Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, fyi on the ghost lawyer thing. The ghost can win, too. You can sue it to leave and lose.

And now I hear there is a sequel? That's so loving awesome.

Yeah, I just sued a ghost who was sent by a rival clan to haunt my people and lost because he got paid in a sacrificed sheep.

Then I sued the rival clan that sent it, and lost because ain't no rule that says a ghost can't play basketball be sent to haunt you.

Then I raided them for restitution because seriously, gently caress those guys.

I am in love with this stupid, doofy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Got Bloodstained Curse of The Moon - It's like Castlevania 3 and the GBA/3DS castlevania's had a baby.
I like how the main dude acts like a complete rear end in a top hat to every party member he meets.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

scarycave posted:

Got Bloodstained Curse of The Moon - It's like Castlevania 3 and the GBA/3DS castlevania's had a baby.
I like how the main dude acts like a complete rear end in a top hat to every party member he meets.

I got this thinking it was the final Kickstarter funded game and was totally happy with it. Like, "Wow this actually turned out really good." Turns out the real 3dish game is coming out later.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

You can also opt to murder your potential allies to instead have the main dude absorb their souls and gain new abilities.
And nightmare mode to Curse of the Moon is technically a sequel story (only if you saved all allies, I think). It's pretty rad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Picked up Tyranny in the last Steam sale and have been playing that. I really enjoy playing as the dour adjudicator for and evil overlord's conquered realm. Lot's of little things keep popping up and I'm already getting excited to do a second playthrough.

At one point you are going through a town that is under attack and you have to slay the invaders. Once it's done, the leader of the attackers shows up to gloat about how he used the attack as a cover to steal a powerful relic. If your Athletics have been trained high enough, you can pick up a rock and throw it at him midspeech, pelting him square in the forehead and stopping him before he can go on to brag about how great he is and how foolish you are. He opens his mouth about to speak again, feels the blood running down his forehead, and thinks better of it, getting the gently caress out of there before you can do it again.

Really little thing, but I loved it as a "gently caress that guy" moment.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Blind Sally posted:

Picked up Tyranny in the last Steam sale and have been playing that. I really enjoy playing as the dour adjudicator for and evil overlord's conquered realm. Lot's of little things keep popping up and I'm already getting excited to do a second playthrough.

At one point you are going through a town that is under attack and you have to slay the invaders. Once it's done, the leader of the attackers shows up to gloat about how he used the attack as a cover to steal a powerful relic. If your Athletics have been trained high enough, you can pick up a rock and throw it at him midspeech, pelting him square in the forehead and stopping him before he can go on to brag about how great he is and how foolish you are. He opens his mouth about to speak again, feels the blood running down his forehead, and thinks better of it, getting the gently caress out of there before you can do it again.

The thing I genuinely like the most about Tyranny is how unfuckwithable the main character is. With the Conquest as part of your character creation, you already have the reputation and history of a character that is a skilled badass with the deeds to her name to prove it. You can pretty much flaunt any of your character traits, if they're high enough, and pretty much everyone will remember you as the one that committed this-or-that horrible atrocity or showed a meager instance of mercy and diplomacy in the midst of an unstoppable invasion from an omnipotent overlord. And if any NPCs forget that, you have a lot of ways to remind them of what kind of monster you are.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

The thing I genuinely like the most about Tyranny is how unfuckwithable the main character is.

Almost every dialogue choice has <glare silently> as one of the options.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I loved that in the Skyrim Dark Brotherhood questline, it was an option in almost every dialog.

Also, I realized MGSV is the spiritual successor to Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

Glad I finally unlocked the words for this:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My favorite thing from Asura's Wrath was the skippable monologues from some bosses, where a button prompt showed up saying "(B) Shut Him Up" and hitting the button resulted in you immediately punching that person in the face.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Towards the end, if you’ve been using it a lot, it shows up as a choice with a major character at a major moment.

If you choose it, they say something along the lines of “...I don’t know what I expected.”

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I tried to start playing Tyranny a bunch of times, but while the lore makes you seem like quite the badass from the start, I can't get through character creation because none of the starting 'skill expertise' really sound all that badass. I understand you're supposed to make your own spells and such, but each expertise being +6 to main skill +2-3 to minor skills and a single ability just gives me 'level 1 newbie' vibes. I'm trying to create the character blind mostly but there's no expertises there that really grab my interest.

e: oh gently caress, I just remembered I went to sleep later after trying to make a character and decided to try some kinda Dark Knight two-hander with that debuff magic thing on the side, but forgot all about it the next day, I should get on that

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 15:06 on May 31, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Tyranny MC pretty much develops into someone that can do anything and everything, you're not shoehorned into a class or specialty. Your starting expertise is mostly just the gear and skills you start the game with, but before too long you can blossom into anything good you want to do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tyranny has incomprehensibly good dialogue options and I don't why Obsidian regressed with Pillars of Eternity II again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Warframe lets you equip a melee weapon, but it's pretty simple stuff, you're no Dante or Raiden. Eventually, you come across Stance mods that change things a little bit, mostly your animations but also some different combos and reactions. At the end of the day, it's still just pressing one button, but it adds some flair :v:

https://i.imgur.com/OP4x0T4.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/0q07CgY.mp4

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I get kinda annoyed when a quick melee swipe won't kill an enemy, but then to follow up by running toward your next target, flinging an arm back to hit the previous survivor with a pistol killshot on your way out, brings the satisfaction right back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agents are GO! posted:

I loved that in the Skyrim Dark Brotherhood questline, it was an option in almost every dialog.

Also, I realized MGSV is the spiritual successor to Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

Glad I finally unlocked the words for this:

It's really a shame they fixed the weapon customization bug instead of making it a feature.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

lmao, i just got to the point where i get to confront the dickhead badguy who stole the magical artifact. one of my dialogue options is:

> [Point to where you threw the rock] "How's your head?"

this game. this fukken game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

lmao, i just got to the point where i get to confront the dickhead badguy who stole the magical artifact. one of my dialogue options is:

> [Point to where you threw the rock] "How's your head?"

this game. this fukken game.

Honestly, the only reason it didn’t do really well was being a game where the premise is “evil wins” that came out like two days after trump was elected. That kind of poo poo on the “be the bad guy” parade.

E: 11/10, so the day after everyone found out evil won IRL.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Honestly, the only reason it didn’t do really well was being a game where the premise is “evil wins” that came out like two days after trump was elected. That kind of poo poo on the “be the bad guy” parade.

E: 11/10, so the day after everyone found out evil won IRL.

Yikes, that’s like the time that Explosions In The Sky album came out on 9/11.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yikes, that’s like the time that Explosions In The Sky album came out on 9/11.

The week before, 4th September 2001. Still, pretty close.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I highly doubt that had much to do with it, it just never seemed to get nearly as much visibility and marketing as Pillars did.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

MiddleOne posted:

Tyranny has incomprehensibly good dialogue options and I don't why Obsidian regressed with Pillars of Eternity II again.

:colbert:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

MiddleOne posted:

:colbert: :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is this that lolrandom humor that is all the rage with the youths these days?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Well, i GUESS the demographic of 35-60 can technically qualify as "youth" but i sure would find a different word

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

Yeah that's definitely not a thing that's been said for like the past 20+ years.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

in Conan Exiles there's a slider to make your peepee bigger and it has physics and later on you can make a potion that makes it even bigger, past the max on the slider, and not only can Alchemists make the potions but Cooks can also make it, which is I think the only item in the game you can make with different feats

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Leal posted:

It’s the kind of exchange you’d see in a tabletop encounter during a D&D session, which is to say it’s ideal for the dialogue options you’d want to have for an old school CRPG.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Tyranny:PoE::Baldur’s Gate:Icewind Dale.

Tyranny and BG had a hefty focus on story, whereas ID and PoE were mostly about interesting combat scenarios.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Tyranny:PoE::Baldur’s Gate:Icewind Dale.

Tyranny and BG had a hefty focus on story, whereas ID and PoE were mostly about interesting combat scenarios.

In BD your party was made up of companion NPCs with their own ideas and opinions.
In ID you create your entire party manually and they have no special in-game stories.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Playing Tyranny after Fallout 4 really highlighted how much more of a sense of agency and power Tyranny provides than a lot of games. In FO4 you can become commander of a faction and they're still doing dumb, terrible things you have no control over. They're still ordering you around and you always feel like the errand boy. In Tyranny, you go in right from the start and you always feel like, even if you're not in control, you are an even player on the battlefield. People defer to you. Even your enemies have to respect the authority you wield, and when people talk down to you, you get the option to speak up. I ended up taking over the rebels and turning them into my own personal army, which felt absolutely awesome.

It also did a good job of letting you be evil in an interesting and enjoyable way. (which is good, because that was its selling point) As someone who always has a hard time being bad in games, Tyranny made it make sense within the world and the plot. I haven't played the expansion, as I heard mostly bad things, but I am hoping for a true sequel that will carry on the plot, which kind of ends abruptly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's always nice to have villains that are motivated by something other than "lol evil" or "I'm a nihilist THEREFORE KILL EVERYONE". Does Tyranny give you options for how you justify your actions to yourself? That is, does it let you see yourself as a good person even though you're doing evil things?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think so. Most of them being about "getting the job done." Even if you take the "good guy" track of endorsing the rebels in the first act, you can report it to your boss as "the other generals were incompetents, so I have taken the liberty of taking over the rebellion neither of them could suppress and forging them into avatars of the Overlord's will."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's always nice to have villains that are motivated by something other than "lol evil" or "I'm a nihilist THEREFORE KILL EVERYONE". Does Tyranny give you options for how you justify your actions to yourself? That is, does it let you see yourself as a good person even though you're doing evil things?

The entire premise of the game is that the Overlord is so omnipotent and omniscient that resistance is genuinely futile, so the justification is that you either serve Kyros or die. The background that you choose spells it out briefly -- you might be a criminal who argued your innocence so well that Tunon (the Archon of Justice or something, the head of the courts) drafts you into his service, you might be a skilled soldier that gets promoted into the armies, whatever. But I think the end result is that, whatever background you choose for yourself, you are also kind of a bad person with your own ambitions. There is no pretending that the Fatebinder is a good person pressed into doing bad things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do you end up overthrowing the guy or do you stay just some middling official the whole time because the latter never actually happens in games and sounds like it'd be more interesting than the former.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you end up overthrowing the guy or do you stay just some middling official the whole time because the latter never actually happens in games and sounds like it'd be more interesting than the former.

The end of the game involves you finding and tapping into some of the same godlike power that Kyros wields, and you can actually enact your own Edicts (the sort of supernatural cataclysms that Kyros used to conquer the world), so after you wipe out the remaining opposition in the Tiers you have the choice of either unifying everyone around you in the name of Kyros, or deciding to wage war against them because you want to be the ruler and you actually have the power to stand up to them.

Unfortunately Obsidian very obviously ran out of either time or money because all of this happens in some dialogue boxes and the game just ends before you can actually confront Kyros or even meet them in person. :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Strictly speaking, no. The game takes place in the last part of the entire continent that hasn't given in yet, which you never leave, and she/he never comes to you, so no, you don't overthrow him/her but because of plot reasons she/he sees you as a threat by the end of the game (most of the time?) because of the particular way you grow in plot-power, so the sequel hook is he/she going to deal with you one way or another.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh I gotcha. That sounds a little less cool than what the premise teased a while back, though I think I'll give it a shot next time I see a sale.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah it's the only weak part of the game really, but all of the steps leading up to it are so good it's worthwhile anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It also does that thing Obsidian do in all their new games, where some words in dialogue are highlighted, and hovering your mouse over them gives you the glossary entry.

Except one dude is psychic, and uses it to slip you secret messages.