Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

well then I'm cross-disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Learning Fallout 76 is an online survival game is probably going to be the biggest blue balls of this year. :sigh:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Learning Fallout 76 is an online survival game is probably going to be the biggest blue balls of this year. :sigh:

Oh honey e3 still hasn't happened

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

anthem is going to be epic........

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're about as relevant and thematically cohesive as the Xenosaga trilogy itself so you knew what you were getting into.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really only want to care about Red Dead Redemption 2 this year anyways.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
All of Sony's bangers, minus Spider-man, are either already out or have a nebulous release date; aside from TloU2, I wonder what they could show of substance. Probably Tsushima and...?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's Death Stranding I guess

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Samuringa posted:

All of Sony's bangers, minus Spider-man, are either already out or have a nebulous release date; aside from TloU2, I wonder what they could show of substance. Probably Tsushima and...?

The one time I forget to mention Playstation All-Stars 2 will be the moment they finally announce it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly Sony saw that people were underwhelmed by last year because it didn't have many new games, so they've been sitting on a bunch of announcements to save for E3. It is also rumored that they are showing the new From game, but who knows if any of that is true

Still, Spiderman, Death Stranding, LoU2 and Sucker Punch Samurai game isn't a weak place to start from, especially if they have release dates for the latter three

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Let's just say Sony has a real KNACK 3 for press conferences, if you catch my drift.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Tsushima is what I’m looking forward to myself. I liked TLoU but it’s going to take a lot to get me to care about a sequel I think.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They might announce Horizon 2 but if they did it probably wouldn't be out for a while.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

Let's just say Sony has a real KNACK 3 for press conferences, if you catch my drift.

gently caress I'm gonna miss Kaz :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

rip Andrew House too

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

There's Death Stranding I guess

That falls under the "nebulous release date". They will show Death Stranding and Kingdom Hearts and Days Gone and have a teaser for FF7R and Shenmue as a "Hey, this still exists" and also reveal the title of whatever FROM is working on with a minimalistic trailer, but what about actual releases? I don't mind if they're late2018/early2019, just wished for something solid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The one time I forget to mention Playstation All-Stars 2 will be the moment they finally announce it.

Playstation All Stars 2: Actual Battle Royale This Time

Accordion Man posted:

They might announce Horizon 2 but if they did it probably wouldn't be out for a while.

I still think they're going to spend a few seconds on a zero-gameplay acknowledgement that this exists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guerrilla just put out a bunch of new job postings for "an open world RPG experience" that is almost certainly Horizon 2 so it's pretty obvious they are working on it already, which gives it a decent chance at appearing on the PS4 before the end of its life cycle.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Well, this is surely an original way of leaking a release

Guess Bayek's going to do some traveling

exquisite tea posted:

Guerrilla just put out a bunch of new job postings for "an open world RPG experience" that is almost certainly Horizon 2 so it's pretty obvious they are working on it already, which gives it a decent chance at appearing on the PS4 before the end of its life cycle.

It would be sweet for Sony to end its cycle with the acknowledgment of a new franchise's success and it fits with the expected end date of 2020/21.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

Well, this is surely an original way of leaking a release

Guess Bayek's going to do some traveling

It would be sweet for Sony to end its cycle with the acknowledgment of a new franchise's success and it fits with the expected end date of 2020/21.

Wasn't expecting this kind of Mario Odyssey DLC.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Oh boy, another rear end Creed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought people liked Origins

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I thought people liked Origins

They did but I also think they don't trust Ubi to not run it into the ground again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Basically, if it's next year fine, if it's this, ugh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are they going back to yearly releases

i don't think they should go back to yearly releases

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's Watchdogs turn this year

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

who saved ubisoft anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They said every two years now but it's Ubisoft

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

both

if Link can have a smartphone, so can Bayek

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

If they keep Marcus and pals as the main cast then sign me up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What exactly happened to Capcom? I've heard that SF30 is exactly as disappointing as Max Dood suggested it would be, and it feels like they've been on a spiral for some time now. It also feels like a compilation of some of the best games your company ever made should be a slam dunk success.

I remember when this company was synonymous with quality in the 90's. Is there one thing to be pointed to as a reason?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

oddium posted:

who saved ubisoft anyway

Tencent.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What exactly happened to Capcom? I've heard that SF30 is exactly as disappointing as Max Dood suggested it would be, and it feels like they've been on a spiral for some time now. It also feels like a compilation of some of the best games your company ever made should be a slam dunk success.

I remember when this company was synonymous with quality in the 90's. Is there one thing to be pointed to as a reason?

This is mostly speculation, but I feel like a lot of the talent that Capcom had in the 90's left and went to other companies/new companies or just left the games industry entirely. Also, not entirely related, but I believe a lot of Japanese game industry talent left the industry when mobile/pachinko/non-traditional console gaming became the only way to get work. Obviously that change to mobile has scaled back in recent years, but the damage was still done.

I also feel like Capcom's cheapness has caught up with them in a way it never previously has. Capcom was cheap in the 90s too, with constant re-release of all of their fighting games. But the games being re-released were so popular and of such a high quality that people were probably more willing to put up with it. Nowadays, we get games like USFII and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection which reek of a company that doesn't care about its legacy outside of it's ability to turn a profit. And in the modern age I have much better and cheaper options for playing all of these games, something I didn't have when the SNES was new. It doesn't help that Capcom occasionally puts out high quality, big budget releases like Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil VII that show the company is capable of producing great games. This just makes the stinkers like MVCI and Puzzle Fighter even worse, as fans like me constantly wonder what those games would've been like if given the care and attention of their bigger titles.

Lastly, Capcom Japan and Capcom US still seem to be engaged in the same bitter, petty, miscommunicative bullshit that led to Super SF II being slower out of spite for the US division. So I'm sure the amount of money they've uselessly hemorrhaged on that over the years could've saved some jobs on their development teams. Overall, it seems like Capcom was a company that had amazing talent and god awful management, and eventually the management caused everyone of value to leave the company/industry entirely.

lordfrikk posted:

I only heard good things about the collection so far. Why is it bad exactly?

Haven't played but apparently the netcode is pretty busted on all games, not to mention the general online infrastructure/UI looks like something from the first year of Xbox Live (no connection bars for opponents, game you play is randomized until you find a match, etc.). Secondly, a bunch of the ports are busted to the point where basic combos don't work like they should in some games. So the online is terrible, and as a preservation piece it's inferior to ports that are over a decade old. So really, the collection is ultimately worthless outside of having a convenient way to play these games locally on newer systems. If that's worth $40 to you, then go for it, but for a lot of people the aspects of the collection that make it worth rebuying these games are non-existent/non-functioning.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 31, 2018

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Uy4NhkArA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09DILIWgDc

Also, while not shown, the emulation is apparently off. It's only off to a degree that I think hardcore people would notice but it's still not the arcade perfect promised.

Also because it's the arcade version it is lacking in a ton of stuff from the later releases of the games and there isn't even a practice mode for most of the games, just the ones with online support and even then the implementation is kinda janky.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the games are poorly represented and the netcode is bad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh my god it 50/50's what game you're going to play that's amazing.

Ragequitting because you didn't even get the right game is some next level poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Oh my god it 50/50's what game you're going to play that's amazing.

Ragequitting because you didn't even get the right game is some next level poo poo.

Like I understand that you're gonna fragment the game if you have four separate online communities running in this single release but there really Really REALLY must have been a better way to get around that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Supposedly Sony saw that people were underwhelmed by last year because it didn't have many new games, so they've been sitting on a bunch of announcements to save for E3. It is also rumored that they are showing the new From game, but who knows if any of that is true

Still, Spiderman, Death Stranding, LoU2 and Sucker Punch Samurai game isn't a weak place to start from, especially if they have release dates for the latter three

They wont have dates they'll have early/late 2019

Gow didnt have a date til like february

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

capcom's always been a company with talented devs and barely functional management and over the last few decades a lot of that talent splintered off into new companies like platinum and inti creates. i wouldn't be surprised if the street fighter 30th team was understaffed, underqualified for what they were doing, rushed by management who didn't really care about the quality of the final release or a mix of all three

honestly the funniest thing is when keiji inafune tried to present himself as an underdog ex-capcom game developer akin to hideki kamiya or the people at inti creates when he was part of capcom's rear end-backwards dysfunctional upper management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

capcom's always been a company with talented devs and barely functional management and over the last few decades a lot of that talent splintered off into new companies like platinum and inti creates. i wouldn't be surprised if the street fighter 30th team was understaffed, underqualified for what they were doing, rushed by management who didn't really care about the quality of the final release or a mix of all three

honestly the funniest thing is when keiji inafune tried to present himself as an underdog ex-capcom game developer akin to hideki kamiya or the people at inti creates when he was part of capcom's rear end-backwards dysfunctional upper management lol

I think the sf collection was outsourced tho.

• Locked thread