Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The hard part about Ready To Race is you don't know when the bike is going to ready itself for the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
“I’m broke!”
KTM: “what a coincidence now!”

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gorson posted:

Thank you both for guinea pigging that headlight, I've had it bookmarked for a while now. The stock light is weak and mine has a rash on it anyway. While we're talking about lighting for obscure 80's bikes, these are drop in replacements for the brake lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY4T4BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just installed these today. Thanks for the recommendation. They are awesome, eye hurting even in daylight, and I love how ruby red the tail is now.

I just love this biek ya'll I can barely contain it. It makes so many noises.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I've noticed that the high beam is mostly just a little extra light higher up, illuminating road signs further down the road, not mosquito-melter mode.

The H4 conversion LED bulb I had before definitely seemed brighter on high, but that may have just been a messy pattern. Low was about the same. In any case, I've noticed that running with this LED headlamp on high beam in the day seriously gets me noticed. Far more cars move out of the way when I'm splitting than usual -- the high beam lens is very focused and visible from a distance and I suspect the bluish tone hooks into the cop-alert part of people's brains.

e:

I bought these guys and these sockets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGM0V7E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZE8V0I/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the wiring is pretty simple. I found my posts from earlier in the thread

if you want the files to try 3d printing your own send me a pm. I'm fine sharing them with other Hawk GT ubermenschen but I don't really want them just on thingiverse or whatever.

e2: oh hah those are actually the v0.9 version. the new ones don't use the rubber stalks and just bolt directly onto the tail and headlight bucket arms. New ones look like this, minor variation

Thanks for reposting all that info. They are so bright! I don't have access to a 3d printer and also :effort: but they look rad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Just installed these today. Thanks for the recommendation. They are awesome, eye hurting even in daylight, and I love how ruby red the tail is now.

I just love this biek ya'll I can barely contain it. It makes so many noises.

Welcome to dat vtwin life

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Put a fancy light in my 82 BMW. Even though I already had an H4 LED in it, this is a major improvement. Was a bitch to fit it in there, though. 7" does not mean 7" worldwide apparently.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow, that light looks slick in there. Headlights behind slanted glass is always cool and wierd, but this is next level.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Was a bitch to fit it in there, though. 7" does not mean 7" worldwide apparently.

Please don't talk about my bedroom problems on this forum thank you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are those defroster lines on there or just a styling thing?

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Bled the brakes but more importantly put some Stompgrips on to go with my new seat. I wish I'd done the grips ages ago, they're so nice.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Kickstand bracket delivered yesterday. Installed. Fork seals delivered. Fork seal tools and fork oil delivered to my old Michigan address.

I need to get my poo poo together.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are those defroster lines on there or just a styling thing?
Styling but I have no clue why that would be considered stylish. Germans.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How else are people ten feet away supposed to know you've got sekurit duroglas(TM)??

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Additionally!

Wife’s friend came over and we dug into my DRZ. Float needle tip was fuuuucked. Drilled out the space for the extended fuel screw. It finally runs!! I missed this bike so loving much.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mounted an 18" NC30 wheel using a modified spindle. Had to shave the caliper down to clear the spokes.

Rerouted the clutch cable, wiring, and that top radiator hose back to stock locations.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
New shoes for the Interceptor - Michelin Road 5’s. Holding off on opinions for a 100 miles or so, but I really hated the OEM Dunlop Sportmax D222F’s and glad they’re gone.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

New rear tire (Dunlop Roadsmart III) and battery. I have learned valuable lessons about keeping the battery on a charger and checking tire pressure before each ride.

Battery had died in the middle of a ride a few weeks back and was toast. Good news is that I have a charger now, and realized the bike has cable management built into it, so now the charger cable peeks out from below the seat and I hook it up when not riding.

I corrected my ways on tire inflation awhile ago, but the damage was done and I only got about 6400 miles out of the previous tire.

Speaking of which - the tires and manufacturer site list their max load at 42 psi. I’m not sure if that means 42 is recommended, or not to exceed 42. My old tires recommended 36 psi.

Anyway - new bike owners, treat this as a cautionary tale and save yourself money and frustration by not being lazy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The correct tire pressure for your bike is on a label somewhere on the frame. The number written on the tire is the maximum that the manufacturer considers safe to use for any length of time, and is always way higher than what you should be running.

You might add or subtract a few PSI from the frame label figure to adjust for your weight or the road conditions, but definitely do not air them up to 45.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Yeah, 36 is what’s on the swing arm label. I wasn’t certain if that was tire- or bike- specific. I will keep running 36 on the rear. Thanks!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got to buy a new cylinder for the yz450!

Ran a ball hone through it before the scratches became really obvious. They catch a fingernail really easily, and it almost feels like it's dented in those areas. I already have a ProX piston standing by, so no big bore/high comp kit this time.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slim Pickens posted:

Ran a ball hone through it before the scratches became really obvious. They catch a fingernail really easily, and it almost feels like it's dented in those areas. I already have a ProX piston standing by, so no big bore/high comp kit this time.

Is that scoring? It almost looks like stretch cracking from detonation or super-excessive piston slap or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe a little lean on the main jet? Looks identical to every twelve o'clock boy bike I've done a rebuild on.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Finally took it out of my garage, both tires have been giving me a ton of poo poo by constantly losing air so i ordered 2 new dunlop Q3+'s. Took a really nice ride from my garage in the poconos to my place in Westchester ny, so nice to ride again. Tires both lost 10psi just on the ride back so ill get the new ones put on this week and have the shop check the rims.

Anyone doing a trackday soon in the Northeast?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Maybe a little lean on the main jet? Looks identical to every twelve o'clock boy bike I've done a rebuild on.

The exhaust valve stem seals were also ovals.

...with 23 hours on the meter :thunk:

It's much better cleaner now, valves were super stubborn and I ended up using a red scotchbrite pad with wd40 to get the carbon off. Maybe I should keep going until I get rid of that pitting in the head, though? I felt like I got the sealing surfaces gasket-ready so it didn't matter much that the combustion chamber wasn't perfect.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 22, 2018

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Pickens posted:

Got to buy a new cylinder for the yz450!

That's actually fixable http://www.usnicom.com/

I've done some work through them especially with marine engines and their stuff is top notch.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 22, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

The exhaust valve stem seals were also ovals.

...with 23 hours on the meter :thunk:

It's much better cleaner now, valves were super stubborn and I ended up using a red scotchbrite pad with wd40 to get the carbon off. Maybe I should keep going until I get rid of that pitting in the head, though? I felt like I got the sealing surfaces gasket-ready so it didn't matter much that the combustion chamber wasn't perfect.

You've already put in more effort than most dirt bike shops, it'll be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When will yamaha drop the 5 valve thing? It can’t make that much of a difference for the added complexity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haven't they already dropped it? I thought when the backwards head went away so did the extra valve.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Haven't they already dropped it? I thought when the backwards head went away so did the extra valve.

the 2016+ Yamaha WR450s are 4 valve, not sure when they changed it on the YZF but I think it was a year or two earlier

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
For real? I thought they gave up on that years back. Pretty sure they gave up on it in their GP bikes some time ago

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The R1 went 16v about a century ago but their dirt stuff soldiered on well into the 10's.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Spent a good 5 minutes trying to find the oil drain bolt on my tuono till I remembered that it was a plug that was set in the pan and it was covered with dirt. Managed to change my oil fine after that.

Also I loosened the chain because it seems like it got tighter since I changed the rear wheel which I dont know if that's a thing or not but I don't recall it being that tight before.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Buhbuhj posted:

Spent a good 5 minutes trying to find the oil drain bolt on my tuono till I remembered that it was a plug that was set in the pan and it was covered with dirt. Managed to change my oil fine after that.

Also I loosened the chain because it seems like it got tighter since I changed the rear wheel which I dont know if that's a thing or not but I don't recall it being that tight before.

Check your chain tension often just because.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Finally got some mileage on my Motobriiz oiler on my Ducati, seems like it's working good. Judging by the mild layer of gunk around it on the swingarm and that the chain seems to need adjusting less than it used to. Also since I had it repainted my camping chair matches my bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm liking it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you repaint a camping chair??

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slavvy posted:

Why would you repaint a camping chair??

To match his Ducati(r), duh.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Pushed my naked KLR650 to the shop to let them work on the mechanical stuff while I finish painting the plastics. It's only about a 12 minute walk away and I couldn't really justify bothering my mate with a trailer, by the time he came over, we loaded it up, drove it over, unloaded it, I could have been there and back already just pushing it. Not a bad workout - slight uphill grade most of the way means it'll be easier bringing it back!

Paint stripper is making short work of the decals but the factory paint on the tank is relatively resilient. May try and snag an orbital sander from work so I can get it down to bare metal next weekend.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
"let's get two identical bikes so we can sync up service" sounded like a good idea at the time. In practice it's more like "we have two identical bikes so I have to do two identical everything". I guess it's not all that bad, the second run always goes way faster.

Last done: fork oil.

The tripmeter hub gear housing on these CRF-Xs are totally bean counter parts. I don't ride anywhere near race pace, and already a rock shattered mine about 20 hours in. I need to order a hub spacer for a CRF-R and just get a mag pickup trip computer with hour counter.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/7puDwow

Finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Since y'all are posting pics of suspension work - how much of a pain in the rear end is swapping cartridges in USD forks if you've never done it before? I'd have to buy a bunch of tools, so I'm already leaning towards just taking the forks to a shop to have them do it.