Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

You do not meaningfully 'own' your home if you are subject to a HOA

It's most of the drawbacks of renting without the benefits

Same thing as property taxes, just less oversight than the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Right except you're also paying property taxes anyway

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Eric the Mauve posted:

What about condos though? You're never going to find a condo without an HOA given the common areas that need to be maintained lest people be physically unable to reach their homes.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I would never buy a detached home in an HOA, but I own a townhouse with a (seemingly) good HOA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I'm talking about detached homes in modern suburbian paradise developments, obviously condos are different.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The worst part about HOAs are the inevitable power tripping assholes in the neighborhood thinking reporting you for every single technical rule violation is saving everybody's home value.

Yes, I parked my car in the guest parking for 5 minutes so I could move something out of my garage. Technically that's against the rules but what the gently caress are you doing watching me like a hawk to even catch this poo poo, and what good does a $25 fine do except make me absolutely loath you?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Some friends of mine recently bought a new construction house with the inevitable HOA, and now they're trying to fix some nasty drainage issues due to the lots having not been graded quite correctly - puddles of rainwater on top of the sod right next to their foundation and sheets of water (ice in winter) running across the sidewalk in front of their house.

Part of the fix would be building a 2' stone retaining wall along the edge of the front yard, so they'll have to submit plans to the HOA architectural review. If they get poo poo/pushback, they'll ask the HOA if they'd rather have a tasteful rock wall or potentially deal with a slip and fall lawsuit in the future.

Personally, I'd never buy a house with an HOA (never a condo either if I can help it). I'd rather be surrounded by dandelion lawns and cars on blocks than have a bunch of busybody assholes tell me what I can and cannot do inside my own garage and then pay them monthly for the privilege.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HOAs originated as a way to keep undesirable blacks out of white neighborhoods, and have persisted out of sheer spite

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My college dorm didn't require you to preauthorize an aquarium. Just the fact that clause exists would make me back the gently caress up from that development immediately. Like can you imagine a world where you get a notice from your HOA demanding you let them inspect your home because your neighbor saw a bag of gravel in your garage and is concerned you may have an illicit aquarium? I am strongly predisposed against HOAs in general, but that seems like a real red flag.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

HOAs originated as a way to keep undesirable blacks out of white neighborhoods, and have persisted out of sheer spite

HOA neighborhoods are heaven on earth for nosy people

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Literally the only rule my HOA has is none of those giant c-band satellite dishes.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Be part of the solution and be a chill HOA board member?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If my neighborhood had an HOA, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the dead tree stump this one dude carved into a dragon with a massive dong. He even hung a guest book on it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If my neighborhood had an HOA, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the dead tree stump this one dude carved into a dragon with a massive dong. He even hung a guest book on it.

Or, depending on the board, everyone would be required to have one of those.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Sign me the hell up for that HOA.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This unironically owns. Did he hang the guestbook off the dragon in general or specifically off the dong?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gently caress it peep this poo poo

https://goo.gl/maps/oxr7k7zpgQv

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Is the scaffolding permanent? I'd love that guy except if I was trying to sell my house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

gently caress it peep this poo poo

https://goo.gl/maps/oxr7k7zpgQv

That is amazing art that I would vote to have installed in my community.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

Is the scaffolding permanent? I'd love that guy except if I was trying to sell my house.

His house is always in-work. The scaffolding has been up for some time but the retaining walls were recently completed and I think they look really nice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

What about condos though? You're never going to find a condo without an HOA given the common areas that need to be maintained lest people be physically unable to reach their homes.

I think that's one of the reasons why condos are generally perceived as less valuable and harder to sell

My HOA is very chill, every offense starts with a warning, the fees are low and basically just cover maintenance of common areas, and the rules only apply to home exteriors and yards and are poo poo like "if you are going to repair an old car in your driveway try not to have it be on concrete blocks for longer than a month" and restrictions on what kinds of barnyard animals you can have (cows and bigger pigs, no, this is a suburb what the gently caress are you thinking? Goats are fine so long as you are friends)

I guess we can't plant a vegetable garden in the front yard but I really don't mind that (and fruits are okay)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My HOA sometimes sends me letters but they haven't bothered to sue me yet and the pool is awesome so meh on the HOA hate.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in year 1 of owning a home in an HOA. Place is beautiful but instead of the pool opening this past weekend, I got an email saying they need to change pool vendors. The old one was sending them status updates for the past 4 months telling them pool repairs are proceeding as planned but they have no evidence anyone has actually come out. Checks have been cashed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Slappy Pappy posted:

I'm in year 1 of owning a home in an HOA. Place is beautiful but instead of the pool opening this past weekend, I got an email saying they need to change pool vendors. The old one was sending them status updates for the past 4 months telling them pool repairs are proceeding as planned but they have no evidence anyone has actually come out. Checks have been cashed.

Sounds like it's all proceeding as planned for the pool vendor :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

I immediately imagined the pool vendor shouting SLAPPY PAPPY WEH WEEEEEEH! as they cashed the checks.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I have a large amount of money that is being put towards our down payment as a gift from my mother in law. I'm not sure what the best way to go about transferring the money is. Should we be keeping the money in her account, transferring it all to my wife's account, write out dozens of checks and transfer the money in several thousand dollar increments??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don’t do anything that looks like structuring. And mind the gift tax as appropriate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cinnamon rollout posted:

I have a large amount of money that is being put towards our down payment as a gift from my mother in law. I'm not sure what the best way to go about transferring the money is. Should we be keeping the money in her account, transferring it all to my wife's account, write out dozens of checks and transfer the money in several thousand dollar increments??

Transfer the money, have her write a gift letter.

Don't try to outsmart the system and tread around actually committing a crime by structuring deposits.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

cinnamon rollout posted:

Whatever you do, definitely make sure if you're receiving more than $10,000 that you break this up into multiple checks that are under $10,000 and deposit them in different branches at different times of day. Doing this will prevent the bank staff from having to do paperwork, and bank staff hates doing paperwork so you'll be doing them a favor.

(Absolutely under no circumstances should you do anything remotely resembling this :v:)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Ten checks of $9,998 for the Michael Cohen Memorial Multiple of $99,980.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Get it in your account ASAP, ideally so you can have a few bank statements worth between the deposit and when you apply for a mortgage. In a few months the money will be considered “seasoned” and will require less paperwork

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cinnamon rollout posted:

Ask your mortgage lender. Don't follow any advice in this thread that involves moving it.

Your mother in law will sign a gift affidavit, then with supporting documentation (bank statements) likely just wire it straight into escrow.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Ask your mortgage lender. Don't follow any advice in this thread that involves moving it.

Your mother in law will sign a gift affidavit, then with supporting documentation (bank statements) likely just wire it straight into escrow.

This is not actually the process for most conforming mortgages these days.

Generally speaking for a conventional loan (anything Fannie or Freddie backed), your lender is going to want a gift letter and proof you have gotten the funds. Proof of this is typically done by showing the funds have cleared into your account, along with proof the funds came from the donor (either the check with their name on it, or a bank statement showing the funds leaving their account on the correct day for the correct amount).

There are some scenarios where gift funds can be wired straight to the title company, but it is less common.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gtkor posted:

This is not actually the process for most conforming mortgages these days.

Generally speaking for a conventional loan (anything Fannie or Freddie backed), your lender is going to want a gift letter and proof you have gotten the funds. Proof of this is typically done by showing the funds have cleared into your account, along with proof the funds came from the donor (either the check with their name on it, or a bank statement showing the funds leaving their account on the correct day for the correct amount).

There are some scenarios where gift funds can be wired straight to the title company, but it is less common.

Either way, follow the instructions of your lender, not the internet. We did the direct wire because the person initiating it could be trusted not to gently caress it up, and was willing to do it early in the process.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Banks generally don't care about checks, just cash, cardholders checks, and money orders (and travelers checks and stored value cards lol) .

If you aren't planning on going through the gift letter, etc, you should deposit ther money several months before you need it. Otherwise keep a photocopy of the check and deposit slip and ask your lender for a gift letter form for your mother in law to sign.

When I bought my house my wife received two wire transfers from a pension account in Japan from cashing out her 2 years of social insurance money there. I asked my loan officer if it was going to be a problem or if I should just wait another 3 days for a new statement to cut so I could provide my 2 months of statements free of any strange deposits. He told me to go ahead with it the., When the underwriter saw the wires she wanted documentation that was difficult to produce since it came first to a Japanese bank account and then to our American account, and we needed the help of my wife's former supervisor in Japan and it took a week while we were trying to close. It was a gigantic pain in the rear end that could have been avoided with some careful planning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just put in an offer on a house.

I hope to have nothing more to provide to the thread than "I purchased the house", but this isn't my first time so I know I'll have some disasters to share soon.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

I just put in an offer on a house.

I hope to have nothing more to provide to the thread than "I purchased the house", but this isn't my first time so I know I'll have some disasters to share soon.

We put an offer in a bit ago, and wrapped up the inspections phase. Our agent and the inspector were a bit shocked to have a first time buyer be pretty cavalier about "I can fix that. I can fix that too. Hey, why doesn't the water softener have a bypass already installed?" Now we're just waiting for closing and trying to pack / consolidate.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I close on Monday, so gettin' ready for the immediate everything breaking.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Felter Chesthard posted:

I am looking at a home in a very new development, a couple phases are not yet complete, that will also be my first experience with an HOA. I asked for the CC&Rs while we were going through the model and she handed me a thumb drive with a bunch of PDFs. Unfortunately the budget and minutes from the last meeting were corrupted or something so I will have to go back but I wanted to ask about what I had. I thought most of the CC&Rs were generic, like restrictions on dog breed/size but my wife was concerned about a few. The majority of units have two car garages and it says garages must be maintained so that two cars can park inside, no workshops etc. Driving through the development it is clear people are parking in their driveways and along the street so I am thinking this is just to prevent a maniac from really going ham with a lift and everything? Is something like that usually enforced? Or does it just depend entirely on the individual HOA? There is also something about getting prior approval for fish tanks. I assumed this was for a Troy McClure situation, and we don't have fish anyway, but my wife thought it was ridiculous. This is just generic language right?

The fees are a reasonable $98 or $120

A day? A week? Month? Year? I'm guessing month but that still sucks unless they're actually doing something. But also: California lol. Mine is like 38 bucks a quarter and gets used to maintain some common areas.

quote:

depending on which host mentioned them the separate days we were there and the first phase was completed in 2016. There hasn't been a major issue yet that would drain the HOA but I don't know how exactly "healthy" it is. There are about 125 homes in the development and it is in Southern California. Is the answer to everything here - it depends and nobody can know anything until we can see the docs? I have only ever heard the downsides of the HOA.

I'm new to HOAs as of 11 months ago but possibly my experience could be useful to someone:

I got two nastygrams within the first three months or so. Printed and mailed to me and as far as I could tell I was supposed to respond by mail also. One was for having my garbage can visible from the street not within 24 hours of collection (which I didn't know that was the rule because lol like I read all that poo poo) so I had it alongside the house but not behind the fence.

The other was for weeds in my yard but I think they thought a sickly weird looking plant was a weed. But there were some (maybe 3) legit weeds maybe 4" high, so they weren't wrong. At the same time some of the older houses in the neighborhood have yards filled with smallish weeds (I'm guessing the houses are rentals), so I dunno. I think the bylaws say they can bill you 200 bucks a month or something for violations that go unrectified. Maybe the owner figures that 200 bucks a month for HOA violations are cheaper than paying for lawncare.

There's definitely no "garage must be able to fit two cars" provision. There is a provision that you can't have more cars in your driveway than you have garage stalls (i.e. 2 or 3). So people that would exceed that just park on the street. But you can definitely (legally) have three cars in your driveway and 0 in your garage.

You're not allowed to have more than a "reasonable" number of animals. Reasonable is defined as three. But it specifically says that fish and lizards and poo poo don't count. It's definitely a "we don't want you to have 6 giant rear end dogs or 30 outdoor cats" type thing.

Overall I'd say my HOA experience has been slightly positive. But that's also because one of my previous neighbors had literal 3' tall thistles growing in his front yard plus did all kinds of other objectionable poo poo that an HOA probably would have prevented.

Like others have said though, even if you think it's a "are they really gonna enforce that" provision, it doesn't mean they can't, and doesn't mean they won't, and doesn't mean they won't do so arbitrarily/unfairly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol