Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd still like something to specify new types of machines with Thermal Expansion's UI but using just data files. I could use something like that to, like, replace most of Galacticraft's machines with ones that can have their sides configured. Or replace AE2's inscribers with ones that don't suck.

This is basically adding custom recipes to a modpack with craft tweaker. It says a lot about the various crafting recipes employed by mods when they are invariably given custom convenience recipes by modpack developers that, in a shocking, shocking revelation, almost always utilize Thermal Expansion machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If one wished to gate access to Mekanism behind Immersive Engineering, the obvious thing would be to make Osmium unobtainable until significant progress has been made within IE. The only vector I can think of for that is the Excavator, but drilling for core samples has potential to be tedious and very not fun if the mineral deposit RNG isn’t in your favor.

Any other ideas of ways to gate Osmium? Also, I don’t want to use Game Stages, I want to set up natural roadblocks and progression paths.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

runchild posted:

If one wished to gate access to Mekanism behind Immersive Engineering, the obvious thing would be to make Osmium unobtainable until significant progress has been made within IE. The only vector I can think of for that is the Excavator, but drilling for core samples has potential to be tedious and very not fun if the mineral deposit RNG isn’t in your favor.

Any other ideas of ways to gate Osmium? Also, I don’t want to use Game Stages, I want to set up natural roadblocks and progression paths.

Make Osmium only able to be smelted in an arc furnace, maybe? Or only allow crushed osmium to be smelted, and disallow non-IE crushers, but that's still not a big problem.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

steel slag can be crushered down into a tiny/small/full osmium dust

osmium ore requires dissolving in some fluid (plant oil/ethanol/biodiesel/napalm/some custom thing that makes sense) in the Mixer to create molten osmium

osmium ore can only be mined by shooting it with a railgun

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

other ideas:

osmium can only be made in the alloy kiln (though this is available really early)

make all the foundational mekanism machines require plates or gears (JAOPCA) that you can only make in the IE metal press (requires steel, power, so medium progress)

edit: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/jaopca

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 30, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

other ideas:

osmium can only be made in the alloy kiln (though this is available really early)

make all the foundational mekanism machines require plates or gears (JAOPCA) that you can only make in the IE metal press (requires steel, power, so medium progress)

edit: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/jaopca

I like the Alloy Kiln as a low-efficiency option for those who, for whatever reason, don't want to go through the tech progression. For example, making 1 Quartz-Enriched Iron per 1 Iron and Quartz, while going whole hog with the Arc Furnace gets you an 8:1 return.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is basically adding custom recipes to a modpack with craft tweaker. It says a lot about the various crafting recipes employed by mods when they are invariably given custom convenience recipes by modpack developers that, in a shocking, shocking revelation, almost always utilize Thermal Expansion machines.

Yeah it almost is, but I'm talking about specifying a new machine with a custom front panel. I haven't checked but I'm hoping the refactoring that went into the CoFH stuff at least made it a lot easier to do this kind of thing in straight-up Java now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah it almost is, but I'm talking about specifying a new machine with a custom front panel. I haven't checked but I'm hoping the refactoring that went into the CoFH stuff at least made it a lot easier to do this kind of thing in straight-up Java now.

You could also use Modular Machinery, which lets you straight up build custom multiblocks from generic parts and whatever else you want. However, they tend to be extremely clunky to build and use, so YMMV.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the good ideas. Only time will tell if this project becomes anything more than a way for me to play some mods I’m interested in, but planning is fun, and now I’ve got a whole roadmap for a sort of SevTech Lite.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Getting there, but not yet. What you're asking for with data-driven creation is just...I mean at that point I'd write my own game.

There is a LOT of code behind the scenes that goes into those machines. Being able to specify a new one with a few lines in a json would be miraculous.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Or replace AE2's inscribers with ones that don't suck.

AE2 Stuff does this already. :|

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Exoria - short on iron? no problem! you probably have shitloads of tin, so turn it all into plates and then buckets and bung them through the induction smelter. hey presto! iron!

The exoria 1.1 patch hit just now, and this got fixed. :saddowns:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Blightfall, how would I go about getting power from an energy cell to a machine which is not directly adjacent to it? Ideally in a way that I wouldn't have to actively maintain.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Ariong posted:

In Blightfall, how would I go about getting power from an energy cell to a machine which is not directly adjacent to it? Ideally in a way that I wouldn't have to actively maintain.

Flux duct. Entry tier is leadstone, top end is resonant.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ah, thanks! Now I'm making heavy cream automatically. I just feel sorry for the poor cow.

Another question: How do I make ethereal blooms without making bottled taint? the wiki says to put the vitium in first, but that doesn't work. I just wasted like 100 essentia and didn't make a single bloom.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Ariong posted:

Ah, thanks! Now I'm making heavy cream automatically. I just feel sorry for the poor cow.

Another question: How do I make ethereal blooms without making bottled taint? the wiki says to put the vitium in first, but that doesn't work. I just wasted like 100 essentia and didn't make a single bloom.

Are you doing it in a crucible? Don’t do that, build them in an alchemical construct, where you can pipe in the exact amount of essentia.

You can get taint essentia from tentacles and goo directly, or you can submit them to the Paranormalist for bottled essence.

E: there’s also botania recipes and blood magic recipients for them

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Don't do it in the crucible. Research a bit farther down that tree and get the apparatus set up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Crucibles have a cap on how much essentia they can hold(I think 100 in TC5). The recipe's too big so you have to use the multiblock.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The Blood Magic recipe for blooms is like two silverwood leaf blocks and a diamond, by the way. Doesn't even need a shimmerleaf. You'll need to go a little into BM to make it though, but not very far. Though IMO doing Blood Magic is great anyway because a) BM armor is awesome and b) Air Sigil is the best form of flight until you get an angel ring, and the other sigils can be pretty useful too.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Speaking of Blightfall, Talonos (the creator of Blightfall) and a friend of his have been streaming themselves playing it in kind of a tutorial/re-learning/director commentary sort of way. They've been doing it every Saturday at 1:00 Eastern at https://www.twitch.tv/exactchange
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this sort of thing, but they're both remarkably bad at self-promotion so I thought I'd give them a hand.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Syka posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this sort of thing, but they're both remarkably bad at self-promotion so I thought I'd give them a hand.

You aren’t kidding, even as I’m playing through blightfall again, those streams are pretty difficult to watch.

I’ve reached that point again, where I’m terminally unable to finish. Got my mana gen, fluxfield, ae2 network, and automated infusion, and fully automated dawn machine reloads, and have just gotten bored. I don’t need to see the end again, but man it sucks that the vast majority of the cleaning it just tedious babysitting of dawn machines or totems, versus a progressive kind of satisfaction. It’s so rewarding getting to the point of having everything, then just the drudgery of cleanup detail.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
I don't remember there being a way to move the dawn machine that worked right. There was that special obsidian block you could make on the infusion table and click on with your wand to teleport the machine, which is what I used, but it was very prone to inventory desync glitches. You could mount the whole thing on an Archimedes airship, but this was prone to crashes and you had to park the ship in the same orientation as what it started with. The Applied Energistics spacial storage cells left something behind, I think it was the Thaumcraft pipes. Was there a way to move it with Blood Magic?

I ended up building an airship with a lot of regular dawn totems in the structure and a framework that I could run on while pointing an expanded purification focus at it. Viewed from above, the ship looked something like this.
___
_ |_|
|_|_
_ |_|
|_|_
_ |_|
|_|_
_ |_|

It was faster and easier to control than the dawn machine, although the tainted nodes gave me a lot of trouble because the map mod wouldn't show new taint biome immediately.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

I don't remember there being a way to move the dawn machine that worked right. There was that special obsidian block you could make on the infusion table and click on with your wand to teleport the machine, which is what I used, but it was very prone to inventory desync glitches. You could mount the whole thing on an Archimedes airship, but this was prone to crashes and you had to park the ship in the same orientation as what it started with. The Applied Energistics spacial storage cells left something behind, I think it was the Thaumcraft pipes. Was there a way to move it with Blood Magic?

I ended up building an airship with a lot of regular dawn totems in the structure and a framework that I could run on while pointing an expanded purification focus at it. Viewed from above, the ship looked something like this.
___
_ |_|
|_|_
_ |_|
|_|_
_ |_|
|_|_
_ |_|

It was faster and easier to control than the dawn machine, although the tainted nodes gave me a lot of trouble because the map mod wouldn't show new taint biome immediately.

The offering works pretty well, and I’ve got a fairly good configuration for jars that allows it to be filled from AE storage. But it’s just so boring. I got way more satisfaction from pushing back the taint bloom by bloom from my little patch of earth.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just moved the dawn machine on the airship. I specifically did not use any of the AE2 stuff to supply it with essentia, and made sure to park the airship facing the same direction each time.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
I did the full Blightfall cleanup recently in Creative mode (It's boring as hell). The Offering of Dawn is supposed to transport all the AE2 stuff with it, but it doesn't get the ME Drive. Luckily, it does get the ME Chest so you can use that as a poor substitute.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dalaram posted:

The offering works pretty well, and I’ve got a fairly good configuration for jars that allows it to be filled from AE storage. But it’s just so boring. I got way more satisfaction from pushing back the taint bloom by bloom from my little patch of earth.

Yeah I have gotten a lot more satisfaction out of tending to my little corner of the world than mass clearing hunks of land I don't care about.

It'd be kind of neat if just clearing a sufficient percentage of the land in a biome would let you quick-clear EVERYTHING else in the biome so that kind of incremental progression can lead somewhere before you jump to the Dawn Machine and mindlessly clearing huge swathes of land.

At that point though, you just mass clear the amount you have to clear then move on, and I can't think of a good way to recreate the attachment I feel with my main base that makes me care about clearing the land.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It would have been better to have the Dawn machine incrementally clear the biome out it's currently in instead of a very large swathe of area around it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite part of Exoria so far is being able to use all of the neat Botania doodads and gadgets without worrying about mana generation nonsense.

Not that can't be fun in its own right, but certainly not in this pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

My favorite part of Exoria so far is being able to use all of the neat Botania doodads and gadgets without worrying about mana generation nonsense.

Not that can't be fun in its own right, but certainly not in this pack.

It's too bad that most of it was locked away until the most recent patch, because there was no way to get fishing poles and almost no way to get spider eyes. (No spiders, only beeeees)

I heard that making terrasteel is still broken, sadly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sage Grimm posted:

It would have been better to have the Dawn machine incrementally clear the biome out it's currently in instead of a very large swathe of area around it.
Blightfall is a living example that the Dawn Machine was never intended to be used at this scale. If they had made some custom mod, changed something about Thaumcraft -- I don't know what they could have done. But meticulously moving this expensive machine around an enormous world a tiny bit at a time, then having to sit around and wait for it to work, was such a daunting and tedious task (not to mention buggy, no matter which method you chose) that I doubt I'm in the minority when I say I gave up very shortly into it, even though I'd stuck it out to get that far.
A really good pack with an ending so tedious I kept waiting for them to go "ha ha just kidding here's how it really works".

If the Dawn Machine could have been fed some massive input and then worked on a grand scale at some ludicrous speed, vaporizing blight across whole landmasses and biomes, it could have been a dramatic and deeply satisfying climax point, but given how much work every single aspect of Blightfall took to put together even up to that point, I sure can't blame them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Blightfall is a living example that the Dawn Machine was never intended to be used at this scale. If they had made some custom mod, changed something about Thaumcraft -- I don't know what they could have done. But meticulously moving this expensive machine around an enormous world a tiny bit at a time, then having to sit around and wait for it to work, was such a daunting and tedious task (not to mention buggy, no matter which method you chose) that I doubt I'm in the minority when I say I gave up very shortly into it, even though I'd stuck it out to get that far.
A really good pack with an ending so tedious I kept waiting for them to go "ha ha just kidding here's how it really works".

If the Dawn Machine could have been fed some massive input and then worked on a grand scale at some ludicrous speed, vaporizing blight across whole landmasses and biomes, it could have been a dramatic and deeply satisfying climax point, but given how much work every single aspect of Blightfall took to put together even up to that point, I sure can't blame them.

The dawn machine WAS part of a custom mod for Blightfall.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Really if it cleaned a bigger area and wasn't so drat buggy to move it would have been great.

It also acts like a chunk loader so you can just leave it there to chug along and do its thing, by the way.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I guess the restriction is just how much of the world is loaded and can be affected.

I'm not sure there's a better way for them to have done it within the limitations of the game. It's kind of the Stephen King book of modded Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The dawn machine WAS part of a custom mod for Blightfall.
Oh. Well, drat. I guess for some reason I assumed otherwise, even though I'd never run into it in normal Thaumcraft.
I'm torn between saying they did an amazing amount of work already and "well if they did that much why couldn't they increase the range to something practical".

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Thematically they should have let you return to the ship and build a dawn totem there, hook it up to the ship's reactor, and use the map room to fire a giant taint cleansing laser that covers the whole map at once.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I would have finished the routine if it could have been fed potentially even more resources to practically instantly obliterate entire chunks at a time going as far as my view distance or whatever.

Edit: I still wonder if there's something to be done with this with Betweenlands and Astral Sorcery or something else for giggles. I had thought a rather simple mechanic would be too simple, but aggregating some kind of resources into a very quick end game probably has some replayability that makes up for some of the time that would be wasted on tedium.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I would have finished the routine if it could have been fed potentially even more resources to practically instantly obliterate entire chunks at a time going as far as my view distance or whatever.

Edit: I still wonder if there's something to be done with this with Betweenlands and Astral Sorcery or something else for giggles. I had thought a rather simple mechanic would be too simple, but aggregating some kind of resources into a very quick end game probably has some replayability that makes up for some of the time that would be wasted on tedium.

After three playthroughs, I think the best answer would have been to change the behavior of the taint entirely. While the dawn machine is active, taint not only stops spreading, but actively consumes itself. Chunks that are loaded with tainted biomes slowly become whatever they were. Any taint that has a surrounding uninflected square has a chance per tick of becoming uninflected.

That still keeps the DM kind of like it is, where it needs to be fed essentia at a steady rate, but as long as it has essentia, nodes uncorrupt, trees replant, and the taint effectively withdraws from everywhere, not just the perimeter.

This way it isn’t just clearing square patches, but you can see the taint organically retreat across the map, and avoid the tedium if finding that one block that you missed. The land organically emerges from its poisoned status.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

exoria - i've not patched to the most recent version yet as i'm still manipulating bucket alchemy for tin->iron conversion, but does it fix the infinite nether quartz recipe mismatch?

you can turn 4 nether quartz into a block, which can be unpacked in a factorizer to 9 nether quartz. it's not particularly useful because of quartz's limited use in the pack, but it is nice for a compact fire-and-forget numistic dynamo setup if you need a steady trickle of power

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

exoria - i've not patched to the most recent version yet as i'm still manipulating bucket alchemy for tin->iron conversion, but does it fix the infinite nether quartz recipe mismatch?

you can turn 4 nether quartz into a block, which can be unpacked in a factorizer to 9 nether quartz. it's not particularly useful because of quartz's limited use in the pack, but it is nice for a compact fire-and-forget numistic dynamo setup if you need a steady trickle of power

Nope, it's still in. Quartz (both kinds) are dupeable by grinding them in the AE2 grindstone, then putting the resultant dust into your condenser for more than 1 quartz, so I'm not sure it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dalaram posted:

After three playthroughs, I think the best answer would have been to change the behavior of the taint entirely. While the dawn machine is active, taint not only stops spreading, but actively consumes itself. Chunks that are loaded with tainted biomes slowly become whatever they were. Any taint that has a surrounding uninflected square has a chance per tick of becoming uninflected.

That still keeps the DM kind of like it is, where it needs to be fed essentia at a steady rate, but as long as it has essentia, nodes uncorrupt, trees replant, and the taint effectively withdraws from everywhere, not just the perimeter.

This way it isn’t just clearing square patches, but you can see the taint organically retreat across the map, and avoid the tedium if finding that one block that you missed. The land organically emerges from its poisoned status.
I don't think this would work and a lot of it is because of the word "slowly". The Dawn Machine was made worse by needing to sit around at every parked stop and just twiddle your thumbs and waste essentia till it finally finished that area, and random nature/self-consuming taint would mean you have to wait for that one last patch to clear up while the RNG purges around it for the twentieth time. Something more expensive but more reliable/quick is definitely preferable.