Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What's the difference? It's practically all eastern Europe at that point. Latitude means nothing. :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any drilling accident you can crawl away from is a good one.

https://www.facebook.com/drillersclub/videos/1970550473257114/?hc_ref=ART04j3URmJ8nrUZt-6dhgsMloA3ipocfRvVOauJrxVv6-Vgxt4b8b-mDRPr2ybksRk

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This has to be the worst job in the world. Just stand in front of this thing that could go wrong in a hundred different ways and all of them end your life.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

LifeSunDeath posted:

This has to be the worst job in the world. Just stand in front of this thing that could go wrong in a hundred different ways and all of them end your life.

I guess it would cut into the profit margins too much to just have a robot arm do this job?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1001516854341505024?s=20

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That’s like a real-life Wile E. Coyote

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You thought you were going to escape the culling? Nah buddy, I got a big loving stone for you - Love God

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

weg posted:

I guess it would cut into the profit margins too much to just have a robot arm do this job?

Well, probably Russia. I would imagine proper pipe and elevator inspections cut into the margins.

Good thing the driller set the slips after the string is long gone down hole. Very important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKzfHSRcl3I

But make sure to look, just in case gravity stopped working.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Don't get stoned when working in a hazardous environment, that's a serious OSHA issue. Bet the fucker wasn't wearing a hardhat either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Idk that hat looks rock solid.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No shoes, yep he's dead.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that didn't escalate quickly.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

So they knocked out a support column for a lift, which they then situated so that walking on the far side of it would have you walking on a 1" strip of concrete next to the pit? Which looks suspiciously like a swimming pool, since I've never seen an auto shop pit lined with anything but concrete and grime.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Say Nothing posted:

Or de-escalated, very quickly.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

da motha fucken pyroclastic z0ne

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

<taps head> escalator can't eat you if you're still in your car.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Two drunk Russian men have tried to charge their phones by throwing naked aluminum wire over a 10,000 V power line.
Oddly enough, there was only one fatality.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
are there other kinds of Russian men?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's okay, one quarter of that pillar's capacity is plenty enough to support the above floor!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

starkebn posted:

are there other kinds of Russian men?

There are two kinds of Russian men: those who have just had an accident happen to them and those waiting for it to happen to them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

It's okay, one quarter of that pillar's capacity is plenty enough to support the above floor!

hmmmm

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hey, what's that in the top left corner?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

I want to put an arch there so badly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

There are two kinds of Russian men: those who have just had an accident happen to them and those waiting for it to happen to them.

Then there's those who MAKE it happen to them:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That driver's reaction was pretty restrained by Russian dashcam standards.

"C'mon, man!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/dSUoXT1.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nice save, sure his rotator cuff will never be the same though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

never party foul

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Nice save, sure his rotator cuff will never be the same though.

Since he how has three of them.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone have any pro tips for intentionally sabotaging electronics without leaving evidence?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asproigerosis posted:

Anyone have any pro tips for intentionally sabotaging electronics without leaving evidence?

That’s a broad topic.

What do you want to do? Degrade the effectiveness of Nazi RADAR? Cause a pesky journalist’s car to careen off the road? Annoy your coworkers with intermittent failure of their computing systems?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Asproigerosis posted:

Magnets

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Platystemon posted:

That’s a broad topic.

What do you want to do? Degrade the effectiveness of Nazi RADAR? Cause a pesky journalist’s car to careen off the road? Annoy your coworkers with intermittent failure of their computing systems?

Trash these 15 year old piece of poo poo MRI coils General Electric keeps digging out of a dumpster in Milwaukee. Yes thank you for doing a deep search in the warehouse for some mothballed garbage. I can't imagine why our poo poo keeps breaking, certainly can't have anything to do with our company refusing to buy anything so we are just cycling through GE's backlog of relics. I just want to accelerate this cycle, they'll run out eventually.

Tbf, I don't think anyone would have guessed I would refer to objects built to operate in high strength magnetic fields. Maybe electronics is too generous a term, they're mostly just RF antenna for the most part.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 31, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Asproigerosis posted:

Take a connector, preferably on the power supply. Disconnect it. Barely Plug it back in at an angle.

The low surface area of the connection will heat up and hopefully arc and melt/burn good or just stop working.

It will seem like a vibration problem or shoddy manufacturing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Other than these forum posts?

Godspeed trashing that MRI machine I guess. What.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Context:

Asproigerosis posted:

Not really OSHA related, but I just wanted to complain about how lovely the power infrastructure is here. Our MRI unit is constantly having problems with software corruption and hardware failure. Had to call the field service engineer today. He's been coming to our site at least once a week and this was the third time this week. The problem this time was that all of the post processing programs were deactivated somehow. The only solution that GE knew of was to format and reinstall. Again. The dude showed me the remote RMS monitor app on his phone and one of the phases dumped down to 128 volts. I aint no electricalman, but I know that 128 isn't anywhere near 480.

I personally blame our company for being too cheap to buy a UPS or I don't know upgrade our loving equipment that is 15 years old and probably doesn't have fancy power things that safeguard against this stuff?

Asproigerosis posted:

They just abuse service contracts instead of investing in protection for the equipment. On our nuc med camera I asked the service guy why we couldn't just get a UPS so we'd stop having issues from the constant power outages. He said they tried to sell them on a UPS but corporate balked at the gargantuan cost of $5,000. At the time, he wasn't under contract, so each visit was billable. Minimum $1,000 a visit, not including the price of the chip boards that were probably last manufactured 20 years ago.

Hmm the service engineer hasn't ever mentioned anything about things in the magnet itself. I don't know a drat thing about the guts other than there is liquid helium somewhere and electricity going around some cold wires and loud noises come out and the chiller goes chirp chirp chirp. Maybe he doesn't want to frighten our simple minds. I just know I spend an awful lot of time having to reset the circuit breaker on the Power Distribution Unit after an abrupt and unexpected hard shutdown.

Asproigerosis posted:

update on my MRI unit the SCSI board on the workstation PC is fried from the power fluctuations. UPS still not an option. Enjoying dumpster diving field service engineer :patriot:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Why is this loving moron allowed near anything more expensive than a stapler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1001839538002694144

1:55 and 3:10 and 8:00 are the best bits

starkebn fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 31, 2018