminent but still a bit away. But as with all things in life and especially when it comes to KS games/deliveries: don't hold your breath until you actually get a "label created" type message from whoever is fulfilling it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't know about other people, but in my experience AP players are just plain slow and generally kind of thoughtless. There is no payoff to their analysis; they take all that time and cause all that eye rolling and phone checking and thousand yard staring and breaking the flow of the game just to end up making utterly average plays.

I know exactly one person who is really slow but makes consistently good and thoughtful plays. Other than that one person, all the skilled and clever players are fast as hell when they play.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

Should mean its delivery is imminent but still a bit away. But as with all things in life and especially when it comes to KS games/deliveries: don't hold your breath until you actually get a "label created" type message from whoever is fulfilling it.

I love it when fulfillment places don't use a descriptive name or identify the shipment in any way. Out of the blue I'll get a ship notification from KL LOGISTICS or whatever with a tracking number but neither the notice nor the tracking info has even a single whisper of what it is or on whose behalf it's shipping or an order number or reference or anything.

I do a lot of shipping and receiving and IDK it's just funny to me that the entire purpose of this notice and tracking info is made useless by the fact that it's impossible to actually line it up with the actual physical thing and order until after it arrives.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

I love it when fulfillment places don't use a descriptive name or identify the shipment in any way. Out of the blue I'll get a ship notification from KL LOGISTICS or whatever with a tracking number but neither the notice nor the tracking info has even a single whisper of what it is or on whose behalf it's shipping or an order number or reference or anything.

I do a lot of shipping and receiving and IDK it's just funny to me that the entire purpose of this notice and tracking info is made useless by the fact that it's impossible to actually line it up with the actual physical thing and order until after it arrives.

Same here, actually. I just look at KS deliveries or shipment notices as abstract ideas that something, at some point, is going to make its way to me, from somewhere. The less I think about it the better because for the most part there's zero point trying to pin down anything specific and I almost am happier when I come home and find a package I wasn't expecting waiting for me.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

silvergoose posted:

I let people know right off the that bat that I WILL flip the timer the second I notice it can be, if no one else does it first. I don't even care if it hurts me in the run; doing badly at Galaxy Trucker means you are having fun at Galaxy Trucker.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know about other people, but in my experience AP players are just plain slow and generally kind of thoughtless. There is no payoff to their analysis; they take all that time and cause all that eye rolling and phone checking and thousand yard staring and breaking the flow of the game just to end up making utterly average plays.

I know exactly one person who is really slow but makes consistently good and thoughtful plays. Other than that one person, all the skilled and clever players are fast as hell when they play.

There's two kind of AP, though.

The AP people get in, say, Agricola; that is the real one - tons of possible choices, very limited number of turns / actions, and very specific victory conditions that will penalize you, and probably lose you the game, if you make a serious mistake or fail to plan ahead. That's the kind of game where you have to think ahead, luck plays a pretty negligible part in the overall experience and there's a strict enough limit on actions that another player "stealing" your planned action that turn can screw you over big time and you might even have to change your whole long term plan. So, yeah, it's justifiable imo.

The AP people get in 7 wonders. That is just silly, it's a card drafting game that plays in 30 minutes with very little opportunity for a coherent long term strategy (but lots of tactical, on-the-spot decisions) for God's sake, just pick a card and go with the flow. Getting a bad card or "wasting" a turn isn't the end of the world.

I suffer from the first, because I want to make the perfect farm and avoid screwing up 3 hours of careful planning, thinking and maneuvering.

I don't suffer from the second, because who the hell cares if I lost a game of 7 wonders? Let's just shuffle the cards and play another.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Same experience here. AP is usually a symptom of a player having no idea what to do as opposed to thinking through some integral choices.

Any consensus on Keyper? Still haven't been able to try it myself and it looks like the most interesting design from him since Keyflower by a mile.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yep, there's one of those in my extended group. He will take as long in a four player game as everyone else combined, he almost never wins - although to be fair he does do reasonably well most of the time - and he always loving winds up on my table. :argh:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TorakFade posted:

There's two kind of AP, though.

The AP people get in, say, Agricola; that is the real one - tons of possible choices, very limited turns, and very specific victory conditions that will penalize you, and probably lose you the game, if you make a serious mistake or two. That's the kind of game where you HAVE to plan ahead, luck plays a pretty negligible part in the overall experience and there's a strict enough limit on actions that another player "stealing" your planned action that turn can screw you over big time and you might even have to change your whole long term plan. So, yeah, it's justifiable imo.

The AP people get in 7 wonders. That is just silly, it's a card drafting game that plays in 30 minutes for God's sake, just pick a card and go with the flow.

I suffer from the first, because I want to make the perfect farm and avoid screwing up 3 hours of careful planning, thinking and maneuvering.

I don't suffer from the second, because who the hell cares if I lost a game of 7 wonders? Let's just shuffle the cards and play another.

I don't disagree that the first form is at least understandable and maybe desirable, but based on my hate-rant for Trickerion the other day, I think I really resent game design approaches that produce things like it or Agricola.

I don't want to ever play a game that actively penalizes me or gives me a lovely experience because I screwed up in the first half-hour of a three hour game, but didn't know it at the time. I'm fine with games where other players actions lock me out of my planned method of (hopefully) winning the game, but dear god give me another route by which I can claw my way back up.

If I need to think three hours ahead to make a game enjoyable, that reads to me as more an exercise of figuring out who can plan the best, or who has played the game the most and thereby knows what the less obvious gotchas are. I get that the solution here is "well just don't play Agricola or games like it" but I guess I kind of resent the fact that a couple of game designers I'm friends with hold it up as the golden boy of euro game design.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't disagree that the first form is at least understandable and maybe desirable, but based on my hate-rant for Trickerion the other day, I think I really resent game design approaches that produce things like it or Agricola.

I don't want to ever play a game that actively penalizes me or gives me a lovely experience because I screwed up in the first half-hour of a three hour game, but didn't know it at the time. I'm fine with games where other players actions lock me out of my planned method of (hopefully) winning the game, but dear god give me another route by which I can claw my way back up.

If I need to think three hours ahead to make a game enjoyable, that reads to me as more an exercise of figuring out who can plan the best, or who has played the game the most and thereby knows what the less obvious gotchas are. I get that the solution here is "well just don't play Agricola or games like it" but I guess I kind of resent the fact that a couple of game designers I'm friends with hold it up as the golden boy of euro game design.

Play Feast. ;)

Seriously, if I think of a game that the solution to "I made a mistake" is "I have to take a less good version of what I had planned", it's A Feast for Odin. Efficiency rather than single path, but also not as wide open sandbox as Caverna.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Play Feast. ;)

Seriously, if I think of a game that the solution to "I made a mistake" is "I have to take a less good version of what I had planned", it's A Feast for Odin. Efficiency rather than single path, but also not as wide open sandbox as Caverna.

Feast is a brilliant evolution of Uwe's style in that instead of punishing you if you don't figure out a route to negate all of the penalties pretty much everything you do will slowly push you towards completing at least your home board by the end of the game, and unless you get greedy with other boards it's hard to end the game with a ton of bad feeling negatives. IT's also forgiving by design because of the automatic family expansion each round, so you don't ever get behind in the number of actions per round or feel forced to do certain things every game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I haven't played Caverna or Feast, but everyone I've talked to who has kind of says that unless you have some personal attachment to Agricola, there's no reason to play it over his newer games, which generally evolved the ideas in a more enjoyable way.

To be fair, I feel like I'm saying there are a ton of games out there that make the mistake Agricola does re: making you feel punished for a mistake you made earlier in the game but weren't aware of, but I honestly can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I learned the hard way not to use the Enterprise ship in Galaxy Trucker. My friend who was new to the game got hit with saboteur in exactly the right spot early on to cut the ship in half, making her lose all of her engines, followed immediately by an open space card like, right at the beginning of the round. Galaxy Trucker is just a game where stuff like that happens sometimes and she was a good sport about it but I still felt bad at just this instant 360 no scope headshot into get fuckedville.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah I haven't played Caverna or Feast, but everyone I've talked to who has kind of says that unless you have some personal attachment to Agricola, there's no reason to play it over his newer games, which generally evolved the ideas in a more enjoyable way.

To be fair, I feel like I'm saying there are a ton of games out there that make the mistake Agricola does re: making you feel punished for a mistake you made earlier in the game but weren't aware of, but I honestly can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Go springs to mind. :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MockingQuantum posted:

A wrong first hire in FCM makes the game basically unplayable.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Since Ricochet Robots was brought up on this page I'm going to mention that there is a free mobile game based on the Friday the 13th movies that is essentially Ricochet Robots, except you only move one of the robots, and it brutally murders the other robots when it contacts them.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Man it's impossible to find a copy of spirit island. 148 bucks on amazon wtf. When's the next print run?

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I’m looking for a grand adventure game to play with my 7-year old son. We’ve been playing Gloomhaven, and he enjoys it, but he has a little trouble with the depth and breadth of the combat. I’d like something a little less tactical, more along the lines of runebound but simpler. I’ve considered Talisman, but surely there must be a better option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

tekz posted:

Man it's impossible to find a copy of spirit island. 148 bucks on amazon wtf. When's the next print run?

https://www.cardhaus.com/spirit-island/ -- 4 left, supposed to ship soon