Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My favourite fan-theory is that the Towers are incubators/training grounds created by the god of the outside for individuals who'll eventually pop out of the top as Axis. Jahad was meant to do this but instead stopped and went to sleep, but Arlene escaping the tower and the entire thing around Baam's birth told the god what was going on. Enryu got sent in to cause hell on behalf of god/Arlene and deliver the thorn for Baam to eventually find, and here we are.

How canon is the older Talse Uzer stuff anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really want to read the wikipedia to crystalise a bunch of my knowledge as well as find out all the bonus info from the blog posts I didn't know about. I read the first page or two of this thread because it was just at the Rachel betrayal so I was curious to see reactions and people were mentioning knowing Yuri and Evankhell's ranks.

I still don't understand the structure of the tower tbh, there's a huge golden cube but the tower is like three bars stuck to the side of it? The diagram did not help me.

Urek mentioned not giving a gently caress what Bam "thinks" he's supposed to do in the tower because he came from outside it so there def seems to be a lot more going on than just the tower. Also was Headon confirmed as the actual top admin of the tower ages ago in that Horyang flashback?

Anyways the think I liked most about Enryu

Jahad: "Ahhh luv 2 make the woman I love abandon the tower after I killed her bby and drove her bf to suicide cos they hate me so much. Now to make this floor a shrine to her cos I'm a Nice Guy TM"

fake edit: Also I am curious as to where Enryu even got a weapon to kill and Admin to begin with

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think the sheer continent-size of the thing means it doesn't really matter if it's a traditional cylinder on a monstrous scale or some kind of weird hosed-up shape that constantly changes as it rises. It probably is a physical tower though rather than some weird set of linked dimensions or metaphor, since the Helltrain travels through it and I think once Yuri mentioned ascending on foot to avoid attention. That diagram is totally unclear and the words were more important. All it's meant to teach you is that the world is a tower-like structure in that it has many floors stacked on top of each other, and it's divided into an inner core where regulars ascend and Real poo poo happens, an outer area where normal everyday dudes live, and a Middle area Regulars can settle if they earn the right and Rankers use for quick travel.

I don't think Headon is THE top admin but he's a very important one since he controls floor #1 and chooses Regulars.

Mazino is cooler than Enryu.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

EmmyOk posted:

I really want to read the wikipedia to crystalise a bunch of my knowledge as well as find out all the bonus info from the blog posts I didn't know about. I read the first page or two of this thread because it was just at the Rachel betrayal so I was curious to see reactions and people were mentioning knowing Yuri and Evankhell's ranks.

I still don't understand the structure of the tower tbh, there's a huge golden cube but the tower is like three bars stuck to the side of it? The diagram did not help me.

Urek mentioned not giving a gently caress what Bam "thinks" he's supposed to do in the tower because he came from outside it so there def seems to be a lot more going on than just the tower. Also was Headon confirmed as the actual top admin of the tower ages ago in that Horyang flashback?

Anyways the think I liked most about Enryu

Jahad: "Ahhh luv 2 make the woman I love abandon the tower after I killed her bby and drove her bf to suicide cos they hate me so much. Now to make this floor a shrine to her cos I'm a Nice Guy TM"

fake edit: Also I am curious as to where Enryu even got a weapon to kill and Admin to begin with

From the God on the Outside. As far as we know he is an emissary of its power. Which is probably why he couldn't do the whole climbing the tower thing because he's more a construct of power than a person.

This is alllll speculation. We really just don't know what their deal truly is. As far as we've been told, Enryu delivered his prophecy, left these 4 Thorns which are seemingly for Baam to collect, and hosed right off. He didn't climb the tower, he just appeared and ruined that floor but that alone was enough to rank him ahead of Jahad.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 23, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm like 40 chapters behind so I don't want to read the wiki just yet but Jahad isn't top rank? I remember acetone saying Urek was number one but shined Jahad wasn't ranked. What's the top ten look like?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Phantaminium is rank 1 (presumably because he's literally a God), Enryu is rank 2 (because he killed an Administrator), Zahard is rank 3 (because he got outranked twice :v:) and Mazino is rank 4.

Rank 5 is Arie Hon, one of the Great Family Leaders and White's dad; rank 6 is Koon Eduan, another Family leader and Koon Aguero Agnes' dad of course.

Rank 7 and 8 are both Zahard Princesses; 7 is Adori Zahard, and the wielder of the only S-Rank weapon from the 13 Months (Golden November). 8 is Eurasia Enne Zahard and she's currently sealed away somewhere with the Colorless December making collecting all 13 Months impossible.

Rank 9 is Baek Ryun, Urek's friend and co-founder of Wolhaiksong.

Rank 10 is Ha Yurin, last Family leader in the top 10 and she's Yuri's great-grandmother.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 23, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Urek is however the strongest person who anyone has seen in forever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's also possibly stronger than jahad and is certainly able to kill him due to being an irregular. It's mentioned on the wiki that Arie Hon who was the strongest family leader fought jahad 100 times and lost easily 100 times or something to that effect

Confusingly there is also a family leader called Ari han

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Urek is however the strongest person who anyone has seen in forever.

He is also the coolest and the best demonstration possible that Princesses are clearly attracted to Irregulars in general and not just Baam specifically. :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In addition to the above, that same Arie Hon owns floor 100 and tests people who come to the floor, giving them gifts if they beat the challenge he sets. Urek not only challenged him, but beat him in a fight. Arie, salty beyond belief, gave him no gift.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Gologle posted:

In addition to the above, that same Arie Hon owns floor 100 and tests people who come to the floor, giving them gifts if they beat the challenge he sets. Urek not only challenged him, but beat him in a fight. Arie, salty beyond belief, gave him no gift.

iirc, that's where they got the floor that Baek Ryun currently rules.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Urek gets a lot of points for

"Guess I only need 1% of my power :smugmrgw:

Enryu's slaughter of the Administrator and Jahad boyos was just so loving sick though. In general I find the top level fights the most boring in this series because they're just massive Shinsu blasts. I was really hoping for more HxH like battles after all the stuff on the floor of tests before Rachel betrayed.

Speaking of Rachel I detest her as a person and love her as a character. At first I was like "ugh she can do nothing herself and just lies and lucks her way into powerful people helping her" unlike Bam who earned his way up being nice. That's not really true though because Bam is the chosen one basically. I do agree with Headon that what separates the two isn't just that Yuri showed up with Black March but that Bam was charging ahead regardless. That said I think Rachel's "ability" so to speak is her cockroach like survival abilities and her insane driving force. Also weirdly expecting her to finally reveal some kind of good side to herself evven though it's felt like there's been countless scenes that were going to have that only for her to smirk and say "actually I am a titanic bitch"

Also I though the Black March was the strongest needle not the Golden November? I assume the thirteenth month is Lousy Smarch?

Gologle posted:

Lmbo

e: Also I'm not enjoying data world very much but I am imagining Urek's sworn enemy as an E-Class regular who has an easy time picking up women

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not all the 13 Months are Needles. Black March is a very powerful Needle, but it's only a B-Rank weapon (A-Rank when Ignited).

Silver January is owned by An Zahard. Rank and Type are currently unknown;
White February was given to someone but Enne killed her and took it before she went mad and got sealed up. Zahard's got this one back and it's not in the possession of any Princess right now;
Green April's a 7B-Rank Hook (implied A when Ignited) and Yuri's currently in possession of that one too;
Yellow May is owed by Koon Maschenny Zahard. Rank and Type are currently unknown;
Luminous June is one of a whole two Swords and is in the possession of Alphid Zahard. Rank is unknown;
Indigo July is in the possession of Garam right now. Rank and Type are currently unknown;
Blue August is also in the possession of Garam right now. Rank and Type are currently unknown;
Dark September is a complete enigma. Where it is, who has it, its rank and type are all unknown;
Red October is the other Sword. Arie Hagipherione Zahard has it, which is pretty fitting because the Arie family are good with swords. Rank is unknown;
Golden November is the only S-Rank weapon of the 13. Adori Zahard, strongest active Princess, has it but the weapon type is unspecified;
Colorless December is in Enne's possession so it cannot be acquired easily. Rank and Type are currently unknown, though you can sort of see it in a blurry small form in some panels;
Rainbow Undecimber isn't even a weapon. It's an Arms Inventory and has never been given to any Princess so Zahard still has this one too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah that explains it!

One final thing before I catch up myself and start earnestly reading blog posts, do we have any FUG rankings? Like their slayers perhaps or maybe the dude who trained Bam, or Hansung(?). I am thoroughly enjoying him constantly realising "wow people really hate real world me".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't think we know much about FUGs internal structure yet except that they're an semi-religious group (as opposed to Wingtree who are more of a group of pals according to Mazino?) devoted to destroying Jahad's system. Slayers seem to be both kind of at the top and kind of not. They're the ultimate expression of the will of the organisation and its members so they're super-important, but there also seem to be executive members who handle the rest of the organisation and do stuff like order around FUG-affiliated Rankers and Regulars and I don't think we've met any of them yet.

edit: Oh you meant the tower rankings of FUG members not actual FUG ranks, my bad.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 24, 2018

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

EmmyOk posted:

Ah that explains it!

One final thing before I catch up myself and start earnestly reading blog posts, do we have any FUG rankings? Like their slayers perhaps or maybe the dude who trained Bam, or Hansung(?). I am thoroughly enjoying him constantly realising "wow people really hate real world me".

Grace Mirchea Luslec is apparently rank 15. He also does not have much oversight/control over the rest of the organization.

As for Baam's teacher, I like how he presents a very a very laid back attitude but the moment Koon sees him he freaks out since he has a reputation of murdering every 10 families member he comes across.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of Rachel I detest her as a person and love her as a character. At first I was like "ugh she can do nothing herself and just lies and lucks her way into powerful people helping her" unlike Bam who earned his way up being nice. That's not really true though because Bam is the chosen one basically. I do agree with Headon that what separates the two isn't just that Yuri showed up with Black March but that Bam was charging ahead regardless. That said I think Rachel's "ability" so to speak is her cockroach like survival abilities and her insane driving force. Also weirdly expecting her to finally reveal some kind of good side to herself evven though it's felt like there's been countless scenes that were going to have that only for her to smirk and say "actually I am a titanic bitch"

In general I've always strongly disagreed with the people who say that Rachel is the lucky one who hasn't had to work like Baam has. If anything, Baam has been gifted with all these ridiculous abilities and powers that put him well above the ability of your average regular, and Rachel has to compensate for the fact she doesn't have any sort of exceptional power. Baam also has a party of a bunch of other ridiculously strongly people; Rachel is generally fighting an uphill battle against a stronger opponent (in the form of Baam and company), which makes her interesting as an antagonist.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If enryu ever does show up it's going to be a Real Big Deal. It also brings the question of why, if Enryu is so powerful, he didn't just smoke Jahad himself.

If there's one thing TOG is good at it's inciting fan theories.

There's something weird going on with Enryu; he isn't just A Dude like Mazino or Jahad (before making the deal with the Tower or whatever) was. Wasn't it stated that he's like an angel for some god outside of the Tower? I feel like I remember something along those lines.

Dragonatrix posted:

Phantaminium is rank 1 (presumably because he's literally a God), Enryu is rank 2 (because he killed an Administrator), Zahard is rank 3 (because he got outranked twice :v:) and Mazino is rank 4.

Rank 5 is Arie Hon, one of the Great Family Leaders and White's dad; rank 6 is Koon Eduan, another Family leader and Koon Aguero Agnes' dad of course.

Rank 7 and 8 are both Zahard Princesses; 7 is Adori Zahard, and the wielder of the only S-Rank weapon from the 13 Months (Golden November). 8 is Eurasia Enne Zahard and she's currently sealed away somewhere with the Colorless December making collecting all 13 Months impossible.

Rank 9 is Baek Ryun, Urek's friend and co-founder of Wolhaiksong.

Rank 10 is Ha Yurin, last Family leader in the top 10 and she's Yuri's great-grandmother.

It's interesting to me how a couple Jahad princesses are ranked higher than some family leaders.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 24, 2018

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-303/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=384

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 28, 2018

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good for you Rachel. He had it coming.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sorry Zahard, you can't pull off the moe fang look.

Never change Rachel, never change. :allears:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 28, 2018

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

In general I've always strongly disagreed with the people who say that Rachel is the lucky one who hasn't had to work like Baam has. If anything, Baam has been gifted with all these ridiculous abilities and powers that put him well above the ability of your average regular, and Rachel has to compensate for the fact she doesn't have any sort of exceptional power. Baam also has a party of a bunch of other ridiculously strongly people; Rachel is generally fighting an uphill battle against a stronger opponent (in the form of Baam and company), which makes her interesting as an antagonist.

I think it's preposterous to say Rachel hasn't been gifted bullshit and given the lucky hand no one else has gotten. She hasn't had to suffer (as far as we've been shown) for any of the immense amount of gifts that have been dropped in her lap. It's either happenstance (being a big breeder right now, surviving because Androssi was interested in her) or straight up handed immense gifts (super powerful FUG team for climbing by betraying Baam, a literal magic guardian Headon handed her so she'd survive the floor of tests, magic fish thing Gustang gave her on a whim).

Say what you will about Baam and the absurd poo poo that's been given to him, he had to struggle a lot to get where he is, and still goes well out of his way to protect and help people regardless. Dude suffered years of emotional and physical abuse at the hands of FUG after he finally found a group of friends. And yeah, he's got super powerful friends but he's also got a lot of not so powerful friends. And they're all his friends because he's a really nice dude who cares about them deeply and treats them better than anyone else. Half his friends wanted to hate and kill him when they first saw him in chapter 2, after all. Dude had to work to get them.

Even if you think Baam is the luckiest person in this story (which is a stretch given how much poo poo he's had to go through), Rachel is easily the second luckiest in terms of asspull and silver platters.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 28, 2018

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Now Rachel and Khun are both heartless bastards.

But I do hope we're not just trading Khun for mangator, they both need to go with Baam :(

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I gotta admit, sometimes Khun wins at life just a little too hard. Times like these he has to be taken down a peg or two. It sucks, but it has to happen occasionally.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Gologle posted:

I gotta admit, sometimes Khun wins at life just a little too hard. Times like these he has to be taken down a peg or two. It sucks, but it has to happen occasionally.

It better not mean the end of khun, though.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

loving hype levels are unreal right now

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I think it's preposterous to say Rachel hasn't been gifted bullshit and given the lucky hand no one else has gotten. She hasn't had to suffer (as far as we've been shown) for any of the immense amount of gifts that have been dropped in her lap. It's either happenstance (being a big breeder right now, surviving because Androssi was interested in her) or straight up handed immense gifts (super powerful FUG team for climbing by betraying Baam, a literal magic guardian Headon handed her so she'd survive the floor of tests, magic fish thing Gustang gave her on a whim).

Say what you will about Baam and the absurd poo poo that's been given to him, he had to struggle a lot to get where he is, and still goes well out of his way to protect and help people regardless. Dude suffered years of emotional and physical abuse at the hands of FUG after he finally found a group of friends. And yeah, he's got super powerful friends but he's also got a lot of not so powerful friends. And they're all his friends because he's a really nice dude who cares about them deeply and treats them better than anyone else. Half his friends wanted to hate and kill him when they first saw him in chapter 2, after all. Dude had to work to get them.

Even if you think Baam is the luckiest person in this story (which is a stretch given how much poo poo he's had to go through), Rachel is easily the second luckiest in terms of asspull and silver platters.

I mean, we found out from the moment she entered the tower she was pretty much called garbage but was allowed to progress because powerful people wanted to manipulate Baam.

Baam on the other hand met a Jahad Princess who became his friend and managed to ignite a 13 month series needle. I think the whole Baam experience is best summed up by that FUG guy who had his eyes sewn shut and his family/friends/neighborhood massacred because he dared to look at a Jahad Princess as he plummeted to his death while watching another Jahad Princess save Baam's life. "This is some bullshit". I don't remember the exact chapter so my wording may be off.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

I mean, we found out from the moment she entered the tower she was pretty much called garbage but was allowed to progress because powerful people wanted to manipulate Baam.

Baam on the other hand met a Jahad Princess who became his friend and managed to ignite a 13 month series needle. I think the whole Baam experience is best summed up by that FUG guy who had his eyes sewn shut and his family/friends/neighborhood massacred because he dared to look at a Jahad Princess as he plummeted to his death while watching another Jahad Princess save Baam's life. "This is some bullshit". I don't remember the exact chapter so my wording may be off.

Well that difference arose in the differences between test floors and the outer/middle floors where people hang out and social rank matters more, I guess. But yeah, Baam's super duper special but he's still a good dude who suffers and works hard for what he's gotten. Rachel's only suffering is out of her own sense of self importance and ego (as far as we know).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Still not over Rak riding on White's head

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Regarding Baam specifically, while he's a good dude he's also kinda...strange. Like, I have trouble really evaluating him in the way I would a normal person. Like, Ja Wangnan is a good guy in a way I can empathize with as a fellow human being. When he does selfless things, it matters more to me because I know Ja Wangnan actually has normal human concerns and fears. But I have trouble really understanding the way Baam behaves, and it's hard for me to perceive his kind/selfless actions as anything other than "the way Baam has to be," rather than some active choice on his part.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's not that Rachel hasn't also been lucky in various ways; just that Baam has been even more lucky. Like, for a normal, non-gifted person, going up the Tower is just flat-out impossible. There is no way Rachel could possible have climbed the Tower without the advantages she's received; if she had attempted the Floor 1 test Baam did, she would have just died, so she actually made the right decision in not being "brave" and attempting it. Baam attempted it and just got really, really lucky (and that luck might be at least partly due to whatever weird "fate" stuff he has going on). Generally speaking, there was no "climbing the Tower honestly" option that Rachel had; it was either take the deal she did or not climb at all.

And it's not that she's just been carried up the Tower with no input on her end, either; some of her companions have commented on how much they trust her, so she's clearly done something right in terms of earning their loyalty.

None of this has any bearing on whether she's a good person or not*; just that the specific "Baam worked so hard and Rachel was lucky" framing is really dumb. Baam has had both more good fortune and more challenges than Rachel, and in the end the two things probably balance out (though Rachel is in a much more precarious position than Baam in the long run, since she doesn't have her own individual power to fall back on).

*And it's honestly kind of questionable whether she's actually a worse person than many of the other folks climbing the Tower, like Khun or whatever. I seriously doubt Khun would give a poo poo about killing other random Regulars, so what Rachel has done isn't exactly anything beyond the pale by Tower standards. If anything, she had a lot of trouble with killing what's-his-name (dude from Ja Wangnan's team). She just seems worse to the readers because she betrayed Baam specifically, and Baam is the protagonist.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 29, 2018

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Regarding Baam specifically, while he's a good dude he's also kinda...strange. Like, I have trouble really evaluating him in the way I would a normal person. Like, Ja Wangnan is a good guy in a way I can empathize with as a fellow human being. When he does selfless things, it matters more to me because I know Ja Wangnan actually has normal human concerns and fears. But I have trouble really understanding the way Baam behaves, and it's hard for me to perceive his kind/selfless actions as anything other than "the way Baam has to be," rather than some active choice on his part.

It's not that Rachel hasn't also been lucky in various ways; just that Baam has been even more lucky. Like, for a normal, non-gifted person, going up the Tower is just flat-out impossible. There is no way Rachel could possible have climbed the Tower without the advantages she's received; if she had attempted the Floor 1 test Baam did, she would have just died, so she actually made the right decision in not being "brave" and attempting it. Baam attempted it and just got really, really lucky (and that luck might be at least partly due to whatever weird "fate" stuff he has going on). Generally speaking, there was no "climbing the Tower honestly" option that Rachel had; it was either take the deal she did or not climb at all.

And it's not that she's just been carried up the Tower with no input on her end, either; some of her companions have commented on how much they trust her, so she's clearly done something right in terms of earning their loyalty.

None of this has any bearing on whether she's a good person or not*; just that the specific "Baam worked so hard and Rachel was lucky" framing is really dumb. Baam has had both more good fortune and more challenges than Rachel, and in the end the two things probably balance out (though Rachel is in a much more precarious position than Baam in the long run, since she doesn't have her own individual power to fall back on).

*And it's honestly kind of questionable whether she's actually a worse person than many of the other folks climbing the Tower, like Khun or whatever. I seriously doubt Khun would give a poo poo about killing other random Regulars, so what Rachel has done isn't exactly anything beyond the pale by Tower standards. If anything, she had a lot of trouble with killing what's-his-name (dude from Ja Wangnan's team). She just seems worse to the readers because she betrayed Baam specifically, and Baam is the protagonist.

Baam has had more bad fortunes than Rachel, too. I really don't get why you think it's dumb for me to point out the horror Baam's had to endure to get where he is, whereas I don't even get the point you're trying to make with Rachel. Rachel is the lucky one. She would've died on the first floor without luck and riding the coattails of everyone else. Each time Baam gets a boon he gets the deck stacked against him which has been a theme since the very beginning (Yuri comes to help him, Headon makes the test unnecessarily harder to bring out his potential -- because Headon clearly knew what was up). He always gets tossed into this horrible situation where his special protagonist powers and never give up attitude have to pull him through. Baam isn't more lucky because he has to constantly fight super powerful people who want to kill or enslave him. He isn't lucky because he HAD to become a slave to monsters even if those monsters gave him power ups.

Rachel has only ever been lucky. And you can't loving excuse her because she had no chance of climbing the tower without luck and help. It was her choice! She wanted this. There's no woe is her about it, she brought the only slight bit of challenge upon herself. And I know you're not trying to defend her personality but I never cared to bring up her personality. I'm saying she's as stone cold lucky as can be, moreso than even Baam because all of Baam's good fortune is also met with, I don't know, having everyone you love and care about held under a Sword of Damocles if you don't go along with the ambitions of a bunch of horrible psychopaths. Is Baam really that much more lucky when he never even wanted all these things in the first place, but had all this responsibility foisted upon him?

There's some element of fate to it, and hell maybe Rachel is playing right into that fate for all we know, but whereas Rachel's biggest hurdle so far has been having to pretend she couldn't walk for awhile, Baam's has been having to fight for his life and his friends' lives dozens of times. If you're asking who got the easy street, luck out lottery it's Rachel so far. Heck, this latest arc is the first time she had a challenge put in front of her to try to get one of her gifts and she failed...to no consequence because Baam saved her.

She's the luckiest dang person in the tower we've seen so far. She hasn't been given as many gifts as Baam, but she's done less to get any gifts at all.

And let me repeat this just so you don't steer it this way again, I am not talking about her personality. I'm not talking about her altruism. I'm talking purely about how fate has conspired their situations. One has had to endure untold trauma for their gifts (thematically, his special unique power is that he has to get whacked with an ability to learn it, after all), the other was literally carried as dead weight for years by people better than her, or who worked harder than her, because she was in the right place at the right time to betray Baam.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 29, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Imagine if Rachel winds up marrying Baam, instead of the better girls like Endorsi and Yuri and flame girl whose name escapes me at the moment and Anak and I'm deliberately putting "and" between those names instead of "or" because they all should share him in one big harem.

EDIT: I mean, I would also be fine with Khun and Baam tbf Im not picky

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Gologle posted:

Imagine if Rachel winds up marrying Baam, instead of the better girls like Endorsi and Yuri and flame girl whose name escapes me at the moment and Anak and I'm deliberately putting "and" between those names instead of "or" because they all should share him in one big harem.

EDIT: I mean, I would also be fine with Khun and Baam tbf Im not picky

Baam & King Zahard, the answer was in their hearts all along.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rachel is super lucky. She has climbed so far in the tower to be considered one of the better regulars, to places unknown to most, with allies who have powers capable of fighting Rankers (not high ranked ones, but still). This gain has been coupled qith... some emotional turmoil of people constantly telling her she isnt good enough, that she is a manipulator, that she is justlucky, etc.

And while that sucks, she has basically had other people doing everything for her the whole way. Every single time something looks like it is gonna permanently hurt her, be it Khun or the dude from the dead floor orwhatever, Baam steps in8 and saves her. She never nearly died and had to fight for her life desperately just to survive. Baam and Co have many times. Often because of her! She is definitely lucky to have so many people who are so strong invested in hersuccess, even if it's a menacing 'we are using you' way. Because so far I can't think of any bad luck she has had besides 'wasn't born to be Baam'.

I don't think she is any worse a person than early Khun. But she also hasn't developed at all compared to him. He is, comparatively, a better person than when he first showed his hand.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The neat thing about Rachel vs Baam is that Baam is this super prophecy dude that factions have had plans for in place for like millennia, but Rachel just kinda... showed up. FUG made up some stuff regarding her because she can be useful but most of the Tower still has no regard for her existence at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

And while that sucks, she has basically had other people doing everything for her the whole way. Every single time something looks like it is gonna permanently hurt her, be it Khun or the dude from the dead floor orwhatever, Baam steps in8 and saves her. She never nearly died and had to fight for her life desperately just to survive. Baam and Co have many times. Often because of her! She is definitely lucky to have so many people who are so strong invested in hersuccess, even if it's a menacing 'we are using you' way. Because so far I can't think of any bad luck she has had besides 'wasn't born to be Baam'.

She is clearly good enough with people that she's managed to make her allies invested in her as a person, though, and that counts for something. Unlike Baam, she didn't have a "try hard and become strong on my own" option, because she isn't a ridiculously powerful child of prophecy like he is. Like I said in the other post, this is the only way she could successfully climb in the first place; there is no feasible "Rachel does things herself" option, because she obviously isn't very talented (in combat, anyways) and talent is paramount to success in the Tower. She is also in a very precarious position. While she's managed to avoid too many close life or death scenarios, she is heavily reliant on people helping her and doesn't have personal power to fall back on if she somehow fell out of their favor. I would much rather be in Baam's position, where he at least has the ability to fight against threats, than hers.

It's also not really clear that Rachel hasn't been trying hard; there's a reason she didn't fight when she was with Khun after pseudo-killing Baam (since she wanted to trick them), and for all we know she's been working hard on her combat skills after that (when she had her little fight with Khun she acted like she had put a lot of effort into it, at least).

Also, perhaps most importantly, we should keep in mind that we don't even know her full history or motives yet. She could have a very legitimate (or at least understandable) reason for wanting to climb the Tower and rejecting Baam's position as the child of prophecy, and it's hard to blame her for using the only option that can make that possible (teaming up with stronger people).

Anyways, I like Rachel as a character just because she makes for a very interesting and unusual antagonist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
she just needs to find the rice pot and undergo revolution

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Jose posted:

she just needs to find the rice pot and undergo revolution

This is actually true. Baam may be super-powerful, but Rachel is an irregular as well. Her potential is in the same category as the 10 Great Family heads, but she's done nothing to develop it.

The Rice Pot explicitly being the device created to bring that potential out in irregulars, and she never noticed it was there because she has no interest in developing her own abilities.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 31, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rachel is unique, even by Irregular standards, because she shouldn't be in the Tower at all. Every regular Irregular was chosen by the Tower to fulfill some kind of purpose and affect the Tower as a whole, and so it let them in. Every Regular was chosen by Headon as their equivalent of the 1F task, which is why almost every one else starts on 2F. Rachel was brought in by accident, when the Tower was trying to let Baam in, and Headon explicitly rubbed that fact in her face.

By all accounts, Rachel inherently has no real potential or anything in the same way an Irregular does and may very well never become as powerful as Baam is now, never mind equivalent to a Great Family head. That comparison is a bit disingenuous, since they were still let in by the Tower itself. Rachel is an irregular Irregular and there's no (known) precedent for her situation, so her potential is a complete unknown.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Dragonatrix posted:

Rachel is unique, even by Irregular standards, because she shouldn't be in the Tower at all. Every regular Irregular was chosen by the Tower to fulfill some kind of purpose and affect the Tower as a whole, and so it let them in. Every Regular was chosen by Headon as their equivalent of the 1F task, which is why almost every one else starts on 2F. Rachel was brought in by accident, when the Tower was trying to let Baam in, and Headon explicitly rubbed that fact in her face.

By all accounts, Rachel inherently has no real potential or anything in the same way an Irregular does and may very well never become as powerful as Baam is now, never mind equivalent to a Great Family head. That comparison is a bit disingenuous, since they were still let in by the Tower itself. Rachel is an irregular Irregular and there's no (known) precedent for her situation, so her potential is a complete unknown.

This is innaccurate. Think about it: the 10 family heads came in as a unit, along with Arlene and V. Furthermore, being climbed by "irregulars" is the normal function of the Tower. They're only abberations from the perspective of Jahad's regime.

SIU has explicitly stated that Rachel is a proper irregular. People cite the idea that the Tower let her in "by accident," which is a fan theory, one of many passed around as fact. The Tower opens in response to the will to open it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
Isn't the whole thing of her not being a proper irregular coming from headon who seemed to be just trying/succeeding in manipulating rachel to start the whole thing, that's how I always read/remembered that flashback chapter/s