Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

WarMECH posted:

This part stood out to me, as well. Like any restaurant would just take a notepad list of credit card numbers and start running them to see if one worked instead of immediately calling the police.

No restaurant YOU go to, maybe, but if it's a VERY nice restaurant where you're a VERY REGULAR AND HIGH PAYING regular you'd be surprised at the level of poo poo you can get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
almost every restaurant makes like 0.05 to 3% of all revenue from one fuckwad

if you are that fuckwad, you can get away with a lot

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I think I found zaurg's investment strats: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoMarkets/comments/8n6km8/one_month_ago_i_invested_nzd_10000_in_50_of_the/

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoodwinker posted:

If she had somehow pulled it all off it would have basically been the American Dream: convince everybody else to finance it, make it rich by force of personality, and never pay any of your debt back.

Step 4: become president.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

[–]SwoleFlex_MuscleNeck 1 point 8 hours ago
Hasn't sold, hasn't lost.

They've only lost if you're committing that none of these coins will recover.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bad With Money Thread: They've only lost if you're committing that none of these coins will recover.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol

quote:

I like how you labeled the column "increase" rather than "change", pretty positive in december I see

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Step 4: become president.
*Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park saying, "Well, there it is."*

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m just going to drop this here...

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1001551327200194560

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

This is a bummer. She's BWM but getting canned with no recourse is hosed up. The crypto is dumb, obviously.

I'd say cash out her crypto and pay the minimums while she gets a new job ASAP. That's gotta be priority number 1.

And maybe talk to a lawyer.

Almost everyone anywhere in the United States can lose their job with no notice and no reason. Employment contracts that prevent you from being fired on the spot are the exception, not the rule.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If that scamming 20-something got away with it that would have been pretty amazing. Scamming the guy that got Jordan Belfort.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Getting fired and not having enough money to live is one of my biggest fears. Since I got a new job 2 months ago I’ve been frantically trying to get back up to 6 months of living expenses at my current standard and it’s looking like it’s going to take a year at this rate to get to it. Ugh

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

John Smith posted:

This is the correct approach. You should take out a larger loan to cover your living expenses rather than work. The ROI is likely justificable as an investment.

Of course, it should be understood that it is not a bullshit major, and you are working during school breaks and all. But not working during term time is entirely justifiable.

Right. So she should be contributing to expenses by taking out student loans, not having her brother cover for her.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ebola Roulette posted:

Right. So she should be contributing to expenses by taking out student loans, not having her brother cover for her.
Yes, in this case. But if her brother was well-off and willing, I see no reason why he can't support family in a worthy pursuit.

She already has a job, her job is being a student. And this is coming from a far-right extremist. The days of paying for college by doing part-time jobs is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over.

(usual disclaimer if she is instead studying liberal arts, the humanities or similar nonsense)

John Smith fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 31, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

George H.W. oval office posted:

Getting fired and not having enough money to live is one of my biggest fears. Since I got a new job 2 months ago I’ve been frantically trying to get back up to 6 months of living expenses at my current standard and it’s looking like it’s going to take a year at this rate to get to it. Ugh

Yeah, I've been off work since January on unpaid medical leave, and I'm living my financial nightmare.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I've been off work since January on unpaid medical leave, and I'm living my financial nightmare.
Thought you were extremely wealthy, if I recall correctly. Just live a little and rest up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Living in a country where any minor health incident can hoover up infinite amounts of resources regardless of insurance status: very bad with money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

John Smith posted:

Thought you were extremely wealthy, if I recall correctly. Just live a little and rest up.

Rational or not, not having income makes me pretty anxious.

I suspect something similar motivates people to drive Uber and friends when unemployed. It’s BWM long term, but it’s income in the moment.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

John Smith posted:

Nobody who earns their own money is wealthy enough to do this ad nauseum without it impacting their current or future financial reality.

He's a high earner not a loving rentier.

edit: also Sub I hope things improve on your health front soon.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The scammer lady story is the perfect illustration of how pervasive the culture of "rich people deserve free money" is in the world and especially America. If you act rich, people will think you're rich and plenty will happily give you money. Even if your net worth is literally lower than a homeless person's. She wasn't even particularly good at it - if she was better she'd have gotten away and actually been able to leverage the money into good permanent income. Well, I guess she was really good at networking and at playing people's heartstrings, she just wasn't good at not getting herself tangled to the point of collapse.

You can bet that as soon as she gets out of prison she's going right back to doing the same thing, and will be plenty successful at it.

I do definitely respect the sheer audacity of it, though. And I'm fully okay with scamming rich people. I just think it's a very illustrative example of certain cultural elements I don't like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Thanks man. Things are getting better, but we’re not there yet. Really appreciate the support.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The scammer lady story is the perfect illustration of how pervasive the culture of "rich people deserve free money" is in the world and especially America. If you act rich, people will think you're rich and plenty will happily give you money. Even if your net worth is literally lower than a homeless person's. She wasn't even particularly good at it - if she was better she'd have gotten away and actually been able to leverage the money into good permanent income. Well, I guess she was really good at networking and at playing people's heartstrings, she just wasn't good at not getting herself tangled to the point of collapse.

You can bet that as soon as she gets out of prison she's going right back to doing the same thing, and will be plenty successful at it.

I do definitely respect the sheer audacity of it, though. And I'm fully okay with scamming rich people. I just think it's a very illustrative example of certain cultural elements I don't like.

One of the most important lessons I learned at my prestigious small college was that if you're 1) white, 2) well-dressed and 3) walk in like you own the place, people will bend over backwards to accommodate you. You can say or do almost anything, ask almost any question and get away with manslaughter if you've got the right mindset and approach.

edit: And by "white" I don't even mean ethnically white, your English just has to be "just so" and you have to read as non-threatening. Well-dressed doesn't even mean expensive clothes, just ones that fit a certain way and read a certain style. Walking in like you own the place never means boisterously, it means with a quiet and assured confidence. The owner is often not an rear end in a top hat, sometimes they're just very cleverly self aware and self depricating.

All of this was an extraordinary hidden curriculum that took years to learn, but basically it meant that a bunch of doors were open that were otherwise shut because of the way I'd grown up.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 31, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

My favorite part of that article was how she's now prison buddies with some woman who has been stealing identities and had "no idea it was so easy!"

She's basically taking prison as an accelerated training class.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Acting like an authority figure is almost like a video game God mode. If you project the right frequency, you can get away with a lot.

Just look at that guy who managed to make McDonalds employees strip and do stupid poo poo over the phone. Or any number of people who socially engineer others for information or access. You just can't slip up because the moment anyone doubts your position the gig is up. My job sometimes involves me calling our retail locations and asking them to do stuff in their server rooms that sounds suspicious without any real evidence to prove who I am. When I first started doing it I'd get pushback until I realized I have to operate like I'm their boss and their free choice in this matter is not even a consideration.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

My job sometimes involves me calling our retail locations and asking them to do stuff in their server rooms that sounds suspicious without any real evidence to prove who I am. When I first started doing it I'd get pushback until I realized I have to operate like I'm their boss and their free choice in this matter is not even a consideration.

That is some horrifyingly bad lack of security procedures you got going on there.

Are you looking for another job? Because this is how companies blow up overnight.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Nobody who earns their own money is wealthy enough to do this ad nauseum without it impacting their current or future financial reality.

Wasn't Subjunctive a managing partner in a vc firm

They don't let you do that unless you have close to real capitalist amounts of money

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some firms definitely do, I can tell you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Some firms definitely do, I can tell you.

Accredited investor in us is a million bucks lying around, iirc, although that one doesn't mean much. Although you can fulfill that one with a partnership at a vc firm, iirc.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Subjunctive posted:

I suspect something similar motivates people to drive Uber and friends when unemployed. It’s BWM long term, but it’s income in the moment.

:smith::hf::smith:

I'm in a bit of a self-imposed pickle, and due to laziness and diagnosed depression, it's still going on.

Anyways, content:

A $523 monthly payment is the new standard for car buyers
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/31/a-523-monthly-payment-is-the-new-standard-for-car-buyers.html

We've done the rent vs buy discussion a dozen times already so no need to get in to that. But $523 before insurance?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 31, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just found out that someone I know pays $135 for a 1-hour yoga session (almost) every week.

In the exact same building, they have a different yoga class for $15 per session.

Why is one class $120 more expensive? There's two reasons:

1) One has a class size limit of ~20 and the other has no limit.

According to her, the no limit class usually has 40-50 people. That means you get more "one-on-one guidance" in the expensive class.

2) The more expensive class is instructed by "an actual Hatha Yoga Guru."

The "actual Hatha Yoga Guru" is a 23-year old white girl.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, one of my friends asked me for advice on how to balance transfer a large balance from a credit card for free to a low/no interest card.

He got approved for one, but they only let him do $1,500 for free.

Apparently, he has spent around $8,000 (the total balance between two cards is close to $10,000, but roughly $1,000 and change is from interest) on guns and gun accessories in the past year and a half.

Everytime there is a shooting in the news, he has panicked and bought a ton of guns/extended magazines/ammo cannisters with the idea that he will keep one or two and sell the rest for a big profit.

Demand has apparently plummeted from the high prices that he bought them at immediately after there was talk of gun control (2016 and early 2017) and he can't sell any of them for anything close to what he paid.

Now, he spent $3,000 on a giant gun safe to store them because he is going to hold onto them until he can sell for a large profit like he planned. But the interest from credit cards means he has to sell them at 250-300% of what he paid for them - which was a previous record high for price - to make a profit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Nevermind

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That's...astounding.

I know one person with a car payment that high, but it's because she cleverly took out an equity loan to bail out an idiotic family member and is now upside down as all hell.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I just found out that someone I know pays $135 for a 1-hour yoga session (almost) every week.

In the exact same building, they have a different yoga class for $15 per session.

Why is one class $120 more expensive? There's two reasons:

1) One has a class size limit of ~20 and the other has no limit.

According to her, the no limit class usually has 40-50 people. That means you get more "one-on-one guidance" in the expensive class.

2) The more expensive class is instructed by "an actual Hatha Yoga Guru."

The "actual Hatha Yoga Guru" is a 23-year old white girl.
This "actual Hatha Yoga Guru" paid $2,000+ to go through a course that made her as such. I am almost certain of it. That is how these things operate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That is some horrifyingly bad lack of security procedures you got going on there.

Are you looking for another job? Because this is how companies blow up overnight.

To be honest even if I wanted to wreck havoc and have them shut down crucial systems, the stores would operate just as they would without power and they'd put two and two together pretty quickly. It's not like I have physical access to devices.

But the point still stands that I have to approach it as if they'll assume I'm shifty and put them at ease with nothing more than my soothing voice, trustworthy demeanor, and all the authority that a 'call from corporate' entails. The only way to really prevent that kind of social engineering that is to have rock solid rules that people won't get in trouble following. Which is why you see the 'We Card Everybody' or 'no menu substitutions' signs.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, one of my friends asked me for advice on how to balance transfer a large balance from a credit card for free to a low/no interest card.

He got approved for one, but they only let him do $1,500 for free.

Apparently, he has spent around $8,000 (the total balance between two cards is close to $10,000, but roughly $1,000 and change is from interest) on guns and gun accessories in the past year and a half.

Everytime there is a shooting in the news, he has panicked and bought a ton of guns/extended magazines/ammo cannisters with the idea that he will keep one or two and sell the rest for a big profit.

Demand has apparently plummeted from the high prices that he bought them at immediately after there was talk of gun control (2016 and early 2017) and he can't sell any of them for anything close to what he paid.

Now, he spent $3,000 on a giant gun safe to store them because he is going to hold onto them until he can sell for a large profit like he planned. But the interest from credit cards means he has to sell them at 250-300% of what he paid for them - which was a previous record high for price - to make a profit.

I knew a guy who bought an ar-15 during the assault weapon ban for $1500ish as an investment. He tried to sell it to me a few years ago and was surprised to learn that the AWB had expired nearly a decade earlier and that he would be lucky to get $500 for the thing. He told me he would just hold on to the thing until the price went back up. The guy didnt even shoot so doesnt get any value out of having the drat thing beyond not having to admit he made a bad investment.

CellarDweller fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 31, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Take a nail file to the serials and you can sell those rifles for 2 or 3 times what you paid.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

Take a nail file to the serials and you can sell those rifles for 2 or 3 times what you paid.

To a fed.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

From a emotional perspective, I understand and agree with you.

Nonetheless from a logical perspective, I think the best action is to focus on recovering and not worry about less considerations (such as finance, in your specific case). Still, easier said than done.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It is a one-time deal, from the wording of his post. Hopefully, at least.

Truthfully, I have much of this same financial anxiety as you. But that is what wealth is for, to minimize your fears at your time of need. And he is in need.

CellarDweller posted:

I knew a guy who bought an ar-15 during the assault weapon ban for $1500ish as an investment. He tried to sell it to me a few years ago and was surprised to learn that the AWB had expired nearly a decade earlier and that he would be lucky to get $500 for the thing. He told me he would just hold on to the thing until the price went back up. The guy didnt even shoot so doesnt get any value out of having the drat thing beyond not having to admit he made a bad investment.
Think a pre-1986 machine gun is worth a lot by now though.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Accredited investor in us is a million bucks lying around, iirc, although that one doesn't mean much. Although you can fulfill that one with a partnership at a vc firm, iirc.

You can meet accreditation with a high salary too, in the US and Canada. But being a GP isn’t an arms length investment in the fund, so it doesn’t really matter.