Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

HitTheTargets posted:

Hot take: Bethesda could put together a decent story if a) they come up with something more original than "[family member] is missing" and b) they commit to telling ONLY that story without open-worlding it to death.

No one actually wants that :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reveilled posted:

Eh, i have strong memories of people arguing way back when the game came out that actually Caesar's legion had the right idea and that systems based on slavery and subjugation had a better track record in the more primitive environment of a post-apocalyptic world.

I mean those people were super loving wrong, but they (along with the ones who said that The NCR was just as bad as the Legion) definitely weren't in short supply back when New Vegas was the most recent Fallout, so I think there's a kernel of truth in the idea that (some) New Vegas fans liked talking about whether slavery might be good, maybe from a devil's advocate perspective or as a fun thought experiment, if nothing else.

Not even Caesar believes in The Legion. It's all an insane philosophical natural experiment in Hegelian Dialectics.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

expect the murderhobo, then be that murderhobo. everything else is sophistry.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bholder posted:

Bethesda tends to have good ideas but horrible execution.

It kinda shows when the best written characters in the series are from the MMO...

Look, for all the justifiable complaining people do about Bethesda (myself included) they DO mostly manage to make games that are fun and engaging, even if they never quite live up to their full potential and have terrible main plot-lines.

Fallout 4 was B-movie fun, if Fallout: 76 manages to be that level of entertaining I'll be happy (but will still nitpick it online, because that's also part of the fun of Bethesda Fallouts).

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

No one actually wants that :ssh:

:ssh: yes they do :ssh:

:ssh: :ssh: :ssh:

EDIT

:ssh: :ssh: :ssh: :ssh:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sheen Sheen posted:

No, people want everything. They want the sprawling open world to explore, and a good story, and Bethesda so far only seems to manage one at a time, with the good story coming in smaller doses with rails like Far Harbor or Shivering Isles.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

EDIT

:ssh: :ssh: :ssh: :ssh:

A non-open-world Fallout game? I didn't know we had actual Brotherhood of Steel fans posting, I put that one in the OP as a joke

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

brought to you by bawls energy drink and slipknot

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Sinteres posted:

No, people want everything. They want the sprawling open world to explore, and a good story, and Bethesda so far only seems to manage one at a time, with the good story coming in smaller doses with rails like Far Harbor or Shivering Isles.

Plenty of people realize that the occasional well-written DLC is not an adequate stand-in for an entire well-written game--it often just makes the lovely Vanilla part of the game more frustrating

Far Harbor is very good, but it doesn't remotely compare to any part of Fallout New Vegas, on its own or combined with lovely Vanilla Fallout 4

And besides--if Bethesda is only able to do one good thing at a time when making video games, maybe they should turn the Fallout series over to a company that has proven multiple times that they can make an all-encompassing good Fallout game that doesn't solely rely on people being eternally wow'd over the simple act of leaving a vault

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

A non-open-world Fallout game? I didn't know we had actual Brotherhood of Steel fans posting, I put that one in the OP as a joke

There is no :jerkbag: big enough to respond to this post

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What makes it weirder is Bethesda has no problems doing Elder Scrolls games with an anonymous protagonist and non-personal story. It’s only Fallout where they try to do family quests with pre-developed characters.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sheen Sheen posted:

It is the last time we had a multiplayer Fallout game. Also the last, curiously enough.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

You could probably find one if you really put your heart into it :)

But my point is more that even the holy trilogy of F1/2/NV were all open world games and would be markedly worse without those aspects. The only one that really even has a good solid main plot is New Vegas, F1 is pretty straightforward and basic and most of the best parts of F2 are entirely superfluous to anything involving finding a GECK or blowing up the Enclave.

Despite any caterwauling about their tragic failures Bethesda is very good at making you want to explore an open world, even if the shine wear off somewhere between 5-100 hours. Its literally the thing they're best at, and outside of fantasies of Todd Howard permanently signing over the rights to Obsidian before committing honorable seppuku they're gonna keep making Fallout games for the foreseeable future, so I'd prefer they refine that experience than try their hand at reinventing the wheel.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

What makes it weirder is Bethesda has no problems doing Elder Scrolls games with an anonymous protagonist and non-personal story. It’s only Fallout where they try to do family quests with pre-developed characters.

Even weirder is that F1/2/NV all totally go the anonymous protagonist route, with the exception of a few minor details. I have no idea why Bethesda looked at that and went "hmm, yes, give them a spouse, child, and extremely rigid personal history in this one."

'Random guy shows up to solve problems' is literally the Bethesda formula and would've worked fine in 3/4, I have no idea why they feel like they need to go against the grain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wolfsheim posted:

Even weirder is that F1/2/NV all totally go the anonymous protagonist route, with the exception of a few minor details. I have no idea why Bethesda looked at that and went "hmm, yes, give them a spouse, child, and extremely rigid personal history in this one."

'Random guy shows up to solve problems' is literally the Bethesda formula and would've worked fine in 3/4, I have no idea why they feel like they need to go against the grain.

This is why I never got into Fallout 3/4 as much as the other games and I feel dumb because it didn't dawn on me until now. Just let me be faceless dude with no clear motivations or bonds then let poo poo happen to me while I check out the world. It's fun deciding who you are and what's important to you in these kinds of games beyond choosing happy or angery react to things.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

So how about that Rage 2

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The issue is they left the anonymous world with a pre-defined character.

If they want to pre-define everything thats fine, but they have to go The Witcher route and really put effort into a concrete back story that you take part in, rather than create yourself.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

you know how in hollywood they always need to have a love interest and often have some family drama like father issues. its the same reason here. a lot of people relate to that so lazy story writers just put these things from a checklist to try to get as much appeal as possible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Iretep posted:

you know how in hollywood they always need to have a love interest and often have some family drama like father issues. its the same reason here. a lot of people relate to that so lazy story writers just put these things from a checklist to try to get as much appeal as possible.

What if you could choose in the game to have sex with a lady and have a baby, then the baby got eaten by a super mutant? Now that's motivation.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Except not really.

In all fallouts you are given a certain backstory.

You are from Vault 13/the descendent of the last MC/a courier, then you are given a personalised motivation for the first half of the game.

You need to find a waterchip/ a geck/ that rear end in a top hat Benny.

You are pretty much forced to follow up on these to progress (maybe less so in New Vegas)

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Sinteres posted:

The idea that the game needs to have everything is exactly what I'm saying is ruining it. They've tried being all games to all players, and it was a muddled mess of crafting & settlements. So yes, at this point what I want is a focused experience.

Edit: Or let me roll a Ghoul and stop trying to shove any story down my throat. But it has to be one or the other.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 31, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JBP posted:

What if you could choose in the game to have sex with a lady and have a baby, then the baby got eaten by a super mutant? Now that's motivation.

Is this a dwarf fortress mod?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

You could probably find one if you really put your heart into it :)

But my point is more that even the holy trilogy of F1/2/NV were all open world games and would be markedly worse without those aspects. The only one that really even has a good solid main plot is New Vegas, F1 is pretty straightforward and basic and most of the best parts of F2 are entirely superfluous to anything involving finding a GECK or blowing up the Enclave.

Despite any caterwauling about their tragic failures Bethesda is very good at making you want to explore an open world, even if the shine wear off somewhere between 5-100 hours. Its literally the thing they're best at, and outside of fantasies of Todd Howard permanently signing over the rights to Obsidian before committing honorable seppuku they're gonna keep making Fallout games for the foreseeable future, so I'd prefer they refine that experience than try their hand at reinventing the wheel.

I mean, I figured that "not open-worlding it to death" as written in the original quoted post meant that a game would be somewhat more focused in its scope story-wise while still having a good degree of open-worldness, a la the best Fallout games (1, 2, NV, and 3 to a lesser degree, but decidedly not 4). I think one of us (probably you) completely missed the point of the original post. Besides, I don't have too much faith in Bethesda "gaining experience" in making better Fallout games--if that was the case, then they probably wouldn't be moving away from 3 and NV in favor of doubling down on the worst aspects of 4 (base-building without some sort of gameplay incentives, probably) and cramming in lovely survival/battle royale elements or whatever don't everyone get their panties in a bunch, I'm still going to wait for the e3 demo to make further judgments of 76 (though I'm not keeping my hopes up)

(Also Bethesda has failed miserably in the exploration aspect--if you want to stop exploring a $60 open-world game after 5 hours, which was largely the case with Fallout 4 when I played it, then the game is on the same level as Mass Effect Andromeda)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iretep posted:

Man, did ANYBODY care about the Shawn plot though? Because I could not give two shits about it, and everyone I've talked to feels the same way.

I guess it's just hard to get super attached to a fake baby, don't get me wrong I like real babies just fine, but fake babies are honestly really boring: can't talk, no personality, looks like an soulless doll...not a lot going for that kid.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bholder posted:

Except not really.

You are from Vault 13/the descendent of the last MC/a courier, then you are given a personalised motivation for the first half of the game.

You are pretty much forced to follow up on these to progress (maybe less so in New Vegas)

Ehhhh kinda but only in the same sense that you're not truly a blank slate in an Elder Scrolls because you're always a prisoner and you have to talk to Cauis Cosades/go talk to Sean Bean priest guy/look into this dragon business to progress. But that's just splitting hairs, and 'you are a person from Vault 13' is a world of difference away from 'you are the 19 year-old child of James the friendly widower scientist who helped the BoS with a water project several years ago, left them to keep you safe and was eventually chased out of Vault 101 by the power-mad Overseer and you are now going to find him and help him get his project up and running again.'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bholder posted:

Except not really.

That’s still pretty minimal. The Elder Scrolls games set you as a “chosen one” with no real personality, and the Fallout games at best gave you a small amount of backstory as to where you came from before letting you decide what your personality (and in the case of New Vegas, some prior history) would be.

Fallout 3 and 4 both give you extensive prologue content that serves to establish a personality and desires. Don’t want your PC to give a poo poo about their missing family member? Too bad, virtually every dialogue option in the main quest areas will be about it and there’s no option to tell your dad “gently caress you, I’m helping the Enclave”.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

pretty sure you've got a mom, a bitchy aunt and a cousin in 2, they just don't matter

might not even have dialogue.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In Elder Scrolls: Arena you have a full backstory

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I can't believe we're on the 76th Fallout already.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bholder posted:

Except not really.

These are nowhere near comparable in how they constrict the player to giving you a family that you have to care about.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Azhais posted:

Is this a dwarf fortress mod?

Only if the woman gives birth in the middle of a battle and then clubs several Super Mutants to death with the baby.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

That’s still pretty minimal. The Elder Scrolls games set you as a “chosen one” with no real personality, and the Fallout games at best gave you a small amount of backstory as to where you came from before letting you decide what your personality (and in the case of New Vegas, some prior history) would be.

Fallout 3 and 4 both give you extensive prologue content that serves to establish a personality and desires. Don’t want your PC to give a poo poo about their missing family member? Too bad, virtually every dialogue option in the main quest areas will be about it and there’s no option to tell your dad “gently caress you, I’m helping the Enclave”.

In defence of Fallout 3, you actually play through the extensive prologue to give a poo poo about your family member.

My point was that you cannot actually say "gently caress you, I'm not helping" in other fallout games either (maybe in Fallout 1, where you get a unique game over screen if you join the Master).

Fallout 4 backstory definitely could've done better (longer prologue, actual choices in the beginning, or everyone's favourite: fake memories, you were a synth all along) but I don't see pre-definied backstories as something that would really limit you in roleplaying.

The best example to this is Baldur's Gate where you really get an elaborate backstory that's even important to the plot, yet you can still freely roleplay anyone you want.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Azhais posted:

Fallout 76 is actually about the Philadelphia 76'ers

oh poo poo.

all that mess about Brian Coangelo was the start of an ARG???

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still kind of mad that Ultima Online effectively killed Ultima.

I know it's different publishers and studios, I'm just butthurt about it still.

I play plenty of games online that didn't have a butchered single player mode, though.

Need more info but the bar is set super low for this one.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

This was, no joke, my first introduction to the Fallout series and was the first one I beat. I liked it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I play plenty of games online that didn't have a butchered single player mode, though.

Pretty sure it was Ultima 9 that killed Ultima.

Or EA... same thing really.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Buddy, you gotta let that baggage go.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

whichever number ultima: pagan was killed the series.

that thing was a piece of poo poo. crusader was dope though.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, did ANYBODY care about the Shawn plot though? Because I could not give two shits about it, and everyone I've talked to feels the same way.

I guess it's just hard to get super attached to a fake baby, don't get me wrong I like real babies just fine, but fake babies are honestly really boring: can't talk, no personality, looks like an soulless doll...not a lot going for that kid.

I would have minded it less if they gave you some more neutral voicelines but your character has to either be furious or desperate and it forces attention back to the backstory I'm trying to ignore/grind through

One small saving grace in the story is that you can just just sneak-fatman-crit-kellog without having that dumb conversation with him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A lot of Fallout 4's problems come down to them really wanting to do fully voiced protagonist.