Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

with lesbian,
bisexual too,
gay and trans,
and the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is quiltbag ok? because quiltbag owns

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think "queer" works better and doesn't inadvertently exclude people or group them into "and the rest"

"Queer & trans" is what I've picked up from the people I hang around with

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Jonny 290 posted:

i use the term

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

keyboard vomit posted:

"Queer & trans" is what I've picked up from the people I hang around with

yeah i think that's good if you wanna talk about both, and each individually if you wanna talk about... each individually, since they're very distinct things that society really needs to learn to start dividing already

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Hah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lain Iwakura posted:

i use LGBTQ+ but will extend outward too when trying to make a point

yeah i do this or say queer depending on context

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
also on the rare chance that any of you'll travel to muskoka ontario in the near future shoot me a pm and i'll buy you a beer or sonething

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
outstanding offer to any yosposters (especially ones in this thread) that pass through denver, i've got a couch and beers and burgs and :weed: for ye.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
queer is good, but i also like seeing how long people can get the lgbtqai... abbreviation

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
"quiltbag" is my favorite one just because it's fun to say even though i only know like 2 people that use it

"queer" usually works too but of course a lot of people are a bit averse to it for obvious reasons (and meanwhile i'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that it even accurately describes me at all, but that's probably not specific to that one word)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i didn't know quiltbag was a thing, and now that i do i think im going to use it exclusively

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
repurpose "plunkbat" somehow.

i'll see myself out

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lgbtqregex was my favorite that I've seen

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i think "queer" works better and doesn't inadvertently exclude people or group them into "and the rest"
That's what my queer pals prefer so that's what I use.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i like queer but sometimes older people react badly to it so i change for the audience.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1001523674594381825

i'm not crying...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

YOU'RE CRYING

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

there's another cute double proposal where they are playing Pictionary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0ARoVF6Qg

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Shifty Pony posted:

there's another cute double proposal where they are playing Pictionary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0ARoVF6Qg

both of these are amazing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Zamujasa posted:

i didn't know quiltbag was a thing, and now that i do i think im going to use it exclusively

this, cause cis dudes can't just go around saying "queer"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

this, cause cis dudes can't just go around saying "queer"

i mean i think it's fine if they say things like "queer community," since it's... what it is, it's become more than a reclaimed term it's now the primary "thing it's called" if that makes sense.

probably don't want to say it by itself though, like "they're a queer" or "are you queer"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's become more than a reclaimed term it's now the primary "thing it's called" if that makes sense.

perfect sense, yup

i'm just timid and i don't like to smooth over what's easier to just not wrinkle in the first place. It feels safer to call folks what they call themselves.

like "james"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it means a lot of things to a lot of people right? it could be an encapsulating term for all lgtb+ people. or specifically referring to sexuality, or gender, or both. I haven’t heard it used in a pejorative sense for a long time, but of course tone and context are important otherwise

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
if you have love in your heart and an open mind, i wouldn't get too hung up on the nomenclature

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i rarely refer to myself as "trans" and just call myself a "queer woman". it's just a preference

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm starting to really enjoy a good laser zap

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
sophia park's new game/VN/thing subserial network is out now (currently a humble monthly exclusive but available everywhere in september i think?). it's a very queer and yospos-y thing that i was lucky to get to playtest last month

also it has an extremely good soundtrack made by a good friend of mine (who is also ~*~*~*a goon*~*~*~). check it out

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 1, 2018

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

iospace posted:

Lgbtqregex was my favorite that I've seen

I don't think I stole that from anywhere, but if I did they should get credit.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Jonny 290 posted:

it's my personal favorite

edit: I have also used "rainbow people" when I wanted something more whimsical

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jonny 290 posted:

I've used it, but I will say I'd probably not like the sound of it coming out of a non-queer's mouth. Would feel kind of mocky.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

jit bull transpile posted:

I've used it, but I will say I'd probably not like the sound of it coming out of a non-queer's mouth. Would feel kind of mocky.

as a "non-queer" (yikes) i wish i could make you laugh IRL and put you at ease. i wish i could contradict your expectation of hostility from all non-queer people.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

as a "non-queer" (yikes) i wish i could make you laugh IRL and put you at ease. i wish i could contradict your expectation of hostility from all non-queer people.

Not hostility. Just casual ignorance and indifference, not thinking about the ways your words can hurt other people.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

this is the reason I don’t use it although I love it TBH

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not hostility. Just casual ignorance and indifference, not thinking about the ways your words can hurt other people.

yeah most people really do mean well, they just often have no experience dealing with this sorta thing and don't really know what to do.

they also kinda tend to overcompensate sometimes to "prove" they're ok with you, that's fun. like when my (60-something year old) dad found out about my wife being trans he pointed out that he worked with someone who recently transitioned and was cool with it, which was fine, but i guess to prove he was cool with it he kept going and talked about how he thought she looked great and that she was "a very attractive woman" which was just super awkward, thanks dad

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i use "quiltbag" but only because i find it funny. however, like said before, if a non-queer came up to me and said that i'd probably be annoyed

that said, i am getting a queer tattoo on the weekend

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lain Iwakura posted:

i use "quiltbag" but only because i find it funny. however, like said before, if a non-queer came up to me and said that i'd probably be annoyed

that said, i am getting a queer tattoo on the weekend

what of

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Will share when I get it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

She's putting a tinky winkie tattoo onto the famous black singer. She couldn't have been more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
im bi and one or two other things as well