Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

I'm kind of shocked XCOM 2 got picked. I would have thought with E3 month and God of War lighting up the charts that maybe it'd be GoW 3 Remastered or something like "hey you like the newest one? Well subscribe and see the old Kratos!"

That would stop people from buying gow4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea old god of war is so far removed from new god of war that using the old stuff to advertise it would probably do more harm than good. for me personally, I liked the new gow in spite of the old games, not because of them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

It was a lovely ripoff of a Star Trek TNG episode

Which one? I've only seen a few S2 episodes on Netflix but they've been pretty good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GoW 1-3 are good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^very :)

It’s neat how the new GoW equally benefits from either the love or dislike of the old games. You either get a satisfying evolution of gameplay and narrative still clearly tied into the old games or a departure from all of the bad poo poo in them. They did a great job ripping the series DNA apart without mocking or shaming the previous entries.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're well made games that I profoundly dislike

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s neat how the new GoW equally benefits from either the love or dislike of the old games. You either get a satisfying evolution of gameplay and narrative still clearly tied into the old games or a departure from all of the bad poo poo in them. They did a great job ripping the series DNA apart without mocking or shaming the previous entries.

I think the older games are essential to appreciating Kratos' character arc in GoW4. Even in the older games, it was clear that Kratos knew what he was becoming and hated himself for it, but the Gods just couldn't stop going out of their way to make his life an absolute hell so his rage was never-ending. By the time GoW4 takes place, it's clear that he has become ashamed of the acts he did all for the Gods and his revenge, to the point that he has to be put in multiple now-or-never scenarios in order to admit who he was to Atreus.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the older games are essential to appreciating Kratos' character arc in GoW4. Even in the older games, it was clear that Kratos knew what he was becoming and hated himself for it, but the Gods just couldn't stop going out of their way to make his life an absolute hell so his rage was never-ending. By the time GoW4 takes place, it's clear that he has become ashamed of the acts he did all for the Gods and his revenge, to the point that he has to be put in multiple now-or-never scenarios in order to admit who he was to Atreus.

For sure, but I think it’s interesting either way. If you’ve played the old games you get the story from Kratos’ point of view. If you haven’t played the old games you get Atreus’ point of view.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like the old god of war games but holy poo poo 3 had many moments where I asked why I was doing these things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think you need to have played the older games to know he's a piece of poo poo in them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think you need to have played the older games to know he's a piece of poo poo in them

If you haven't played 1-3 you'd probably go ok he was bad based on GOW, but having played them there are these moments in the game where you see a bit of the past or a reference and you're like "hahaha holy poo poo remember when Kratos cut that dudes legs off and loving stomped him to death for no discernible reason outside of being super angry haha holy poo poo good times".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The first time I used the axe to hold a door open I thought, "Well I guess it's good Kratos has this to solve puzzles now instead of a woman's corpse"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

You would need to play the older games to know that he's a piece of poo poo for reasons you're obviously not aware of.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could watch like 1 cutscene on youtube and get that. he's a really awful person before the latest game

I actually tried to watch some cutscene summary thing of the series before playing gow (it's been a while and I never played some of them like ascension) but gave up pretty early in because the edge was too much for me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They’re a lot more nuanced and story rich than you would expect from a god murder simulator. I got a lot out of GoW that I never would have if I wasn’t a fan of the other games.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you guys listen to podcasts, check out the official PlayStation podcast and go back a couple episodes when they interview Cory Barlog. There are several :unsmith: moments where he talks about how his own son inspired several of the dad & son moments in the game

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Steve Yun posted:

If you guys listen to podcasts, check out the official PlayStation podcast and go back a couple episodes when they interview Cory Barlog. There are several :unsmith: moments where he talks about how his own son inspired several of the dad & son moments in the game

He seems like such a nice person. I hope he sticks with Sony for a long time.

Polygon just put out a video of him talking about how they got the mechanics and feel of the axe to be so perfect. It’s a fun watch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rolo posted:

It finally clicked and I just clowned Slave Knight Gael with like 8 Estus left, no shield and worker garb.

drat that was a satisfying video game thing, my hands were shaking towards the end. Done with DS3 forever I guess.

It happened that way for me, too. After like 60-70 attempts (NG+ was my first run through DLC) I went to be in frustration. Woke up in the morning and did it on my first try, with 8 or 9 estus left.

My friend reminded me that I probably did upward of 300 attempts in my head while sleeping. :black101:

Kilometers Davis posted:

^very :)

On the other hand, mild interest/disinterest still ends up as mild interest/disinterest

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

He seems like such a nice person. I hope he sticks with Sony for a long time.

Polygon just put out a video of him talking about how they got the mechanics and feel of the axe to be so perfect. It’s a fun watch.

I've always liked Barlog. Even back in the GoW2 days he seemed super chill, not as 'look at me' childish as Jaffe, and not as sociopathically disconnected as Asmussen. A nice balance.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I've always liked Barlog. Even back in the GoW2 days he seemed super chill, not as 'look at me' childish as Jaffe, and not as sociopathically disconnected as Asmussen. A nice balance.

He’s a grounded individual, yeah. In the industry for the right reasons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

they're well made games that I profoundly dislike
I wouldn't even go that far, those games are loving garbage, they play like poo poo and are incredibly ugly both visually and in spirit. Absolutely no redeeming value

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

homeless snail posted:

I wouldn't even go that far, those games are loving garbage, they play like poo poo and are incredibly ugly both visually and in spirit. Absolutely no redeeming value

:ok:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could watch like 1 cutscene on youtube and get that. he's a really awful person before the latest game

I actually tried to watch some cutscene summary thing of the series before playing gow (it's been a while and I never played some of them like ascension) but gave up pretty early in because the edge was too much for me

Not for nothing, they're Greek mythology games. The gods are capricious assholes in just about any piece of ancient Greek literature you'd care to name.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, there's stories of capricious gods (they have had those for centuries) and then there's an unremitting wave of stomping on heads, ripping off limbs, rage screams, and sex minigames

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

Imagining your post in the voice of GOW 1-3’s Kratos

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

an unremitting wave of stomping on heads, ripping off limbs, rage screams, and sex minigames

Sounds like Greek myth to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Imagining your post in the voice of GOW 1-3’s Kratos
Kratos is too busy raping women and mashing the square button to vocalize informed opinions on video games

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

homeless snail posted:

Stop posting while drunk.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, there's stories of capricious gods (they have had those for centuries) and then there's an unremitting wave of stomping on heads, ripping off limbs, rage screams, and sex minigames

...pretty much all of which is consistent with what you'd read in Homer.

I'm not saying GOW 1-3 weren't pandering to some degree to 14 year olds who thought 300 was badass. They clearly were. But it's also weird to me that people are taking umbrage at this kind of content being in a game about Greek myth.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's not about content, it's about style.

When you read the Iliad you probably don't get a sense that the creator was going "Oh man this is so loving sick man, it's so badass to kill all these people and gently caress bitches"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

homeless snail posted:

Combat was awesome, as was all of the set pieces and monsters. The way the game used the environment and camera throughout the series to build up encounters and events was great. Plot was cool in a dumb brutal mythology way.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

homeless snail posted:

Kratos is too busy raping women and mashing the square button to vocalize informed opinions on video games

You can hate on the series without straight up inventing poo poo to be mad about, you know.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When you read the Iliad you probably don't get a sense that the creator was going "Oh man this is so loving sick man, it's so badass to kill all these people and gently caress bitches"

yea that's what I never liked about those games. as a teenager I tried really hard to tho. guess I thought I was supposed to? idk

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Meh. There's plenty of that just disguised in glory when you look at characters like Achilles. A Troilus and Cressida-ish deconstruction of the early GOW games would probably be cool - sounds like the new GOW game is on that track - but I guess the style never bothered me since the old games wore their influences on their sleeve. :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mentioned it in another thread but yeah the new God of War has a more Sophoclean approach to its tragedy. Like the older games are really loving juvenile about dealing with death and emotions, there is an incomparable gulf

And I'm not even saying that the new game has great storytelling, I'm saying the older ones have poo poo storytelling that is the equivalent of doodles in an ADD teenager's notebook, which Jaffe helped cement with Drawn to Death

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Drawn to Death

uuuuuggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

homeless snail posted:

Cool which game did this happen in?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JBP posted:

Cool which game did this happen in?
None of them, Kratos has never said anything about video games intelligent or otherwise, I know its hard to believe but its true

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you fine folks want a The Crew 2 closed beta invite? I have 3. It starts tomorrow in the wee hours.

I think we need to make ourselves Ubisoft friends... so.... PM me, I guess? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

homeless snail posted:

None of them, Kratos has never said anything about video games intelligent or otherwise, I know its hard to believe but its true

When did he rape women?