Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flaggy posted:

So my son is learning to play D&D and I am trying to learn with him, is there a resources for old dumb people like me who need someone to walk step by step on how to play? It has to be REAL dumbed down. I haven't played since 1st Edition and have forgotten everything. Alternatively, is there a resource he can use to become a better DM, we play 1 shots every night, but he has a tough time conveying the rules to us and setting up the world. He plays every Saturday night at the local comic shop during their Encounters program which has been helpful, but I would like to have a better understanding of the rules. I have dozens of questions on the most basic stuff that I think he is getting confused on. We have tried the Starter Set, and we have all 3 of the main books.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3K_mfkfibJrCeClm2kczfOiA0sSuBIwf9ggBJ9b_Is/edit?usp=drivesdk

try this. I wrote it with the intent of it being an introductory text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Welp, I passed on picking up a copy of Apocalypse World at PAX East, now I need to find a copy. I’ll check my local shop before resorting to Amazon.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Hard to tell what the fighter and wizard subclasses are like without seeing the psionic spell list. But the monk seems alright* — Bonus action to melee attack from 30 feet away, or battlemaster-buff your flurry of blows is neat. And I like the idea of Spectral Blades, optionally being able to change an attack to a dex save instead.

*never played a monk, haven't thought about it too hard.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The Mentalist is fine, though I feel like its special abilities should just be written out rather than getting "it's this spell, except with such and such changes." Just write out the whole effect with the alterations included, you practically take up the same amount of space describing how it's different.

The Soul Knife I like a lot; it's a monk that does some extra interesting stuff. It has some abilities that evoke being having psychic or telekinetic powers without just being spells, which I'm fond of. Aura Sight in particular is evocative and provides some interesting out-of-combat features that fit the kind of wise mystic aesthetic they're going for.

Psychic Warrior I don't like at all. It feels better than Eldritch Knight in every way, giving you a 1-per-round Smite, extra group damage, and minor slot recovery. It certainly works as what the archetype name would describe, but while it's pretty strong, it's not very interesting.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

kidkissinger posted:

Do you think the world is ready for a cis het white male introvert to join the world of improv?

He said take an improv class, not start a podcast.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Of those three Soul Knife seems like the one I'd actually play

especially since it'll give me an excuse to constantly refer to the soul knife as the focused totality of my psychic powers

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

Psychic Warrior I don't like at all. It feels better than Eldritch Knight in every way, giving you a 1-per-round Smite, extra group damage, and minor slot recovery. It certainly works as what the archetype name would describe, but while it's pretty strong, it's not very interesting.

Being stronger than Eldritch Knight doesn't necessarily mean "Too Strong". Eldritch Knight really needs a buff at the early levels, up through at least level 6, where its two or three L1 spellslots don't really cut the mustard. (Compare against the Battlemasters three manoeuvres and four superiority dice, with manoeuvres being generally more useful than L1 spells).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Kraken patron feels like it would be fun to play in a real game. Just zap your own brains out with lightning call and turn into Palpatine.
Disaster barbarians level 10 ability seems sort of bad, but the rest is promising, if a bit rough around the edges. Move the level 14 ability to 10 and create a new level 14 power move?

edit: what's the big deal with psionics? Isn't it just a new class of magic?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Undead Hippo posted:

Being stronger than Eldritch Knight doesn't necessarily mean "Too Strong". Eldritch Knight really needs a buff at the early levels, up through at least level 6, where its two or three L1 spellslots don't really cut the mustard. (Compare against the Battlemasters three manoeuvres and four superiority dice, with manoeuvres being generally more useful than L1 spells).

Comparing any Fighter archetype to Battle Master is disingenuous because everyone knows it to be on an entirely different level than the rest. If you're playing Fighter, there is literally never any reason to choose another archetype, which is yet another issue Fighter has.

I'm not even saying Battle Master is poorly designed or a bad fit for Fighter. It's just that its features are too strong to be relegated to a subclass. It should either be a primary feature of the Fighter for the archetypes to work with, or else it should be moved into another class of its own (and I'm sure I'm not the first person who has thought "this would be a good starting point for adapting Warlord").

But I would agree that Eldritch Knight could definitely be better. It feels like they were worried about adding too much to a spellcasting Fighter, but they ended up not giving it enough instead.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
How overpowered would giving both all Battlemaster features and another path be? Would it risk creating too much competition over bonus actions?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CeallaSo posted:

Comparing any Fighter archetype to Battle Master is disingenuous because everyone knows it to be on an entirely different level than the rest. If you're playing Fighter, there is literally never any reason to choose another archetype, which is yet another issue Fighter has.

I'm not even saying Battle Master is poorly designed or a bad fit for Fighter. It's just that its features are too strong to be relegated to a subclass. It should either be a primary feature of the Fighter for the archetypes to work with, or else it should be moved into another class of its own (and I'm sure I'm not the first person who has thought "this would be a good starting point for adapting Warlord").

But I would agree that Eldritch Knight could definitely be better. It feels like they were worried about adding too much to a spellcasting Fighter, but they ended up not giving it enough instead.

Eldritch Knight basically just feels like "Cast Shield spell x/long rest" is the class feature, not spellcasting. Which is too bad, because everyone loves the idea. Fighter 1/(casting class) X just works better for it though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm if the Eldritch Knight can get Elemental Weapon it can get the Brute's damage feature much of the time. Brute's will eventually go up, but higher slots give better damage than the Brute ever gets.

Otherwise there are probably other buffs the Eldritch Knight would want. And yeah Shield on a high AC fighter is pretty good.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

NeurosisHead posted:

Eldritch Knight basically just feels like "Cast Shield spell x/long rest" is the class feature, not spellcasting. Which is too bad, because everyone loves the idea. Fighter 1/(casting class) X just works better for it though.

Yes, this is EK in a nutshell.

Shield + Absorb Elements. You can pick some utility spellcasting too but usage is going to compete with your combat potential.

You can also make a bit of a case for the SCAG cantrips giving them a decent offense boost, but it doesn't work once the EK gets to 11 or if they take Polearm Master.

Still, best archetype besides BM.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

CJ posted:

The fighter gets psychic divine smite.

That's dumb.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
How much would it help EK to ease the magic school restriction? Say, one school must be Abjuration or Evocation, and the other is free choice?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

inthesto posted:

How much would it help EK to ease the magic school restriction? Say, one school must be Abjuration or Evocation, and the other is free choice?

Not a whole bunch, since the spells they really want are already Abjuration and Evocation.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
EK really need access to paladin smites or cleric spells to juice themselves up.

We've got EK, AT, even lovely 4e monks that all get arcane spells, but none of those classes has a similar subclass for divine magic. Everybody gotta be a wizard.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Well, yeah. A divine fighter that smites is called the paladin.

For the record, I think EK should be allowed to get smites too, because what's more magic than lighting your blade on fire? Heck, pull a PF Magus and let you deliver all of your spells via your weapon instead.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

The Bee posted:

Well, yeah. A divine fighter that smites is called the paladin.

For the record, I think EK should be allowed to get smites too, because what's more magic than lighting your blade on fire? Heck, pull a PF Magus and let you deliver all of your spells via your weapon instead.

The smite spells (rather than the paladin class ability) really do feel like they were meant more for the EK than paladin. Pretty sure they're Paladin only though, because Paladins definitely needed something that consumes both a bonus action and potentially concentration slot to do extra damage on melee attacks.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The smite spells aren't even good unless you happen to be facing an enemy who is hard countered by one of the secondary effects.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My GM let me keep the old UA-Hexblade's spell list, which is probably a bad idea because opening every fight with three Destructive Waves is probably not the way encounters are meant to be balanced.

It's taken us literally years to get through the whole HotDQ/RoT campaign though and I already have Hazirawn for sick single-target deeps so I guess in the long run it doesn't matter too much, just "yeah your character annihilates enemies if not CCed".

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Been playing Hoard, getting close to the end, and our Hexblade actually destroyed Hazirawn in our evil game.

Yeah was pretty shocked about that.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I just wish I could easily make a fighter who can cast silence and enlarge so I can grapple and murder all Wizards until they inevitably get a bullshit spell to ignore that (like freedom of motion).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, that's more than doable. First you just play as a Bard, and... :v:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
My home have just hit 17 so I guess we will get to see Wish in action. Meanwhile the rogue can now turn a miss into another swing to maybe hit.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ritorix posted:

My home have just hit 17 so I guess we will get to see Wish in action. Meanwhile the rogue can now turn a miss into another swing to maybe hit.

No, that's your level 20 ability.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ritorix posted:

"Well, our group just hit level 17, so now once per short rest the Rogue can add advantage to a missed attack and our Wizard can alter reality."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, that's your level 20 ability.

Actually the Swashbuckler gets the ability to reroll misses with advantage at level 17 once per rest.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually the Swashbuckler gets the ability to reroll misses with advantage at level 17 once per rest.

Well I guess that settles it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's just a weaker version of the capstone ability really.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of Wizard/Fighters, what is considered the best number of Fighter levels for a War Wizard to take? I'm tempted by level 2 to get action surge, then War Wizard all the way (preferably with the Alert feat to have awesome first turns).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ritorix posted:

The wizard can Wish for a Simulacrum of the rogue, toss it a couple of swords, and bam the rogue can just retire

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Would getting a single level in Warrior be a better plan than going and getting the "Heavily Armoured" proficicency on my Warlock. It seems as if there are a lot more options if I did decide to get it as opposed to giving up a stat boost opportunity.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Josef bugman posted:

Would getting a single level in Warrior be a better plan than going and getting the "Heavily Armoured" proficicency on my Warlock. It seems as if there are a lot more options if I did decide to get it as opposed to giving up a stat boost opportunity.

Starting with a single level of fighter would be better than the heavily armored feat. I don't believe you get any of the proficiencies if you multi class into fighter later though. I'm not in front of a PHB to check though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s the case.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

That’s the case.

Piss it. Can I not get training any other way to use heavy armour? I'd like to have it but gently caress wasting increased ability scores.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Heavy Armor:
- Taking the Heavily Armored feat (requires already being proficient in Medium Armor)
- Taking your First Level in either Paladin or Fighter.
- Multiclassing a Cleric Domain that grants Heavy Armor proficiency.

Medium Armor: (all these options generally, but not always, grant Shield proficiency)
- Taking the Moderately Armored feat (requires already being proficient in Light Armor)
- Taking your First Level in Barbarian.
- Multiclassing into Fighter, Paladin, Cleric, Druid, Ranger or Hexblade Patron Warlock.
- Multiclassing and leveling up into a Bard Archetype that grants Medium Armor (College of Swords, College of Valor).
- Being a Mountain Dwarf.

Light Armor:
- Taking the Lightly Armored feat.
- Taking a level in any class except Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer and Wizard.

These are the only ways.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm playing a hexblade, so might try grabbing a storm domain thing as an option.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Do you have 15 Strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Do you have 15 Strength?

I am one short atm.