Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

how's moonlighter

I like it a lot.

It's no bullet hell (yet? Maybe ever?) but it reminds me of Stardew Valley (items, pack management, selling) meets Enter the Gungeon (procedural dungeon).

Combat is fine. I wouldn't want to play a game that solely centered around the combat, as it is... basic (I say that with no good or bad attached to it). Much in the way Stardew mines were basic, but fine. (DOn't get me wrong, it's not Stardew simple, though... it's more robust than that...)

Selling items in the store is great. Upgrading the store, town, your gear, all great. Very addictive loop.

Anyone else playing? Do we ever get a chance to make or find a LARGER backpack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When that title came up I got a bit emotional for reasons I can quite figure. It was a good loving journey, warts and all. Also I'd say that's probably the only good cover of Stand By Me that isn't Ben E. King's original.

I agree with this. I loved my time with FFXV. I have a friend who made her first foray into gaming in decades last year. She has a 3DS and a Switch, but picked up the (pretty decent) FFXV phone port. She really enjoyed it, but I found it kinda lacking and dropped it early (partly due to that cover of Stand By Me not being there).

I also really enjoyed the endings to the main scenarios for Realm Reborn and Heavensward in FFXIV (still haven’t finished Stormblood).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Trials Fusion is also a great local online game. You can pick levels from the thousands of user made ones and race your friends through terrible, and sometimes wonderfully, designed tracks. its a good time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Does the shooting in uncharted get better in 2 and 3 on ps3? Like, im into it but the shooting is dogshit and if 2 and 3 control like this i mught just bite the bullet and get the remasters since i heard they fixed shooting in 1.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nhSR51CaWw

uncharted.avi

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

Does the shooting in uncharted get better in 2 and 3 on ps3? Like, im into it but the shooting is dogshit and if 2 and 3 control like this i mught just bite the bullet and get the remasters since i heard they fixed shooting in 1.

They all control the same, but many more options for mixups are added and the encounters become more dynamic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vikar Jerome posted:

It gets significantly better, yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shooing still sucks in 2 and 3 but I think it sucks much less because the bad guys bob and weave less

Everything about Uncharted games feels a little like controlling a drunk man made of jello

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 30, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Uncharted games are great but over the course of four games they finally go from "dogshit shooting" to "shooting that is a bare minimum level of quality for a triple a franchise."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lost Legacy was great because it more or less acknowledged Uncharted combat is kinda bleh and didn't waste too much time on long drawn-out shooty bits.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I liked how stealth takedowns often looked like the best option and I rarely had to shoot.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I tried to like uncharted so hard but it was just a dry experience for me the entire time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I skimmed over the thread and saw Uncharted mentioned, just a reminder that the enemies are not bullet sponges and most enemies in the game die to a headshot with the basic pistol

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is Xcom 2 still brutally difficult and entirely possible to set yourself up to fail unless you balance things just right for a while with your base

The strategic mode is way more forgiving compared to the first and it's harder to bungle into a crippled fail-state. With the DLC you basically have to try to lose on the strategic map because the game gives you so many options to dig yourself out of a hole

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The strategic mode is way more forgiving compared to the first and it's harder to bungle into a crippled fail-state. With the DLC you basically have to try to lose on the strategic map because the game gives you so many options to dig yourself out of a hole

It’s easy to feel like you’re hosed when the doomsday clock is like two thirds full, but once you get ways to reduce it you can knock it down big time in a hurry.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I quite like the flight suit shooting parts in Nier.

Are there any recommended shoot-em-ups like that for the PS4?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, keep playing Nier, and see if you want more by the end!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

Resogun, Nex Machina

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

Lost Legacy was great because it more or less acknowledged Uncharted combat is kinda bleh and didn't waste too much time on long drawn-out shooty bits.

By the time I got to Lost Legacy I just turned on the Auto-Aim that gives you 100% headshots

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

VideoGames posted:

Play Nex Machina at all costs

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh awesome! I own Nex Machina :D And I got resogun back when it was PS plus. Good to know I have some things to fall back on :D

(Also a spiffy new avatar!!!!)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Oh awesome! I own Nex Machina :D And I got resogun back when it was PS plus. Good to know I have some things to fall back on :D

(Also a spiffy new avatar!!!!)

Resogun; also there are rumors of Ikaruga coming to ps4.

Holy poo poo, brand nier av!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can someone link the Nier:A thread? On mobile and I can't seem to find it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

Dariusburst and Astebreed are decent PS4 shumups, Astebreed in particular is v similar to those bits in Nier A.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dangun Feveron, a vertical Japanese shmup, is on NA PSN too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

seiferguy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773002

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I apologise for putting so much of my Nier stuff here and not in the Nier thread - I am worried I will be spoiled by something or not understand a whole lot because of past Nier games.

Once I have done all the routes, then I will read the thread from start to end. I do that with most games, actually. General chat in the general threads then read the specific threads once I have completed them :)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm going to be copying information from one PS4 to another because I'm buying one and my brother is taking the old one. I'm getting conflicting information as to whether or not transferring the information wipes the files from the old PS4. Do all the save game files, Etc exist on both systems when it's done?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 30, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

seiferguy posted:

here's the imp zone thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802837&pagenumber=1

and the regular one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773002&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I apologise for putting so much of my Nier stuff here and not in the Nier thread - I am worried I will be spoiled by something or not understand a whole lot because of past Nier games.

Once I have done all the routes, then I will read the thread from start to end. I do that with most games, actually. General chat in the general threads then read the specific threads once I have completed them :)

It's probably mildly annoying to people who hated the game, but we all adore you as a mod so it cancels out.

I had a feeling your particular personality type would latch onto it pretty hard so it's exciting to read the updates.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just like reading people hype about video games even if I have no intention to play them. Good vibes good. If your wanna bitch about something for 10 pages then take it to its thread imo. I think we're all just trying to be hype and expand our horizons here OP

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I think we're all just trying to be hype and expand our horizons here OP

This forever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Re: Ending chat.

Max Payne 3’s airport level is incredible and I still get goosebumps a bit when I hear Tears.

Batman VR has a really cool ending too, which plays off of the first person psychosis type of moments they use in the other Arkham games really really well.

One a lot more obscure, Noby Noby Boy’s “ending” actually made me tear up because I wasn’t expecting it at all. It only happened really recently too, since GIRL made it to Pluto.

Booted up the game kinda buzzed to screw around and I got blind sided by probably the sweetest most heart felt dev thank you note I’ve ever read, and it just really hit me because it was a decade old letter and the whole tone of it was “we wrote this letter right before shipping the game, we’re about to send our baby into the wild and it’s a scary and exciting time! we have no idea if anyone will ever see this or if GIRL will ever make it to Pluto, but if she does, thanks so much for supporting us!”

Like, I don’t know why, but it just got to me for some reason. I love that drat game. :unsmith:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The shooting in Uncharted didn't bother me cuz I was too busy punching dudes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

The shooting in Uncharted didn't bother me cuz I was too busy punching dudes

UC3 is the best because you don't even have to shoot, instead just play hot potato with grenades.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just turn on snap to target.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm going to be copying information from one PS4 to another because I'm buying one and my brother is taking the old one. I'm getting conflicting information as to whether or not transferring the information wipes the files from the old PS4. Do all the save game files, Etc exist on both systems when it's done?

Have you considered going external? If you plug in an external drive you can select the game to bring up the informational menu for it and transfer it to the external drive. That will bring the entire game and aces etc over to the external.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

So come to think of it, what are some of y'alls favorite endings that were super, super strong for you?

Bastion and Journey had the best-feeling endings of any games I’ve played. What a good feel.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This might open up a can of words but legit Undertale's Genocide ending is the scariest god drat thing I have ever seen in a video game in my whole life. Something about it just really, really got to me and when you see that creepy little girl and hear that ambient sound when it speaks to you sent chills down my spine and my eyes started to water up. It was so drat cool. I love that route and how it expands on the lore of the game. People in the original Undertale SA thread got REALLY mad at me for saying this lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

top 5 best endings in videogames that I've played

5. The Walking Dead S1
4. NieR: Automata
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. The Last of Us
1. The Last Guardian

Honorable mention to Ico/Sotc, which are both great endings that are very consistent with the artistic vision of their respective games but are a bit more understated. They are, on the whole, better games by far than The Walking Dead could ever hope to be, but the culmination of the story between Lee and Clem is too emotional not to make the list and completely leveled me. Journey was emotional as hell, but it was more about the journey than the destination.

Teen-aged Beanpole would also list Final Fantasy 7 and Xenogears, but moreso due to emotional association with something that I played for 100s of hours before beating than because of the quality of the writing or presentation. I think they both held up pretty good for their time but predated current standards of narrative delivery in an artform that has finally learned to capitalize on its strengths. With both Xenogears and FF7 I played the game for 70-80 hours all the way to the final dungeon and then chickened out and restarted rather than watching the end. Then I watched the end after completing my second run and felt immense catharsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

beep by grandpa posted:

This might open up a can of words but legit Undertale's Genocide ending is the scariest god drat thing I have ever seen in a video game in my whole life. Something about it just really, really got to me and when you see that creepy little girl and hear that ambient sound when it speaks to you sent chills down my spine and my eyes started to water up. It was so drat cool. I love that route and how it expands on the lore of the game. People in the original Undertale SA thread got REALLY mad at me for saying this lmao

It's neat and I would have gone for it if combat wasn't so incredibly tedious and unfun to do in Undertale.