Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

he's guzzling beer on the sun now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Heaven just got a whole lot more hockey hair. :rip:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
So Ray Davies got him in the end?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I'll be sleeping in the back of my truck tonight :canada:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Aww, that makes me legitimately sad.

RIP, you wonderful Canadian superhero. :(

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Aww, that makes me legitimately sad.

RIP, you wonderful Canadian superhero. :(

Same. I'm gonna drink a case of Molson tonight in his honour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

In an interview with audio company Big Finish's executive producer Nick Briggs, Briggs told the story of the first time they worked with Warner. Briggs said after recording they all went out to dinner, and mid way through, Warner points across the table at Briggs and shout "You! Are you in charge here? I want a word with you!" Briggs said he started to panic, thinking "Oh god, we've pissed off David Warner." They stepped off to the side, at which point Warner began to gush about how wonderful a time he had, and would they please consider bringing him back for more?

They've brought him back so much he's considered one of their "rep" actors. Which leads to the anecdote that when Warner saw that Big Finish announced they were doing a project with Sir John Hurt, he called them up to explain that he was old friends with John, but hadn't seen him in years, and would it be all right if he stopped by the recording studio to say hi?

They informed him no, because they were already planning to cast David in the project with John.

This was BF's Invisible Man, right? (It must be, because I don't think Warner was in any of the Hurt Doctor Who)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'll be sleeping in the back of my truck tonight :canada:

Ok, but what if anything are you going to do in memory of Rowsdower?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Rowsdower In Peace :rip:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Barry Bluejeans posted:

he's guzzling beer on the sun now

WELL YA MIIIGHT AS WELL BE DRINKING ON THE SUN *jaunty keyboard bit played at dirge speed*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

This was BF's Invisible Man, right? (It must be, because I don't think Warner was in any of the Hurt Doctor Who)

It was The War Doctor Vol 2: Infernal Devices. The story was Legion of the Lost.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Ok, but what if anything are you going to do in memory of Rowsdower?

Sleeping in my formal denim, of course.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Myself plan to spend the evening with a grizzled old prospector.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

WELL YA MIIIGHT AS WELL BE DRINKING ON THE SUN *jaunty keyboard bit played at dirge speed*

It... Actually kinda works???

https://youtu.be/xkdMMXrW7y4

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Reince Penis posted:

Same. I'm gonna drink a case of Molson tonight in his honour.

:same:

EDIT: Final Sacrifice was better than it had any right being. What ever happened to the director?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 31, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Final Sacrifice was better than it had any right being. What ever happened to the director?

Wikipedia posted:

The Final Sacrifice arose as the project of a film student named Tjardus Greidanus, who was enrolled in the filmmaker program at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. The film was completed with a budget of approximately $1,500 using cameras borrowed from the school. Christian Malcolm, who starred as Troy, was a fellow student of Greidanus and co-wrote the screenplay.

And I'm happy to report he's still directing!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ever see the cover for the film's VHS? Where it was title Quest for the Lost City?

That's not our Rowsdower!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And I'm happy to report he's still directing!

He comes from a long line of Greidanuses. It's in his blood.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Looks like they're filming the new season starting monday! It's gonna have more of a cohesive central conceit to it 'suitable for binge watching' and there are only 6 episodes so they can get em' out the door more quickly.

joel posted:

New Season… New Experiment!

As you know, I never like to give away too much about the new episodes ahead of time, since I want the experience of seeing them to be a fun surprise for everyone.

So, before you ask, I'm still not going to tell you what movies Jonah and the Bots will be riffing this season… but I will tell you that this season's movies include one that I know a lot of you have asked us to riff in the past, and also one that was made in the last five years! Now, I've got to tell you, being on Netflix – and in over 100 million homes! – has been a really good thing for MST3K. It feels good having Season 11 under our belts and received so warmly, so that's been giving us a lot of good momentum this time.

But you know, it's also been really helpful seeing so much feedback from all of you, and I think you'll be pleased to see a bunch of your suggestions manifested in this next batch of new shows. It's never a good idea to try to make a show "by committee," but I think hearing from so many of you helped us see some things about the new episodes that we might not have noticed or thought about. I guess what I'm trying to say is… thanks for the help!

Anyway, yeah, I never want to share too much about the new episodes before you get to see them… but one of the big creative challenges that really interested me this time around was how to tweak the Forrester experiments to take advantage of Netflix's strengths, and the way people binge-view shows. (Think about it: binge-watching the last season of Stranger Things took 540 minutes… but binge-watching the last season of Mystery Science Theater took 1,260 minutes! Especially for new or "casual" viewers, I'm worried that could be a little overwhelming, and maybe keep them from giving the show a chance.)

So, this time around, the entire "concept" of the season will be a little different, and warped in a really fun way, which I think will make the whole series of movies "hang together" as a season. I'm not going to tell you the concept yet, but...

The next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will be SIX EPISODES long, and written to encourage binge viewing!

And you know, the other nice thing about this plan is that, by focusing on just six episodes this time around, we're able to get them written, shot and edited a lot faster! That hopefully also means we'll be able to show them to you a lot sooner, so that you don't have to wait as long for your next "fix" of Mystery Science Theater. On a creative level, it’s a much more fun way to work. And I hope that shows in the new season. Truth be told, as much as I loved making 14 feature-length episodes of MST3K, it’s hard sometimes to get your arms around that much content all at once. So, this season allowed us to focus more, and have a better sense of the whole picture.

Anyway, I know a lot of you have been wondering what's happening with the new season, and I didn't want to start shooting without letting you know how things are going. You – the MST3K Revival League – are the reason we've got another season of Mystery Science Theater coming, and we're all still so grateful that you made this possible. And, speaking of the MST3K Revival League, there's one more thing we should talk about before I get back to work...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I dig Joel’s thinking here (or his spin, however you choose to look at it). It makes a ton of sense to do half the episodes from his perspective, and I’m interested to see how it hangs together this time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That could mean a few things. They could cut the experiments in half, like with the MST3K Hour, so 90 minute eps don't seem too daunting to a binge watcher. Or they could go the Sci Fi Channel route and have story lines that carry through the host segments and over to other episodes

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

That could mean a few things. They could cut the experiments in half, like with the MST3K Hour, so 90 minute eps don't seem too daunting to a binge watcher. Or they could go the Sci Fi Channel route and have story lines that carry through the host segments and over to other episodes

As much flack as the overarching stories got, I really hope that if it's either of those things it's that. If the new season was only six episodes and each one was only half a movie, that would really be disappointing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Well, if it gets them on a regular production schedule and gets us the shows faster than I’m cool with six episodes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Reserving judgement until it's out and watchable, but I have to say that cutting the number of eps down to 6, and the phrase "written to encourage binge watching" don't exactly give me good vibes at the moment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Reserving judgement until it's out and watchable, but I have to say that cutting the number of eps down to 6, and the phrase "written to encourage binge watching" don't exactly give me good vibes at the moment.

The Return was a pretty decent hit for Netflix, right? As in there shouldn’t be pressure from above to do a smaller season?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If nothing else, this hopefully means they won't have the same grueling schedule that let them film like two takes for all the sketches, which is one of the issues I had with the latest season. I'd like more than six episodes, but not if they can't make them well or on time, so being realistic about it is good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The lower ep order may not be a big deal, Netflix has been doing that with a lot of shows. Kimmy Schmidt's last season is just 6, the new Voltron and Full House have both had batches of 6 released, I think, basically so they can have 2 or 3 releases a year.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Kimmy Schmidt's last season is just 6

It's 12 or 13. They're just releasing in two batches.

Second batch isn;t until January.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Return was a pretty decent hit for Netflix, right? As in there shouldn’t be pressure from above to do a smaller season?

We don’t know if it was or not. It did take a long time for this next season to be announced vs like Stranger Things 2. Mst3k has always been on the margins, though. If this is how they have to do it, I’m confident they’ll do it well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

It's 12 or 13. They're just releasing in two batches.

Second batch isn;t until January.

It's so they can get something out in time for the Emmys but still get some mileage out of the show's last season (they did the same thing with Arrested Development season 5 - half just before the Emmy deadline, half sometime later).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Who binge watches mst3k? Fewer eps is whatever, but I can't fathom watching more than one a night. Lately, going through the older seasons, we're getting about half of one in each night.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Who binge watches mst3k? Fewer eps is whatever, but I can't fathom watching more than one a night. Lately, going through the older seasons, we're getting about half of one in each night.

MST should only be marathonned on Turkey Day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you people are nuts, i watch 2-3 episodes in a row all the time.

i mean, usually while doing something else, but the point stands.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Where was this "revival league" message posted and why didn't I receive it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

Where was this "revival league" message posted and why didn't I receive it?

It was an email for Kickstarter backers that went out yesterday.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lots of Netflix originals are doing half seasons twice a year these days. It doesn't seem to be a death knell. I'm sure they just have data that people drop off less if they are released more frequently.

But I agree, MST3K is not a "binge watching" show like a traditional series.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

wa27 posted:

Lots of Netflix originals are doing half seasons twice a year these days. It doesn't seem to be a death knell. I'm sure they just have data that people drop off less if they are released more frequently.

But I agree, MST3K is not a "binge watching" show like a traditional series.

Yeah, sounds to me like this was Netflix's idea and it follows along with the rest of their shows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It performed pretty well, but remember, for Season 12, they're entirely dependent upon whatever budget Netflix deigned to give them; they don't have $5.7 million of Kickstarter money to play with this time around.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

It performed pretty well, but remember, for Season 12, they're entirely dependent upon whatever budget Netflix deigned to give them; they don't have $5.7 million of Kickstarter money to play with this time around.

I have to believe the overhead will be less this season, now that they have sets, don't need to cast/staff every position, etc. Dunno how much the rights are for six cheesy movies, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I have to believe the overhead will be less this season, now that they have sets, don't need to cast/staff every position, etc. Dunno how much the rights are for six cheesy movies, though.

It's still being made in conjunction with Shout! Factory I believe, and if that's the case and they're pulling from their own considerable library...next to nothing.