Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
A repeated email conversation pissing me off:

Customer, Monday morning: Something is making <remote site> have issues doing <thing>. Please fix it, that office cannot work when this happens and is causing lots of problems.

Me, later on Monday: Mr. Customer, we have identified <problem> and need a window where we can do some maintenance to correct it that will involve extended downtime on <thing>. Would Tuesday night at 11pm work for you? If not, please let us know a good time.

Me, on Tuesday: Mr. Customer, we do need to correct <problem>, have you determined if tonight at 11pm is OK for up to an hour of downtime so we can correct this? If not, please give us a good window. We're 24/7/365 so this can be done at any time convenient for you.

Customer, Wednesday morning: <Thing> is still not working. Why didn't I get any notifications about your work last night? Why is it still broken? We need this fixed! Why do you schedule things if you are not going to do the work?!

I see this at least once a week. Said customers also never answer their phones or return calls (when we're able to leave messages, frequently their mailbox is full or not set up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

MANime in the sheets posted:

A repeated email conversation pissing me off:

Customer, Monday morning: Something is making <remote site> have issues doing <thing>. Please fix it, that office cannot work when this happens and is causing lots of problems.

Me, later on Monday: Mr. Customer, we have identified <problem> and need a window where we can do some maintenance to correct it that will involve extended downtime on <thing>. Would Tuesday night at 11pm work for you? If not, please let us know a good time.

Me, on Tuesday: Mr. Customer, we do need to correct <problem>, have you determined if tonight at 11pm is OK for up to an hour of downtime so we can correct this? If not, please give us a good window. We're 24/7/365 so this can be done at any time convenient for you.

Customer, Wednesday morning: <Thing> is still not working. Why didn't I get any notifications about your work last night? Why is it still broken? We need this fixed! Why do you schedule things if you are not going to do the work?!

I see this at least once a week. Said customers also never answer their phones or return calls (when we're able to leave messages, frequently their mailbox is full or not set up).

To be fair I can totally see a customer reading those emails as "I have scheduled the work for Tuesday at X time and will do it then unless I hear from you"

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Had to spend the better part of a day proving piles of "bugs" one of our QA guys in India found are either:

1) Him doing the wrong thing (e.g. pressing "confirm appointment" instead of "reschedule" and wondering why the appointment doesn't change), or

2) Legit bugs, but only in extremely unlikely scenarios (e.g. 4 different customers trying to book the exact same appointment slot within 0.5 seconds, which he accomplished using 4 different browsers side by side), and which have NOTHING to do with my code, they already exist in prod and no one has noticed because that poo poo will never happen.

I finish addressing each of these things, and am immediately asked, "Ok, so did you fix the adhoc script yet?"

When the gently caress do you imagine I had time to do that when I have been in constant communication with you about what turned out to be nothing :bang:

Part of the problem is this was labeled a hotfix, but it isn't. It just needs to go out before the next release because the script I'm fixing needs to run prior to a migration (deletes duplicates in a table before applying a unique constraint to stop it from happening again). But QA sees "hotfix" and thinks OMG THE SKY IS FALLING :supaburn:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PremiumSupport posted:

To be fair I can totally see a customer reading those emails as "I have scheduled the work for Tuesday at X time and will do it then unless I hear from you"

If someone can misinterpret that with so much certainty that they don't even respond to the emails then they deserve to be inconvenienced

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a weird post and the number of ways which a personal assistant could make my life easier are immeasurable.
Maybe it's a terminology thing? "Executive assistant" and "administrative assistant" don't have the slightly creepy sound of a "personal assistant." In my hospital everyone in that role is called an "admin" and it would be super weird to hear a C-level type refer to their assistant as a "personal assistant."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Had to spend the better part of a day proving piles of "bugs" one of our QA guys in India found are either:

1) Him doing the wrong thing (e.g. pressing "confirm appointment" instead of "reschedule" and wondering why the appointment doesn't change), or

2) Legit bugs, but only in extremely unlikely scenarios (e.g. 4 different customers trying to book the exact same appointment slot within 0.5 seconds, which he accomplished using 4 different browsers side by side), and which have NOTHING to do with my code, they already exist in prod and no one has noticed because that poo poo will never happen.

I finish addressing each of these things, and am immediately asked, "Ok, so did you fix the adhoc script yet?"

When the gently caress do you imagine I had time to do that when I have been in constant communication with you about what turned out to be nothing :bang:

Part of the problem is this was labeled a hotfix, but it isn't. It just needs to go out before the next release because the script I'm fixing needs to run prior to a migration (deletes duplicates in a table before applying a unique constraint to stop it from happening again). But QA sees "hotfix" and thinks OMG THE SKY IS FALLING :supaburn:
It sounds like they're telling you that whatever bugs they find are less important than whatever the adhoc script is.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A floor flooded and took out 2 floors beneath it. This require us to shuffle around a bunch of departments and I had to work a 16 hour day :catstare:.

On the bright side we got free lunch and I have two do-nothing night shifts this week to watch cabling contractors and effectively an extra day off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When I think of flood I think of

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

If someone can misinterpret that with so much certainty that they don't even respond to the emails then they deserve to be inconvenienced

I don't agree.

The customers interpretation is completely logical given the phrasing. Would I have responded to the email, yes, but an explicit response if the proposed time worked was not actually requested.

The first email was phrased as "We need downtime. I would like to do it at X, if that works for you do nothing. If X doesn't work please respond with Y"

The second email was similarly phrased: "Have you checked to see if X works for you? If you have and it works do nothing. If it doesn't work please respond with Y"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, on reading it again I would have required a response for anything to happen. I wouldn't want to take a service down because somebody hadn't responded. Though in either case if I received that message I would respond with a yes/no rather than assuming something was going to happen.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

PremiumSupport posted:

I don't agree.

The customers interpretation is completely logical given the phrasing. Would I have responded to the email, yes, but an explicit response if the proposed time worked was not actually requested.

The first email was phrased as "We need downtime. I would like to do it at X, if that works for you do nothing. If X doesn't work please respond with Y"

The second email was similarly phrased: "Have you checked to see if X works for you? If you have and it works do nothing. If it doesn't work please respond with Y"
That is not at all the interpretation. The email clearly states "does this work for you?". It requires an answer.

e:

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 30, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The problem is that

a) too many words in the same sentence
b) too many sentences
c) the question is buried

I suggest moving to this format.

----
APPROVAL REQUIRED

We propose to perform X task at Y time for Z reason.

Please confirm that this time is approved.

If you do not approve, please propose an alternate time. Work cannot begin until we have your approval.
----

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ConfusedUs posted:

The problem is that

a) too many words in the same sentence
b) too many sentences
c) the question is buried

I suggest moving to this format.

----
APPROVAL REQUIRED

We propose to perform X task at Y time for Z reason.

Please confirm that this time is approved.

If you do not approve, please propose an alternate time. Work cannot begin until we have your approval.
----

Yeah, I can see someone loving up the original thing; I wouldn't have, but people can easily mistake stuff like that.

When we propose changes for clients we use something similar to the above format.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Again, I'm going to be contrarian. If you can't read, I will not fix your thing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
CAN DO THING?

CHECK BOX

[ ] YES
[ ] OK

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Again, I'm going to be contrarian. If you can't read, I will not fix your thing.
Yeah, that's why you put "APPROVAL REQUIRED" or "Work cannot begin until we have your approval." in there instead of just saying "would you like X or would you like Y? if not, please respond"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Re: Judge Schnoopy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CAN DO THING?

CHECK BOX

[ ] YES
[ ] OK

Yes ok

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Counterpoint

People are lazy.
People are stupid.
People are inattentive.
Even the best people are sometimes lazy or stupid or inattentive.

That's why defensive design (even in your approval emails) is a good thing. Even the best person is gonna miss something, somewhere, sometime. Don't give them that chance.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MC FS in "difficult to work with" shocker

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I really try to avoid sending "if" statements to anybody. IF makes a ton of sense in IT, it's a basic function of what we do because computers process very linearly and factually. IF is either true or false, there's no in between or ambiguity or hesitation.

A lot of people get tripped up on "if" though, trying to overthink it or allow outside influences to clout their decision. They see it more as a judgement call and they don't ever want to have wrong judgement. They end up tending to avoid the question while they gather everything they need to make a perfect choice, not getting that information, and then simply ignoring your request altogether.

Even something as simple as "I like 9 PM, if that doesn't work we can do 10 PM". 9 PM SHOULD work, but why wouldn't it work? What else is going on at 9 that requires me to make this choice? What if I'm wrong and something bad happens at 9 that i could have avoided at 10? Oh god what am I even doing here gently caress this email im going on break.

"I like 9 PM. Is this ok?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Regardless of the wording I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people who want something done to put a bit of loving effort in

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clock ticks past 4pm, winding down my tasks for the day so I can be done by 5pm, get a message "hey I rebooted this machine and it didn't come back, plz fix."

Some kind of hardware issue, a simple power cycle didn't resolve anything.

"Oh this needs to be back asap, it's important and can't be offline overnight."

:fuckoff:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

"hey I rebooted this machine and it didn't come back, plz fix."
"Oh this needs to be back asap, it's important and can't be offline overnight."

"Man it sucks to be you today, but good luck fixing it! See you tomorrow!"

I could never do IT, because my go-to response for "I did dumb and broke important thing without asking the expert" is to tell them "Congrats, you get to fix the thing too." If you hired me for my expertise, then I expect you to use my expertise, and maybe ask my advice before doing voodoo rituals like power cycling it.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 30, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I am paraphrasing a bit for brevity, but I don't understand how someone can read an email like that and assume ignoring it will result in action. Especially with the follow-up requesting confirmation. We're an MSP, and doing something like APPROVAL REQUIRED wouldn't fly with management.

We have customers that ignore us for weeks and then get really mad something isn't working and breathe down our necks to demand a fix. And generally, the equipment we are managing is not ours. We aren't going to do anything unless we get approval, ESPECIALLY when downtime is required.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I am paraphrasing a bit for brevity, but I don't understand how someone can read an email like that and assume ignoring it will result in action. Especially with the follow-up requesting confirmation. We're an MSP, and doing something like APPROVAL REQUIRED wouldn't fly with management.

We have customers that ignore us for weeks and then get really mad something isn't working and breathe down our necks to demand a fix. And generally, the equipment we are managing is not ours. We aren't going to do anything unless we get approval, ESPECIALLY when downtime is required.
How is it that you're an MSP but you also expect your customers to read the emails you send them

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Partycat posted:

I think I know the site you’re talking about but I am not sure it is actually a state run item ?

It certainly made it more annoying to get my copy of Windows upgrayedd or whatever I’m entitled to because of that time limit thing.

But they closed the legit state run computer store so I can’t exactly walk over and get a DVD any more :(

CollgeBuys powered by thinkEDU which uses MS Imagine by way of Kivuto to distribute MS products.

I emailed them bitching about the extension not working and they turned my download link back on.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How is it you're a MSP and something as simple as APPROVAL REQUIRED wouldn't fly? That poo poo is like MSP 101.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Guy that moved to BFE and is trying to vpn using his desktop from work and a Verizon jet pack is getting like 9mbs down and 0.4mbs up. “My solid works files won open”

no poo poo I told you this would happen

Now we’re giving him a laptop and he’s going to remote into his desktop at his desk from his new house, after he brings his desktop back.

(He’s keeping his desk and office and phone even though he moved two hours away and will be working here like one day a month. He has the biggest office in the company)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CAN DO THING?

CHECK BOX

[ ] YES
[ ] OK
I get along very well with one of our DBAs, and we send most emails to each other in a similar format because it helps lessen the disappointment of the crushing incompetence of our business analysts and project managers.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A lot of people get tripped up on "if" though, trying to overthink it or allow outside influences to clout their decision. They see it more as a judgement call and they don't ever want to have wrong judgement. They end up tending to avoid the question while they gather everything they need to make a perfect choice, not getting that information, and then simply ignoring your request altogether.
I actually used this as a strategy when I worked field service for IBM. Most of our AIX admins were unsurprisingly in India, and unsurprisingly they had no idea how to perform basic administrative tasks in AIX, so they often tried to bully us into doing their work for them (prepping systems for repair, OS reinstalls, etc). If we could turn their requests back on them for approval in the form of a direct yes/no question, they would literally never reply and their problems would magically vanish. This meant they either figured it out, escalated within their own team, or closed the ticket hoping failed hardware would magically come back to life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How have so many companies outsourced their IT to horribly incompetent teams overseas? I deal with this poo poo all the time from all the big US retail companies in their supply chain.

Hey, were saving like $10m a year now! And our IT systems kinda work okay I guess!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

How have so many companies outsourced their IT to horribly incompetent teams overseas? I deal with this poo poo all the time from all the big US retail companies in their supply chain.

Hey, were saving like $10m a year now! And our IT systems kinda work okay I guess!

Ticket count is the lowest it's ever been! Who knew providing poo poo-tier service would keep people from ever reporting their problem in the first place!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody really gives a poo poo how the IT systems work. They outsourced IT so that some middle management guy got a big fat bonus and the CEO got another jet (the old one had its ashtrays full). That's all there is to it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Because we in the field still busted our asses for our customers, IBM hardware is extremely reliable and covered up a lot of administrative fuckups that would have ruined less well-designed systems, and ironclad contracts and SLAs that allowed IBM to get away with fuckups. When the contracts ended many customers were so big they just renewed with IBM because change would have been hard, but many flee at the first opportunity - IBM’s corporate fortunes are a direct reflection of executives that couldn’t care less about employees, products, or customers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw a delivery truck for an office supplies company today, they had a bunch of bullet points of the things they sell. Chairs, desks, items printed with your company logo, laptops, printers, and managed it services.

That's probably some real quality service there, get a custom pen AND a cloud infrastructure!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

The finest google-searching, vendorcase-opening a sixth of your salary will buy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My intermediate client is trying to unilaterally amend the terms of my contract because that’s what their intermediate client is doing to them. I know I should just shut up and go with it because it’s going to make little difference but I just can’t stop myself from pushing back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

I saw a delivery truck for an office supplies company today, they had a bunch of bullet points of the things they sell. Chairs, desks, items printed with your company logo, laptops, printers, and managed it services.

That's probably some real quality service there, get a custom pen AND a cloud infrastructure!

Our Staples lady tries selling us phone systems, Dell computers, even WebEx subscriptions

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

It's basically because leadership are insulated from the consequences. I've seen it before and it doesn't have to be overseas. Services are way worse, but the people don't complain to them, so they don't hear about it. They only care about metrics, which look good because ticketing metrics are rarely useful. Ticket count is way down (because no one is putting in tickets because they have no confidence anything will be done, so they are either living with the problems or turning to shadow IT)! Time to resolution is way down (because the outsourced team doesn't feel the need to fix or even look at the problem before closing the ticket or passing it on to another team)! As far as leadership is concerned, the organization is saving money and improving outcomes. (EDIT: It's not because that leadership are cackling hobgoblins, it's because all the news that reaches them about it looks like it's successful.)

The reality is that outsourcing is frequently both more expensive and worse, but the people making those decisions aren't in a good position to see it.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 31, 2018

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

xzzy posted:

Pen to Butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Email requesting my review on a PR. They want to piggyback some minor copy changes on that "hotfix" I've been working on.

Open the PR, I'm expecting 1 file changed, maybe 2 lines. I look, and there are like 4 characters changed for a copy change (pricing update), and the rest is the entire suite of settings and poo poo for our new CI testing stuff.

Me: Uh. Was this supposed to point at the release candidate branch where we just merged in the new CI stuff? If not, it looks like this needs a rebase, as it was clearly branched off of that.
QA: Nah it's supposed to go into hotfix, it's fine.
Me: This PR says it's about minor copy changes.
QA: It's fine.
Me: :bang: Please click the "files changed" tab at the top of this page.

It's so obvious they branched this off of the release candidate, made the copy change, then made a PR pointing at this hotfix branch (branched off of master, so the RC stuff for this sprint isn't in there). It shouldn't be this hard to convince someone a 4 character copy change shouldn't have over 150 lines of changes and to recheck their branching.