Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hat Thoughts posted:

i just want to say...i disagree about the guys head blowing up in Starship Troopers being primarily a laugh moment

It was the payoff to the "Medic!" joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Stop being a coward. Art is a fundamental form of communication and Starship Troopers has done far more to convince people the foils of militaristic fascism than 300 has ever done, which has actually in reverse, become an aesthetic sticking point for chuddite culture and led to an infinite escalator of "MOLON LABE" labels, tattoos, gun etching, and other embarrassing bullshit you can find nigh infinite examples of on the world wide web.

If your satire ends with people embracing the very loving thing you think you're satirizing, guess what buddy, it's a really lovely fuckin' satire! Maybe you're just a really fuckin' poor communicator!

You seem to be angry that "chuds" have appropriated Spartan ideals for themselves.

You know who posted:

But what about the apparent absurdity of the idea of dignity, freedom and Reason, sustained by extreme military discipline, including of the practice of discarding the weak children? This "absurdity" is simply the price of freedom - freedom is not free, as they put it in the film. Freedom is not something given, it is regained through a hard struggle in which one should be ready to risk everything. The Spartan ruthless military discipline is not simply the external opposite of the Athenian "liberal democracy," it is its inherent condition, it lays the foundation for it: the free subject of Reason can only emerge through a ruthless self-discipline... No wonder that all early modern egalitarian radicals, from Rousseau to Jacobins, admired Sparta and imagined the republican France as a new Sparta: there is an emancipatory core in the Spartan spirit of military discipline which survives even when we subtract all historical paraphernalia of Spartan class rule, ruthless exploitation of and terror over their slaves, etc.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Creepy Crawlers is getting a movie. The toys, not any actual creepy crawlers. No details and the toys are just making bugs so this could be so open ended it could go in any direction, if it does anything.

This is one of those toy cartoons that actually crossed the Atlantic. Don't know why though, I don't think the toys stood out in the slime department.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rptnx7V6py8

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

300 isn't secretly ironic or anything, Zach Snyder is a dumb jock not puppetmaster extraordinaire. It's played 100% straight and you're just supposed to think Spartans are cool badasses. Which is true within the context of the film.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

300 isn't secretly ironic or anything, Zach Snyder is a dumb jock not puppetmaster extraordinaire.

I can't believe someone is unironically calling a person a "dumb jock".

Also, no one is saying that Zack Snyder is a "puppetmaster". That would just be paranoid.

exquisite tea posted:

It's played 100% straight and you're just supposed to think Spartans are cool badasses. Which is true within the context of the film.

How so? Why are we supposed to think that?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 31, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well they're big hunky walls of manmeat who decapitate faceless hordes of badguys in slo-mo like a video game. It looks cool and the creators of 300 intend for you, the viewer to think it's cool, not sigh and pontificate upon man's inhumanity to man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Well they're big hunky walls of manmeat who decapitate faceless hordes of badguys in slo-mo like a video game. It looks cool and the creators of 300 intend for you, the viewer to think it's cool, not sigh and pontificate upon man's inhumanity to man.

If you're going to base your reading of the movie on what the creators of 300 intended, maybe you should have spent even a few minutes to research what the creators of 300 intended.

quote:

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign him in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder:
He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Q. And yet you’re completely on their side…
Zack Snyder:
You are on their side because that’s the point of view of the movie. Ultimately, a good movie takes you to one point of view. If I’d made this movie from the perspective of Ephialtes hopefully you’d be on his side. You’d go: “Oh my gosh, the Spartans are so mean to him! He’s just a hunchback. He’s trying to help! Screw them!” That would be cool. I could also have made the movie from Xerxes’ point of view and you might have said: “Those Spartans are crazy! They won’t listen!”

In his own words, the creator's intent is to draw you into the heroes' point of view, while showing how alien and monstrous it is.

By your reaction, it was a great success.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 31, 2018

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

sorry about your brain

e: lol when even bravest is owning you maybe it's time to hang up the posting hat there

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any interviews in which Snyder talks about The Fountainhead or Ayn Rand more generally? What is his stated view of her and her philosophy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you're going to base your reading of the movie on what the creators of 300 intended, maybe you should have spent even a few minutes to research what the creators of 300 intended.

In his own words, the creator's intent is to draw you into the heroes' point of view, while showing how alien and monstrous it is.

To be honest that sounds like something I would say when people read or listen to a piece I've written, and I go "oh yeah yeah I totally meant for all that to happen." In the visual language of the film itself there's nothing that really invites the viewer to think what they're watching is anything other than badass. Your knowledge that the Spartans weren't so great comes entirely from understanding that what you're seeing in 300 isn't reality in the slightest.

I don't really understand why people itt are so hostile, I'm basically saying exactly what Zach Snyder allegedly intends the viewers of 300 to experience (I still think he's dumb though. But 300 is a good movie).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are there any interviews in which Snyder talks about The Fountainhead or Ayn Rand more generally? What is his stated view of her and her philosophy?

I think someone mentioned an interview where he said Rand was "naive".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

To be honest that sounds like something I would say when people read or listen to a piece I've written, and I go "oh yeah yeah I totally meant for all that to happen."

A: "This is what the creator intended with this work."

B: "He seems to be saying the opposite here."

A: "Well he's lying."

exquisite tea posted:

But 300 is a good movie).

:agreed:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

I think someone mentioned an interview where he said Rand was "naive".

Right, I see. I shall have to take your word for it, because when I tried to Google "Zack Snyder Ayn Rand" I just ended up with tons of articles reporting that he's adapting The Fountainhead.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, I see. I shall have to take your word for it, because when I tried to Google "Zack Snyder Ayn Rand" I just ended up with tons of articles reporting that he's adapting The Fountainhead.

its from this,
https://irrationalgames.ghoststorygames.com/insider/irrational-interviews-episode-5-zack-snyder

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really understand why people itt are so hostile, I'm basically saying exactly what Zach Snyder allegedly intends the viewers of 300 to experience (I still think he's dumb though. But 300 is a good movie).
It's because your opinion is dumb.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

exquisite tea posted:

In the visual language of the film itself there's nothing that really invites the viewer to think what they're watching is anything other than badass.

You think murdering babies is badass?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This is sparta!!!!!!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Flatscan posted:

But it's just a guy telling a story?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Flatscan posted:

That firend I spoke of earlier when his wife gave birth was annoyed that I shaved the hoary beard and serial killer hair around that time because he wanted to film a reenactmemt of that scene with me deeming his infant worthy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This is sparta!!!!!!!

:nod:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Taintrunner posted:

Stop being a coward. Art is a fundamental form of communication and Starship Troopers has done far more to convince people the foils of militaristic fascism than 300 has ever done, which has actually in reverse, become an aesthetic sticking point for chuddite culture and led to an infinite escalator of "MOLON LABE" labels, tattoos, gun etching, and other embarrassing bullshit you can find nigh infinite examples of on the world wide web.

If your satire ends with people embracing the very loving thing you think you're satirizing, guess what buddy, it's a really lovely fuckin' satire! Maybe you're just a really fuckin' poor communicator!

I guess RoboCop is a lovely movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

Just the remake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

Just the remake

One of those movies where the intro is by far the best part and stands perfectly well on its own, like the GI Joe cartoon movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What I’ve gleaned from all this is that people have no actual criticism of the Spartans in the movie. The complaint centers around their choice of enemy: that the objectively awesome and flawless and badass Spartans are fighting ancient Iran.

So if we were to just rename Persia as The Chitauri, there would be no issue. Like with Pacific Rim.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

This is very wrong though since RoboCop 100% does not end on that note. Originally it was to end with another commercial/epilogue and stronger implication of Lois also being turned into a cyborg but test audiences were at maximum happiness and hype when at the very end when Murphy's revenge is complete and he has enough of his humanity back to really BE Murphy again and clearly know who he is and everything. But I think on another level they realized correctly that that was a perfect spot to end the movie on. It's a movie where he succeeds and is heroic because his friend helps him break his programming and remember his family and humanity, the exact opposite of ending on a note glorifying what the movie's been making fun of the whole time. If that were the case it wouldn't end with him continuing to try to hard to solve his own murder when throughout the film Bob Morton/etc. are of the opinion that Murphy as a person is long gone and now just another OCP product who is the perfect cop.

I mean I enjoyed 300 too and yeah it's satire but I would definitely say it's a failed one since so few seemed to realize what it was going for. RoboCop may have not been totally "gotten" a ten year old watching it or whatever but it also didn't lead to, well, the way bigoted people and conservatives received 300.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Missing from this discussion is the plethora of counterexamples: the chuds have embraced Black Panther (for largely the same reasons they are big fans of Israel), they have fully appropriated They Live for obvious reasons and are more than happy to embrace to 'insect horde' and 'border wall' imagery in Starship Troopers - fully aware of the playful irony in Nazis declaring victory over a drooling, psychic hive-mind vagina.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

This is very wrong though since RoboCop 100% does not end on that note. Originally it was to end with another commercial/epilogue and stronger implication of Lois also being turned into a cyborg but test audiences were at maximum happiness and hype when at the very end when Murphy's revenge is complete and he has enough of his humanity back to really BE Murphy again and clearly know who he is and everything. But I think on another level they realized correctly that that was a perfect spot to end the movie on. It's a movie where he succeeds and is heroic because his friend helps him break his programming and remember his family and humanity, the exact opposite of ending on a note glorifying what the movie's been making fun of the whole time. If that were the case it wouldn't end with him continuing to try to hard to solve his own murder when throughout the film Bob Morton/etc. are of the opinion that Murphy as a person is long gone and now just another OCP product who is the perfect cop.

I mean I enjoyed 300 too and yeah it's satire but I would definitely say it's a failed one since so few seemed to realize what it was going for. RoboCop may have not been totally "gotten" a ten year old watching it or whatever but it also didn't lead to, well, the way bigoted people and conservatives received 300.

The joke in Robocop is that becoming human makes Murphy easier to control. He’s more comfortable, more compliant, and now OCP has a police drone ‘with a human face’.

You yourself are beaming about how his work is over, he can stop fighting and live happily - even though the evil corporation is still there, and he still works for them.

Like, that’s the entire point of the movie.

You have unambiguously misunderstood Robocop, so by your standards it is a failed movie. But the truth is that Robocop rules and you’ve failed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What I’ve gleaned from all this is that people have no actual criticism of the Spartans in the movie. The complaint centers around their choice of enemy: that the objectively awesome and flawless and badass Spartans are fighting ancient Iran.

So if we were to just rename Persia as The Chitauri, there would be no issue. Like with Pacific Rim.

The funny thing is that it can be read the other way, with the Spartans as heroic Jihadis defending themselves against the egomaniac ruler of an all-consuming, diverse and depraved American empire.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that it can be read the other way, with the Spartans as heroic Jihadis defending themselves against the egomaniac ruler of an all-consuming, diverse and depraved American empire.

Exactly: it’s tricked a bunch of centrists into openly supporting imperialism, the same way Rasa’s been tricked into trumpeting the beauty of ‘ethical’ corporations, the police state, family values, and naked populism.

Because at least he’s not a conservative.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Missing from this discussion is the plethora of counterexamples: the chuds have embraced Black Panther (for largely the same reasons they are big fans of Israel), they have fully appropriated They Live for obvious reasons and are more than happy to embrace to 'insect horde' and 'border wall' imagery in Starship Troopers - fully aware of the playful irony in Nazis declaring victory over a drooling, psychic hive-mind vagina.

I mean, is everyone on earth thinking they're the Rebel Alliance and people they don't like are the Galactic Empire no matter a story's context because Hollywood's good at keeping things just vague enough really something that has to be brought up regularly at this point?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Apparently so, given that the subject of 'liking things for the wrong reasons' is such a perennial topic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol smg is here. Lemme get a hot take with some Nutella and raspberry sauce

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alan Smithee posted:

lol smg is here. Lemme get a hot take with some Nutella and raspberry sauce

You mean a hot crepe

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

After watching 300 I want to gently caress a spartan

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

After watching 300 I want to gently caress a spartan

Those guys were CGI af tho

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean, is everyone on earth thinking they're the Rebel Alliance and people they don't like are the Galactic Empire no matter a story's context because Hollywood's good at keeping things just vague enough really something that has to be brought up regularly at this point?

As I understand it, Lucas's idea was that the Empire and the Rebels were respectively analogous to America and the Viet Cong, and he hoped that he could make people think about the issues around the Vietnam War. The problem with that is that Americans almost always think they and their country are the scrappy underdogs standing up to the man even when they're at the height of their power.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I understand it, Lucas's idea was that the Empire and the Rebels were respectively analogous to America and the Viet Cong, and he hoped that he could make people think about the issues around the Vietnam War. The problem with that is that Americans almost always think they and their country are the scrappy underdogs standing up to the man even when they're at the height of their power.

Pretty much, it's a lost cause to expect otherwise.

syscall girl posted:

Those guys were CGI af tho

It's pretty impressive how much of the movie is not CG even if a lot of the scenery typically was. Like I love the look of the wolf at the beginning with the glowing eyes and stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Apparently so, given that the subject of 'liking things for the wrong reasons' is such a perennial topic.

Yeah but there's only one poster in CineD who makes "liking things for the wrong reasons" a perennial topic. There is no wrong or right reason to like a thing, which is why I'd say that if 300 is liked a by a large number of racist pieces of poo poo for upholding their views then Snyder failed in his intent. There's always people who unironically think General Zod or the Red Skull are awesome, but there's a huge stretch from that one Brazilian dude getting face mods and the impact and emboldening 300 had.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Emboldening? That's quite a claim.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Authorial intent was what I was trying to figure out in the first place. Thanks for posting that; I'll take Zach Snyder at his word and not assume he said that just to save face after the fact.

That said, I can't concede that Snyder executed his vision with much success. I mean 300 is a very entertaining movie but I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as any Verhoeven film re: effectiveness of satire. That's just my opinion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think 300 made much of an impact on me. I guess it was okay, but I don't remember a lot of it other than the big fat guy with hooves and these weird bone swords for hands. That guy looked like a Hellraiser monster.

I remember enjoying Watchmen a lot (but haven't watched it in a while) except the ending being changed. I get that the giant space squid probably would've been a hard sell but I liked that ending better.