Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redeyes posted:

Key word, 'small operation'. Im curious though, what kind of server couldn't run a few extra software packages? I honestly can't even think of a scenario other than not having enough storage space or an older OS.

In this case I assumed it was set up for a single software package based on the chain of "Only runs tax software", and that the additional stuff would be rather demanding on CPU or RAM. Disk space isn't going to be the issue, but if you can run 5 times as much stuff as you purchase it for, you probably went a bit nuts on something.

They wanted a new server because they have been eyeing some ERP or CRM software and assumed a server was a server just get us a new one and it'll do everything! Well you intended for this to be DC with DHCP and DNS and also run that tax software and added a bit of extra RAM and got to 4-8GB of RAM (RAM prices are crazy right now if you haven't checked in the last year or two, RAM is more per gig than it was in 2010)

I find a lot of companies running old hardware have a list of software they can't run because of the old server. They never bring this list up even when asked about what software will run on it. This is brought up as soon as the hardware has been running smooth for a few months well outside any reasonable time frame to get something new.

Buying 16-32GB of RAM if you think you can probably get away with 4 is a massive waste, could you upgrade the RAM? Sure, but they aren't going to be happy about that added cost after the fact. They are going to say "The Dell was cheaper! Should have just gone with them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: am idiot. ignore this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

In this case I assumed it was set up for a single software package based on the chain of "Only runs tax software", and that the additional stuff would be rather demanding on CPU or RAM. Disk space isn't going to be the issue, but if you can run 5 times as much stuff as you purchase it for, you probably went a bit nuts on something.

They wanted a new server because they have been eyeing some ERP or CRM software and assumed a server was a server just get us a new one and it'll do everything! Well you intended for this to be DC with DHCP and DNS and also run that tax software and added a bit of extra RAM and got to 4-8GB of RAM (RAM prices are crazy right now if you haven't checked in the last year or two, RAM is more per gig than it was in 2010)

I find a lot of companies running old hardware have a list of software they can't run because of the old server. They never bring this list up even when asked about what software will run on it. This is brought up as soon as the hardware has been running smooth for a few months well outside any reasonable time frame to get something new.

Buying 16-32GB of RAM if you think you can probably get away with 4 is a massive waste, could you upgrade the RAM? Sure, but they aren't going to be happy about that added cost after the fact. They are going to say "The Dell was cheaper! Should have just gone with them!"

None of this scares me in the least. But of course I price my stuff with all this in mind. You sure you actually meant small shops? Maybe your definition and mine are different.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redeyes posted:

None of this scares me in the least. But of course I price my stuff with all this in mind. You sure you actually meant small shops? Maybe your definition and mine are different.

I assumed working for the small shop, so pricing isn't the issue, it's getting the person with money to sign off.

Also covering your rear end, as no one else there knows anything about computers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I've been at this job for a month and it's pretty rad, except this one printer. I dunno what to do about it. Some days, works great no problem. Other days there seems to be a communication issue where if you print to it, the printer won't print and the stupid printer status window thing says "spooling", and attempts to stop and delete the job will be met with silence. So you restart the computer and magically it starts working again until a day or two later when the whole dance starts again. It's hooked directly to the computer so I'm not even sure why this POS is acting up, at this point I'm thinking the owner of the computer is just loving with me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just accidentally destroy the printer and buy a new one. 80% chance of fixing the issue entirely if it uses different drivers, and if the problem persists then at least you've ruled out the printer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Defenestrategy posted:

So I've been at this job for a month and it's pretty rad, except this one printer. I dunno what to do about it. Some days, works great no problem. Other days there seems to be a communication issue where if you print to it, the printer won't print and the stupid printer status window thing says "spooling", and attempts to stop and delete the job will be met with silence. So you restart the computer and magically it starts working again until a day or two later when the whole dance starts again. It's hooked directly to the computer so I'm not even sure why this POS is acting up, at this point I'm thinking the owner of the computer is just loving with me.

Printers suck.

You can stop and restart the printer spooling service and this will usually fix the active problem without requiring a restart, although this won't solve it forever.

Is the printer shared? Sometimes this breaks things too for no discernible reason. Sometimes installing a different version of the driver works, too. Sometimes it's just as simple just removing and re-adding the printer will make it play nice Sometimes the best solution is "new printer."

I don't like printers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
always get a service contract if you must have printers, or be the vanguard of THE FUTURE and push for paperless office.

gently caress printers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Printers always suck, if it's spooling and stuck there it could be a driver issue, or what they are trying to print find. I find some PDF readers (especially edge) do not play nice with printers. It also might not be the last thing they printed so asking "what did you just print" isn't going to get you an answer because they tried to print some coupon or recipe 2 hours ago it didn't print and it wasn't work related to they ignored it. It's still stuck spooling, they go to print something work related and "stupid printer!"

Update the driver and firmware for the printer, make a note if there are multiple versions of the drive (postscript vs PCL) try one if that's bad try the other.

You don't need to restart the computer, you just need to restart the spooler process to clear the job when it does that. Open task manager as an admin > Services > Spooler (Description is Print Spooler) press restart you may need to tell it to delete the job again and restart spooler 1 more time. I've never seen a printer need more than 2 spooler restarts, and I've seen printers hold stuff with "deleting" for multiple years so someone just made a new print queue (and doing the spooler restart dance fixed the issue with the first queue).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How is it that printer drivers can still manage to suck so hard?

I don't mean the shithole software-driven inkjets every idiot buys, it's obvious why those get absolutely zero effort, but even the big professional-class printers where you should just be able to fling Postscript at their IP address and have paper come out somehow still manage to have all kinds of idiotic problems. It's not like anything meaningful has changed in the printing world in years, how is this not a completely solved problem?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's gotten a lot better with Class 4 drivers, but the problem is not completely solved. My recommendation would be to use a Class 4 driver where possible, otherwise stick to what shows up when you choose a driver from Windows Update as those are validated a bit better. If there's a model number similar enough to your model, I would use that over using the driver from the vendor's site.

[Edit: But yeah, I agree that it's bullshit. It is so much better than it was 10 years ago, but still not perfect. Throw in stuff like Remote Desktop Services, printing over the WAN, etc., and it can get real complex real quick.]

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

wolrah posted:

How is it that printer drivers can still manage to suck so hard?

I don't mean the shithole software-driven inkjets every idiot buys, it's obvious why those get absolutely zero effort, but even the big professional-class printers where you should just be able to fling Postscript at their IP address and have paper come out somehow still manage to have all kinds of idiotic problems. It's not like anything meaningful has changed in the printing world in years, how is this not a completely solved problem?

I don’t know but in general any hardware interfacing with users and outputting digital data is hard. I’ve had the most insane issues with drivers, i/o errors the past 5 years professionally even while actively avoiding hardware. all sorts of kit from bar code scanner drivers to analog or sip phones, conference a/v, fax machines that send/receive copies digitally, smart card readers, scanners, copiers, isdn-sip session managers, fingerprint readers, touch screens, pen input devices, midi controllers, audio mixers, buttons on an atmel iot dev kit, (...)

keyboard and mouse are the only more or less universally solved issues

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

So I've been at this job for a month and it's pretty rad, except this one printer.

new thread title probably

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apropos

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

to be honest i reread that post i wrote and i think i’ve made one just like it not too long ago or i’m having unreal deja vu. it’s my one unresolved it job trauma

dodge hardware, dodge proprietary drivers by small companies who appear to have no more than one dev and 0-1 test devices, double barrel roll for companies that are still willing to support winXP, dodge com ports, serial ports, analog ports, rj45 interfaces 5 pole DIN plugs, dodge all that is my advice i think

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Open a command prompt and run the following command:

Net stop spooler && Net start spooler

If you want to get automated about it, create a scheduled task that runs this batch job in the middle of the night every night. Scheduled reboots make Windows Work Better (tm) right?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Deposit the printer in the nearest dumpster. Hand user a sketch pad and colored pencils. Tell them they are now the printer.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
This

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

Deposit the printer in the nearest dumpster. Hand user a sketch pad and colored pencils. Tell them they are now the printer.

this depends on tact and personal charm but if they don't bite engage the emergency option and tell them they'll be chief reproduction officer

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice guys. I'mma try all of them out and if nothing works I feel that this old rear end HP might have some sort of unrelated hardware issue where it just won't power on anymore and gosh we may just need a new one .

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Old Binsby posted:

chief reproduction officer

Sir this is the HR department.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Digital_Jesus posted:

Printa Nocta

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

hey the phone disconnected

weird

maybe call IT about this later

hm no my phone broke i can’t call. ah well. nothing we can do! let’s hr something

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I've spent the last 5 years systematically removing the lovely little Dell printers that used to be scattered all over. I've done a pretty good job of it too, we're pretty much down to just the C-level execs having personal printers. This will be my legacy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

keyboard and mouse are the only more or less universally solved issues

No they aren't, have you ever tried explaining to a teenager (family member) that their no name brand "gaming macro keyboard" they imported from China for $12 is the thing causing all their blue screens? There's some really terrible vendor provided mouse and keyboard drivers.

I barely trust razor since their products are overpriced and feel cheap but at least their drivers aren't complete steaming piles of poo poo, I'd much rather have a Logitech equivalent though. The only issue I've ever had with a Logitech driver was during Windows 10 beta, the keyboard has an analog scroll wheel for the volume. It worked fine in 7 but in 10 Beta it causes the computer to lag and not accept any input, most often resulting in an error that the video driver had recovered after 2-3 minutes.

The volume wheel works in 10 now perfectly though.

That said you really never need to install a 3rd party mouse/keyboard driver. But oh man are they worse than printer drivers and take the entire computer down with them if they aren't rock solid.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp I'm admitting defeat on this printer bullshit. I reinstalled the drivers. Created a script that restarts the spooler. Updated with drivers from both windows and hp. Used HPs dumb scan doctor bs. Nothin.

What's the best way to gracefully kick the can? Hire a tech to come out? Ask for a new printer? Tell the lady to get hosed?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mash some teeth of the gears with a screwdriver

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Defenestrategy posted:

Welp I'm admitting defeat on this printer bullshit. I reinstalled the drivers. Created a script that restarts the spooler. Updated with drivers from both windows and hp. Used HPs dumb scan doctor bs. Nothin.

What's the best way to gracefully kick the can? Hire a tech to come out? Ask for a new printer? Tell the lady to get hosed?

Did you update the firmware of the printer and the JetDirect card?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I fix a ton of random issues with updating a printers firmware, even if the notes don't mention you issue, if there are 5 years worth of revisions updating can still fix the issue because that bug isn't present in newer stuff and they aren't going to edit old patch notes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Just did and currently the printer works, but I'll know more in morning when I come in and magically the printer stops working again. :(

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

Just did and currently the printer works, but I'll know more in morning when I come in and magically the printer stops working again. :(

humming the portal song irl

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Old Binsby posted:

humming the portal song irl

Well thanks goons. The printer has gone 24ish hours without making GBS threads itself, so a firmware update was the solution. 2010's :10bux: paid off again.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Clearly not because you didn't learn your lesson, that being sabotage the thing and make it someone else's problem also gently caress printers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sheep posted:

Clearly not because you didn't learn your lesson, that being sabotage the thing and make it someone else's problem also gently caress printers.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Our old as poo poo label maker finally poo poo the bed. What's a 'good' label maker in the $100 or so range? Don't really need any fancy features, just needs to print labels that stick on PCs and network hardware. It needs to be portable, I don't ever want to connect it to a PC.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 7, 2018

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

edit: quoted myself instead of editing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a Brother PT-H300 that I have had zero problems with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IELD1O4/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh a thing i didnt even know i needed and now covet.

*buys*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We have one of these. I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NVTE5E