Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Bholder posted:

So they basically decided to remake Fallout 4 and cut out its worst part: the story.

Which is good

Yeah, this really depends on what they are actually offering.

Fallout 3-4 with no real core story but instead a stronger focus on the survival mechanics/hardcore mechanics, with a bolstered Settlement System that actually lets you build real cities and integrates new quests/questgivers into the cities you build could be a neat concept and I'd definitely play that. As long as it still has elements like side quests, story beats, perhaps even factions. Also the same level of exploration, dungeon crawling, and base RPG mechanics/perks.

A psuedo $60 AAA version of something like Subnautica or Conan Exiles is totally cool with me.

On the other hand, if it starts with me getting a VAULTPICK that has 100% durability, and there is not a single story beat, and no real side quests in the game then it's going to be a much tougher sell. If it's still got the exploration/dungeon crawling/RPG mechanics I might grab it at $30. If it doesn't even have that and is just entirely a Rustalike, uh. Bethesda what the gently caress you doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Trying to imagine PVP in gamebryo

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, this really depends on what they are actually offering.

Fallout 3-4 with no real core story but instead a stronger focus on the survival mechanics/hardcore mechanics, with a bolstered Settlement System that actually lets you build real cities and integrates new quests/questgivers into the cities you build could be a neat concept and I'd definitely play that. As long as it still has elements like side quests, story beats, perhaps even factions. Also the same level of exploration, dungeon crawling, and base RPG mechanics/perks.

Yeah, I could actually get behind this.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rookersh posted:

kind of like a fallout dark cloud that would be neat, the clincher here is going to be always online multiplayer only or also includes a single player

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

big nipples big life posted:

Just imagine the global vats bullet time!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Every time someone uses VATS every other players game slows down.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
VATS will work using Magic: The Gathering rules where attacks will be put on the stack and resolved at the same time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

antidote posted:

Every time someone uses VATS every other players game slows down.

This will he due to lag tho

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

Dark Age of Camelot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lid posted:

VATS will work using Magic: The Gathering rules where attacks will be put on the stack and resolved at the same time.

Is this how The Matrix mmo did it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm just surprised Bethesda's making a Fallout game where modders can't save them from themselves.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm actually a big fan of F4's survival mode and would've liked to see an actual questline built around settlement building (like, imagine if building Diamond City/etc up was the premise instead of herding a bunch of no-name settlers around) so I guess I'm cautiously optimistic, but I hate MMOs so I'm still pretty wary of anything where interacting with weedgoku42069 might be a requirement. Guess we'll see.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if this is a control vault then that predates the brotherhood or the super mutants showing up, leaving only ghouls, irradiated animals and humans who have managed to survive the twenty or thirty years since the great war. My money is on the geck being used to justify the settlement building and it's a survival meter game where you build your settlement and choose whether to become raiders or some flavor of old world nostalgia faction.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm still pretty wary of anything where interacting with weedgoku42069 might be a requirement.

I know right? That guy is a real motherfucker :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what's the plus/minus on Bethesda's obligatory "faction obsessed with the old world" being a society of Confederate army cosplayers this time?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So if this is a control vault then that predates the brotherhood or the super mutants showing up, leaving only ghouls, irradiated animals and humans who have managed to survive the twenty or thirty years since the great war. My money is on the geck being used to justify the settlement building and it's a survival meter game where you build your settlement and choose whether to become raiders or some flavor of old world nostalgia faction.

I call being the faction that just roleplays as an old school baseball team

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dibs on the hedonism faction

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

unarmed naked gank squad faction reporting in

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Tim Whatley posted:

I call being the faction that just roleplays as an old school baseball team

"The DS9ers"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

I'm just surprised Bethesda's making a Fallout game where modders can't save them from themselves.

You realise PC gamers who mod are a tiny minority? Non modded Bethesda games are completely fine, mods are not a requirement.

I’ve played every Bethesda game since Morrowind vanilla on console and had a great time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lid posted:

combat doesn't use the stack :goonsay:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what's the plus/minus on Bethesda's obligatory "faction obsessed with the old world" being a society of Confederate army cosplayers this time?

west virginia wasn't in the confederacy

we will be spending 76% of our time mining coal to run our power armor though

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

popewiles posted:

"The DS9ers"

Death to the opposition!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
According to the leaks on 4Chan that called it as Fallout 76/A Survival game back in December, it's not West Virginia. It's actually going to be built along Interstate 76.

Which is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_76_(Ohio%E2%80%93New_Jersey)#/media/File:Interstate_76_E_map.png

So Pennsylvania.

Also if it is Philly, it'd be right in between F3/F4, which I think makes a decent amount of sense.

e: That also uh fits the survival dynamic, since I assume we'll be able to build a car. Having it off I-76 let's us get along the map rather quickly by driving onto the Interstate. That'll likely be a big reveal at E3 is a car.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 30, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Berke Negri posted:

west virginia wasn't in the confederacy

we will be spending 76% of our time mining coal to run our power armor though

The confederacy could always try to invade

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Rookersh posted:

According to the leaks on 4Chan that called it as Fallout 76/A Survival game back in December, it's not West Virginia. It's actually going to be built along Interstate 76.

Considering the John Denver song in the trailer I find it hard to believe that it's anywhere other than WV

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1001884086280097792?s=19

quote:

When Bethesda announced Fallout 76 with a teaser trailer this morning, promising more information at E3, it was easy to assume that the new game would be a traditional single-player role-playing game. But Fallout 76 is in fact an online survival RPG that’s heavily inspired by games like DayZ and Rust, according to three people familiar with the project.

Those people, speaking anonymously so as not to damage their careers, confirmed that Fallout 76 is an experimental new entry in the longrunning post-apocalyptic series. When Bethesda first teased the game on Tuesday morning, fans and pundits speculated that it might be a Fallout 3 remaster or a New Vegas-style spinoff in a new location, but as Kotaku reported that afternoon, it is in fact something completely new and completely different. The teaser might lead Falloutfans to believe that this is a traditional entry in the series, but according to our sources, that’s not the case.

Originally prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 with the goal of envisioning what an online Fallout game might look like, Fallout 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. One source cautioned that the gameplay is rapidly changing, like it does in many online “service” games, but that’s the core outline

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

sounds lame

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

taco_fox posted:

sounds lame

:same:

Hated the basebuilding of four, dont really like survival games either. Combine them and make them online, nooope. I prefer the story kind of game that fo3 and new Vegas were.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, if its online only, its going to bug me.

Wasn't a fan of ESO, so probably wouldn't like this, especially if its PVP.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eh, not interested. I prefer my open world sandbox RPGs to be single player affairs. As compromised as F4s story was how are they even gonna be able to implement any questing at all in ‘76.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

just going through this thread but this is a good pic

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, if its online only, its going to bug me.

Wasn't a fan of ESO, so probably wouldn't like this, especially if its PVP.

It'll probably be like any of the recent survival games and you can play it solo if you just want a building simulator.

Vault-Tec Exiles: Rusting Evolved

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's funny people were wondering it if it was gonna be a rerelease or a new mainline game and got something in the middle.

The obsidian tweet was heart breaking.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
oh god damnit i caught up with the thread and this happened instead. at least its not a battle royale?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Which is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_76_(Ohio%E2%80%93New_Jersey)#/media/File:Interstate_76_E_map.png

So Pennsylvania.

There's no reason Interstate 76 has to be in the same place in the Fallout universe as it is in ours, though.

Also I fixed your link :p

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Soul Glo posted:

combat doesn't use the stack :goonsay:

in response to your blocks of my declaration...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is Route 76 that famous that they would name a game to be sold worldwide after it? The only yank roads I know as a non American are route 666 and route 69.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lid posted:

in response to your blocks of my declaration...

that's priority, which also isn't the stack (but happens in the stack). the stack is what clears abilities and spells. damage did use the stack once upon a time, but that's thankfully long gone. combat is a step.

also what robots are you playing magic with