Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is there a good image editing/annotating app out there? I'm mostly looking to do things like cropping, adding annotations (Arrows, etc.) in screenshots and photos. I've used Pixlr, but I'm not a huge fan and am guessing there's something better.

Photo Editor by dev.macgyver might be a little overkill for what you need, but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Katosabi posted:

My girlfriend works for a blood donation company and she needs something better than a pen, paper, scanner, and manual input to sign up donors. Initially I considered using Excel forms to do this, but if there's an app out there that does this it would be really nice. The donors would need to be able to pick a time slot that hasn't been taken already, as well as input their necessary information. Is there anything out there close to this?

What does HIPPA say about the collection of donor information? I'm not sure if it is relevant in this case, but definitely something I'd wanna check.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Katosabi posted:

My girlfriend works for a blood donation company and she needs something better than a pen, paper, scanner, and manual input to sign up donors. Initially I considered using Excel forms to do this, but if there's an app out there that does this it would be really nice. The donors would need to be able to pick a time slot that hasn't been taken already, as well as input their necessary information. Is there anything out there close to this?

please don't help your girlfriend accidentally commit HIPAA violations (or whatever the medical privacy law is in your country)

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
blood banks are explicitly exempted from hipaa

which makes sense this is donor information not patient information

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
HIPPA doesn't apply here because it's not patient information, it's just minimal information for scheduling. They currently just do it with pen and paper which is prone to handwriting issues and takes a while for her to input.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What about MS OneNote?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

vyst posted:

What about MS OneNote?

The idea was to just have an interface without showing the rest of the other donors info.

I tried out using google forms, and I found a tutorial on how to use a spreadsheet with functions to make a diminishing list as forms are submitted so that the time slots can be reserved. It's not 100% because it takes a few seconds to update, but I think at the rate they have signups they'll be fine.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Downloaded and subscribed to Dark Sky, and I really like the design and widget. I normally have location services turned off, and now the widget only displays the message "Please enable location services". Is there a way to have the app default to a specific location for it to use? Or do location services have to be enabled at all times in order for the widget to work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Katosabi posted:

I tried out using google forms, and I found a tutorial on how to use a spreadsheet with functions to make a diminishing list as forms are submitted so that the time slots can be reserved. It's not 100% because it takes a few seconds to update, but I think at the rate they have signups they'll be fine.

That was exactly what I was going to suggest.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Katosabi posted:

Cool, this is what I had in mind when I suggested it but wasn't sure on how to do the Sheets scripting bit. Good to know that it can do what you needed.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Downloaded and subscribed to Dark Sky, and I really like the design and widget. I normally have location services turned off, and now the widget only displays the message "Please enable location services". Is there a way to have the app default to a specific location for it to use? Or do location services have to be enabled at all times in order for the widget to work?

The Current Conditions widget? Yep, you can pick a location when you add it. Hit "Search" instead of accepting "Current Location." By default they'll all display weather for your current location, since "hyper-local short term forecasts" is Dark Sky's thing, and that obviously requires knowing where you are.

(I believe you can do the same for most if not all of the other widgets too.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 1, 2018

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Molten Llama posted:

The Current Conditions widget? Yep, you can pick a location when you add it. Hit "Search" instead of accepting "Current Location." By default they'll all display weather for your current location, since "hyper-local short term forecasts" is Dark Sky's thing, and that obviously requires knowing where you are.

(I believe you can do the same for most if not all of the other widgets too.)

That did it, thanks!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Plex does podcasts now. I'm not a super heavy podcast listener so I don't have a bucket list of required features, but it has everything I need and works well, within an app I already have and love.

Since pocketcasts was bought out and will probably die the field just got a little more narrow, so if anyone was looking for an alternative, check it out.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Are there any apps that allow finer grain volume control than stock?

I switched from the wired skullcandy ink'd earbuds to their wireless counterpart and while they work just fine most of the time, on one volume level they're just slightly too quiet on while listening to some music but increasing the volume just a single step makes it so loud I can hear the music with the earbuds around my neck.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Taffer posted:

Since pocketcasts was bought out and will probably die the field just got a little more narrow, so if anyone was looking for an alternative, check it out.

Yeah, this isn't gonna happen.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Are there any apps that allow finer grain volume control than stock?

Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.precisevolume

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

Plex does podcasts now. I'm not a super heavy podcast listener so I don't have a bucket list of required features, but it has everything I need and works well, within an app I already have and love.

This is weird; I see that in the patch notes, but I added a few podcasts through the web interface and not only don't see them in the app but I don't see podcasts as a media type anywhere...

It seems very barebones and beta in the web interface at the moment as well. I think it'll be a while before it becomes a consideration to power users, assuming plex builds it out in that direction.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Probably correct, it's in beta. It's enough for me because I just listen to them occasionally on my phone. Still, plex makes great products so it'll probably be very good when it's out of beta, just mentioning it for people who may be interested.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Speaking of casually listening to podcasts...today I listened to the latest episode of Freakonomics on a Google Home Mini. First time using Assistant to listen to a podcast.

It's a remarkably low-friction way to listen.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just got a chance to play around with this, it's perfect. Thanks!

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just opted into the Android P beta and now DNS66 doesn't block ads. Is there anything like it that works?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any Something Awful apps that actually shows tweets inline instead of the link? Or is it not possible?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is there any Something Awful apps that actually shows tweets inline instead of the link? Or is it not possible?
Awful does? Might be a setting off by default.

E: don't see it in the awful settings, isn't it an option in the User CP on the forums itself?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Awful App embeds tweets, it's just not enables by default. Check settings/posts/embed and it should be in there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's in the Awful settings.

Posts > Embedding or something like that.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jesus Christ I can't believe I never saw that hidden in there. All those hours wasted clicking on tweet links :suicide:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Simplistic need, but is there a recommended timer app? I'd be fine with the stock Clock app, but I want a one tap icon on the home screen.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

me your dad posted:

Simplistic need, but is there a recommended timer app? I'd be fine with the stock Clock app, but I want a one tap icon on the home screen.

With the clock app on your home screen, long press on it. You'll see a few options come up. Now long press on "create new timer" and drag it out of the list.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks, that's perfect!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Funny, just this morning I was thinking "I wonder if this YouTube Music thing will be inexplicably missing Play Music's podcast feature and incorporate it at some later date." Sounds like I was half right:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/17453006/google-podcast-app-launch

We're not quite at "3 messaging apps at once" levels here... Well, hopefully it ends up being a better experience. I always hated how Play Music didn't have a separate search for podcasts vs. songs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been trying to use YouTube Music since I'm going to be forced to eventually and so far I think it's pretty terrible. Obviously once they have some way to port my playlists and library over it will be better but so far every time I've searched for something I've gotten some weird version without any indication. Playlists are even worse where the cover art never matches the track that's playing.

Maybe once I get into the web player I can configure some usable playlists but right now it's just bad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been using it and it's web version for awhile and it's like the prototype version of an app you whip up in a week to test feasibility.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It's so loving Google to toss out a new app lacking features instead of just slapping a new coat of paint and name on Google Music. This whole thing is a rebranding of their music service, so why not just rebrand your existing music app?

Because Google, obviously.

Or are there some new promised features that would make that not feasible?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Good afternoon thread! I asked a question in a completely different thread and I was told that it might possibly get an answer if I post it here, so here goes.

Does anyone know how to transfer data from one Google Fit account to another? I'm changing my name and identity across most things but I'd like to keep the data I've collected so far. I know I can download my data using the Google Takeout service, but it doesn't look like there's a way to then upload that data into a new account? Am I missing something? Or is it yet another example of Google.txt?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

Good afternoon thread! I asked a question in a completely different thread and I was told that it might possibly get an answer if I post it here, so here goes.

Does anyone know how to transfer data from one Google Fit account to another? I'm changing my name and identity across most things but I'd like to keep the data I've collected so far. I know I can download my data using the Google Takeout service, but it doesn't look like there's a way to then upload that data into a new account? Am I missing something? Or is it yet another example of Google.txt?

Google accounts really aren't portable in any way as they assume you're going to be the same person from birth to death. Even if you could pull the data out with a backup app of some kind it's still going to be tied to the account that put the data in there, you're not going to be able to associate it with a different account.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you're comfortable with it, I think you can log in with two Google accounts into one phone, so you could conceivably use your old identity to keep Fit data and your new one for everything else.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I might have to do that :sigh:

But seriously, what company in TYOOL 2018 doesn't think about people changing accounts? There are like a million reasons someone might want to.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google has thought about it I'm sure but they don't want you to do it.

For Googles purposes they prefer to not make it simple.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just do a fresh start. Your old data was holding you back. It doesn't take much time to aggregate some new data and make the service as usable as it was before. It's meant to be useful to newbies after all. Speaking from experience, it takes very little time before the data hoarding parts of your brain transfers attention to the new set of data and stops giving a poo poo about the old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ola posted:

Just do a fresh start. Your old data was holding you back. It doesn't take much time to aggregate some new data and make the service as usable as it was before. It's meant to be useful to newbies after all. Speaking from experience, it takes very little time before the data hoarding parts of your brain transfers attention to the new set of data and stops giving a poo poo about the old.

This is so true.

Every time I've ever had to start over on some sort of data tracking or data hoarding thing, once I got past the initial "oh noes" stage it was quite a freeing experience.