Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Let's take a step back and ignore the brain worms for a bit. pigdog's analogy works. The problem with organizing to punch islamists in the face (other than the fruitlessness) is that it's political suicide on the left and center. Eventually you will punch a guy who just wants muslim public holidays, or at least someone who can fool people that he just wants that. Now you are the nazi. Then you can melt down while arguing that the left and the center are a lost cause of islamist sympathizers anyway and you don't need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Clearly the Swedes should have shot their Nazis after the war.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Clearly the Swedes should have shot their Nazis after the war.

They didn't even shoot nazis during the war.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Alhazred posted:

They didn't even shoot nazis during the war.

Yeah but they could have joined in once it was over, part score.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Just a heads up (sorry!), that video by the Olly kid is not a balanced take on the phenomenon, it is ideological apologism. I've seen quite a few of his vids and he is far left himself. Which is fine, if you are still in your teens, just be aware of what it is.

I would perhaps suggest you instead listen someone smart on the subject, such as Chomsky.

Chomsky, 2017 posted:

"As for Antifa, it's a minuscule fringe of the Left, just as its predecessors were," Noam Chomsky told the Washington Examiner. "It's a major gift to the Right, including the militant Right, who are exuberant."

Chomsky said, "what they do is often wrong in principle – like blocking talks – and [the movement] is generally self-destructive."

"When confrontation shifts to the arena of violence, it's the toughest and most brutal who win – and we know who that is," said Chomsky, a professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "That's quite apart from the opportunity costs – the loss of the opportunity for education, organizing, and serious and constructive activism."

Also lol, even Chomsky had to sneak in that antifa is a bit limp-wristed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rnr posted:

Just a heads up (sorry!), that video by the Olly kid is not a balanced take on the phenomenon, it is ideological apologism. I've seen quite a few of his vids and he is far left himself. Which is fine, if you are still in your teens, just be aware of what it is.

I would perhaps suggest you instead listen someone smart on the subject, such as Chomsky.

Also lol, even Chomsky had to sneak in that antifa is a bit limp-wristed.
What Chomsky believes is irrelevant because he's talking about the situation in America and we're talking about Scandinavia.
I'd honestly rather listen to something that has experienced right wing violence firsthand: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/meninger/i/Gky4l/kronikk-terror-ikke-gjengoppgjoer

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lolling pretty hard right now at the dude who comes here and starts complaining about supposed ideological biases and then tries to pass off arch-liberal Noam loving Chomsky as an objective voice.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I was expecting him to say Jordan Peterson tho.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 25, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Good thing bloc politics is dead and bipartisan initiatives like teaching one-year-old ghetto residents about democracy and "Danish values" for 25 hours a week in forced daycare without naptime are now possible, and also parents lose childcare benefits if they don't do it. Freedom marches on!

https://www.information.dk/telegram/2018/05/boern-udsatte-omraader-tvungen-vuggestue

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sure, use their children as weapons in your malicious quest to be.. Malicious for the heck of it.

And for the Fascist votes, I guess.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ah yes, democracy gulags what could go wrong.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NMR's Danish chapter dumped garbage at a Minister's house. The authorities are taking this threat very seriously. But can we be sure that it's not just another art installation by Dan Park that in fact belongs in Christiansborg?

Lima posted:

Ah yes, democracy gulags what could go wrong.

Well, according to the Social Democrats, the only thing wrong with it is that they can't force it upon all poor people.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Free translation for hospital patients to be nixed. However, don't despair, it will include special provisions for Greenlanders, Faroese and the German minority. Social Democrats voted for, of course.

https://politiken.dk/indland/politik/art6546148/Regeringen-vil-indf%C3%B8re-gebyr-p%C3%A5-1.675-kr.-for-at-bruge-tolk-p%C3%A5-hospitalet

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

SplitSoul posted:

Free translation for hospital patients to be nixed. However, don't despair, it will include special provisions for Greenlanders, Faroese and the German minority. Social Democrats voted for, of course.

https://politiken.dk/indland/politik/art6546148/Regeringen-vil-indf%C3%B8re-gebyr-p%C3%A5-1.675-kr.-for-at-bruge-tolk-p%C3%A5-hospitalet

Is the goal to stop people who aren’t danish citizens from going to the hospital? This makes little sense to me. Aren’t there people legally allowed to be in the country who don’t speak Danish?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is the goal to stop people who aren’t danish citizens from going to the hospital? This makes little sense to me. Aren’t there people legally allowed to be in the country who don’t speak Danish?
Just because you're legally allowed to be here doesn't mean anyone has to like it, least of all you! Actually, it'd be great if you didn't so you'd go back home to wherever you came from.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dirk Pitt posted:

Yes, but if they don't speak it well enough after three years to understand serious and often technical conversations about the state of their health, they have to pay an amount that's literally 44% of the monthly special reduced welfare for immigrants and refugees. They really, really, really want these people dead.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
1: Make sure immigrants can't get proper healthcare.

2: Get upset over all these immigrants too sick to be productive to society.

Danmark delenda est.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

The stated goal is to pressure immigrants into learning the local language inside of the first 3 years.

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, but if they don't speak it well enough after three years to understand serious and often technical conversations about the state of their health, they have to pay an amount that's literally 44% of the monthly special reduced welfare for immigrants and refugees. They really, really, really want these people dead.

In my previous job as a department head, I hired several immigrants (even muslims, gasp!). It was my experience that everyone I hired, learned Danish in a matter of months. Sure, those were people on an already high educational level, but searching for other experiences online, it seems to be around that for everyone, perhaps slightly more. 3 years should be sufficient.

On one hand I deeply dislike the added bureaucracy of this law, and I dislike pressuring people on health matters, on the other it is good to ask more of immigrants. My pensioner father teaches immigrants English and Danish for free in his spare evenings. His experience is that some of them could definitely use a kick in the rear end, so they could actually put in the work required, frustrating though it may be. I know that doesn't exactly fit with a victim narrative, but perhaps we shouldn't be cultivating those anyhow...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

would probably be better to actually work on integration rather than just punishing people for not doing something you're not otherwise accommodating imo

as you say, most people who work with a language will generally learn it to an acceptable degree fairly quickly, but the conclusion to that premise seems to be some sort of work placement scheme, not denying people information about their health

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one major issue is that whenever we make incentives for immigrants they seem pig-headedly miserly and punitive. this is not a sound procedure and is only going to further alienate those people to whom it applies, probably at the cost of some unnecessary deaths. it's bad policy for the problem at hand

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Integration is easy, get a job and learn the language. It is literally how it works in the whole world when it comes to integration.

The issue at least in Sweden is that most immigrants lack the education and the amount of low skill jobs are steadily decreasing and thus the difficulties of integration increase.
The numbers speak for themselves with 50% of the immigrants have some form of employment after 8 years, where one hour a week counts as employment.
The incentive to get a job with these difficulties and a social welfare system where you have a better life on welfare than your original country must be rather hard.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

not sure i buy the feckless foreigners narrative tbh

social issues are practically never helpfully analysed through individual attributes - again, while there are certainly issues culturally(e.g. high-caste somali women being reluctant to work), 'they don't want to work because they've got it too good' is a really iffy argument which i doubt you can seriously justify

also 'immigrants' is a very very vague category, it might be helpful to specify somewhat

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Integration is easy
nuclear take

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cardiac posted:

The issue at least in Sweden is that most immigrants lack the education and the amount of low skill jobs are steadily decreasing and thus the difficulties of integration increase.

Aside from language difficulties, another reason is that a lot of degrees aren't recognised by the state. The cafeteria guy at my previous school was an astrophysicist. I've also met a cabbie who was a Ph.D. in mathematics. My mom worked with a doctor who was wiping old people's asses for a living.

Also, a good part of these people are going to be refugees from active warzones, so maybe that's worth figuring into the equation somehow.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Rnr posted:

The stated goal is to pressure immigrants into learning the local language inside of the first 3 years.

In my previous job as a department head, I hired several immigrants (even muslims, gasp!). It was my experience that everyone I hired, learned Danish in a matter of months. Sure, those were people on an already high educational level, but searching for other experiences online, it seems to be around that for everyone, perhaps slightly more. 3 years should be sufficient.

On one hand I deeply dislike the added bureaucracy of this law, and I dislike pressuring people on health matters, on the other it is good to ask more of immigrants. My pensioner father teaches immigrants English and Danish for free in his spare evenings. His experience is that some of them could definitely use a kick in the rear end, so they could actually put in the work required, frustrating though it may be. I know that doesn't exactly fit with a victim narrative, but perhaps we shouldn't be cultivating those anyhow...

Is your dad a bigoted rear end in a top hat too? That might be why he thinks they're just lazy.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I thought it was the Somali women who worked since the men were high on khat? Somali is btw one of the hardest to integrate where one reason is how many can’t read, something essential to be able to work in Sweden. The numbers for Somalis is really depressing.

As for degrees, in 2015 fast tracks to verify degrees were put in motion but with as far as I have understood disappointing results. The high-degree doctor being a taxi driver is to a large extent an urban myth. A clear majority of the immigrants have little to none education, which their home countries census records also show.
The degrees are also not worth much if you can’t communicate in the host country’s language.

Finally, 8 years to find any form of employment is kinda bad. In that time you can basically do an entire bachelor-master-PhD.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Is your dad a bigoted rear end in a top hat too? That might be why he thinks they're just lazy.

Can't you read? Literally step out into real life, just for a while, sheltered 30-something child. Between my dad and I, we've done more for integration in DK, than most others can claim. It sucks to actually take personal responsibility for something, but you should try it some time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well my dad can beat up your dad.

So there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

KozmoNaut posted:

Well my dad can beat up your dad.

So there.

Not if he's deported he can't!

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

To momentarily interrupt the screeching: On previous pages, it was mentioned by some that we currently see unlikely political bedfellows across scandiland. A short opinion piece on DR makes the exact same point: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/videoanalyse-roed-og-blaa-blok-i-opbrud-praeger-afslutningsdebat

In short: traditional left and right cannot agree amongst themselves, but on the other hand an increasing amount of alliances between left and right parties is seen (the example in this article is DF and S). Traditional red and blue blocks are breaking down.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rnr posted:

To momentarily interrupt the screeching

Is it still rude if you're interrupting yourself?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"You dumb screeching children just cannot understand that it's good to ask more of immigrants" says man from a country that literally robs refugees upon entry.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Aside from language difficulties, another reason is that a lot of degrees aren't recognised by the state. The cafeteria guy at my previous school was an astrophysicist. I've also met a cabbie who was a Ph.D. in mathematics. My mom worked with a doctor who was wiping old people's asses for a living.

Also, a good part of these people are going to be refugees from active warzones, so maybe that's worth figuring into the equation somehow.

Degrees are often not recognized by the state since they are often really hard to 1. Verify, 2. Translate over different school systems.

An doctor or a pharmacist should never work as a doctor without deep knowledge of the local health system, language and regulations, which is why they require thorough recertification before they get their license to practice their trade. An engineer with a 2 year education that focused solely on the maintenance of old soviet oil Derricks will not necessarily have a comparable degree to a modern 3 year bachelor in mechanical engineering, despite it saying so with a direct translation of their degree title. What would be great is if all these degrees could get fast track alternatives to make their educations compatible with local standards and job market. However, I don't really think this is done for any degrees except those requiring licence.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiac posted:

I thought it was the Somali women who worked since the men were high on khat? Somali is btw one of the hardest to integrate where one reason is how many can’t read, something essential to be able to work in Sweden. The numbers for Somalis is really depressing.

As for degrees, in 2015 fast tracks to verify degrees were put in motion but with as far as I have understood disappointing results. The high-degree doctor being a taxi driver is to a large extent an urban myth. A clear majority of the immigrants have little to none education, which their home countries census records also show.
The degrees are also not worth much if you can’t communicate in the host country’s language.

Finally, 8 years to find any form of employment is kinda bad. In that time you can basically do an entire bachelor-master-PhD.

to an extent i actually agree with this, in that employment of new arrivals should be a priority. this is actively hindered by government policy, at least in norway, where asylum seekers are literally not allowed to get a job before their application has been approved - and, again, the logical conclusion seems to be an increased emphasis on finding people some form of activity, not to make health care basically contingent on already having one

use mandatory participation and such, by all means, but our system is set up so people get all stick and no carrot, which is a terrible way to motivate people to contribute to society. one Actually Good Thing about the norwegian system is that the so-called introduction programme is explicitly framed as employment, and participants get a salary, deal with registering work hours &c

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zudgemud posted:

What would be great is if all these degrees could get fast track alternatives to make their educations compatible with local standards and job market.

I fully support this. Bringing an already qualified (and probably relatively experienced) engineer up to speed must be so much faster and less expensive than fully training a complete greenhorn. Plus you get the benefit of field experience, sometimes under adverse conditions, which is extremely valuable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I fully support this. Bringing an already qualified (and probably relatively experienced) engineer up to speed must be so much faster and less expensive than fully training a complete greenhorn. Plus you get the benefit of field experience, sometimes under adverse conditions, which is extremely valuable.
One of the guys who works in our group used to live in Syria and let's just say that making do is not a problem. We've actually had to work on sometimes being OK with things not being done until they can be done to spec.
The work integration talk is great and all until you get a whiff of the difficulty faced by willing, competent immigrants, let alone those without particular qualifications.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rnr posted:

Between my dad and I, we've done more for integration in DK, than most others can claim.

:lol:

Zudgemud posted:

Degrees are often not recognized by the state since they are often really hard to 1. Verify, 2. Translate over different school systems.

An doctor or a pharmacist should never work as a doctor without deep knowledge of the local health system, language and regulations, which is why they require thorough recertification before they get their license to practice their trade. An engineer with a 2 year education that focused solely on the maintenance of old soviet oil Derricks will not necessarily have a comparable degree to a modern 3 year bachelor in mechanical engineering, despite it saying so with a direct translation of their degree title. What would be great is if all these degrees could get fast track alternatives to make their educations compatible with local standards and job market. However, I don't really think this is done for any degrees except those requiring licence.

I agree. The thing is, that isn't happening in anywhere near sufficient measure, and the government has to placate a party that doesn't want them to work at all, just gently caress off back where they came from.

Also, Cardiac, you don't need to worry about Somalis so much. We're already sending children back there despite the government's own mission to the country not daring to leave the high-security area of the Mogadishu airport.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SplitSoul posted:

Also, Cardiac, you don't need to worry about Somalis so much. We're already sending children back there despite the government's own mission to the country not daring to leave the high-security area of the Mogadishu airport.

This poo poo is one of the things that makes me legitimately angry about the state of immigration in Scandinavia.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

This poo poo is one of the things that makes me legitimately angry about the state of immigration in Scandinavia.

At least that part is consistent. MigV was still deporting iraqis to Iraq when ISIS was perched 5 miles from Baghdad back in 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

What? They're not explicitly calling for their deaths, just doing all in their power to make it happen. Totally different! Much like 16-year-old Abolfazl Vaziri, an ethnic Hazara, who was almost immediately executed by the Taliban after his deportation to Afghanistan. His brother Vahid is now a refugee again, this time in Iran. They had no family or contacts left and suffered from PTSD. Also the government deliberately hid the details of their case.

Thankfully, the final decision was made by the Social Democratic government of yore and that party is now headed by a person who massaged a report on Eritrea for similar reasons. Here it was argued that, because people were able to bribe their way out of military service that they would otherwise be imprisoned and tortured for refusing, it was perfectly safe to deport people there.