Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Shuma was an old obscure Dr. Strange villain. Quick google result says first appearance was 1972.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Nah, Shuma Gorath is a long-time Dr. Strange villain.

Also Conan (he and Crom didn't get along, back in the day.)

e: f,b

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just check mediastinger.com

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sitting through credits is good and cool because the people who worked on the films you love deserve to have their names read, even if you only catch a couple here and there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i love to read the screen about how 10,000 people worked on this movie on my pirated copy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's weird but I like to sit through the credits of videogames, thinking about the stuff that happened. Usually, they have some good OST playing and those images of notable places you've been through. And some of them put that "You" on the "Special Thanks" field, that's kinda nice.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fangz posted:

Considering Wonder Woman as a villain in BvS is an interesting opinion.

I never said she was a villian. I strongly implied she overlooked the unprivileged people however, and that can be a result of her having turned away from humanity. But in that scene, she is definitely part of the aristocracy, so the criticism applirs to her as well

Barry Convex posted:

Having billionaire villains seems like an extremely feeble definition of an anti-capitalist message. Putting aside any MCU comparisons, no one would call, say, the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man a leftist anti-capitalist film.

No, but then Raimi didn't really draw lines between Osborne with Dick Cheney or Mark Zuckerberg.

The exctended cut also has Clark investigating vigilante violence and how the police turn a blind eye to the bat and are in fact complicit in his crimes. Literally the police don't care that the rich are bullying the underclass.

Again though, most of the anti-capitalist message comes from that other movie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently Bautista has signed on to play one of the main characters in a movie adaptation of the 90's indie comic Body Bags, which is a pretty big surprise cause while it's a comic that is pretty easy to adapt, it's also both really obscure and somewhat controversial in subject matter

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shinjobi posted:

Iron Man's post credits scene changed modern cinema. Now people never loving leave theaters during the credits, regardless of whether or not it's a Marvel property. People sat through Star Wars credits, hoping for bonus scenes. Mad Max, the same. And thanks to an overabundance of CGI in movies, credits take longer than they ever have before.

As someone who is cursed to work in a movie theater.....I love Iron Man, but gently caress it all the same.

Is it that much of an inconvenience for you guys? I prefer to sit through credits to show respect for the creators, but I dunno if I'm being a jerk by doing so....

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently Bautista has signed on to play one of the main characters in a movie adaptation of the 90's indie comic Body Bags, which is a pretty big surprise cause while it's a comic that is pretty easy to adapt, it's also both really obscure and somewhat controversial in subject matter

i really like dave bautista, i'm glad he's getting work

enjoyed bushwick, even though that was obviously pretty early and and a big ask for his skill at the time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fangz posted:

Is it that much of an inconvenience for you guys? I prefer to sit through credits to show respect for the creators, but I dunno if I'm being a jerk by doing so....

I'm sure the creators won't mind

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, Bautista is perfect for Clownface.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Man, Bautista is perfect for Clownface.

Agreed, the real question is who could play Panda and nail it both in looks and attitude?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, the real question is who could play Panda and nail it both in looks and attitude?

Hopefully an unknown.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fangz posted:

Don't misunderstand. I'm not claiming everyone who sits in on credits is some kind of monster. It's more the number of people who do has increased by a noticeable number. When you've got 4 sold out showings of Infinity war that need to get cleaned in the span of 45 minutes, every second you're waiting for the last person to leave can make the rush to clean worse. Even better when you have someone trying to skip the line in by waiting right outside the auditorium doors making passive aggressive remarks about how long it's taking.

That being said, Marvel movies are typically going to have that extra little tidbit at the end, so you get over it cause at least audiences are actually getting rewarded for patience. But now audiences have convinced themselves that now every flick is going to do it, so you've got people waiting around for epilogue scenes in John Wick, or Wreck It Ralph, or...hell, I dunno, Dolphin Tale 2. It's bizarre.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Hopefully an unknown.

True, especially since it would work best if the actress is also a teen

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MCU has its thing about scenes at the very end but they aren't the only reason people stay.

For comedies I always wonder if there's something at the end, because way before the MCU sometimes you'd get stuff. Wayne's World for example has a scene at the very end. Plus the extra stuff that comedies like to do during the credits like extra scenes or outtakes or turning the job titles and names into jokes.

Ya boy Jackie Chan has been putting bad takes during the credits for a long time.

Pixar films tend to make the credits themselves pretty cool.

And then there are films that have really good scores that are a shame to walk out on midway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Deadpool 1 just straight up rips off Ferris bueller and that poo poo came out in 86

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Going way back, teasing what was to come was done in Bond films. At the very end (credits were much shorter though) it would tell you what movie James Bond was going to return in. I imagine back in the day that would have been cool for fans of the literary Bond to find out which story they were adapting. Not that you could rely on the movies using anything from the stories other than the title, but still.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

drrockso20 posted:

doesn't that have a 14-year-old T&A jailbait character?

yup, this is one of the tamer drawings GIS turned up :stare:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

The bigger question is "how in the name of God do you adapt a huuuge titty underage spicy latina stereotype cheerleader wankbait character into something that won't spark a riot?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

doesn't that have a 14-year-old T&A jailbait character?

yup, this is one of the tamer drawings GIS turned up :stare:

The main reason she's designed like that is cause Jason Pearson intended her to be somewhat of a parody of how a lot of action anime of the period drew women(much like Clownface is a parody of how guys like Miller and Liefeld often drew their heroes), in the actual comics there's actually not quite as much T&A as you'd expect

Also a lot of the images you saw were probably fanart, as Panda is kinda popular in certain parts of the internet

SlimGoodbody posted:

The bigger question is "how in the name of God do you adapt a huuuge titty underage spicy latina stereotype cheerleader wankbait character into something that won't spark a riot?"

They'll probably tone it down a little in regards to her bust, don't really see why they'd need to change anything else about her though

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Lobok posted:

Going way back, teasing what was to come was done in Bond films. At the very end (credits were much shorter though) it would tell you what movie James Bond was going to return in. I imagine back in the day that would have been cool for fans of the literary Bond to find out which story they were adapting. Not that you could rely on the movies using anything from the stories other than the title, but still.

Also they got it wrong a few times and eventually just gave up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

drrockso20 posted:

The main reason she's designed like that is cause Jason Pearson intended her to be somewhat of a parody of how a lot of action anime of the period drew women(much like Clownface is a parody of how guys like Miller and Liefeld often drew their heroes), in the actual comics there's actually not quite as much T&A as you'd expect

Also a lot of the images you saw were probably fanart, as Panda is kinda popular in certain parts of the internet

They'll probably tone it down a little in regards to her bust, don't really see why they'd need to change anything else about her though

lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shinjobi posted:

Iron Man's post credits scene changed modern cinema. Now people never loving leave theaters during the credits, regardless of whether or not it's a Marvel property. People sat through Star Wars credits, hoping for bonus scenes. Mad Max, the same. And thanks to an overabundance of CGI in movies, credits take longer than they ever have before.

As someone who is cursed to work in a movie theater.....I love Iron Man, but gently caress it all the same.

X-Men 3 had a post credits scene. I think Daredevil did as well but might be wrong.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The only things I really remember from the random few issues of Body Bags I ever read:

- Panda talks about her large breasts often

- She has a completely handwaved ability to perfectly accomplish anything she sees anyone do a single time even though she's a completely regular human child with no metahuman abilities, and this is how they explain why this child gets to do John Woo poo poo with her psychopath merc dad the second she gets off a plane to see him

- There was a scene where the smileyface hulk dad protagonist is trying to get information out of some drug dealer so he breaks into the dealer's apartment and intentionally stabs his gently caress-off huge swordknife into the 9 months pregnant belly of the dealer's girlfriend, deep enough to cut the fetus in half, but not far enough to kill the girlfriend, presumably to teach the guy a lesson

Cool, cool, a great IP that deserves to be remembered and turned into a film

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The only things I really remember from the random few issues of Body Bags I ever read:

- She has a completely handwaved ability to perfectly accomplish anything she sees anyone do a single time even though she's a completely regular human child with no metahuman abilities, and this is how they explain why this child gets to do John Woo poo poo with her psychopath merc dad the second she gets off a plane to see him

- There was a scene where the smileyface hulk dad protagonist is trying to get information out of some drug dealer so he breaks into the dealer's apartment and intentionally stabs his gently caress-off huge swordknife into the 9 months pregnant belly of the dealer's girlfriend, deep enough to cut the fetus in half, but not far enough to kill the girlfriend, presumably to teach the guy a lesson

The first thing on your list doesn't happen in the original mini series. Neither does the second. The third does though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Sitting through credits is good and cool because the people who worked on the films you love deserve to have their names read, even if you only catch a couple here and there.

Sitting through credits hasn't made sense since movies started having thousands of people working on them.

drrockso20 posted:

The internet's going to be pissed when the daughter character isn't a 14 year old with enormous tits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lurdiak posted:

Sitting through credits hasn't made sense since movies started having thousands of people working on them.

The internet's going to be pissed when the daughter character isn't a 14 year old with enormous tits.

Someone’s never seen the credits for a Neil Breen film.

They are A+ watches

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

First one doesn't happen(indeed she rarely ever talks about them, and 99% of the time someone else brings them up it's made clear they're being perverted and/or an rear end in a top hat, and often end up having something horrible happen to them afterwards as well)

Second thing is you misremembering a scene establishing that Panda has really drat good aim, which is offset by Panda often lacking the patience to take full advantage of it

As for the third point that did happen, but it basically happens to show that Clownface at the start of the series is in a really bad place mentally, not to mention she had a gun pointed at him from behind, that was basically the only he could stop her from shooting him that wouldn't result in her dying then and there(plus he had a point that said baby was probably already dead from it's mom being a heavy drug user)

I will admit that last part is a scene I find really unpleasant though, and in many respects I find the later one shot stories better than the original Father's Day mini due to them(besides World Destroyer which was really more of an epilogue to Father's Day than a proper standalone story) switching the POV character to Panda instead of Clownface, as she's a lot more sympathetic than he is, not to mention generally dialing down a lot of the darker aspects of the original mini and upping the humor(which is why I'd say Hit Da Switches is the best one he's done)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He then yells "Pro-choice, bitches!" and rolls out on a skateboard.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Having billionaire villains seems like an extremely feeble definition of an anti-capitalist message. Putting aside any MCU comparisons, no one would call, say, the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man a leftist anti-capitalist film.

Perhaps, but the original Spider-Man does have an anti-objectivist message as the Green Goblin has a scene where he pretty much repeats Rand's ideology, which conflicts with Spider-Man's philosophy of "great responsibility for others." The final act involves the Goblin trying to goad Spider-Man into selfish behaviour (saving Mary Jane instead of the kids) and failing because Spider-Man manages to save them all.

This is different from BvS which is about a super powered individualist who is trying to do what he wants but conflicts with people trying to regulate him. Almost identically to Atlas Shrugged, those who call him out on his bullshit are all revealed to be liars in others people's pockets (the lady from the village) or liars claiming they are working for the social good (Lex). The sacrifice at the end of the film is specifically framed as Superman acting within his own selfish desires (the motivation is saving Lois rather than saving the world) and the rest of the world is "punished" by wanting to impose limitations on the uber-mensch by having the character disappear to Galt's Gulch/non-death. It's explicitly pro-objectivist , it's not even subtle about it, it's loving obvious.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Karloff posted:

This is different from BvS which is about a super powered individualist who is trying to do what he wants but conflicts with people trying to regulate him. Almost identically to Atlas Shrugged, those who call him out on his bullshit are all revealed to be liars in others people's pockets (the lady from the village) or liars claiming they are working for the social good (Lex). The sacrifice at the end of the film is specifically framed as Superman acting within his own selfish desires (the motivation is saving Lois rather than saving the world) and the rest of the world is "punished" by wanting to impose limitations on the uber-mensch by having the character disappear to Galt's Gulch/non-death. It's explicitly pro-objectivist , it's not even subtle about it, it's loving obvious.

With all due respect, this is rubbish.

Superman is, if anything, a collectivist, who explicitly puts the group (Earth) over the individual (himself), in both his alter-ego's. Objectivism states that the only true moral path is rational self interest. Unless you paint objectivism with such a wide brush that "Person doing good because he considers it morally correct at cost to self" is considered objectivism, in which case you can probably consider almost every single superhero an objectivist.

If anything, I'd say you got it backwards. The objectivists in the movie are its antagonists, Lex and Bruce. They are the ones acting in the name of "rational self interest", even if Bruce considers it from the view of society as a whole. Superman acts in direct opposition to this. He acts in away that is directly detrimental to him in a selfless way to help humanity, and ultimately sacrifices himself for the greater good. You've so grossly misinterpreted and twisted his actions that your definition for objectivism can apply to any hero who risks himself to save someone else, including Spider-man that you quoted above. Supermans and Spider-mans philosophy are the very same.

if anything, this movie is a continuation from MoS in its rejection of objectivism

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know you can convince me that a director's work is a rejection of objectivism and a celebration of collectivism when his next movie is based on a book by the creator of objectivism about how much collectivism sucks

Like "Zack Snyder's The Fountainhead" is the end of that conversation to me.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much of this stuff is Snyder and how much of it is Goyer, who actually wrote both the story and screenplay? :confused:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm sure the "it's satire" defence will get a lot of traction. A claim that will get increasingly more difficult to defend when the promotional tour begins and there are a lot of favourable comments made towards Rand's work by those involved with the production.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last word on the subject:

:v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is going to lead to a discussion ban on all dc movies isnt it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is going to lead to a discussion ban on all dc movies isnt it.

The steel ban is cause everyone was losing their fuckin poo poo, people seem to be being call and respectful about this in their disagreements

It's just a fuckin shame the moratorium of Steel also applies to Shaq's Steel, and Real Steel from a couple years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I bet The Fountainhead doesn't get made.

• Locked thread