Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

i set up a wedding registry on amazon before we got married last year, told amazon the date of the marriage and all that, it worked fine

ever since then, long past the date the wedding actually happened, amazon's brilliant algorithms have sent me "hey you should add some stuff to your wedding registry!", "hot tips to get the most out of your wedding registry!" or the latest one I just got, "create a registry as unique as you are!"

great job guys :thumbsup:

The algorithm intentionally makes mistakes so that you don't think it's as creepily knowledgeable as it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i put facebook and twitter on the last page of my phone swipey things and turned off all notifications, they don't even get the little red dots on them.

it is GREAT!

Same, but I never had those apps in the first place!!

GREATER!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
goddamn this theranos book

p much everyone throwing money at them even with 1000 red flags saying not to, did it with the reason of "well our competitor X is dealing with them and if it becomes big we're gonna miss out so get out the checkbook"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

goddamn this theranos book

p much everyone throwing money at them even with 1000 red flags saying not to, did it with the reason of "well our competitor X is dealing with them and if it becomes big we're gonna miss out so get out the checkbook"

bubble 1.0 broke our brains

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i deleted* my facebonk account and don't use any social media ever

it is GREAT!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/pAtchSavage87/status/1001650313529524224

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol that's awesome

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1001860992769318914

Dr. Li’s concern about the implications of military contracts for Google has proved prescient. The company’s relationship with the Defense Department since it won a share of the contract for the Maven program, which uses artificial intelligence to interpret video images and could be used to improve the targeting of drone strikes, has touched off an existential crisis, according to emails and documents reviewed by The Times as well as interviews with about a dozen current and former Google employees.

It has fractured Google’s work force, fueled heated staff meetings and internal exchanges, and prompted some employees to resign. The dispute has caused grief for some senior Google officials, including Dr. Li, as they try to straddle the gap between scientists with deep moral objections and salespeople salivating over defense contracts.

Executives at DeepMind, an A.I. pioneer based in London that Google acquired in 2014, have said they are completely opposed to military and surveillance work, and employees at the lab have protested the contract. The acquisition agreement between the two companies said DeepMind technology would never be used for military or surveillance purposes.

About a dozen Google employees have resigned over the issue, which was first reported by Gizmodo. One departing engineer petitioned to rename a conference room after Clara Immerwahr, a German chemist who killed herself in 1915 after protesting the use of science in warfare. And “Do the Right Thing” stickers have appeared in Google’s New York City offices, according to company emails viewed by The Times.

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of AI, has this been posted yet?
https://blog.piekniewski.info/2018/05/28/ai-winter-is-well-on-its-way/

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Tesla control arms are made from melted down soda cans and are snapping at an alarming rate

https://twitter.com/phoennix10/status/1001620241829384192

https://twitter.com/gigantickludge/status/1001624742858711040

https://twitter.com/gigantickludge/status/1001739078088310784

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Tesla control arms are made from melted down soda cans and are snapping at an alarming rate

touch childhood in south africa -> beating the odds

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wasn't this known for a while? i seem to remember the case of a tesla suv owner complaining that a control arm broke and tesla naturally responded that they were abusing the vehicle by taking it off road (on their gravel driveway)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I think they knew there were failures but they founds the parts sheet that confirms these are cast aluminum which is horrifying everyone in the thread that works in the auto sector or metallurgy and even for a cast part they're saying the quality is dogshit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh godddd that hits the spot like hot drat roll that beautiful bean footage

tech guru starts a car company knowing nothing about building cars and starts killing people

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prisoner of waffles posted:

Not caping for literal golf courses in a desert nor any other Vegas ridiculousness, but having a massive dam nearby is pretty good for water supply

which is good considering their water table is irradiated

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Franz posted:

wasn't this known for a while? i seem to remember the case of a tesla suv owner complaining that a control arm broke and tesla naturally responded that they were abusing the vehicle by taking it off road (on their gravel driveway)

didn't they also refuse to repair the cars under warranty unless the owners agreed to sign an NDA and not to report the failure to NHTSA?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

didn't they also refuse to repair the cars under warranty unless the owners agreed to sign an NDA and not to report the failure to NHTSA?

not saying they didn't, because, lol tesla, but isn't that hellof illegal?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Significant Ant posted:

this is the country that thought making a literal water starved town Los Angeles into a major city was a good idea

south africa did the same thing with cape town, except they forgot to also build the thousand mile long water supply to make it work lomarf

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

that’s what immediately came to my mind too. even if they did such a thing, I seriously doubt it would be legal, let alone enforceable.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

oh godddd that hits the spot like hot drat roll that beautiful bean footage

tech guru starts a car company knowing nothing about building cars and starts killing people

well whats funny is he didn't even start the car company; he just bought it

whats unsurprising is the Model S, which was basically his baby vs the original founders and is something actually built entirely by Tesla vs the roadster which had a power-train by tesla and a chassis by lotus, has serious flaws because Musk micromanaged it to hell and probably ended up with an engineering department full of mostly loyal/overworking/cheap personnel rather than competent

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
any of the original founders still around? I don’t know jack poo poo about pre-musk tesla.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

any of the original founders still around? I don’t know jack poo poo about pre-musk tesla.

they were originally started by a loan from the department of energy from the same program that republicans attempted to vilify after solyndra

the loan allowed them to build/retool their fremont factory after all the private lenders turned them down

in case you might've thought that elong was actually involved in something that wasn't subsidized by the government in some way

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
musk ran eberhard out of the company i think and the other original co-founder left later afaik :shrug:

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 30, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
all of that was in the roadster era, before the model S too

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and the roadster itself piggy backed off of some other small company as well i think

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpCrkO1x-Qo&t=2715s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
news:

https://twitter.com/adamnash/status/1001631724432838657

views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean california is genually doing some good stuff but its also a huge boom-bust superstate so :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

so here's a Forbes link which I realize is about as unreliable as can be, but nothing else I can find is any better and mostly just summarizing forum posts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2016/06/09/is-tesla-trying-to-keep-owners-from-reporting-vehicle-safety-problems/#267696f56258

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
maybe nerds are so used to clicking away on EULAs and other things that it should be unsurprising that signing an NDA for warranty work regularly on your nerdcar feels normal?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

so here's a Forbes link which I realize is about as unreliable as can be, but nothing else I can find is any better and mostly just summarizing forum posts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2016/06/09/is-tesla-trying-to-keep-owners-from-reporting-vehicle-safety-problems/#267696f56258

oh, so out of warranty, but caused by manufacturing defects.

i thought they were refusing to do in-warranty repairs without agreeing to an NDA

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
internet trends report is out.

this is my fave so far: a China retailer being extremely China and putting RFID chips into shoes and readers into the floor to figure out what you look at vs buy, which is both extremely clever and lol privacy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wheany posted:

Number go up

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jimmy Carter posted:

internet trends report is out.

this is my fave so far: a China retailer being extremely China and putting RFID chips into shoes and readers into the floor to figure out what you look at vs buy, which is both extremely clever and lol privacy

or just use motion sensors? i.e. like a lot of retailers do already afaik

seriously who the gently caress is going to buy special rfid shoes so a retailer can collect data?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1001860992769318914

Dr. Li’s concern about the implications of military contracts for Google has proved prescient. The company’s relationship with the Defense Department since it won a share of the contract for the Maven program, which uses artificial intelligence to interpret video images and could be used to improve the targeting of drone strikes, has touched off an existential crisis, according to emails and documents reviewed by The Times as well as interviews with about a dozen current and former Google employees.

It has fractured Google’s work force, fueled heated staff meetings and internal exchanges, and prompted some employees to resign. The dispute has caused grief for some senior Google officials, including Dr. Li, as they try to straddle the gap between scientists with deep moral objections and salespeople salivating over defense contracts.

Executives at DeepMind, an A.I. pioneer based in London that Google acquired in 2014, have said they are completely opposed to military and surveillance work, and employees at the lab have protested the contract. The acquisition agreement between the two companies said DeepMind technology would never be used for military or surveillance purposes.

About a dozen Google employees have resigned over the issue, which was first reported by Gizmodo. One departing engineer petitioned to rename a conference room after Clara Immerwahr, a German chemist who killed herself in 1915 after protesting the use of science in warfare. And “Do the Right Thing” stickers have appeared in Google’s New York City offices, according to company emails viewed by The Times.

lol

The funny thing about this, is that afaict they just sold the generals some bog standard video classifiers and a few sales engineers to teach their other tech dorks how to do tensor flow. Like not trivial but far from a skynet awakening ai murderbot future. High margin gpu hours baby!!

The execs in charge of this just seem so intent on making themselves look as greedy and out of touch as possible. I mean, yeah, gotta get that sweet sweet gov cloud money and hit sales bonus targets, but jesus I've never seen anyone handle the optics of a thing so piss poorly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

or just use motion sensors? i.e. like a lot of retailers do already afaik

seriously who the gently caress is going to buy special rfid shoes so a retailer can collect data?

nobody, but they may own shoes that have tags in them incidental to their manufacture, distribution, or sale, or even better luxury shoes with some anti counterfeit scheme involving rfid, and you can use those tags to track just as well.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Midjack posted:

luxury shoes

look pal just because these shoes cost $350 doesn't make them luxury. that's like, the entry level price for a pair of shoes. barely decent ones

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

look pal just because these shoes cost $350 doesn't make them luxury. that's like, the entry level price for a pair of shoes. barely decent ones

i rarely pay more than 20-30 for a pair of shoes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Midjack posted:

nobody, but they may own shoes that have tags in them incidental to their manufacture, distribution, or sale, or even better luxury shoes with some anti counterfeit scheme involving rfid, and you can use those tags to track just as well.

another alternative is stuffing them into:
https://twitter.com/mashable/status/997992046643232768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

i rarely pay more than 20-30 for a pair of shoes.

are you a waiter?