Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

Its dead simple. Gloss coat. Apply micro set. Apply decal. Apply more micro set with brush. Hair dry. Apply micro sol and use brush to flatten/stretch out the decal (just brush center out usually). Hair dry. Repeat until the decal looks how you want.

Its amazing poo poo, squad numbers on a curved primaris knee become trivial to do with these magic chemicals.

Micro Sol does most of the work. I don't even apply Micro Set unless the surface is uneven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

mango sentinel posted:

More progress for the night!

Also what's a good micro set/sol tutorial. I've got decals going on this guy's banner.

I like this guy's tutorials usually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axgf8NNRh7M&t=34s

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Do you limeys out there really call them "deh-KULLs?"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

grassy gnoll posted:

Do you limeys out there really call them "deh-KULLs?"

I believe most of the world calls them that. It's mainly only the US that calls them dee-cals.

Kool-Aid Wino
Apr 27, 2007
I saw you on TV doing a bad imitation of a second-rate songwriter from the 80's named Morrissey. I never liked Morrissey. And I don't like you.
What you be the best way to paint things like lenses for things like headlights, spotlights, etc? Specifically, I'm referring to the spotlights that are common on 40k Imperial Guard vehicles. My initial instinct was to paint the lenses either white or a light silver and cover with a yellow glaze. Would is work, or does anyone have an alternative?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kool-Aid Wino posted:

What you be the best way to paint things like lenses for things like headlights, spotlights, etc? Specifically, I'm referring to the spotlights that are common on 40k Imperial Guard vehicles. My initial instinct was to paint the lenses either white or a light silver and cover with a yellow glaze. Would is work, or does anyone have an alternative?

That's the easy way, yeah. White will make them stand out more, silver will make them more reflective, take your pick.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

on the left side of the search page you can find a tick box to show sold listings in the last 90 days

typing tech priest and ticking sold listings then sorting by price high to low shows me someone bought a pro painted titty tech priest for 150 bucks

the actual model youre talking about has sold for between $9-110 depending on certain factors, so ymmv

Wow, thanks. I somehow have missed that checkbox for years. At some point I'll paint one and toss it up. I figure if I can get $70+shipping for it, then it covers an entire Start Collecting Skitarii box, so I get the Dunecrawler and Skitarii themselves for effectively free.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone got a tutorial on painting flastones/cobblestones on a flat base? All I can find is how to paint already cast stones.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Anyone got a tutorial on painting flastones/cobblestones on a flat base? All I can find is how to paint already cast stones.

Use this or similar to make cobblestones, then paint according to one of those tutorials. Nothing will ever look right if its totally flat.
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-rolling-pins/135-Rolling-Pin-Hobby-Roller-Cobblestone.html

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Duct Tape posted:

Wow, thanks. I somehow have missed that checkbox for years. At some point I'll paint one and toss it up. I figure if I can get $70+shipping for it, then it covers an entire Start Collecting Skitarii box, so I get the Dunecrawler and Skitarii themselves for effectively free.

godspeed my friend

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Painted some Descent figures (very poorly) and I had a blast doing it. Are there any other figure heavy games that aren't... war games? I've never really played a war game and I'm guessing on the premise I wouldn't love it. Bonus points if you have a recommendation that is co-op. If I could play warhammer 40k co-op with my wife that would be amazing because the figures do look awesome...

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Painted some Descent figures (very poorly) and I had a blast doing it. Are there any other figure heavy games that aren't... war games? I've never really played a war game and I'm guessing on the premise I wouldn't love it. Bonus points if you have a recommendation that is co-op. If I could play warhammer 40k co-op with my wife that would be amazing because the figures do look awesome...

If you like Warhammer but want coop then the Warhammer Quest games are a good option. Silver Tower is entirely cooperative and Shadows Over Hammerhal is a 1vMany style where a GM player controls the enemies and advances the plot. Both come with tons of good miniatures.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

There are lots of skirmish games where teams are only 5-10 models per team like Malifaux, Infinity, and Batman. There's also a billion board games that have plastic minis that may fit your bill, basically read up on anything from Cool Mini or Not that can be co-op.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of finding minis, is there any one website out there that tracks any and all minis from all games out there? Basically someplace that's a one stop shop for news on new releases from the latest GW stuff to the tiniest boutique gaming outfit, and archives of past releases?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

This model was a pain.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of finding minis, is there any one website out there that tracks any and all minis from all games out there? Basically someplace that's a one stop shop for news on new releases from the latest GW stuff to the tiniest boutique gaming outfit, and archives of past releases?

its slow, and russian, but this is the best ive found so far

just be careful to not enter personal info i suppose

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I painted these little gnome sailor gamepieces for a game called Red November where you play as gnomes flailing about on a sub trying to put out fires, plug leaks, repair systems, and avoid getting eaten by the Kraken.

But after I finished painting them, I can't find the game box in my stuff and the game itself is apparently out of print so LOL owned, I guess.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I painted a big yellow flying brick.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
nice primaris land speeder

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really like how your stuff looks like it’s been on the Great Crusade. Like it’s been fro Terra to the rear end-end of the galaxy and back again twice and now that loving rear end in a top hat Horus is stirring-up poo poo?!?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Finished my Garrek's Reavers!

Mikey Purp posted:

Oath Complete

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Noob here. Is it generally better to do Base/Shade/Layer or Base/Layer and then Shade? I've seen different approaches. I'm painting Orruk Ironsunz Brutes (Yellow scheme) because why not start miniature painting with the apparently difficult colors.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd generally do shade->layer because you want to clean up the shade a bit after applying it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire is much more board-game like. The core set gives you everything for two people to deck build, and you can expand with other warbands that interested you.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Is there a trick to using gloss primer? I tried using it for the Shadespire models I was painting, to get a shiny metallic finish, and then use inks to colour.

But now it's made brushing over it take up so much more time and effort. And when I tried washing the inked areas to add shade, the ink layers started lifting off.

Is there any way to fix this? Matte varnish, wash to shade, gloss varnish and pin wash?

This meant I've only really had time to block out the colours so I'm gutted I've messed up the first oath of the season. I really want to find a way to fix these without resorting to stripping and starting again.

hexa fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 1, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Gloss spray -> matte varnish-> acrylic paint
The surface of gloss paint is too smooth. Acrylic paint is basically colored glue. It needs something it can stick to.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Do I need to do the gloss before the matte? Can I not just use matte, wash it, and gloss after?

At the moment I just want to save the models, but won't the matte kill the effect from the gloss primer? What are people's workflows when using gloss primer?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booyah- posted:

Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire is much more board-game like. The core set gives you everything for two people to deck build, and you can expand with other warbands that interested you.

its also not coop

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I painted these in the last few days. They're the first 28mm vehicles I've ever done so be gentle

I have yet to varnish them because I had a question:

Should I give them a satin varnish or matte varnish? If I layer a satin varnish on top of a coat of matte will that dull the new satin coat?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 1, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Yes! Sorastro's Zombicide guide has exactly that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ The base-specific stuff starts at about 11 minutes in.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Imperial assault is basically Descent 3.0: Star Wars and also has the app-driven co-op variant. There is a massive improvement in mini quality too. Everything is a bit bigger and actually sculpted with painters in mind. Just don't try to paint all the storm troopers at once because you'll hate yourself.

The Descent 2.0 expansions are also great for painting. Just know the quality switchover for IA happened halfway through Descent's life cycle so early expansions (basically all but the last two box expansions) had the thin, tiny sculpts of the original games, and almost all the monster/hero packs have the cooler, larger sculpts. So the packs have awesome figures but they're noticeably larger and clash a bit with the original figures. They're a shitload more fun to paint though.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Imperial assault is basically Descent 3.0: Star Wars and also has the app-driven co-op variant. There is a massive improvement in mini quality too. Everything is a bit bigger and actually sculpted with painters in mind. Just don't try to paint all the storm troopers at once because you'll hate yourself.

The Descent 2.0 expansions are also great for painting. Just know the quality switchover for IA happened halfway through Descent's life cycle so early expansions (basically all but the last two box expansions) had the thin, tiny sculpts of the original games, and almost all the monster/hero packs have the cooler, larger sculpts. So the packs have awesome figures but they're noticeably larger and clash a bit with the original figures. They're a shitload more fun to paint though.

I've been keeping an eye on the app to see if they add any other campaigns for it, but it's good to know about the quality thing too!

As far as descent expansions go, I have a disgusting amount of them waiting for me when I get back from a work trip. I also looked into Valkyrie, the fan made coop campaign app to go along with Road to Legend. Even thinking about trying to contribute to it but i haven't done much with Unity (I think it's in unity...).

I just really wish I was into 40k gameplay because the figures are so neat but I ended up watching a playthrough last night and I just don't see myself enjoying it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I just really wish I was into 40k gameplay because the figures are so neat but I ended up watching a playthrough last night and I just don't see myself enjoying it.

Modeling is part of The Hobby (TM) (C) too. It's more usual for people to kind of triple-threat it (model, paint, play) but each leg certainly has people who are just into that particular aspect.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

I painted these in the last few days. They're the first 28mm vehicles I've ever done so be gentle

Nice! Well done, Phi!

Phi230 posted:

Should I give them a satin varnish or matte varnish? If I layer a satin varnish on top of a coat of matte will that dull the new satin coat?

I matte coat everything. Military paints (especially modern ones, but even as early as WWII) are very matte themselves, so applying a matte finish in a scale model will look fine.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It isn't out yet (soon) but Fallout Wasteland Warfare is pitched at narrative rather than competitive focus. It has an AI card mechanic so can be plaster solo or co-op. Check out Modiphius on YouTube for a play through video.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It tends to get a lot of hate, but the Zombicide games are right up that alley - tons of minis, a board, and co-op. GW has the Warhammer Quest Silver Tower game, which is co-op as well. There has never been a 40K co-op (though you can fudge Space Hulk,) but the upcoming Rogue Trader might follow the Silver Tower route and go co-op (I wouldn't hold my breath though.)

Not co-op, but Kill Team is coming out (probably withing the next month.) It's going to use very small forces (around 6 models) and be a skirmish game using different rules from 40K. Might be worth taking a look at.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

That's a nice looking beakie skelly-man!

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Chaplain Dreadnought conversion with REAL ZEALOUS GLARE ACTION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A thousand years of skeleton miniatures

(LED's are dope, grats on the walking skull)