Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

well of course the flip side of jury nullification is a malicious jury. supposedly a judge can overrule an unreasonable guilty verdict but, well, let's open our textbooks to "Alabama" and

founding loving father for those who pretend those guys are still relevant

B. Frank posted:

it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sagebrush posted:

well of course the flip side of jury nullification is a malicious jury. supposedly a judge can overrule an unreasonable guilty verdict but, well, let's open our textbooks to "Alabama" and

pls don't even mistake what I'm saying into "all jury nullifications are good"
there's the form of jury nullification where the jury interprets a criminal statute, appending ", except if they are a cop".

the form of jury nullification that people like to hold out as Morally Good is when a bunch of jurors agree that the law under which the accused is charged is bullshit, ergo no conviction even if the facts prove beyond a reasonable doubt

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prisoner of waffles posted:

the form of jury nullification that people like to hold out as Morally Good is when a bunch of jurors agree that the law under which the accused is charged is bullshit because they are a cop, ergo no conviction even if the facts prove beyond a reasonable doubt

Sadly, this is literally the median state of moral cognition in America.

Take a jury if you're guilty, a bench if you're innocent.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
pretty sure there is no jury that actually believes the law against murder is bullshit

though I'm pretty sure that jury has a pretty good chance in the mad max future

juries that want to let cops off can usually claim a 'reasonable doubt' and That's Different

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are you allowed to lie when they ask you those questions during selection?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bump_fn posted:

No, you’re generally under oath.

Doesn’t stop anyone, of course. Though I have seen a judge throw someone in jail for a night for contempt of court when it was really obvious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bump_fn posted:

well i mean you can do whatever you want but lying under oath is perjury.

also you're up there being questioned by two lawyers and a judge who probably speak to thousands of potential jurors a year and whose entire daily business is to find the truth and catch people in lies and trick you into giving yourself away so good luck.

on a prior jury summons i saw one guy tried to claim that he didn't speak english. asian guy and he was forcing a heavy chinese accent and speaking really slowly. he went up to the judge and it went like this:

"mr. whatever, you've written here that you don't speak english?"
"...yes"
"what do you do for a living?"
"i....what...."
"what's your job?"
"i...drive bus"
"oh you do. you drive a bus. big bus?"
"yes...big bus..."
"like a city bus?"
"yes...for city"
"you have to get some kind of special driver's license for that? commercial license?"
"i...license...."
"you're saying you don't speak enough english to understand our conversation but you passed the DMV's commercial licensing tests."
(silence)
"don't pull this bullshit on me. petition denied. see you tomorrow."

took about 30 seconds

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 31, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

it is a fucky system but i admit that it is better than pretty much any other alternative. having one group make the law, another group determine guilt, and a third set the sentence gives you a lot of checks and balances.

the separation of powers is entirely orthogonal to the problems in american "justice"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this thread is reminding me I should condition my horween vans

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
im the fat nerds giving fashion advice

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

epic sockpuppetry

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

turn your monitor on

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

epic shoepuppetry

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

prisoner of waffles posted:

pls don't even mistake what I'm saying into "all jury nullifications are good"
there's the form of jury nullification where the jury interprets a criminal statute, appending ", except if they are a cop".

the form of jury nullification that people like to hold out as Morally Good is when a bunch of jurors agree that the law under which the accused is charged is bullshit, ergo no conviction even if the facts prove beyond a reasonable doubt

https://twitter.com/pgourevitch/status/1002036067082670080?s=21

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this thread also reminded me to check if blackv club was still in business but it appears they are not

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

this thread is doomed(er)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

this thread also reminded me to check if blackv club was still in business but it appears they are not

That reminds me, I should get some t-shirts. I don't have any.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in maine voir dire is done shotgun style. they pack the 200 summoned potential jurors into the courtroom and the judge asks a handful of the most common questions (are u family of a cop? are u family of the accused? do u hate cops? do you hate $RaceOfTheAccused? etc...) and then at the end theres a "Is there any other reason you shouldn't be considered?"

no personal interviews or anything.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

every night before i go to bed i get on my shoe app, upload tomorrow's outfit and the appropriate shoes are waiting out by my door the next morning. I pay an extra $2 per month to get nicer shoes, and it's reall-

nm they went bankrupt while i was typing this

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
yosposters getting roasted itt

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3819910&perpage=40&pagenumber=135#pti11

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I had grand jury duty recently and god drat the authoritarian fucks that made up the rest of the jury really pissed me off. They all just wanted to send every single thing to trial.

Then in the last day we got shown a murder and it hosed everyone up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

this thread is reminding me I should condition my horween vans

do they make those in any natural colors or can you still only get them in the crayon ones

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mods know what's up

Jose posted:

i followed that link and it appears to be 2 posters melting down that other people get paid well and dress lazy as gently caress

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

Yea I mean would he even be able to see out of the jury box?

graph posted:

t-tori parachute ?!?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

My 4 4 1/2 year old displays judgment and sobriety of character far in advance of Tori, TYVM.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

do they make those in any natural colors or can you still only get them in the crayon ones
they do but they're vault releases so the non-ugly colors sell out pretty fast. there's plenty floating around on ebay though

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no one who posts in yospos actually thinks we are helping the world

(maybe some lurkers are learning something, but i doubt it)

I kind of do, our product extends the usable lifetime of eNodeBs before they have to be replaced or upgraded. Hooray for making things more efficient and reducing waste.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

jeans + dress shoes is gross

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Trabandiumium posted:

that whole shoe derail is guillotine worthy

when the revolution comes, all of yospos is against the wall

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my good posting will save me

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will definitely be in trouble after the revolution as a class traitor but I'll be pretty far down the list so I might have time to escape

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my ability to return to my working class accent and roots will save me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
just by the by i was not insisting real shoes are a requirement at all workplaces, just at many workplaces. it doesn't matter whether you like them, dislike them, or have no feelings at all, the requirements will be the same

you gotta stop thinking of clothes as a means of personal expression, and instead think of them as a uniform that identifies who the conformist fucks are

if my boss wore clown shoes, a fright wig, and a literal red loving nose to work, so would i

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*chained to a wall*
if I die who's going to help you make a user friendly system for generating purge reports? you need me.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my good posting will save me

same, but my bad posting, as people will take pity on me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's class signalling and trying to deny it just makes you sound poor

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm the guy that wears what are basically more expensive umbros and tshirts and hippie shoes to work, at least in the summer :getin:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i wear a faberge barrel. really confuses people as to my socioeconomic standing. :twisted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i wear a one piece grey unitard every day, same as all the other computer touchers in sector five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
i have the objectively best jury duty story - i got called up to do it at the old bailey (the central criminal court, which takes all the juiciest cases from all over the country). they had a lot of jurors coming in the same day as me so instead of doing the briefing in one of the small courts they put us all in number 1 court - i ended up sitting in one of the press benches. as more and more people came in the staff started looking worried and whispering, and eventually every single seat (including the judges bench) was full and they still needed more space.

then the head juror-wrangler or whatever silly title they give them stood up and said "we still have about ten more people to come in, but there are no more seats - we really hate to do this but is anyone willing to volunteer to sit in the dock?" i swear i almost dislocated my shoulder my hand went up so quick, so i got to sit in the main defendant's chair in the dock (there's actually like four benches in there, it sits a dozen people pretty easily) and fight every urge in my body to scream "YOU'VE GOT NOTHING, I AINT GOING DOWN FOR THIS YOU SLAAAAAGS".

then they discharged me and a bunch of other because a bunch of people pleaded guilty at the very last minute so i got the rest of the day off and still got paid for it, so yay. it also counts as me completing jury service so i can tell them to get hosed for the next five years if my name comes up again.